DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Westworld (S1E10) -- 90 Minute Finale -- "The Bicameral Mind" -- 12/4/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/638353-westworld-s1e10-90-minute-finale-bicameral-mind-12-4-16-a.html)

DJariya 12-04-16 02:15 AM

Westworld (S1E10) -- 90 Minute Finale -- "The Bicameral Mind" -- 12/4/16

https://fsmedia.imgix.net/26/1f/81/0...,compress&q=75

Ford (Anthony Hopkins) unveils his bold new narrative; Dolores (Evan Rachel Wood) embraces her identity; Maeve (Thandie Newton) sets her plan in motion.

Written by Lisa Joy & Jonathan Nolan; directed by Jonathan Nolan.

Renewed for a 2nd season. Exact return date unknown, but possibly sometime in 2018.

MrX 12-04-16 10:31 PM

Re: Westworld (S1E10) -- 90 Minute Finale -- "The Bicameral Mind" -- 12/4/16

Well, I guess Anthony Hopkins making it to a second season is no longer a concern.

whotony 12-04-16 10:46 PM

One reply.

Anyway great season finale that ciuld have been a series ender too.

The only surprise for me was Dr Ford's story.

Wish there was more.

Also there was a tiny bit after the credits.

whotony 12-04-16 10:52 PM

Oh and Samurai World, it's complicated.

Plus a little nod to Planet of the Apes on the beach

Draven 12-04-16 10:53 PM

I haven't been following any of the speculation on the show so lots of surprises for me. Halfway through my wife says "I think that guy becomes Ed Harris" which was a bit of a mind-blow for me. I wasn't thinking multiple timelines at all.

Satisfying ending though I would have liked to see some of the slaughter that was coming at the gala. And loved seeing "Samurai World" :lol: Hope that stuff continues into Season 2.

Overall, a highly enjoyable Season 1!

anomynous 12-04-16 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by MrX (Post 12962186)
Well, I guess Anthony Hopkins making it to a second season is no longer a concern.

Unless that was the host we saw being built in that under-the-house lab the show never addressed again

whotony 12-04-16 11:01 PM

Ford had everything planned out.

having Maeve going on her narrative and thinking she was leaving is great.
This was Ford using her to keep the guards occupied while he had the robots murder the Board.

I wonder if William was murdered too.

whotony 12-04-16 11:09 PM

How about this theory on Ford.

The one that died was a robot, the one being created when Bernard killed

Anon posted this while I was typing Oh well. I agree

ben12 12-04-16 11:52 PM

I hope we get to see Eastworld next season.

slop101 12-05-16 12:07 AM

Was there nothing about what happened to little Hemsworth in this episode? Weird thread to dangle.

whotony 12-05-16 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by ben12 (Post 12962225)

Wow that's just genius. More please.

Why So Blu? 12-05-16 12:39 AM

There's a scene after the credits featuring the blonde that had her hand stuck in the door. Speaking of that blonde, I forget her name, she has a great body.

fumanstan 12-05-16 12:39 AM

Really enjoyable finale :up: They had to spell things out a little too much for the audience throughout the episode, but I'm glad that they addressed most/all of the plot lines for each character. And it really is interesting how theories online nailed a lot of the "twists" that happened way back in the 2nd episode.

The Maeve thing still confused me a little until whotony mentioned that it was to keep the guards busy. That makes more sense to me now as to what she was doing, knowing that she was still actually following orders. I have to say though, those were the worst security guards ever - I mean even after they shot dozens of them, and should know that they're hosts, the guards still barely got any shots off at all.

Decker 12-05-16 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by ben12 (Post 12962225)

It's Samurai World. There were SW logos all over.

Why So Blu? 12-05-16 12:50 AM

BTW, I told ya'll young William was Ed Harris. Surprised you guys didn't get it last week that they had to actually confirm it this week - even after the gifs told it all.

You're welcome.

;)

outcastja 12-05-16 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12962248)
Really enjoyable finale :up: They had to spell things out a little too much for the audience throughout the episode, but I'm glad that they addressed most/all of the plot lines for each character. And it really is interesting how theories online nailed a lot of the "twists" that happened way back in the 2nd episode.

I think for the second season I will have to stay off the Westworld subreddit, like you said everything they predicted has been spot since episode 2. While I enjoy reading up on weekly discussions, it does tend to ruin the twists and surprises. One great thing about LOST was that even with all the theories and speculation, no one had any clue what was going to happen next.

Overall, I did enjoy the show. I loved the use of Radiohead's Exit Music and the after credit scene, that's rarely done on a TV show, so it was a nice surprise. Can't wait for Samurai World.

JTH182 12-05-16 06:17 AM

I'm going to miss young William. I liked his storyline. Even though I knew he becomes the MiB, it was still a little sad to see the transformation. I suppose they can bring Jimmi Simpson back to flesh out his back story with the company more if they want.

It was pretty clear Hopkins would be the Ned Stark of this show, but they've left it open for him to come back, as pointed out above about the mystery host he was creating. I think that was more of a safety net for the writers than anything.

Did we ever find out about the transmissions being made by Arnold even though he's dead? Maybe I missed that. I suppose the stolen data, Dolores's walking USB father, and other things will be left for next season.

Overall: I LOVE THIS SHOW!

Groucho 12-05-16 07:56 AM

The "transmissions" from Arnold were Dolores inner monologue.

Cusm 12-05-16 08:02 AM

I missed the end credit scene, what happened?

Draven 12-05-16 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cusm (Post 12962317)
I missed the end credit scene, what happened?

The blonde with the snake tattoo jammed her knife into her stuck gun arm to manipulate it and pull the trigger to take out a guard, then she hacked the arm off, looked at the guards on the other side with blood all over her face and went to attack.

Cusm 12-05-16 08:27 AM

Thanks.

So I heard "Exit Music (For a Film)", what other songs did they play?

dex14 12-05-16 08:53 AM

Never thought I'd hear Glass Candy in a TV show. The music on this show was on point.

Dr. DVD 12-05-16 09:00 AM

Pretty good finale. The MIB theory was proven, though it started to become kind of obvious even if you didn't go to message boards. I figured Hopkins wouldn't be back after this year, and was kind of surprised they didn't off Harris as well. Wouldn't be surprised if we hear about him biting it in passing next season. The name actors served their purpose of getting the show off the ground, and it's all about the budget in the end.
I didn't really start to put the pieces of Maeve's story together until the final few minutes, so that was well done. However, the whole sequence of Hector with the pervert tech was the kind of stuff you see in typical horror sci-fi slashers. A bit dumb for this kind of series IMO. I was happy when it turned out Dolores and Teddy's rather cheesy moment on the beach was just something being staged for the board. Thought the writing was taking a real nose dive. :D At first I thought the people emerging from the woods were the retired hosts set free, but a closer look reveals it was Wyatt's henchmen. If you look in an earlier episode, their concept drawings are on the wall in one of the research offices presumably being used for Ford's narrative.
The writers said that the first season was about control and the second will be about chaos. I thought they were going to take an X-Men route with Dolores and her hosts wanting to live in harmony with humans against Maeve and her evil hosts wanting to wipe them out. Obviously I was wrong about who's playing the Magneto role. ;) Teddy and Bernard seemed alarmed by Dolores/Wyatt's actions , so I am thinking the will not be 100% on board with her. Wood played the final few minutes as straight out villain complete with the same evil smirk she had on True Blood. I hope that doesn't mean she'll be playing the role over the top next season, that would get annoying fast. However, I do think the prospect of Wyatt with Armistice as her evil right hand is fun.

Last point: anyone else think it was odd that no one said anything about a well dressed blonde approaching Ford with a not so well hidden gun behind her back?

starseed1981 12-05-16 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cusm (Post 12962331)
Thanks.

So I heard "Exit Music (For a Film)", what other songs did they play?

Earlier in the season they used "Fake Plastic Trees" and "Motion Picture Soundtrack".

Overall, I think this was HBO's best freshman bow since Game Of Thrones. The final third of the season in particular was great. It's interesting because there isn't a single original idea in this show but the way it all comes together is fantastic.

Geofferson 12-05-16 10:07 AM

I'm likely in the minority, but I grew increasingly frustrated with this show. I've always enjoyed the original movie (and its underrated, nearly forgotten sequel).

This show didn't lack in aspirations and creativity, but made comprimises in an effort to achieve strides in both. I think many viewers had figured out the William/MIB connection prior to the finale, so was a little dismayed when seeing so much time dedicated to explaining that plot point.

In the end, I liked Maeve and the evolution of her character. Though how she was able to successfully board the train w/o armed guards waiting for her once the elevator door opened, doesn't compute. I did like the juxtaposition of William/MIB and the journey of that storyline - though feel it was drawn-out far too long for what it needed to be. The MIB's grin in that final scene was perfect.

As already stated, fantastic score and what hasn't been mentioned enough, is the cinematography and scenery. Truly one of the better looking shows we've seen in quite some time.