Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Horror Story: Roanoke (S6E10) -- Season Finale -- "Chapter 10" -- 11/16/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Horror Story: Roanoke (S6E10) -- Season Finale -- "Chapter 10" -- 11/16/16

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

American Horror Story: 6

Chapter Descriptions

SEASON FINALE - Chapter 10 / Production #610 - "Chapter 10" (Airs November 16, 10:00pm e/p) - The FX limited series, American Horror Story, returns for a sixth installment. Written by Ryan Murphy & Brad Falchuk; directed by Bradley Buecker.

Will return for a 7th season next Fall
Old 11-16-16, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: American Horror Story: Roanoke (S6E10) -- Season Finale -- "Chapter 10" -- 11/16/

I expected a huge response to... whatever that was. I dunno if everyone just stopped watching, or is rendered speechless by that waste of 8.5ish hours. I mean, what the hell was that? I watch this for supernatural fiction. The show tried to refute that entire premise, despite showing exactly otherwise, pinning everything on Lee.

I just don't get what the point was... what was their intent here, a season that tries to explain how the supernatural is actually "real" in our world, yet gets put off on "logical" things?

I mean, the way this show went, you could almost pin every death on Lee or humans, until this episode. With Lee's husband, they proved we couldn't trust a damn thing Roanoke Story told. Every death, until this finale, could be pinned on things other than spirit entities. The intersection between real explanations, and supernatural ones, muddied further by the "its TV in a TV show, so can we trust anything...?" ... "Nope, because Lee smashed her husbands brains in."

I got immense enjoyment of the first few episodes, then watching these ghost chasers get slaughtered when they confronted exactly what they sought out. This season could have been decent... but damn did they fuck that up by the entire Lee arc.

What a waste of a show, season, cast, etc. I expect so much more from AHS than what we got this year, so I guess its a backhanded compliment to what they've produced before that this season seemed to suck so horrifically badly.
Old 11-16-16, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: American Horror Story: Roanoke (S6E10) -- Season Finale -- "Chapter 10" -- 11/16/

As disappointing as I found "Coven" and "Freak Show," this season was complete dogshit.

I don't know if I'll be back for number seven.
Old 11-17-16, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Yeah, fuck this show right in it's greasy ass. I haven't fully enjoyed a season of this since Asylum, so I may be done now.
Old 11-17-16, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Coladar, if you look at the last few threads the response has been very slow. I'm guessing not many watch it live or even the same night.

Well ... that was about what I expected at this point. Not plot-wise (not going to claim I called it, 'cause I didn't), but the results. Blah. Blah. Blah. It was all quite stupid and extremely pointless. It could have been a clever commentary on any number of issues (reality TV, modern "celebrities", manipulative media) but instead it was ... well, yeah. It just was.

So what ties did it make to past seasons? I thought this was supposed to tie all of them together.
Old 11-17-16, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

That was not good.
Old 11-17-16, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the season was great. Very unique. The biggest connection was Lana Winters (the interviewer this episode).She was fromm the Asylum. That connects both to freak show through Pepper. Anything else?
Old 11-17-16, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bcolon
I thought the season was great. Very unique. The biggest connection was Lana Winters (the interviewer this episode).She was fromm the Asylum. That connects both to freak show through Pepper. Anything else?
Murphy has said in interviews that GaGa/whatever her name is was the first Supreme.

Quite frankly, Murphy is part of the reason this season was dogshit. Well, the entire PR deal. They masked the premise, like it was something genius and worth waiting for. Well, now we know why: There was no goddamned premise. I dare anyone to come up with a coherent, season long premise/overview/summary. I double dare. There is no "thread" to wrap it all around in - you have several competing things, going at each other, for reasons only the writers made sense of in their fractured psyches.

Then they taunt us that this is the big season everything ties together. Bull. Shit. Last year, we had *far* more connections to other seasons than this... whatever.

If you have a giant turd, its prolly not a great idea to get the fanbase all riled up thinking the Messiah has come or something. Then just straight up lying about the "ties everything together angle."

Without all of that, *maybe* this wouldn't have been as utterly horrible as it was. I mean damn, the mists? A time portal, and eventually Peterson as Manson? Some of the disinformation was just so superior to this... whatever it was.

Edit to add: Actually, *this* premise had such ignored potential. I mean my God, you focus on the Roanoke Colony... the great American mystery, and something fiction barely has touched, and you do it as a modern ghost story - but then, to "tell their story", you use the plot line of a TV show in a show. Then you tell us we can't trust anything in that show. What. The. Hell? Why would you tell me you made me waste 5 hours on nothing? What, to make some grand statement that no TV is real, so it shouldn't matter if we think its fake, so long as we get enjoyment out of it?

Because that's what I see this season as. And that, is the Creators pulling a "gotcha" on their loyal audience and fan base to prove some erudite, convoluted and pointless point.

Bottom dollar, you pull in Roanoke in horror fiction, and totally blow it/ignore it completely for dog crap? Just... wow. They need a sane voice in that writers room, there is no question about it. And FX had better fire every single last soul that even looked at that PR campaign for this season/set Murphy on the track he went on in interviews. And if that was solely his decision, he should be blacklisted from ever being a showrunner/in control again, and become another M. Night where he's an idea guy, but on a tight leash.

Last edited by Coladar1; 11-17-16 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-17-16, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Bcolon
Another connection: Edward Mott and Dandy Mott.
Old 11-17-16, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why would Priscilla need a mother figure? Although Priscilla manifests her body as a child's, she's centuries old.
Old 11-17-16, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
That was not good.
This.

And I really LIKED this season for the most part - at least until the finale.
Old 11-17-16, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I liked the season, ALOT. For me personally I'd go: Hotel > Asylum > Roanoke > Murder House > Freak Show > Coven.

Bring on season 7!
Old 11-17-16, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked this season because it was so different than the last 2 seasons, more back to traditional ghost story horror I guess. But this was the 1st season where the finale was an clear dropoff from the penultimate episode.
Old 11-17-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I liked the season, ALOT. For me personally I'd go: Hotel > Asylum > Roanoke > Murder House > Freak Show > Coven.

Bring on season 7!
I'd actually insert Murder House into the second slot, but other than that my order of preference would be exactly the same

Originally Posted by cleaver
I liked this season because it was so different than the last 2 seasons, more back to traditional ghost story horror I guess. But this was the 1st season where the finale was an clear dropoff from the penultimate episode.
Really? I'd say it's typical; the finales tend to be calm wrap-up episodes and not a climax of violence. Like, when the finale was a Fleetwood Mac video followed by a reality show style competition. Asylum also had a pretty sedate ending episode if i recall correctly.
Old 11-17-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

so the general theme over the whole season was the biggest horror is... reality tv.
Old 11-17-16, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Paff
Really? I'd say it's typical; the finales tend to be calm wrap-up episodes and not a climax of violence. Like, when the finale was a Fleetwood Mac video followed by a reality show style competition. Asylum also had a pretty sedate ending episode if i recall correctly.
The Asylum wrap up was great, the present day Bloody Face storyline wrapped up, Quicksilver and the aliens, the Sarah Paulson and Jessica Lange scenes. Looking at imdb though it's the only season finale that had a higher rating than the penultimate episode so my premise is still wrong.
Old 11-17-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I liked the concept they came up with for this season, it simply would have played out better over fewer episodes. This season would have been markedly improved if the same story was told over 6-7 episodes.
Old 11-17-16, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Coladar1
I dare anyone to come up with a coherent, season long premise/overview/summary. I double dare.
- old colony haunts land
- house is built, occupants killed by ghost colony and turned into new ghosts
- couple buy house, couple is haunted
- TV show is made about the above couple, show is giant success
- new reality show with the actors from the above show starts production
- surprise: the couple was right about the hauntings, everyone dies
- except Lee
- the end

I'll admit that I loved this season.
Old 11-17-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Wouldn't it be insensitive showing up at Paley Fest with a pig mask on when the people that were terrorized by the pigman are right there?
Old 11-17-16, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

there seems to be something off by the whole Paley Fest thing. Like, wait, no one is talking about how the entire crew and production workers of the second season were killed in mysterious ways and the video is there showing specific "ghost" and what not? The second season was put together and shown.... how the fuck is that even possible?

That was just stretching the realm of believably a bit too far.
Old 11-17-16, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/17...y-season-7-sea

Season 7 possibly set at sea?
Old 11-17-16, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
there seems to be something off by the whole Paley Fest thing. Like, wait, no one is talking about how the entire crew and production workers of the second season were killed in mysterious ways and the video is there showing specific "ghost" and what not? The second season was put together and shown.... how the fuck is that even possible?

That was just stretching the realm of believably a bit too far.
I thought the Paley Fest scene takes place between the two seasons.
Old 11-17-16, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Paff
I thought the Paley Fest scene takes place between the two seasons.
It definitely did. Cripes, Kathy Bates even made a comment about how the Butcher's story was far from done when someone *asked* if rumours of a S2 were true.
Old 11-18-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
- old colony haunts land
- house is built, occupants killed by ghost colony and turned into new ghosts
- couple buy house, couple is haunted
- TV show is made about the above couple, show is giant success
- new reality show with the actors from the above show starts production
- surprise: the couple was right about the hauntings, everyone dies
- except Lee
- the end

I'll admit that I loved this season.
You missed the billionaire cannibalistic redneck inbreeders who struck a deal with the ghosts. Oh yeah, they also happen to run a drug cartel which provides enough money to buy the police department.

I think you actually proved the point ... the basic elements were there. Then it turned into a bloated mess of non-sensical shit as they layered element on top of element.

Originally Posted by DJariya
Season 6 was lost at sea, so why not?
Old 11-19-16, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

the problem here is that they were aping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to horror/ghost stories, in doing a take off of already nitch market of those Friday/Saturday night cable shows like those A&E real ghost stories and then the ghost hunters and expecting folks to really get it.

they sold themselves short on the story angle by basically channeling it through a medium that isn't even looked at with any sort of regard. The whole lost colony thing was good material wasted on a parody of something no one gives a shit about.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.