Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Horror Story: Roanoke (S6E10) -- Season Finale -- "Chapter 10" -- 11/16/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Horror Story: Roanoke (S6E10) -- Season Finale -- "Chapter 10" -- 11/16/16

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-16, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: American Horror Story: Roanoke (S6E10) -- Season Finale -- "Chapter 10" -- 11/16/

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
the problem here is that they were aping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to horror/ghost stories, in doing a take off of already nitch market of those Friday/Saturday night cable shows like those A&E real ghost stories and then the ghost hunters and expecting folks to really get it.

they sold themselves short on the story angle by basically channeling it through a medium that isn't even looked at with any sort of regard. The whole lost colony thing was good material wasted on a parody of something no one gives a shit about.
Apparently, their pastiche of "Snapped" in the last episode was pretty much dead on, though I've never watched that show. I agree they're basing this on shows that are somewhat obscure, but though I don't watch them I understood what they were doing. My chief complaint is that they act as though "My Roanoke Nightmare" was a big network show, and a monster hit, -that's just not plausible. I'd prefer they'd be more realistic about that angle.
Old 11-19-16, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts
Re: American Horror Story: Roanoke (S6E10) -- Season Finale -- "Chapter 10" -- 11/16/

I would have liked for them to ditch the whole tv show angle and just done a full season of AHS in a rural setting with rains of human teeth, crazy and rednecks played by Chaz Bono, vengeful ghosts, haunted farmhouses, and other freaky shit inflicted upon a yuppie couple played by Sarah Paulson and Cuba Gooding jr who moved away from the city to escape some trauma.
Old 11-19-16, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I would have liked for them to ditch the whole tv show angle and just done a full season of AHS in a rural setting with rains of human teeth, crazy and rednecks played by Chaz Bono, vengeful ghosts, haunted farmhouses, and other freaky shit inflicted upon a yuppie couple played by Sarah Paulson and Cuba Gooding jr who moved away from the city to escape some trauma.
Obviously, there's a wide range of opinion here. If they had not done the TV Show format, I would not have been lured into watching this season. I got tired of AHS going off the rails in the second half of the season, starting with "Coven", though I stayed through "Freak Show" (and regretted it). I didn't bother with "Hotel".
Old 11-20-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I watched Season 1 over the last few days ... Now that I have a little bit of context I am going to say Season 6 was a less coherent and more sloppy revisit of Season 1.

The whole concept of a married couple (having marital problems and a miscarriage to boot) tying all of their money up into a house that is far away and a chance at a fresh new start ... They can't leave the house for various reasons ... Terrorized by various ghost factions ... The house has a long history of numerous murders so the ghosts cannot leave ... Some of the ghosts are "friendly" ... Human neighbors who want the house because they want the ghosts to remain ... Seems like a lot of rehashed ideas.

Roanoke and Croatoan were used in Season 1. This was a chance to expand upon that idea which was really just a passing reference in S1.

I thought Season 1 peaked around episode 4 or 5 and then it turned into a dragging soap opera about ghosts. Like S6, it turned into a somewhat bloated mess and should have been condensed into something much greater. I liked most of the characters from S1 and their stories/motivations, unlike S6 where I found a only few characters fleetingly entertaining (the professor and the medium) but couldn't find anything to like in the main characters.
Old 11-22-16, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
- old colony haunts land
- house is built, occupants killed by ghost colony and turned into new ghosts
- couple buy house, couple is haunted
- TV show is made about the above couple, show is giant success
- new reality show with the actors from the above show starts production
- surprise: the couple was right about the hauntings, everyone dies
- except Lee
- the end

I'll admit that I loved this season.
Thank you. Me too.
Old 11-22-16, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bcolon
I thought the season was great. Very unique. The biggest connection was Lana Winters (the interviewer this episode).She was fromm the Asylum. That connects both to freak show through Pepper. Anything else?
Just off the top of my head:

Murder House
Piggy Man
Croatoan!

Asylum
Lana Winters
Ghost Chasers mention "the asylum"

Coven
Cricket invokes the "white light of protection" like Misty Day

Freakshow
Edward Mott -> Dandy Mott
Old 11-22-16, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Just off the top of my head:

Murder House
Piggy Man
Croatoan!

Asylum
Lana Winters
Ghost Chasers mention "the asylum"

Coven
Cricket invokes the "white light of protection" like Misty Day

Freakshow
Edward Mott -> Dandy Mott
Also, related to Coven, Lady Gaga's character was the first Supreme. (This was divulged by the producers.)
Old 11-22-16, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Also, related to Coven, Lady Gaga's character was the first Supreme. (This was divulged by the producers.)
Yup, forgot that one.
Old 11-22-16, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

That was a good end. Had to roll my eyes at ANOTHER group going to the house (seriously, fuck you guys I hope you die!). The final moment was the first time it felt like an actual ending (though I wouldn't have minded a few extra minutes to watch everyone get slaughtered). They usually end it on a lower-key note.

Would still love to see them try something epic next season. Some Marvel shit. Jeeze, you birthed the anti-Christ at the end of season one. You introduced all these rules and supernatural factions. That could write itself.
Old 11-23-16, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I enjoyed the idea of this season more than the execution, especially the way Matt and Shelby's story was sort of an antiparallel to the Harmons' from Murder House. That concept alone was really interesting to me, but didn't really gel like it should have primarily because it got completely swallowed by the show within a show within a show conceit. I also really wish we could have seen more of the real ghosts, which all seemed to have the potential to be really interesting and scary, but because of the storytelling structure of the season we only caught glimpses, and ultimately had to settle for the Polk clan, who didn't deserve the amount of screen time they received. Oh well.

Still love the show, and I ultimately liked the season despite its flaws even if it didn't come close to living up to its potential.

Anyway, my ratings for the seasons would go: Asylum -> Freakshow -> Coven -> Murder House -> Hotel -> Roanake.

Last edited by ultimaton; 11-23-16 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-01-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

So the part that threw me off the most was the Lana Winters interview. She was present in Asylum - 1964 AND she's now a TV talk show host in 2016... but has not aged?

Also, gotta say that using the same actors to play multiple roles can be a bit confusing. Especially when I don't recall the characters roles from a few seasons back.
Old 12-01-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
So the part that threw me off the most was the Lana Winters interview. She was present in Asylum - 1964 AND she's now a TV talk show host in 2016... but has not aged?
Lana's character had bad "I'm old now" makeup on, and she spoke the with stereotypical shaky old person voice - to the point we laughed out loud everytime she talked. The only high school theater production trait she was missing was the exaggerated palsy shake.
Old 12-01-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the old lady routine was one of the worst "aged character" examples I have ever seen on TV. Essentially ending on an even lower note than the rest of the season. I've got to learn to bail on these terrible seasons fast so I don't waste 8 plus hours of my life like I did watching Roanoke. Feeling the same way about S2 of Scream Queens.
Old 12-01-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I've got to learn to bail on these terrible seasons fast so I don't waste 8 plus hours of my life like I did watching Roanoke. Feeling the same way about S2 of Scream Queens.
I've only recently discovered how liberating it is to bail on a show/season.

On a side note: Agree about Screams Queens S2 - it is fucking awful - and I LOVED S1.
Old 12-01-16, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Lana's character had bad "I'm old now" makeup on, and she spoke the with stereotypical shaky old person voice - to the point we laughed out loud everytime she talked. The only high school theater production trait she was missing was the exaggerated palsy shake.
Googled her image and see that you're right... but wow, that was awful "old lady" gear.
Old 01-12-17, 10:18 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

FX has renewed “American Horror Story” for two more seasons — in addition to the already-picked-up seventh season — taking the anthology series through a ninth season.
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amer...fx-1201958880/
Old 01-12-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fool me 6 times shame on you... fool me 7... I can't be fooled again!
Old 01-12-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I didn't feel fooled the first two or fifth time. The third fourth and sixth time though, fie!