DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Timeless (S1E08) -- "Space Race" -- 11/28/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/638279-timeless-s1e08-space-race-11-28-16-a.html)

DJariya 11-28-16 01:37 PM

Timeless (S1E08) -- "Space Race" -- 11/28/16

https://www.nbc.com/sites/nbcunbc/fi...?itok=040BJfFd

"TIMELESS"

"SPACE RACE" ORIGINAL

11/28/2016 (10:01PM - 11:00PM) (Monday) : THE TEAM IS ON THE CLOCK DURING AMERICA'S FINEST HOUR. As the nation waits to hear the fate of the astronauts of Apollo 11, Flynn (Goran Visnjic) arrives near mission control, intending to rewrite the events of that momentous day. Hot on his trail, Lucy (Abigail Spencer), Wyatt (Matt Lanter), and Rufus (Malcolm Barrett ) need to be bolder than ever and call upon one of history's unsung heroes if they're going to have a shot at setting things right. Also starring Paterson Joseph, Sakina Jaffrey and Claudia Doumit. Guest starring Matt Frewer, Nadine Ellis and Caitlin Carver. TV-PG L, V

Episode 8 of 16

Superman07 11-28-16 04:33 PM

Re: Timeless (S1E08) -- "Space Race" -- 11/28/16

I wonder what's going to happen in terms of the trio figure out

1)that Rittenhouse is real
2) that Flynn may actually be on the "good" side.

Maybe they'll end up seeing some sort of positive affect from his changes?

Joe Schmoe 11-28-16 11:32 PM

So Flynn altered history for personal gain while on this trip, but what would Rittenhouse gain by stranding U.S. astronauts on the moon? I sure hope at some point their motive behind each trip this season is made clear.

Rex Fenestrarum 11-29-16 02:12 AM

Am I the only person who can't tell the difference between Caitlin Carver and Brooke Lyons? It's not even that they "look like twins".. to me they look like clones.

MScottM 11-29-16 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe (Post 12957735)
So Flynn altered history for personal gain while on this trip, but what would Rittenhouse gain by stranding U.S. astronauts on the moon? I sure hope at some point their motive behind each trip this season is made clear.

Flynn doesn't work for Rittenhouse, he is trying to fight them. Rittenhouse wasn't trying to strand the astronauts, Flynn was. Flynn's goal this time as with every other time appears to be to weaken America from a historic view. If the astronauts would have been lost on the moon, the space program would have suffered a very damaging blow from which it may not have recovered and the Soviets might have taken the lead in the space race from that point.

Each time they go back to the past, Flynn is trying to do something that hurts America since Rittenhouse seems to be entwined in the very fabric of what makes America. So if he hurts America, he hurts Rittenhouse.

Superman07 11-29-16 10:11 PM

Good episode, and most excellent misdirect. I thought Flynn was up to something nefarious, only to be visiting his mother (while saving his half brother!). I suspect little nuggets like these will add up for our intrepid trio to make a decision on Flynn's merits in the coming episodes. Likely at some pivotal juncture.

Anybody else notice Wyatt's reaction when Lucy brought up the deal to save her sister? Plus, would saving her sister st some point unravel everything Flynn has been working for and give Rittenhouse power back?

I think one thing this series is doing well, and I've seen the producers speak to, is leveraging behind the scenes historic figure while the major events serve as the backdrop. They're also figuring out a good balance to let the characters develop as a group while moving the plot along.

One thing on this episode that was bugging me. Would they really have had keyboards and PC monitors with green screens? I think possibly as they were NASA with a massive budget, but I didn't think those came around until the early 80s.

resinrats 11-29-16 10:59 PM

I enjoy the show even if it does have some plot hole issues. But to be honest, pretty much EVERY time travel show has these issues.

The first episode altered history enough that Lucy's mom was fine, sister was gone & she was engaged. Since then, no matter how much history is altered, it doesn't seem to effect their lives. No changes in their lives or the lives of the people working at the company.

LOL if Rufus played dumb to Rittenhouse about the recordings. "What recordings, you never told me to record stuff" How would they know time hadn't been altered and they hadn't told him to record.

BTW, they know where Flynn grew up. They have a time machine. The old 'I'd go back and kill Hitler' think should have been thought of. Go back and kill Flynn as a 8 year old. Or bring him into the future if they don't want to kill him. Hell, just go back a week before he stole the time machine and Tanya Harding his kneecaps as he walks out of Burger King so he's in the hospital for a month.

mphtrilogy 11-30-16 07:34 AM

Ok so Flynn saves his 1/2 brother but they kill a couple of innocent guys in the meantime, not exactly a nice guy.

And yeah, just take the time machine back and wipe Flynn out from existence...

Still enjoying the show though

Joe Schmoe 11-30-16 01:36 PM

Wouldn't someone continue Flynn's work if he were killed?

Raul3 11-30-16 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum (Post 12957765)
Am I the only person who can't tell the difference between Caitlin Carver and Brooke Lyons? It's not even that they "look like twins".. to me they look like clones.

don't be racist! do all white people (women) look the same to you?

;)

PhantomStranger 12-01-16 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum (Post 12957765)

They have similar looks but I suspect you would notice more differences in person. Photographs are usually terrible ways to judge how people look since our eyes are trained for 3-D people.

DJariya 12-01-16 06:41 PM

I thought this was an interesting episode. Especially with Flynn saving his half brother. Seemed like nothing was really altered after the trio managed to save the moon landing.

:lol: at Rufus getting frustrated with 60's computer technology.

One thing I do like is how the makeup and costume department always makes Abigail Spencer look gorgeous, especially in the period attire.

TerryW 12-01-16 07:39 PM

They always talk about the possibility of changing the past and already have yet in this episode it looks like if our team hadn't been there the tech chick in the basement wouldn't have been able to save the crew by herself. How did she do it without them? Or, were they always there to help?

Superman07 12-01-16 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by TerryW (Post 12960139)
They always talk about the possibility of changing the past and already have yet in this episode it looks like if our team hadn't been there the tech chick in the basement wouldn't have been able to save the crew by herself. How did she do it without them? Or, were they always there to help?

Well originally I don't think there was a problem, so her skills were not needed. If Flynn had been there and our trio had not been there then she would not have been able to help because she didn't have the knowledge. It was the combination of her knowing how to use the mainframe and Rufus knowing how to counter the computer virus.

Also, some people have mentioned there have not been changes to history. That is not true. On most trips they have come back to recount the new history and how their trip affected things. In some situations it's large - like the Hindenburg - but others it has been small - like the journal entry about a white orb in the forest. I don't think they will all have changes to impact the trio so closely like removing Lucy's sister. Plus it's possible Flynn did that to set a series of events in motion.

randian 12-01-16 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 12960212)
Also, some people have mentioned there have not been changes to history. That is not true. On most trips they have come back to recount the new history and how their trip affected things. In some situations it's large - like the Hindenburg - but others it has been small - like the journal entry about a white orb in the forest.

And those are only the changes they know about. There are no doubt numerous changes they don't.

TerryW 12-02-16 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 12960212)
Well originally I don't think there was a problem, so her skills were not needed. If Flynn had been there and our trio had not been there then she would not have been able to help because she didn't have the knowledge. It was the combination of her knowing how to use the mainframe and Rufus knowing how to counter the computer virus.

Rufus looked at the woman and said she was his hero because she was instrumental in saving the crew but got no credit for it. He even said 'remember the film Apollo 13? She was never mentioned.'

mphtrilogy 12-02-16 07:26 AM

Ties into the movie for next month that looks pretty good:

Hidden Figures

Release Date: January 6th, 2017
PG|
Plot Summary
Three brilliant African-American women at NASA -- Katherine Johnson (Taraji P. Henson), Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer) and Mary Jackson (Janelle Monáe) -- serve as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glenn (Glen Powell) into orbit, a stunning achievement that restored the nation's confidence, turned around the Space Race and galvanized the world.
Cast: Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, Janelle Monáe, Kevin Costner, Mahershala Ali, Jim Parsons, Kimberly Quinn, Kirsten Dunst
Director: Theodore Melfi
Genres: Historical drama
Distributor: 20th Century Fox

hdnmickey 12-02-16 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by TerryW (Post 12960139)

Maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed like Rufus was aware of her because she got a lot of credit long after the fact. Like in the original Apollo 11 project she is was the one that did the majority of the behind the scenes work that got them on and off the moon.

When things were changed up by the virus is seemed like they didn't know she was down there and Rufus would know how to use her to quickly put the computers back online.

whotony 12-04-16 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy (Post 12960385)
Ties into the movie for next month that looks pretty good:

What?

DJariya 12-04-16 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 12961638)
What?

The Katherine Johnson character, the black woman with glasses, is a famous real life mathematician. She is also the subject of that movie that he mentioned. Taraji P. Henson plays the character in that movie.

MikahC 12-05-16 02:50 PM

That's what I like about this show... all the little cliff-notes history lessons.

I hadn't heard anything about the movie Hidden Figures or Katharine Johnson. I don't anticipate going to the theater to see it, but it's definitely something I'd like to watch when it hits Netflix or Blu-Ray.

JimRochester 12-05-16 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe (Post 12957735)

Week after week, same answer. Enjoying the historical and nostalgic looks back but frustrated at the cloudy reasoning behind what is going on.

hdnmickey 12-05-16 03:55 PM

The implication seemed to be that if the Apollo 11 was seen a failure, the Soviet Space and Defense programs would get a huge boost. Not a new theory by any means.