Search this Thread

Old 12-01-16, 11:35 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S7E06) -- "Swear" -- 11/27/16

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Celebs have the money to lose baby weight right away so she has no excuse
Wow. That's how it works, eh? Maybe shit's a little bit more complicated than that. Try being a new mother.

Originally Posted by funkyryno
Yet viewers are somehow cold, senseless trolls for noticing how a mediocre actress and uninteresting character had actually managed to put on weight during the walker apocalypse.
Nothing wrong with noticing. But yes, viewers that have sent her hateful messages because of it are cold, senseless trolls assholes.

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Don't cast obese actors and actresses, and certainly don't cast people that are going to get bigger over the course of the series when the in world you want us to buy into where everybody should losing weight, or at worst, staying the same.
"Don't cast women who can get pregnant."

Sure she looks fine for the typical American, say if you saw her shopping at Walmart or eating at McDonald's, she'd fit right in. But on a show where people are starving and practicing cannibalism to survive she and several of her co-stars totally look out of place.
Right, because the characters' weight is where we should be drawing the line in regard to the suspension of disbelief in a fucking zombie show.

Originally Posted by Coral
Tara and a few other characters need to lose weight for their role.
And yet, the producers didn't kick her off the show. Fancy that.
It has nothing to do with body-shaming... it's role-preparation shaming.
Oh, it's most definitely the former.

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Yeah, fuck you. She looks fine, and the comments about her weight are stupid. Just like the people who make them.
Old 12-02-16, 07:39 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Yeah, fuck you. She looks fine, and the comments about her weight are stupid. Just like the people who make them.
No, you're stupid

Sure she looks fine for the typical American, say if you saw her shopping at Walmart or eating at McDonald's, she'd fit right in. But on a show where people are starving and practicing cannibalism to survive she and several of her co-stars totally look out of place.
I may or may not have written my above post after having a few beers, which may or may not have caused me to be overly harsh. But I still think that talk about the "reality" of characters gaining weight in the context of a show about zombies is kind of missing the point.
Old 12-02-16, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't cast obese actors and actresses, and certainly don't cast people that are going to get bigger over the course of the series when the in world you want us to buy into where everybody should losing weight, or at worst, staying the same.
Old 12-02-16, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...Morbidly+obese

Now the actor's weight has fluctuated a little during his time on the show, but he sure looks like somebody with a BMI higher than 30 to me.

Old 12-02-16, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
"Don't cast women who can get pregnant."
Because no actresses have ever had kids and ended in the same shape they were before the pregnancy. Your'e going to have to try harder if you want to try and twist me comment into something about all women.
Old 12-02-16, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...Morbidly+obese

Now the actor's weight has fluctuated a little during his time on the show, but he sure looks like somebody with a BMI higher than 30 to me.

Maybe he weighed, like, 800 pounds before the zombie apocalypse.
Old 12-02-16, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
Any female celebrity who weighs more than 100 pounds is a fat disgusting pig. Didn't you get the memo?
Old 12-02-16, 08:55 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Because no actresses have ever had kids and ended in the same shape they were before the pregnancy.
So, because some women can do it (and that's likely a tiny percentage, by the way), then ALL women should be expected to? That's the point you're making, yes?

Your'e going to have to try harder if you want to try and twist me comment into something about all women.
No twisting required.

Whatever. If anything, this just goes to show how bad this episode was; where some dudes have nothing left to discuss but the weight of one of the B-level characters.

Unrelated:
I think they're killing her off anyway. The MO of the show seems to be to give B characters some extra story shortly before they get murdered/eaten. A whole episode for Tara? Yeah, she's zombie meat.
Old 12-02-16, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
So, because some women can do it (and that's likely a tiny percentage, by the way), then ALL women should be expected to? That's the point you're making, yes?
For what I have seen it's been far more than just some. Especially young actresses. And I certainly didn't even imply it's was ALL.

I think they're killing her off anyway. The MO of the show seems to be to give B characters some extra story shortly before they get murdered/eaten. A whole episode for Tara? Yeah, she's zombie meat.
On that we agree. If not munched by Zombies, then certainly a victim to the dealing with the Saviors.
Old 12-02-16, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Oh, it's most definitely the former.
Maybe for some people, but I've commented on some actors not looking right for the environment/situation on this series for a while now. Tara isn't anything new.
Old 12-02-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Imagine the outrage if they kill her off though. "OMG THEY KILLED HER BECAUSE SHE GOT FAT!!!>!" Boycotts would be organized, Alanna would post another tirade, fatties worldwide would come together and protest.
Old 12-02-16, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=Dan;12960296]Wow. That's how it works, eh? Maybe shit's a little bit more complicated than that. Try being a new mother.

It's pretty shitty how u took one little snippet from my entire post & spun it like I was making fun of her weight when I was defending her.

And yeah, it's a fact. Female celebrities usually look like themselves shortly after giving birth.
Old 12-02-16, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

My feeling is the negative attention on Masteron's weight is somewhat of a referendum on the quality of the season and the episode specifically. It's like people are saying "fine, you're going to force us to watch a Tara episode, we're going to let her have it for being fat."

No way she gets this kind of negative attention if they didn't dedicate a larger than usual (pun!) episode to her character.
Old 12-02-16, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Maybe for some people, but I've commented on some actors not looking right for the environment/situation on this series for a while now. Tara isn't anything new.
It's a slippery slope. Next you will want actors playing miners trapped underground for two months not to show up to the set with a fresh tan. Body shaming is never cool man!
Old 12-02-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

The Walking Dead has MUCH bigger narrative/logic/continuity issues than the apparent fluctuating weight (due to a REAL LIFE pregnancy) of a secondary character. I say 'apparent' only because I didn't even fixate on it/notice it during the ep. I was too distracted (re: dulled) by the storytelling.

I still watch the show, but my expectations are typically low and for the most part I'm satisfied.
The 'Tara' ep seemed odd from a storytelling standpoint to give that particular character (and I even like the character, as opposed to say Aaron) center stage, but I have become used to misfires over the course of a season.

It's not a documentary. It's a show about a post-zombie apocalypse world. It does some stuff right. It does some stuff wrong. When the scales tip too much into the 'wrong' area I will be done with the show and walk away. Until then I take the good with the bad and invest my 60 minutes or so each week hoping for the best.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 12-02-16 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-02-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

They should hire that actress from "This is Us". She's willing to lose weight for the role. In fact, it's in her contract that she has to lose weight.

I'm glad Negan didn't kill Aaron. He's had such a great character arc this season.
Old 12-02-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
I still watch the show, but my expectations are typically low and for the most part I'm satisfied.
The 'Tara' ep seemed odd from a storytelling standpoint to give that particular character (and I even like the character, as opposed to say an Aaron-centric ep) center stage, but I have become used to misfires over the course of a season.
The negative response comes from the show forcing viewers to sit through the adventures of a very minor character while most of the major characters this season have barely been seen. No one can seriously say they gave a lot of thought to Tara as compared to the many, many other characters already on the show. I completely forgot she was even in the show since the last time she was shown. You get 16 episodes per year and one of them was just thrown away.
Old 12-02-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
The negative response comes from the show forcing viewers to sit through the adventures of a very minor character while most of the major characters this season have barely been seen.
Agreed.
I do find the so-called body-shaming posts/comments (for lack of a better term) to be unnecessary and childish, fwiw. But it's not the first time and it won't be the last.
I would take that TV show rage out on the writers/showrunner first. Like I said, the show seems to have other problems.

I thought Alanna's online response was perfect.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 12-02-16 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-02-16, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed.
I do find the so-called body-shaming posts/comments (for lack of a better term) to be unnecessary and childish, fwiw. But it's not the first time and it won't be the last.
I would take that TV show rage out on the writers/showrunner first. Like I said, the show seems to have other problems.

I thought Alanna's online response was perfect.
I doubt anyone could care less how heavy she wants to be in her personal life. But you can't have her portray a concentration camp inmate or starving zombie apocalypse survivor and expect no one to notice. She spoke lines of dialog about how little she has been eating for crying out loud. At least cut those lines maybe? There's a reason that Matt Damon wouldn't be cast in the lead of an MLK biopic, and it isn't related to body shaming.
Old 12-02-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm the last person you will find getting into any kind of body shaming. Those accusations have been flat out ridiculous.

The simple fact is that many of those actors are not a fit for a world where they are telling us food has been hard to come by for over a year. People lose huge percentages of body mass after only months of getting far fewer calories. If you tell me I should just overlook that, you don't get to ever point out any continuity issues on any shows like this.
Old 12-02-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm more concerned about why all the gas hasn't gone bad yet.
Old 12-02-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by windom
i'm more concerned about why all the gas hasn't gone bad yet.
who cuts the grass?
Old 12-02-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

If the show was doing better in terms of people liking it, no one but the Nerdiest of fans would even comment on the weight issue. People are now nitpicking shit just because they've ran out of shit to bitch about.
Old 12-02-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

who cuts the grass?
Old 12-02-16, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh DVDTalk, you never disappoint me. Anyways...

who cuts the grass?
Exactly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.