Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S7E05) -- "Go Getters" -- 11/20/16

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-16, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S7E05) -- "Go Getters" -- 11/20/16

I liked this one but the pace of this season is all fucked up with them splitting up cast members & plots between episodes.

Game of Thrones juggles twice as many characters and manages to advance storylines of each in most episodes. This whole, 'here's a Rick episode,' here's a Carol episode,' 'here's a Darryl episode,' and now 'here's a Maggie episode' shit sucks. It's one of the, if not the biggest fucking show on TV. AMC needs to pony up and let them improve the show a little.
Old 11-22-16, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Except there are many of us that think these character driven episodes are an improvement over many other shows where each character/story gets 10 minutes per episode... max!

Other than the Carl scenes, I enjoyed this one a lot. It was distracting to keep seeing/hearing Trevor Philips on TWD, but Ogg is awesome so I'll just have to deal.
Old 11-22-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I liked this one but the pace of this season is all fucked up with them splitting up cast members & plots between episodes.

Game of Thrones juggles twice as many characters and manages to advance storylines of each in most episodes. This whole, 'here's a Rick episode,' here's a Carol episode,' 'here's a Darryl episode,' and now 'here's a Maggie episode' shit sucks. It's one of the, if not the biggest fucking show on TV. AMC needs to pony up and let them improve the show a little.
Old 11-22-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Boring ep. I'm tired of the Saviors already.
I am wondering how they will make them interesting going forward. Pretty much wad blown already. We get it they take half; fuck with people because they are all powerful etc...

I am not sure how that can continue and keep an audience interested. But yea agree they are easily the quickest villains to wear out their welcome. There was tension and suspense with the Gov; there isn't much here with them.

Doesn't deter me from watching but I can see if they continue this same narrative for as long as the comic ( from what I understand anyway) or past this season; it could really begin to drag. Maybe they were more interesting in the comic or they just can't translate everything to the screen.
Old 11-22-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I too thought this was a boring episode.

Maggie and Sasha are probably two characters that are the least interesting to carry an entire episode.

Although, we did get a brief & insignificant Coral, Rick and Michonne appearance.
Old 11-22-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
There's a really good 2 hour movie hidden in each season. Pretend this is the "Ultimate Extended Edition" BD/DVD of a theatrical 2 hour movie.
Old 11-22-16, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
True, but I thought the idea was that the Saviors were going to rescue the Hilltop from the walkers to show them how much they need the Saviors. But the Hilltop folks ended up saving themselves under Maggie's direction, which the Saviors weren't counting on.
Right about the Saviors ... although I didn't see any Hilltop people other than Jesus. Maybe I wasn't paying attention. This episode just didn't hold me.

Originally Posted by Coral
I'm just surprised to see someone riding a bike. I'm assuming Ellie found it along the way. Of course that didn't last long, as it appears Carl trashed it with the car... along with the car itself. So 2 perfectly good modes of transportation are destroyed to kill a single walker - a walker that was easily avoidable/killable by hand.
My thoughts exactly. Carl, you fucking moron. Hope you get something out of it.

Originally Posted by hitmanjules
It being on AMC as opposed to HBO means that we're seeing a more sanitized version of what life might really be like under a real Negan regime. All those male Saviors would be terrorizing the women from each community ...
I don't think so. I think Negan keeps a tight leash on this, as evidenced when he offered Dwight a woman "as long as she says yes." I think he realizes that uncontrolled rape would quickly turn their victims rebellious. He seems to work to maintain a controlled chaos which is just enough to keep the subjects subjugated.

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Except there are many of us that think these character driven episodes are an improvement over many other shows where each character/story gets 10 minutes per episode... max!
I like the fleshed out exposition, but I think the flaw is that the show-runners leave too much time between when we leave an arc and when we come back to it. How many characters or plot points do people forgotten about in the interim? I do that all the time.

Originally Posted by rw2516
There's a really good 2 hour movie hidden in each season. Pretend this is the "Ultimate Extended Edition" BD/DVD of a theatrical 2 hour movie.
Old 11-22-16, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I always like the slower, quieter episodes but usually they have a theme to them and maybe pertains to a bigger picture study of that character. This was another boring hour of nothing, just the Saviors rule the roost.

I'll never bail on a show I've come this far with, but I'm at the point where I'm going through the motions watching it. It happens to most shows where it just gets tired, as I felt the same way sometime during the 5th season of the Sopranos. The difference was that had one more season, so there was an end game, this show will milk more seasons because it's a cash cow for AMC.
Old 11-22-16, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I too thought this was a boring episode.

Maggie and Sasha are probably two characters that are the least interesting to carry an entire episode.

Although, we did get a brief & insignificant Coral, Rick and Michonne appearance.
Agree with this, another treadmill episode.

The four-way split (Daryl/Saviors, Maggie/Sasha, Carol/Morgan, Alexandria) is spreading the story way-y-y too thin. By the next episode it will be a month since we saw Carol/Morgan and three weeks since Daryl had anything to do. It's like three quarters of the cast sits in a time capsule each week. I knew it would likely be a Maggie centered episode going in and had no real excitement about sitting down to watch it.

This week was by far the worst of all worlds because - as DJariya pointed out - Maggie and Sasha are the least interesting characters and Hilltop is the least interesting location. I actually groaned when they said Maggie was still pregnant because being pregnant makes her even less interesting.

After the great opener I basically said in that episode thread that unfortunately the down side will be that we are now going to get numerous isolated episodes of characters skulking about in the aftermath and that nothing would likely happen until probably the first half finale or even longer. That is a lo-o-ong time to tread water.
Old 11-22-16, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So with all this character hopping around, how much time has actually transpired? A few days? I mean it hasn't even been a week for Rick & Co., right?

I'd still like to see the camp actually head towards a major Metropolis. Did everyone give up on Washington? I've kinda lost track. I'd like to think that I'd be looking and looking and looking some more and not settling down thinking this is it for civilization.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle

After the great opener I basically said in that episode thread that unfortunately the down side will be that we are now going to get numerous isolated episodes of characters skulking about in the aftermath and that nothing would likely happen until probably the first half finale or even longer. That is a lo-o-ong time to tread water.
I was thinking (maybe even posted) that this season is pretty similar to 24: Season 4. You have the nuke go off in the two night premier and it's all fucking downhill from there. They shot their wad way too early, just like with Negan and his mustache twirling biker gang.
Old 11-22-16, 08:15 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

apparently Chandler Riggs' dad tweeted something implying that his son was soon to be done with the show. Riggs' was recently accepted into college... so maybe he dies next? I hope?
Old 11-22-16, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
apparently Chandler Riggs' dad tweeted something implying that his son was soon to be done with the show. Riggs' was recently accepted into college... so maybe he dies next? I hope?
Then he can finally cut his hair!
Old 11-22-16, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
If they actually kill off Carl, I'm not sure how Rick will keep from losing his shit permanently. We saw his breakdown from to Lori's death, and how emotional and distraught he gets with other deaths within the group in general - plus he's very protective of Carl... so if Carl dies, Rick's gotta go off the deep end.
Old 11-23-16, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Yes, he got accepted to Auburn, where I live. It's been small news here, surprisingly. He could conceivably do both since I can drive to the set in a couple of hours from here.
Ironically, the sister of the girl that played Sophia (Madison Lintz) is also a student here. You may have seen her as the girl with the big forehead in Under The Dome (MacKenzie Lintz). Madison may end up here herself; she's been here to go to football games with her sister before.
Old 11-23-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Agree with this, another treadmill episode.
Yeah, EXACTLY. I found myself reading a book while "watching" this episode.
Old 11-23-16, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I can't link this article from my phone but its from www.ew.com. Last week's episode netted 11 million viewers, down 25% of 17 million from the season premiere.
Old 11-23-16, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I can't link this article from my phone but its from www.ew.com. Last week's episode netted 11 million viewers, down 25% of 17 million from the season premiere.
Here's the link:
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/walking-dea...190236582.html

Looks like more than a few of us were serious when we said we were done with the series after the season opener.
Old 11-23-16, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the premiere of this season was dumb, vaguely insulting, and nonsensical, but at least it kept me engaged and entertained.

This was just... bad. Honestly, I was paying so little attention that I remember Carl finding "something" during the walk, but I never even saw what it was. Good to read this thread and find out it was roller skates. I almost never have divided attention during a show, but I just wanted this episode to be over. The car crash was just the height of stupidity, Enid bores the crap out of me, Sasha isn't much better, I don't like the hilltop gang, Jesus' eyes and hair bug me, the Saviors plan seemed dumb, etc. I think Trevor on this show is ridiculously silly, but at least he's entertaining when he gets screen time. This episode just felt like a bad b-movie. I like Maggie last season, but she didn't do much for me this episode.

If it weren't for Carol and Daryl still having some interesting arcs, I'd be done. I'm still holding out hope, but this may be the last season for me.
Old 11-23-16, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone is bagging on Carl crashing the car but Ol' One-Eye's depth perception must be absolutely shot.

"Alright, that cement post is either across the street from that walker or righ-BANG!"
Old 11-23-16, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Season 7 ratings take a nosedive, lowest since Season 3. Story

AMC’s mega-hit fell sharply after its seventh season premiere last month, and has declined steadily each week since to mark the steepest ratings fall in the show’s history. In fact, Sunday’s fifth episode of the season delivered the show’s lowest viewership since season 3.

You’ll recall TWD returned to the show’s second-biggest audience ever, delivering an incredible 17 million viewers. Fan reaction to the debut was extremely polarized, however. Some found the 90-minute return to be a gripping, emotionally effective, and artful piece of work, while others thought Negan’s gory sadism crossed a line – and vowed to quit the show.

Usually such fan proclamations don’t amount to much (Game of Thrones fans threaten to quit all the time, yet the HBO drama’s audience grows every year). But this time, some fans seem to really have actually tuned out – at least temporarily. Viewership dropped 25 percent for the season’s second episode down to 12.5 million. Such a drop may have been expected somewhat given all the hype around the premiere resolving last season’s fateful circle-of-victims cliffhanger. But then the third episode dropped too (11.7 million), and so did the fourth (11.4 million) and now the fifth (11 million), with TWD marking a low point for the show since 2013.

Still, let’s keep some perspective. Even at a low point, The Walking Dead’s adult demo rating (a 5.1 on Sunday) is still bigger than any other show on TV.
Old 11-23-16, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Fanboy
Everyone is bagging on Carl crashing the car but Ol' One-Eye's depth perception must be absolutely shot.
Old 11-23-16, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

The Walking Dead's live ratings have always run in spurts.

People tune in live to the "Big" episodes like the premiere, midseason finale, midseason premiere and then season finale. Other episodes tend to be DVR'd more and watched later.

That's why I don't go crazy ratings anymore. Viewership all across the board is so diluted.
Old 11-23-16, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

After watching this weeks episode I have an idea of how part of the season will play out:

Enid gets raped by that creepy guy with the Balloons.

Carl finds out which in turn causes him to Kill creepy Balloon guy.

As Punishment Carl and everyone is forced to watch Negan kill Enid.

Angry at himself and his father for not killing Negan when they had the chance , Carl leaves the group to survive on his own.

This causes Rick to finally wake up and kill Negan.

Rick leaves to find Carl.
Old 11-23-16, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
One of the podcasts I listen was talking about most of the main cast starting to talk about "exit strategies" in the near future. You also know cheap-ass AMC is going to cut them loose before they pay them more.

I've said all along this is the type of show that needs a constantly changing cast. In the early days we all bought into the "nobody is safe" theory and that is part of what kept the show interesting.
Old 11-23-16, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Problem with that is they have failed to introduce any interesting characters worth giving a shit about. You can't just start killing off the original cast without someone to fill those shoes. All the Alexandrians suck. Hilltoppers suck (Jesus has potential). Who was the last new character anyone gave a shit about? Morgan (not sure how to classify him since he was there in the premier)? Abraham? Most of the goodwill towards him was based on his comic counterpart. The tv version seemed like squandered potential. Fr. Gabriel?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.