Reload this Page >

Mars (Nat Geo) - 6-part series from Ron Howard & Brian Grazer - Debuts 11/14/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-11-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 356 Likes on 267 Posts

The year is 2033, and humanity's first crewed mission to Mars is about to become a reality. As a clock counts down the final 90 seconds to landing, an expert crew of astronauts endures the final harrowing moments before touching down on the red planet. Even with the best training and resources available, the maiden crew of the Daedalus spacecraft must push itself to the brink of human capability in order to successfully establish the first sustainable colony on Mars. Set both in the future and in the present day, the global miniseries event MARS blends feature film-caliber scripted elements set in the future with documentary vérité interviews with today’s best and brightest minds in modern science and innovation, illuminating how research and development is creating the space technology that will enable our first attempt at a mission to Mars.
From executive producers Brian Grazer & Ron Howard, MARS is an epic series following a thrilling quest - in 2032 - to colonize Mars. In a unique blend of scripted drama and feature-film caliber visual effects, intercut with documentary sequences, the series presents what the greatest minds in space exploration are doing to make traveling to Mars a reality, and shows us the world they seek.

Trailer:

Anyone heard about this series? It premieres on National Geographic this Monday. It's apparently a scripted 6-part science fiction series.

The 1st episode can actually be watched early right now on demand or via Hulu or the Nat Geo site.

http://www.hulu.com/mars

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...os/novo-mundo/
Old 11-11-16, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Mars (Nat Geo) - 6-part series from Ron Howard & Brian Grazer - Debuts 11/14/16

Totally missed hearing about this. When I first saw the post I figured it would be premiering in 2033, not taking place then since so many cool sounding series end up getting delayed time and time again. Will definitely check this out.
Old 11-14-16, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Mars (Nat Geo) - 6-part series from Ron Howard & Brian Grazer - Debuts 11/14/16

Bump

Officially premieres tonight on Nat Geo

Set your DVRs if you have the room.
Old 11-14-16, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Bump

Officially premieres tonight on Nat Geo

Set your DVRs if you have the room.
I'm going to try, already at 65% and falling behind quickly
Old 11-15-16, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I watched it last night. It was kind of a strange viewing experience. Mostly no name cast. Probably the biggest name was Olivier Martinez.

It was a mix of scripted and a Mars documentary with interviews.

I liked the documentary segments, but the scripted segments were a little weak. Very flat characters. Production value did seem decent and not low budget like SyFy.
Old 11-16-16, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I love astronomy, so I definitely had to check this out. The documentary segments were ok, but I really hated the scripted parts. Most of the dialogue during the landing sequence was hard to decipher and at one point, I was frustrated and yelled at the TV - just shut the hell up and get to Mars already!

On the fence about watching episode 2.

I just saw The Martian too, so at least that was excellent.
Old 11-16-16, 07:21 AM

It was wooden for sure, but overall I kinda liked it, I will tune in for another Ep and see if it gets a little better. I like the topic a lot though.
Old 11-16-16, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bailed halfway through. This suffers from the same malady as pretty much every other docu-drama Ive ever seen. it falls of a cliff when the scripted material is on screen. But the scripted material here was particularly awful. And given that seems to be the majority of this show, I've seen enough.
Old 11-16-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 89 Posts

It wasn't bad, though it relied on Elon Musk a little too much. This is basically space propaganda trying to sell the country on a manned mission to Mars in a couple of decades.

Watchable stuff if you are into space missions, probably a little dry for everyone else. I didn't have the same problems with the scripted stuff others seem to have had.
Old 11-17-16, 04:06 PM

Received 146 Likes on 104 Posts

The complete series will be available on Hulu on December 20th.
Old 12-12-16, 01:55 PM

caught up to this, mostly by ditching any of the 2016 docu stuff, and enjoying the drama part in 2033 and beyond, it's been a pretty interesting watch that way.
Old 12-19-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

What a colossal disappointment this was. They turned the exploration and colonization of Mars into a massive bore. How the hell did Ron Howard let his name get (or stay) attached to this?

The insipid melodramatic tone of the scripted portion was ridiculous to the point I started fast forwarding through large portions in an effort just to get to the end. This would have been better suited to be billed as a Lifetime Movie Network original presentation.

Again, what a huge disappointment and wasted opportunity this was. I am a big time backer of the space program but if I thought this had anything to actually do with reality even I would question my support. Glad it is over and hope it is quickly forgotten.
Old 12-19-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm disappointed to read that review, but glad I didn't spend any time on this. Too bad, as I thought it sounded like it had potential.
Spoiler:

Old 12-20-16, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I quickly got bored with the future docudrama stuff but quite liked the interviews and SpaceX portions. The final episode was particularly good on that front with the Wernher Von Braun story intermixed with Elon Musk's drive to start moving forward again.
Old 11-12-18, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't know if anyone cares, but season 2 premieres tonight on Nat Geo.

Another 6 episode season.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dMkZtgJxmvU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Probably doubtful anyone here will be watching considering this show had absolutely no huge interest or momentum 2 years ago.
Old 11-12-18, 06:55 PM

I’ll be checking it out...
Old 11-12-18, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
I’ll be checking it out...
Same here. Is tonight actually an episode or a SpaceX commerical?
Old 11-12-18, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched the last season and I'll be watching this season.

As for whether it's an actual episode or a SpaceX commercial, yes.
Old 11-14-18, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC View Post
I watched the last season and I'll be watching this season.

As for whether it's an actual episode or a SpaceX commercial, yes.
LOL. We skipped it but watched the 1st episode. So far so good.