The Walking Dead (S7E02) -- "The Well" -- 10/30/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S7E02) -- "The Well" -- 10/30/16

Old 11-01-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S7E02) -- "The Well" -- 10/30/16

Originally Posted by stingermck
This article is slanted towards GOT, but I gotta agree with the point. GOT juggles multiple storylines in 1 episode no problem. TWD could benefit from trying, rather than full stand alone episodes, where nothing happens.
I don't watch Game of Thrones, so I don't know how they set their episodes up... but I agree. I don't mind them separating the group, but I hate when they concentrate on one group/story line in the episode and then concentrate on the other the next episode. I like to see what's going on with everyone each week. Plus it eliminates sitting through an entire episode that's dull as hell.

I guess the real problem is that the writers don't really know how to write anything interesting that doesn't have a major conflict. It doesn't help that they keep rotating the same internal emotional/psychological conflict with different characters - discussions about coming to terms with "it's us or them", "people are the real monsters", "this is the new world we live in", "I've had enough of killing - I give up"", etc.
Old 11-01-16, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I don't watch Game of Thrones, so I don't know how they set their episodes up... but I agree. I don't mind them separating the group, but I hate when they concentrate on one group/story line in the episode and then concentrate on the other the next episode. I like to see what's going on with everyone each week. Plus it eliminates sitting through an entire episode that's dull as hell.
But The Walking Dead has been structured like that from the beginning. I just don't get complaining about how a show that's been on for six seasons (and is a ratings juggernaut) is laid out when it's always that way. It's like complaining that they solve a different crime every week on CSI.

I guess the real problem is that the writers don't really know how to write anything interesting that doesn't have a major conflict. It doesn't help that they keep rotating the same internal emotional/psychological conflict with different characters - discussions about coming to terms with "it's us or them", "people are the real monsters", "this is the new world we live in", "I've had enough of killing - I give up"", etc.
I'm not sure how many more stories there are to tell. It's not like they can get into workplace dynamics or wacky shenanigans with a first date.
Old 11-01-16, 10:42 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

loved this one, as always. Ezekiel revealing he is more or less a fraud was refreshing and that exchange with him and Carol was great. also, that little smirk she had at the end was priceless. i think they are going to bang...
Old 11-01-16, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

I have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised by the positive remarks about this week's episode. TWD often struggles with these character driven episodes, but this one was a damned good one.

I think this episode helped to solidify why I have such issues with Rick and the hero group ... It focused quite a bit on leaders, followers, and the needs of a society. For me, that highlighted the shortcomings of Rick and the group.

The writers' treatment of Carol has been very disappointing. She has had the greatest potential for an overall character arc, but often ends up as an inconsistent catch-all for castaway story lines. Her journey from abused spouse to grieving mother to strategist warrior would be a great show on its own. Unfortunately this show often squanders the character and actress.

Re: the pigs -- yes, it is more of a "spit in your food" gesture. Until the show writers decide to arbitrarily change the rules. They have established animals are not impacted and humans are all already infected, so it doesn't really matter.

My recoding caught the beginning of TD and I enjoyed Ezekiel on there -- he's not British! Good god the girl from Agents of SHIELD looked disgusted to even be there.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 11-01-16 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-01-16, 10:46 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I still think Carol is, by far, the most interesting character on the show (stealth edit: Totally agree with Abob above me!), but this episode was a bit of a bore. Not terrible, though. As someone who isn't very far in the comics, I knew nothing about Ezekiel. I liked his conversation with Carol where we see what he's really about... it made the idea of his community a little less absurd, although I wonder how many of them are really in on the joke (his right-hand man... the guy from Halt and Catch Fire... seemed to be having fun with it). Again, some of the direction in this episode was just... blah.

I agree about the way they're setting up these episodes, and how they should be able to tackle multiple storylines, although, as I recall, they've been following this formula for a really long time now. So we shouldn't really expect anything different. I'm sure it has to do with the contractual "Star X can only appear in Y number of episodes" thing that was mentioned before by someone else.
Old 11-01-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
But The Walking Dead has been structured like that from the beginning. I just don't get complaining about how a show that's been on for six seasons (and is a ratings juggernaut) is laid out when it's always that way. It's like complaining that they solve a different crime every week on CSI.
It doesn't matter that it's been like that since the start or that the show gets great ratings, it's still a legit gripe that a lot of people have... even though it's not enough to get them stop watching altogether.

I'm not sure how many more stories there are to tell. It's not like they can get into workplace dynamics or wacky shenanigans with a first date.
It's not always about the "story", but about the nuances around the characters and the situation they're in. If you look at Breaking Bad, there were many episodes without any real action or drama - yet it continued to be interesting. It's like Ebert said... it's not what it's about - it's how it's about. Good writing elevates the most basic plots.
Old 11-01-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I enjoyed this episode.

It looks like Carol is fitting into the role Michone plays in the comic books in relation to Ezekiel, judging by the apparent booty call at the end.
Old 11-01-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
is it really that bad of an arrangement?
Well, the Saviors bash someone's head in at the start of the arrangement to establish dominance. They then kill people if the group doesn't supply goods on schedule.

That seems like a stupid arrangement even from the Saviors' perspective because workers are a limited resource themselves. I'm guessing the Saviors aren't planning to grow old or have kids.
Old 11-01-16, 12:57 PM

I can't watch Khary Payton without expecting him to start singing about burgers or start saying "waffles" over and over.
Old 11-01-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

I enjoyed the episode, apart from the inconsistent CG for the tiger.

I would have enjoyed it less had Ezekiel not come clean about what he was doing.

Not having read the comics, do they ever have an issue concentrating away from the main group?
Old 11-01-16, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,676 Likes on 1,846 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Not having read the comics, do they ever have an issue concentrating away from the main group?
Not really. Keep in mind, though, that the comics are only about twenty-four pages long, so not everyone will appear in every issue. It's really serialized, where the ending of one issue leads directy into the next, so you can go a while without seeing Rick or Michonne or Maggie. The way the tv series is structured it's almost like each episode is a comic issue.

The closest they've come to excluding the main cast is in a fairly recent issue that (spoilered for the sensitive, I will reveal nothing specific)
Spoiler:
takes place after the conflict with Negan and the Saviors is (more or less) resolved, and there's a two or three year time jump, and the reader sees Alexandria from the point of view of a small group of new characters who come there.
Old 11-01-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

I always felt that they way they shift focus from episode to episode seems like a comics storytelling influence. It seems less likely you could realistically jump around between storylines numerous times in a single issue without it becoming a mess. That said, I don't read comics let alone The Walking Dead comics, so maybe I'm wrong. But it has always felt to me like they did this in part as a nod to their comics origin (as well as the business decision which keeps character episode appearances per season at a limit).
Old 11-01-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

No story spoilers but comic structure talk:

Spoiler:
The comics typically don't devote a lot of time to a "backstory of one character" (although they do have that for a few characters outside of the main comic) or "flashback to how this event transpired" stuff that the show does. I think there's only like two flashbacks in the series, everything else is in the present.

If the group is split up, the events going on in the separate locations tie directly into each other, so you're not ever wondering "What the hell are we doing here?" like people may do with the show.

Last edited by bluetoast; 11-01-16 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-02-16, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by mnementh
I can't watch Khary Payton without expecting him to start singing about burgers or start saying "waffles" over and over.
I didn't realize he was cyborg from teen titans.
Old 11-02-16, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral

It's gotten ridiculous. Why is everyone so obsessed with trying to get Carol to stay where she is? Hell, she's even at this "Kingdom" for only a couple days and the "King" (who barely knows her) seems to have trouble letting her go. Does Carol have a magic pussy that all guys are trying to bang?
She's good in a fight. King Zeke wants her and Morgan to stick around in case some shit goes down.
Should put a BEWARE OF CAROL sign in front yard of house she's staying in.

"Okay guys. Give up now or we're going to unleash Carol!"

"Wait! Wait! We give up! Just don't unleash Carol! Please! Anything but Carol!"
Old 11-02-16, 01:54 PM

I think Carol will end up baking something for Neegan with poison in it.

As to the pigs, if they're eating walkers then whomever eats their meat should get sick and die.

Tainted meat. Tainted meat.

How many animals have we seen? Not many. So, most probably died. Otherwise, where are they?

Can't wait to see Carol and Morgan's reaction to Glenn and Abraham's deaths.
Old 11-02-16, 02:07 PM

I thought it was a good episode, a nice (and needed) change of pace after last week's premiere.

I think they could have held Ezekiel revealing his backstory and admitting that he's playing a character for a little while at least. It seemed fast to introduce him then see that side within the same episode.
Old 11-02-16, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having heard or read spoilers about Negan years ago I knew Ezekiel, his tiger, and The Kingdom were coming. And because it seemed so over the top, I didn't know what to expect. I enjoyed this past episode just as much as I did the previous one. Totally different tones, but both executed quite well. And since I didn't get that much spoiled, I'm looking forward to seeing how these new storylines connect and play out.
Old 11-03-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryW

As to the pigs, if they're eating walkers then whomever eats their meat should get sick and die.

Tainted meat. Tainted meat.

Yea they pretty much beat us over the head with the guy who fed the pigs the rot at least hopes that is what happens.
Old 11-03-16, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I'll admit I know nothing about pigs, but they have to eat rotten food from time to time on a farm, right? I would think that wouldn't necessarily mean the pork is bad.
Old 11-03-16, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

If Negan's guys got sick from the pigs they'd come back and kill a whole bunch of people.