DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Westworld (S1E09) -- "Well-Tempered Clavier" -- 11/27/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/638262-westworld-s1e09-well-tempered-clavier-11-27-16-a.html)

DJariya 11-27-16 04:41 PM

Westworld (S1E09) -- "Well-Tempered Clavier" -- 11/27/16

http://i2.wp.com/www.slashfilm.com/w...-Clavier-1.jpg

Dolores (Evan Rachel Wood) and Bernard (Jeffrey Wright) reconnect with their pasts; Maeve (Thandie Newton) makes a bold proposition to Hector (Rodrigo Santoro); Teddy (James Marsden) finds enlightenment, at a price.

Written by Dan Dietz & Katherine Lingenfelter; directed by Michelle MacLaren.

Episode 9 of 10

Jay G. 11-27-16 10:12 PM

Re: Westworld (S1E09) -- "Well-Tempered Clavier" -- 11/27/16

So, some big reveals this episode, namely that finally Bernard is confirmed to be a host clone of Arnold.

Maeve now has an "army" of one, Hector. Although maybe she's planning something more.

I'm wondering what Ford's reasoning is for digging up the old town for his "new narrative" is. The "Wyatt" massacre now seems closer to the original massacre that Delores was part of. I was thinking that Teddy may actually be "Wyatt," and his men are trying to wake him to that, although another possibility I've heard is that Delores is Wyatt. It's also odd that the woman that "killed" Teddy deliberately did so in order for him to loop again, suggesting the Wyatt hosts are somewhat aware of being hosts.

DVD Josh 11-27-16 10:55 PM

Fantastic episode. Too bad this show is 18 months from coming back :(

The Questyen 11-27-16 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 12956888)
Fantastic episode. Too bad this show is 18 months from coming back :(

You mean besides the episode that airs next week.

Decker 11-28-16 08:42 AM

I feel it's getting too convoluted for its own good. Lots of things now that I'm a little bit fuzzy on. Starting with why kill Bernard when you can just wipe his memory (and how did Maeve know he was a Host in the first place)? When folks discover his "body" there will be a lot of questions raised. Plus now they've killed half of the series' regulars who run the park, making the behind the scenes stuff a lot less interesting moving forward.

TerryW 11-28-16 09:01 AM

Maeve is literally the smartest in the park with her modifications. She knows who all the hosts are and can control them.

DVD Josh 11-28-16 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 12956898)
You mean besides the episode that airs next week.

Well, duh.

Why So Blu? 11-28-16 10:57 AM

Ed Harris is a high official/boardmember of the company. I thought he was from the outside. That was a great episode, too.

Good to see Clementine back. :hump:

https://images.moviepilot.com/images...-westworld.jpg

Deftones 11-28-16 10:59 AM

So is there nobody still around who worked with Arnold in the past? Seems odd that Ford would create clone of such a prominent person yet nobody knows.

Raul3 11-28-16 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 12957113)
So is there nobody still around who worked with Arnold in the past? Seems odd that Ford would create clone of such a prominent person yet nobody knows.

At least the board should know.

But we have to wait until next week episode to rewatch the entire series and check every interaction Bernard had with "real" people. Or just read reddit.

Kind of a plot hole to me, it may have already mentioned, how como a low tech can grant god mode to a host? I would guess that only Ford would be able to do that.

Can Ford control Maeve with the back door password?

DVD Josh 11-28-16 12:36 PM

Dr. Ford - "I'd like to introduce everyone to our new director of behavior - Bernard Lowe."

Everyone - "Uh, what? He looks just like that dude in the picture on your desk except he hasn't aged a day."

20 years later -

Everyone "So, why hasn't this Bernard dude aged a day yet?"

It's a deep, deep hole.

Jay G. 11-28-16 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12957111)
Ed Harris is a high official/boardmember of the company. I thought he was from the outside.

Board members don't really do to much. Considering the size of his investment in the company, he probably was awarded a board seat just based on percentage of ownership.

The shot of bodies laying in the lab under the church suggests that whatever caused Delores to kill Arnold may have also killed off a lot of the other early people involved as well. Ford may have waited to create Bernard until after the memory of Arnold had been almost completely erased, and may be playing games with employee retention to keep down suspicions.

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 12957176)
At least the board should know.

If the board knew you'd think they'd at least tell Theresa. Maybe there's been enough turnover in the board that nobody's there from the beginning, and Ford could be hiding Bernard from outsiders.

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 12957176)
Kind of a plot hole to me, it may have already mentioned, how [come] a low tech can grant god mode to a host? I would guess that only Ford would be able to do that.

They explained in the episode where it happened that the tech in question, Sylvester, figured out a way to hack into the hosts, even though he doesn't have authorized access. He was using it to pimp out the hosts to the other techs, wiping their memories afterward. He didn't normally change settings since he knew that if a higher-up tech ran an analysis of the host during a check-up, they'd see the changed settings.

We previously saw both QA and Behavioral change some of Maeve's personality settings to try and get her better at propositioning guests, so it's not just Ford that has access, although for at least the Intelligence setting the techs aren't supposed to go over 14 (I don't know if their access is actually restricted, or if it's more of a procedural restriction).

Why So Blu? 11-28-16 12:57 PM

Board members don't really do to much. Considering the size of his investment in the company, he probably was awarded a board seat just based on percentage of ownership.

Ah, gotcha.

Eric F 11-28-16 02:57 PM

You would think Ed Harris' character would know, considering he's a big investor in the park and a board member.

Jay G. 11-28-16 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 12957372)
You would think Ed Harris' character would know, considering he's a big investor in the park and a board member.

The indications are he bought into the park after Arnold had already died, especially if he turns out to be either William or Logan (neither of whom even knew Arnold's name).

Giantrobo 11-28-16 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12957011)
I feel it's getting too convoluted for its own good. Lots of things now that I'm a little bit fuzzy on. Starting with why kill Bernard when you can just wipe his memory (and how did Maeve know he was a Host in the first place)? When folks discover his "body" there will be a lot of questions raised. Plus now they've killed half of the series' regulars who run the park, making the behind the scenes stuff a lot less interesting moving forward.

-From what I can tell he killed Bernhard because they've been down that wipe his mind path many times apparently. So Ford felt it was time to retire Bernhard at this point.

-Maeve has been ramped up to "SuperHost". She can even control other Hosts. Detecting when someone is a host doesn't seem far fetched.

johnnysd 11-28-16 09:34 PM

They covered the Arnold thing in one of the episodes. In the early days there were only the three working there and no one knew what Arnold looked like.

Early man in black guy seemed to already have flipped out in the past so not sure what the test with killing Maeve was all about or if it was a lie.

Did not see Delores being Wyatt but it makes a lot of sense. We thought the scenes with Bernard were AFTER but they were BEFORE and with the real Arnold.

Thought Hopkins would be 1 and out but he seems to likely be back along with Harris and ERW. Everyone else might be new though.

DVD Josh 11-28-16 10:13 PM

Very little participation this week. Wonder what that means.

Bill Needle 11-28-16 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12957011)
I feel it's getting too convoluted for its own good. Lots of things now that I'm a little bit fuzzy on.

That's my one issue...it seems to be complicated for the sake of being complicated. Like they are trying a little too hard. The story and performances are all strong enough without having to rely on glitzy plot twists.

Deftones 11-28-16 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 12957696)
Very little participation this week. Wonder what that means.

That it was a holiday weekend and many people haven't had the chance to watch?

Decker 11-29-16 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 12957712)
That's my one issue...it seems to be complicated for the sake of being complicated. Like they are trying a little too hard. The story and performances are all strong enough without having to rely on glitzy plot twists.

They really are trying way too hard to be clever. It's taking a lot of the enjoyment out of the show for me. My (and many other people's) favorite story-line is Maeve's, and that not coincidentally is the most straightforward story in the show.

I've had to resort to Vanity Fair for full explanations of the show now. The writer does a really good job breaking down both the obvious (William's story) and the obscure (Ford's motivations)

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...mpered-clavier

slop101 11-29-16 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 12957221)
Dr. Ford - "I'd like to introduce everyone to our new director of behavior - Bernard Lowe."

Everyone - "Uh, what? He looks just like that dude in the picture on your desk except he hasn't aged a day."

20 years later -

Everyone "So, why hasn't this Bernard dude aged a day yet?"

It's a deep, deep hole.

This.

Almost everyone in the modern world has pictures of themselves out there, brought up with a quick google search. In the future of Westworld? Forget about it! Not to mention one of it's creators. It would be like having someone that looks exactly like Walt Disney being the manager of Disney animation studios, now, with no one noticing. Bull and shit.

Bill Needle 11-29-16 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12957748)
It would be like having someone that looks exactly like Walt Disney being the manager of Disney animation studios, now, with no one noticing. Bull and shit.

http://gomerblog.wpengine.com/wp-con...lt-300x171.jpg

But his name isn't Arnold. It's Bernard.

JTH182 11-29-16 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12957746)
They really are trying way too hard to be clever. It's taking a lot of the enjoyment out of the show for me. My (and many other people's) favorite story-line is Maeve's, and that not coincidentally is the most straightforward story in the show.

I've had to resort to Vanity Fair for full explanations of the show now. The writer does a really good job breaking down both the obvious (William's story) and the obscure (Ford's motivations)

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...mpered-clavier

Is there an easy way to find all of her articles in order? The couple I read are very well done.

Jay G. 11-29-16 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12957748)
Almost everyone in the modern world has pictures of themselves out there, brought up with a quick google search. In the future of Westworld? Forget about it! Not to mention one of it's creators. It would be like having someone that looks exactly like Walt Disney being the manager of Disney animation studios, now, with no one noticing. Bull and shit.

Actually it'd be like nobody knowing who Ub Iwerks is, when the guy co-created Mickey Mouse and actually animated Steamboat Willie, along with a lot of the early Disney cartoons:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ub_Iwerks

Also, keep in mind that Arnold was reportedly a recluse, and Ford mentioned that the board wiped away his history with the park. So maybe pics on the web exist, but not in connection with the park, and his involvement with the park isn't well known, especially since he died before the park opened and the publicity machine kicked in. I mean, we don't even know his last name.