The Flash (S3E09) -- Midseason Finale -- "The Present" -- 12/6/16

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
The Flash (S3E09) -- Midseason Finale -- "The Present" -- 12/6/16

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 6

THE FLASH

"The Present" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

BARRY SEEKS HELP FROM JAY GARRICK - With Alchemy and Savitar still looming threats, Barry (Grant Gustin) is unable to focus on the Christmas holiday, and especially his relationship with Iris (Candice Patton). Determined to stop Savitar, Barry goes to Earth-3 to get advice from Jay Garrick (guest star John Wesley Shipp). Wally (Keiynan Lonsdale) wants to help Barry fight Savitar and reveals that he's been training with H.R. (Tom Cavanagh), which doesn't go over well with Barry. As Cisco (Carlos Valdes) faces his first Christmas without his brother Dante (guest star Nicholas Gonzalez), old wounds are reopened. Rachel Talalay directed the episode with story by Aaron Helbing & Todd Helbing and teleplay by Lauren Certo (#309). Original airdate 12/6/2016.

Episode 9 of 23

Last episode of the year. Returns January 24th

Last edited by DJariya; 12-07-16 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-06-16, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: The Flash (S3E09) -- Midseason Finale -- "The Present" -- 12/6/16

The philosopher's stone?
Old 12-06-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
The philosopher's stone?
Well he is 'Alchemy', and I've always seen alchemy and the stone go hand in hand in pretty much any story to do with alchemy.
Old 12-07-16, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awwww... Wally got his suit for Christmas. The whole concern over him putting himself in harms way was just to keep him from guessing what was under the tree.

It is just me or has Iris been far less annoying since Flashpoint. Funny how they never mention that as one of the changes.

As much as the Alchemy buildup this season was so obvious (and thereby tedious) it still did seem to have a satisfying conclusion. Hopefully they move on to something better for the rest of this season. Bring back Grodd.
Old 12-07-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
It is just me or has Iris been far less annoying since Flashpoint. Funny how they never mention that as one of the changes.

Bring back Grodd.
I don't know if it's Flashpoint, but "Iris" has developed some chemistry with "Barry" that was seriously missing in the early days of the show. Grodd is returning.
My problem, -though, obviously, it doesn't keep me from watching the show, -is all the "Speedsters" and Speed obsession. It just seems like such a one-dimensional, incestuous storyline to pursue, as if Superman only fought super-strong Kryptonians and The Batman only fought masked vigilantes.
Old 12-07-16, 09:31 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Also, Danielle Panabaker is looking exceptionally good this season.
Old 12-07-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson
I don't know if it's Flashpoint, but "Iris" has developed some chemistry with "Barry" that was seriously missing in the early days of the show.
It did seem only start being consistent after Flashpoint. Before that is was only in the one-off alternate episodes where Iris was different in some way than the supposedly real one that was not his girlfriend.

My problem, -though, obviously, it doesn't keep me from watching the show, -is all the "Speedsters" and Speed obsession. It just seems like such a one-dimensional, incestuous storyline to pursue, as if Superman only fought super-strong Kryptonians and The Batman only fought masked vigilantes.
Seems like that is always defended with some form of who else can match up with Barry. I don't agree, but it's a very common defense.
Old 12-07-16, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

RE iris I think it is combination of things. First, she knows he is the Flash which was dragging down a lot of season one Iris storylines. And second she really isn't getting independent storylines this year. All of the stuff with Wally last year was just terrible.
Old 12-07-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
All of the stuff with Wally last year was just terrible.
I would argue anything with Wally is terrible. I don't like the character or actor much and the character is wholly unncessary and wastes valuable screen time.
Old 12-07-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I didn't like Wally's introduction much to the show but the character has been a lot better since they got over the rebellious teen phase.

They took the roundabout way of introducing Kid Flash to the show. I fully understand why they added a college kid to the show instead of a young teenager, but Kid Flash's story works better with him being younger when he gets powers.

All I will say about this episode is that it's very cool seeing Jay and Barry fighting crime together. I liked the surprise cameo by the Trickster on Jay's Earth.

Anyone want to guess which character dies in Savitar's prophecy? This is purely a guess but they could write Joe off.
Old 12-07-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Trickster cameo would have been a surprise if not for the listing of Mark Hamill as one of the guest stars at the opening. They probably have no choice, but I really hate it when they do that. Far beyond the Flash the practice has totally ruined the surprise of previously seen characters reappearing for that episode.
Old 12-07-16, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Anyone want to guess which character dies in Savitar's prophecy? This is purely a guess but they could write Joe off.
Did they not pretty much confirm it's Iris when BA temporarily jumped forward 5 months?
Old 12-07-16, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Did they not pretty much confirm it's Iris when BA temporarily jumped forward 5 months?
I don't think Iris is being written off the show. So no, I think someone else ends up dead.

Though death on a show with parallel dimensions and alternate timelines is always sketchy.
Old 12-07-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I don't think Iris is being written off the show. So no, I think someone else ends up dead.

Though death on a show with parallel dimensions and alternate timelines is always sketchy.
Obviously she's not going anywhere. But regardless I think the prophecy refers to Iris, but Barry will find a way to stop it, likely at the expense of someone else's life (hopefully the new pointless Wells).
Old 12-07-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of the regulars that don't change every year, I would say Joe and Wally are probably the most disposable. HR or Julian (he was in the room) are probably more likely.
Old 12-07-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Obviously she's not going anywhere. But regardless I think the prophecy refers to Iris, but Barry will find a way to stop it, likely at the expense of someone else's life (hopefully the new pointless Wells).

That whole thing seemed like yet another scenario where Barry finds a way to prevent it from happening such than none of the regulars end up dying. But it one has to go, yes, please let it be the current version of Wells.
Old 12-07-16, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I don't understand the whole reasoning around introducing Kid Flash this way.

I thought the whole point of Savatar giving back people their pre "Flashpoint" powers was to create anarchy. Wouldn't giving a hero back his powers (especially a speedster) be counter-intuitive to this?
Old 12-07-16, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Jay said the events of that scene take place 5 months from now, which would make it around the season finale range in May.

I could easily see the roles being reversed and Joe being taken out by Savitar. That would leave devastating consequences for Barry, Iris and Wally going forward. I am curious who the traitor is supposed to be.

Just to correct my OP, show doesn't come back until January 24th.
Old 12-07-16, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F

I thought the whole point of Savatar giving back people their pre "Flashpoint" powers was to create anarchy. Wouldn't giving a hero back his powers (especially a speedster) be counter-intuitive to this?
Not if he becomes the traitor.
Old 12-07-16, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F

Remember that Savitar has seen the future and knows what ultimately happens in that timeline. I'm guessing Kid Flash does something stupid that frees Savitar from his current prison.
Old 12-08-16, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Jay Garrick's head silhouette was in the frame when the team was discussing who was going to die. I say Jay dies somehow resets flashpoint at the season finale.
Old 12-08-16, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Jay Garrick's head silhouette was in the frame when the team was discussing who was going to die. I say Jay dies somehow resets flashpoint at the season finale.
I'd be really upset if they killed off Jay. We've gotten like two episodes with him as the Flash. I'm still kind of mad we haven't gotten his wife, Joan.
Old 12-08-16, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Loved seeing Jay and Barry work closely this episode even though this was some terrible CGI. Kind of thought Mark Hammil was totally wasted and they could have made better use of him than a cameo.
Old 12-08-16, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Loved seeing Jay and Barry work closely this episode even though this was some terrible CGI. Kind of thought Mark Hammil was totally wasted and they could have made better use of him than a cameo.
He can still come back in another episode. He clearly said he was going to get back at both Flashes when he was captured.
Old 12-08-16, 05:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Except that is was a homage to the old Flash series. Hamill is the only actor/villain they have from the old show so even putting him in a brief scene like this with Shipp is just supposed to be a little fanboy fun. Roll with it son.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.