DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Snowpiercer (Now on AMC) -- S: Jennifer Connelly, Daveed Diggs (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/638181-snowpiercer-now-amc-s-jennifer-connelly-daveed-diggs.html)

ctyankee 05-20-20 01:17 PM

re: Snowpiercer (Now on AMC) -- S: Jennifer Connelly, Daveed Diggs

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 13743728)
I have the same problem with the TV show as I had with the movie. The basis for the show seems all parable and not at all realistic. That is, why do they have to be on a freakin' train? If there's enough technology to build tracks around the world and power a 1000-car train indefinitely, it would seem there would be enough technology to build a stationary city. The train concept works well in Kim Stanley Robinson's novel 2312, with the moving city on Mercury, staying in the temperate shadow. But it seems to make no sense on earth, even a frozen one. Why does moving help? And if they have to move, why a train? There's nothing else in the way now, so why not a gigantic moving city?

Agreed. Parables are fine if you're 5 (or rather slow upstairs), but it's hard to invest in the show when it seems so preposterous. In Sci-Fi, if they tell you that the ship can move at light speed, yeah, you swallow and go with it. However, when you know trains run on tracks that need constant care and maintenance, that's a bridge too far. In reality, after the first last car uprising and they don't kill them all, it's a bit like a bad James Bond movie when they don't kill 007 immediately with a gun. Nope, they have to put him in a room with frickin' lasers strapped to sharks. The show must go on.

Abob Teff 05-24-20 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 13744157)
Have they explained why they haven't just booted all of the tailors off the train? Why did they let them stay on at the beginning? Free labor?

If they threw the tailors off, there would be nobody to alter their suits and dresses.

Honestly, I think we’ll find out they “need” them to maintain order through some semblance of a class or hierarchy system. Elites aren’t elite if there is nobody below them. There has to be somebody to blame for problems. Kind of like how the Matrix had to have shitty parts for people to accept it.

Abob Teff 05-24-20 07:45 PM

Probably a bit late with this warning ... but check your DVR.

Golf ran a half hour over, so my recording is going to cut off in the middle of the new episode tonight. Glad I just happened to check this and set it to record the next hour as well.

mwbmis 05-25-20 03:38 PM

I went to watch it this afternoon. This is the one original program TNT is currently airing, and it gets screwed up by a time overrun. Reset it to record tomorrow night.

TGM 05-29-20 02:43 PM

can we talk about the ridiculous science of it all... I mean, makes I guess for compelling drama, but can anybody explain to me how the moving train around the world was ever good and sustainable idea?

fujishig 06-09-20 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13746747)
Probably a bit late with this warning ... but check your DVR.

Golf ran a half hour over, so my recording is going to cut off in the middle of the new episode tonight. Glad I just happened to check this and set it to record the next hour as well.

I just got to this episode yesterday to find that it only taped half of it and there were no more airings. But thankfully it was still available on demand. I would have dropped it instantly if not for that, what a terrible decision (at least pad your schedule... a full half hour late?)

Also I still don't understand why more than one person has complained about the feasibility of the central concept. It's a sci fi concept that stands out. It's like going into a show like Supergirl and saying "there aren't any aliens and people can't fly, what's up with this show?" I fully support criticizing inconsistencies in the plot, but you have to suspend your disbelief for at least the central concept of the show.

ctyankee 06-11-20 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13755319)
Also I still don't understand why more than one person has complained about the feasibility of the central concept. It's a sci fi concept that stands out. It's like going into a show like Supergirl and saying "there aren't any aliens and people can't fly, what's up with this show?" I fully support criticizing inconsistencies in the plot, but you have to suspend your disbelief for at least the central concept of the show.

And I don't understand how you don't understand the difference. Tell me there are aliens and I'm good. Tell me that the alien can fly and I'm good. Tell me that a space ship can fly at the speed of light and I'm good. Tell me that a train can go bombing through mountain passes for 7 years without track maintenance and I've got a problem. So ... what's the difference? We know how trains work. We know how avalanches work. That's the difference.

That said, the latest episode was pretty cool. Our femme fatale showed herself.

ctyankee

Abob Teff 06-11-20 01:28 PM

Haven't watched this week's episode yet ...

My personal rule with sci-fi/fantasy is you get "one concession" from me. That includes tangents. When you start pulling new things out of thin air and asking me for concessions we are going to have a problem. For example: I have no issue with the perpetual motion train and the track maintenance -- I'm giving you that. I'll go with the concept. However, if you get into a bind in season 2 and try to tell me that the train can hover and get over obstacles that way, you blew it.

(Looking at you Walking Dead and Star Wars.)

The show runners write the rules early in the run and I hold them accountable. As a viewer, if you can't get past the initial conceit, then it probably isn't for you.

fujishig 06-11-20 01:43 PM

Yeah, I guess I can understand having a hard time suspending disbelief when you know the science they're peddling is BS and it's set in present times. Like making up network protocols for a "hacker" to seem smart in a show or something. This, however, is a futuristic sci-fi train, so I consider it to run on magic sci-fi pixie dust. Agree with Abob Teff that they have to then keep it consistent in their own universe and not pull things out of their rear, but I can usually overlook the initial concept. Now when characters act inanely and plotlines get convoluted, complain away. :)

Josh-da-man 06-11-20 02:51 PM

The obvious answer to the questions about the train and the tracks is that the train runs on a Galt Motor and the tracks are made of Rearden Metal.

And it also explains why the rich people at the front of the train treat everyone else like shit.

PhantomStranger 06-11-20 05:57 PM

So what do people think is the deal with Jennifer Connelly's character? Was Wilfried always a charade, or did she fall into the role to maintain order?

Barth 06-11-20 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13756694)
So what do people think is the deal with Jennifer Connelly's character? Was Wilfried always a charade, or did she fall into the role to maintain order?

I’m not a big fan of the show but that part of the story is what has me watching. I have a feeling its more that she fell into the role. We’ve seen she’s not the only one in on covering it up.

Abob Teff 06-12-20 08:53 PM

Ok ... I had an issue. 1,001 cars long ...and that is who he happens to grab? It ended up serving no purpose, so why use that lazy trope?

Yes, that was unbelievable. :D

I think she actually created the train and bilked an old man into paying for it. Or she is his daughter.

barelypure 06-15-20 07:41 AM

No bees and now no cows. What other food have they lost due to the extreme conditions. I guess the good news is there are still trees, ice covered but trees.
At 1 point it was mentioned to disconnect the tail. They really can't do that unless there is a side track. Otherwise when they come back around the tail would be on the tracks.
In S2 I wonder if we'll start to see parts warming up, like in the movie, where some want to get off the train. Their adventures could be S3.

fujishig 06-15-20 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by barelypure (Post 13758057)
No bees and now no cows. What other food have they lost due to the extreme conditions. I guess the good news is there are still trees, ice covered but trees.
At 1 point it was mentioned to disconnect the tail. They really can't do that unless there is a side track. Otherwise when they come back around the tail would be on the tracks.
In S2 I wonder if we'll start to see parts warming up, like in the movie, where some want to get off the train. Their adventures could be S3.

Haven't watched yesterday's episode, but I figured they would just plow through it like they do everything else, or set it loose after putting something on it to help derail it (without blowing up the track).

In the Graphic novel, which the movie is (kind of loosely) based on, there's stuff like a second train, but I think this tv series is more based on the movie which is it's own thing, so we'll see. I think you start to jump the shark once you get off the train unless that's the final moments of the show.

SmithsGuy 06-20-20 02:27 PM

Some thoughts - think we saw a 2nd train in the "coming this season" trailer at end of Ep1?

One would assume they have multiples of
a) Cow cars
b) Locomotives - usually you'd have front, mid and potentially rear (but then the tailies could take it over?) but if the concession is to hand-wave the train itself, no worries

fujishig 06-20-20 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13756694)

Wilford was definitely real at some point, or she wouldn't bother with chopping up old financial reports to get his voice to say things, I would think. And I would also think if she were his daughter, that she'd be well known, but who knows?

Murder plot closed but there's whatever they're using the drawers for. Seems like the "missing frozen body" thing gets taken care of in this next episode so I'm curious if we fast forward through a lot of plot coming up. Interesting that Connelly's character was less concerned about a mutiny (from either side) and more about the secret of the drawers getting out... you'd think logically she'd be better off putting the girl on ice anyway because she has the loosest lips of anyone anyway.

fujishig 06-22-20 05:28 PM

That was a very... convenient way to fix the problem, I guess. Also a gratuitous sex scene to pad the run time just like HBO but without being able to show anything. At least we kind of found out what the drawers are for (if she's telling the truth) and I think they finally answer the question of what they're going to do to boost their engineering count.

PhantomStranger 06-22-20 06:14 PM

Anyone else find most of Snowpiercer's sex scenes randomly inserted without any sense of pacing or feel for the plot?

fujishig 06-22-20 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13761465)
Anyone else find most of Snowpiercer's sex scenes randomly inserted without any sense of pacing or feel for the plot?

That's exactly how I feel. I mean far be it from me to complain about a Connelly sex scene but man.

mugwump 06-23-20 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13761465)

When you're stuck on an overcrowded train you gotta grab some when you can even if it requires a pause in the story.

fujishig 06-23-20 10:27 AM

I don't remember if they told us: they restrict the ability to have children (you have to win a lottery, etc.) but is that done on the male side or the female side as far as restrictions go? If it's the female side then I assume that's Andre's baby.

mugwump 06-29-20 11:40 AM

I finally realized why I'm enjoying this show more than it perhaps merits. Since it's set on a train all of the action occurs in a tightly confined space so there are lots of close-ups and not nearly as many fast-cuts as most TV shows and movies these days. The camera can linger on an actor long enough for some actual acting to come through so the whole production is elevated above what one would expect given the admittedly nonsense premise.

eXcentris 07-04-20 05:46 PM

This show is interesting enough that I keep watching it, but not interesting enough that I'd care if it was cancelled.

And it looks like I'm not the only one wondering about the lack of track maintenance, and about what the heck happened to Jennifer Connelly's boobs. Maybe Andre can investigate that next. ;)

Barth 07-04-20 06:02 PM

Jennifer Connelly has lost so much weight and boobs always seem to be the first thing that goes with that. She’s still very attractive, and basically the only reason I’m tuning in to this mediocre show, but I wish she would put some weight back on.