TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S2E04) -- "Survivors" -- 10/31/16

Old 10-31-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Supergirl (S2E04) -- "Survivors" -- 10/31/16

MONDAY, OCTOBER 31

SUPERGIRL

"Survivors" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

HANK AND M'GANN GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER; AN ALIEN FIGHT CLUB RUN BY ROULETTE GRABS SUPERGIRL'S ATTENTION - When Kara (Melissa Benoist) and Alex (Chyler Leigh) investigate the murder of an unregistered alien, the trail leads to an alien fight club run by Roulette (guest star Dichen Lachman), the ringmaster who commands aliens to fight in mortal combat for the entertainment of rich humans. While trying to stop the fighting, Supergirl and Martian Manhunter find themselves up against a surprising opponent. Meanwhile, Hank (David Harewood) is thrilled to have found another Martian and tries to get to know M'Gann (guest star Sharon Leal) better. Supergirl takes Mon-El (Chris Wood) under her wing and begins to train him. James Marshall directed the episode written by Paula Yoo & Eric Carrasco (#204). Original airdate 10/31/2016.

Episode 4 of 22
Old 11-01-16, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S2E04) -- "Survivors" -- 10/31/16

Why didn't the Martians just break through the roof and fly away if they didn't want to fight each other?
Old 11-01-16, 09:39 AM

this is turning into some bad version of Men in Black, Law and Order, and an ABC afterschool special. I am done with this show.
Old 11-01-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
Why didn't the Martians just break through the roof and fly away if they didn't want to fight each other?
And how did the Woman of Steel get hurt? Definitely an episode you can only enjoy if you choose to forget what you have been shown about the abilities of each character.

And we are supposed to believe Snapper has an issue with sources and then is going to not question Kara using Supergirl as a source without proof?

Seemed like the only purpose of the episode was to get Megan and John together and then show that she has been a white Martian all along.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 11-01-16 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-01-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markam View Post
this is turning into some bad version of Men in Black, Law and Order, and an ABC afterschool special. I am done with this show.
Too many aliens in a show where the main character is an alien?
Old 11-01-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Seemed like the only purpose of the episode was to get Megan and John together and then show that she has been a white Martian all along.
Is that what she revealed was at the end? The ending left me confused... I suppose it would puzzle anyone not familiar with the lore.
Old 11-01-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Is that what she revealed was at the end? The ending left me confused... I suppose it would puzzle anyone not familiar with the lore.
Yes. There were even lines of dialog along the way to remand us of the conflict between the green and white "races' on Mars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Martian
Old 11-01-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I didn't realize that's what she was, and I've been following things. I have to miss the recap (and I'd probably fast forward anyway), and I just didn't make the connection, other than she's not what she says.
Old 11-01-16, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
I didn't realize that's what she was, and I've been following things. I have to miss the recap (and I'd probably fast forward anyway), and I just didn't make the connection, other than she's not what she says.
They had a flashback last season with the white Martians. I guess they didn't include it in the "previous on" segment does it would spoil the reveal.
Old 11-01-16, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So, is the White Martian truly Female? Looked kinda like a dude to me when it shifted.
Old 11-01-16, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You to! YES!

Why are they fighting?!?!?!?!
Old 11-01-16, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

For those confused about M'gann's reveal, it's not like they're gonna leave it hanging. I'm sure it will be revealed in the next couple episodes. They just kinda left it as a cliffhanger.

I'm not a diehard comics guy but I keep a DC Encyclopedia near the couch just to look up all the references and characters and damn, they fucking nailed the casting and costume design on Roulette.
Old 11-02-16, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wasn't really a fan of Alien fight club. Probably my least favorite of the 4 that have aired.

Although the special effects at the beginning of Daxam blowing up was kind of neat.
Old 11-02-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Originally Posted by markam View Post
These factors are the bigger problems I'm having with the show right now and my enjoyment of it.

I seriously don't need to see Men in Black the TV show. While yes, Supergirl is an alien and the easiest way to make problems for her that she can tackle be other aliens, they seem to go overboard with their problems. Much like last season there was so many fucking Kryptonians, this season seems way to fucking crowded with generic aliens that suddenly feel like it went to an Alien Nation level of common practice to them just being in the background.
Old 11-02-16, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In the JL: Unlimited cartoon ep that dealt with Roulette and her Meta Fight Club, the fighters were tagged and under the control of Roulette. Any deviation from fighting caused them pain. I thought it was weird that they didn't go with that idea and instead went with, "Aliens doing anything to survive" angle...
Old 11-02-16, 04:55 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

So how many episodes until they make Chyler Leigh do some lesbian stuff?
Old 11-02-16, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
So how many episodes until they make Chyler Leigh do some lesbian stuff?
That character sure was giving the reporter the "I want to kiss you" look until her girlfriend showed up and kissed her instead.

So possibly they are just going to keep her longing for it rather than ever getting any.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 11-02-16 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-02-16, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thought this was an Ok episode but not great. But I also wasn't expecting much when I saw that it was going to focus on Roulette and an underground superhero fight club which I've always hated as a subject for genre entertainment.

-Mon El's a nice addition to the cast. I think he has good charisma with Melissa and enjoyed watching him go and party with Wynn. Can't wait to see the costume Wynn makes for him.

-Not really a fan of this version of M'Gann. I really miss the socially awkward kind of goofy M'Gann from Teen Titans and Young Justice. Also maybe it's just me but she looks too old to be in her twenties and she looks like she would be someone that the actor playing J'onn would date.

-Hopefully this marks the end of Alexs' lesbian adventures.

-Also on that note hopefully this marks the end of Maggie appearing. Since it's the job of the DEO to investigate extraterrestrial threats I don't see what the purpose of her being there is and it almost seems like she is there to give Alex more to do. I agree with another poster that this makes the show feel too much like Law and Order: Alien investigation Unit.

-I will say though, Dichen Lachman looked like she stepped right out of the comic book.
Old 11-02-16, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post

-Hopefully this marks the end of Alexs' lesbian adventures.

-Also on that note hopefully this marks the end of Maggie appearing. Since it's the job of the DEO to investigate extraterrestrial threats I don't see what the purpose of her being there is and it almost seems like she is there to give Alex more to do. I agree with another poster that this makes the show feel too much like Law and Order: Alien investigation Unit.
Floriana Lima (Maggie) is a series regular.
Old 11-02-16, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is Mon El supposed to be related to the Kryptonian Els? Unless El is like the equivalent of Smith or Jones, seems like that should have been a plot point.
Old 11-03-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
And how did the Woman of Steel get hurt? Definitely an episode you can only enjoy if you choose to forget what you have been shown about the abilities of each character.
Braga was a champion on Warworld with Superman level strength. Not sure he appeared in the comics or just Superman: TAS. Now the question is what is he doing on Earth?

Last edited by Eric F; 11-03-16 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-03-16, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Is Mon El supposed to be related to the Kryptonian Els? Unless El is like the equivalent of Smith or Jones, seems like that should have been a plot point.
The comic people know way more than I but according to my encyclopedia, Clark named Mon-El. They met when Clark was still a teen in Smallville. Clark thought he was from Krypton so he gave him a Kryptonian name.
Old 11-04-16, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton View Post
These factors are the bigger problems I'm having with the show right now and my enjoyment of it.

I seriously don't need to see Men in Black the TV show. While yes, Supergirl is an alien and the easiest way to make problems for her that she can tackle be other aliens, they seem to go overboard with their problems. Much like last season there was so many fucking Kryptonians, this season seems way to fucking crowded with generic aliens that suddenly feel like it went to an Alien Nation level of common practice to them just being in the background.
Old 11-04-16, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This show is good when there are low key character building moments like Kara asking Jonn if he used his inside voice, and her conversations with Mon-El. The rest was quite a lot of hot garbage.

Also, when she bust into Lena's office I was All I could think of was Clark bursting into Lex's on Smallville.
Old 11-05-16, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
So, is the White Martian truly Female? Looked kinda like a dude to me when it shifted.
I get the feeling they re-used the CGI leftover from last season's Martian episode for Megann's White Martian body, which were all guys. She didn't really look female in her White Martian form.

They've done a great job with Mon-El's introduction. They aren't making him the misunderstood alien or wasting our time with needless character diversions. I expect him to be in his costume by the end of sweeps. I wonder if they romantically involve him with Kara.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.