TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Crown (Netflix) -- Queen Elizabeth II series from Peter Morgan

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Re: The Crown (Netflix) -- Queen Elizabeth II series from Peter Morgan

Originally Posted by Timber
What are they hoping to change? Paying people based off of their name recognition? Of course it's going to cost more to get a Matt Smith than a Claire Foy based off of their work before this. Claire will make more for her next role based off of the recognition she got from The Crown. I'm sorry but that's just real life.
Ask them. They said they're changing the way they pay folks on their series moving forward.

From the article:

Two seasons of the lavish series have been produced and Netflix has ordered a further two. The producers have already committed to pay parity for the upcoming runs of the show, which will see a full cast refresh, to reflect the ageing of the characters. Olivia Colman will play the British monarch on the next two seasons and Helena Bonham Carter Princess Margaret. Other key casting decisions are still to be made.
Old 03-20-18, 06:45 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

So say they were doing the show with multiple ages at once jumping around the timeline with Foy and Carter both on playing Elizabeth. Should they have been getting the same salary? Golden Globe and Oscar nominated actress with 30 year career vs someone who’s essentially an unknown. I don’t think so.

It’s good that “The Queen” will now be paid the most, but their casting needs to reflect that.
Old 03-21-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14
So say they were doing the show with multiple ages at once jumping around the timeline with Foy and Carter both on playing Elizabeth. Should they have been getting the same salary? Golden Globe and Oscar nominated actress with 30 year career vs someone who’s essentially an unknown. I don’t think so.
Ok. So when a 65yo retired woman comes to Walmart to work as a cashier for extra money to live on with her 40 or 50 years of work experience should she be paid more than the 30yo who manages her? Maybe, but we know that's not gonna happen

It’s good that “The Queen” will now be paid the most, but their casting needs to reflect that.
According to who? You? I could be wrong, but it seems there are no set rules for this other than the understanding that "she/he is already famous so she/he should get more". Hell, that's not even a consistent understanding.

Like it or not, the producers feel they have found a way to fix this issue that doesn't depend solely on who's been acting longer and are happy with their solution.
Old 03-21-18, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Ok. So when a 65yo retired woman comes to Walmart to work as a cashier for extra money to live on with her 40 or 50 years of work experience should she be paid more than the 30yo who manages her? Maybe, but we know that's not gonna happen
Comparing Walmart and retail to Hollywood star power is not equal. This has nothing to do with the issue.

If the producer's mandate is now NOBODY makes more money than the actress playing the queen, then the additional actors they get and their agents need to know that going in and shouldn't expect a big payday. In a hypothetical example, if they brought President Obama into a storyline in the future, they aren't going to stunt cast and get a big name like Will Smith because his salary demands are too high. That is unless they producers come to his agent and says this is all we can pay you, if you won't do it for this much, then thank you. Prior to this mandate, if they were willing to spend the money on a big name actor in a role and pay them more than The Queen, they would. I don't see an issue with that. That is how the industry works.

Last edited by dex14; 03-21-18 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-21-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Comparing Walmart and retail to Hollywood star power is not equal. This has nothing to do with the issue.
Please. It's a valid comparison.

If the producer's mandate is now NOBODY makes more money than the actress playing the queen, then the additional actors they get and their agents need to know that going in and shouldn't expect a big payday. In a hypothetical example, if they brought President Obama into a storyline in the future, they aren't going to stunt cast and get a big name like Will Smith because his salary demands are too high. That is unless they producers come to his agent and says this is all we can pay you, if you won't do it for this much, then thank you. Prior to this mandate, if they were willing to spend the money on a big name actor in a role and pay them more than The Queen, they would. I don't see an issue with that. That is how the industry works.
Also, It may work like that but that doesn't mean it's always been right. "Hollywood" has gotten away with running fast and loose with this stuff forever and people are speaking up and calling them out. If "Hollywood" thinks they're right they'll correct it...as the producers here did. If they don't, then they won't. But clearly they would rather correct it
Old 03-21-18, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

So you interview for a job with a more white guy that has more experience in that field than you. You will both be doing the same job. You both get hired but the white guy gets a higher salary than you. Is this fair? Or should you make the same as him?
Old 03-28-18, 04:52 PM

‘The Crown’ Sets ‘Outlander’s Tobias Menzies As New Prince Philip
http://deadline.com/2018/03/the-crow...ix-1202354968/

Old 03-28-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You mean Edmure Tully?
Old 03-29-18, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

‘The Crown’ Sets ‘Outlander’s Tobias Menzies As New Prince Philip
http://deadline.com/2018/03/the-crow...ix-1202354968/

He's a great actor and is very good in Outlander. But I am still not a fan of changing actors mid-show like this, as it will be too different. The actor who plays Prince Phillip now has that perfect personality for the playboy as he is sort of that likeable asshole. The actor from Outlander doesn't come off that way, as I think he will portray Phillip in a more darker tone and it maybe jarring to some fans.
Old 03-29-18, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean Edmure Tully?
Et tu, Brute?
Old 07-16-18, 11:15 AM

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 09-08-19, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

I have a question about the personal events of the first season.

When Elizabeth first becomes Queen, she inherits Tommy as her private secretary. When Tommy retires, she wants Martin, who had been her private secretary when she was Princess, to take on the role, even though some guy named Michael is next in line. (There was the whole thing with the tree trimming.)

My recollection was that Elizabeth basically insisted that she could have the person she wanted . . . y'know, because she's the Queen of England.

I just rewatched the season one finale, and Michael not Martin was her secretary, and Michael was involved with Tommy in the deception regarding Margaret's marriage.

Don't want to go back rewatching episodes, so can anyone explain what happened that Martin didn't get the job and Elizabeth did not get her way.
Old 11-15-19, 11:37 AM

Times change. Duty endures.

As Queen Elizabeth II (Olivia Colman) faces a rapidly changing Britain, her family continues to struggle against the needs of the monarchy and the wants of their fracturing personal lives.

Season Three of The Crown arrives November 17th.

Last edited by dex14; 01-31-20 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-15-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I have a question about the personal events of the first season.

When Elizabeth first becomes Queen, she inherits Tommy as her private secretary. When Tommy retires, she wants Martin, who had been her private secretary when she was Princess, to take on the role, even though some guy named Michael is next in line. (There was the whole thing with the tree trimming.)

My recollection was that Elizabeth basically insisted that she could have the person she wanted . . . y'know, because she's the Queen of England.

I just rewatched the season one finale, and Michael not Martin was her secretary, and Michael was involved with Tommy in the deception regarding Margaret's marriage.

Don't want to go back rewatching episodes, so can anyone explain what happened that Martin didn't get the job and Elizabeth did not get her way.

A little bit on this
Old 11-15-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Can't wait for the new season.

Old 11-17-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Season 3 just dropped today. Talked to a friend who watched the first episode and was worried the new cast wouldn’t resonate. They said the first 5-10 minutes are jarring and then once you get used to the new actors, you totally forget about the casting changes.
Old 11-18-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coli
Season 3 just dropped today. Talked to a friend who watched the first episode and was worried the new cast wouldn’t resonate. They said the first 5-10 minutes are jarring and then once you get used to the new actors, you totally forget about the casting changes.
Yup, they give you the tiniest glimpse of what was and now what is and then they're off.
Old 11-26-19, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Finish watching season three and really enjoyed it. Olivia Colman was outstanding as the middle-age Queen, wouldn't surprised me if she get a Emmy nomination. The actor playing Prince Charles was real good also the actress playing Princess Anne. Next season probably be focus on the IRA terror attacks (Lord Mountbatten's assassination and Hyde Park bombing) and Margaret Thatcher.
Old 11-26-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought Olivia Colman was outstanding. She won an Emmy with episode 3 IMO.
Old 11-26-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm about 3 or 4 maybe 5 eps in and I'm loving this season.. They did an outstanding job picking the actors for this phase of the Royals.

I did have to shake my head at The Queen for
Spoiler:
having a "Pre-Diana Death" moment with the Coal Town Disaster. She could have learned a lesson and treated Diana's death so differently.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-26-19 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-26-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought Olivia Colman was outstanding. She won an Emmy with episode 3 IMO.

Old 11-26-19, 11:03 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
Can't wait for the new season.

You've got to love Prince Harry! Ever since he was caught partying completely naked with a bunch of people in a hotel penthouse suite in Las Vegas he won my heart.

Definitely the most 'American' of the Royal Family. Hard to believe he's the brother of Prince William who seems to be operating on a different level with his 'royalty'
Old 01-23-20, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Just finished S3 a couple of nights ago, and also loved it. Olivia Colman killed it, as usual.

I thought they really made Prince Charles a sympathetic character, which (irrationally, IMHO) pissed my wife off. I think the episode in Wales was my favourite of the season.

It was nice to see Kevin Eldon make an appearance in the group therapy episode, Moondust.

Bring on S4!

Old 01-25-20, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm halfway through Season 3 and I really think this is the best show on TV right now. I was wondering about the transition to new actors from Season 1-2 to Season 3 and whether it would work, but the new cast is killing it.

I did see a quote from the creator of 'The Crown' and he said he will not touch on current Royal events on the show so we won't be getting the Harry/Meghan split angle from the Queen. I agree with him as his reasoning is that you have to let time sort of give everyone perspective and you shouldn't judge history at THE moment.

I do have to laugh at the Harry defenders (especially many on the left) that love that he and Meghan are getting their freedom from the staunchy Monarchy. They are essentially defending a guy who dressed up as a Nazi once on Halloween.
Old 01-31-20, 09:40 AM

“The Crown” will end after season five, in which Imelda Staunton is to play Queen Elizabeth, Variety has confirmed.

The historical drama from Sony-backed Left Bank Pictures, once believed to be an open-ended pursuit that could see the inclusion of new royals such as Meghan Markle and her new family, will end with Staunton, who had been rumored to be helming the series for a number of months.

“The Crown” has been Netflix’s most global-facing original out of the U.K., and saw Claire Foy play the Queen across its first two seasons, followed by Olivia Colman in the most recent season, which debuted last year.

Production has begun on season four, which will see the introduction of Princess Diana, has already begun.

Creator and executive producer Peter Morgan said: “I’m absolutely thrilled to confirm Imelda Staunton as Her Majesty The Queen for the fifth and final season, taking ‘The Crown’ into the 21st Century. Imelda is an astonishing talent and will be a fantastic successor to Claire Foy and Olivia Colman.”

Morgan said he had envisioned the show, which launched in late 2016, as running for six seasons, but “now that we have begun work on the stories for season five it has become clear to me that this is the perfect time and place to stop. I’m grateful to Netflix and Sony for supporting me in this decision.”

Cindy Holland, VP of original content for Netflix, said: “The first three seasons of The Crown defined an era, and I know the upcoming fourth season will build further on that success. It’s a stunning example of award-winning entertainment, created in the UK and loved by millions of fans around the world. I fully support Peter Morgan’s creative decision and am excited to see how he, Imelda Staunton and the cast and crew of Season 5, bring this landmark series to a fitting and spectacular end.”

Staunton added: “I have loved watching The Crown from the very start. As an actor it was a joy to see how both Claire Foy and Olivia Colman brought something special and unique to Peter Morgan’s scripts. I am genuinely honoured to be joining such an exceptional creative team and to be taking The Crown to its conclusion.”
https://variety.com/2020/tv/global/t...eth-1203488171

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.