Reload this Page >

Doctor Who: The Power of the Daleks (BBCA) 11/19/2016

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-15-16, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts

BBC America is airing the animated reconstructed of the classic Doctor Who serial The Power of the Daleks, one episode a week for 6 weeks, starting this Saturday, November 19.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglopheni...s-back-to-life
It’s one of the most celebrated Doctor Who adventures and yet no complete film recordings of The Power of the Daleks are known to have survived — the master negatives were destroyed in an archive purge in 1974.

BBC America and BBC Worldwide have commissioned a brand new animation based on the program’s original audio recordings, surviving photographs and film clips that will be released 50 years after its only UK broadcast on BBC One.

The six-part adventure features the regeneration, or as it was then called “renewal,” of first Doctor, William Hartnell into second Doctor, Patrick Troughton, as the Time Lord and his companions Polly (Anneke Wills) and Ben (Michael Craze) do battle with the Daleks on the planet Vulcan.

Doctor Who: The Power of the Daleks is produced and directed by Charles Norton, with character designs from acclaimed comic book artists Martin Geraghty and Adrian Salmon.

Norton says, “The Power of the Daleks animation is the most ambitious Doctor Who archive restoration ever attempted and we’re all very honored to be a part of such an exciting project. Intelligent, suspenseful and magnificently staged, The Power of the Daleks is one of the great lost classics of 1960s television and a superb example of the black and white era at its finest.”

The serial isn't getting a US DVD release until January. I think it'll be interesting watching this an episode a week, like the way it was originally aired. Note that, for me, I had to specifically schedule this show on my DVR despite having already set it to record new "Doctor Who," since this serial is my DVR's guide under the separate title "Doctor Who: The Power of the Daleks."
Old 11-16-16, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Doctor Who: The Power of the Daleks (BBCA) 11/19/2016

This looks great. Can't wait.
Old 11-16-16, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 194 Posts

Hope they can do more of these: Daleks' Master Plan, Evil of the Daleks, Abominable Snowmen, etc.
Old 11-17-16, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Daleks' Masterplan would be great. The Celestial Toymaker could be neat.
Old 11-17-16, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caught this at the Fathom event on Monday. I enjoyed it, but watching all six episodes without a break was tiring. Five people walked out after the first 30 minutes. I think they were expecting it to be like the hyper Nu Who.
Old 11-20-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched the first episode. The DVR cut off the beginning and end by about 30 seconds, so I adjusted the recording times for future episodes. Did see the regeneration at the beginning, and fortunately was recording Dirk Gently, so say the Dalek out of its shell slinking away. As it is, it's a 35 minute time slot, so they're airing it uncut with 10 minutes of commericals.

This episode was pretty slow going, and unfortunately the animation likely loses some of the nuance of the acting that would fill in the gaps in action/dialogue. For example, during the initial scene in the TARDIS with companions Ben & Polly dealing with a "renewed" Doctor, there's a few awkward nearly static shots of Ben & Polly staring at the new Doctor's antics that I wager originally had a range of facial expressions and body language detailing their conflicting emotions.

Also, the staging in some scenes felt awkward, like when an anonymous thug is skulking around The Doctor after the inspector was shot, and when Ben & Polly are following The Doctor around near the end.

In some ways, this reconstruction only gets you half of the way with its somewhat stiff animation; you have to be willing to fill in some of the nuance yourself.

BBC America posted the color version to their website/app , and will post new color episodes every Sunday:
http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/doct...-color-version

Some reviews of the show, apparently reviewers got the full series to review:
http://deadline.com/2016/11/doctor-w...eo-1201855629/
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/lost-do...ed-form-246132
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/...daleksa-review
Old 12-12-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the pace has picked up in the last few episodes. The Dalek assembly line shown at the end of the latest episode was chilling.

I don't think this airing is getting the ratings they were hoping for. BBCA shifted the slot from before Dirk Gently to after Graham Norton, suggesting it wasn't getting the numbers they wanted at the earlier timeslot, and moved it to late at night to burn off the episodes.

I wonder if they had aired the color versions it'd have done better.
Old 12-24-16, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Final episode airs tonight.

BBCA is running a marathon of the color versions tomorrow 12/25, starting at 8:30 AM ET.