Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Pure Genius (CBS) -- From creator of Friday Night Lights & Parenthood -- 10/27/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Pure Genius (CBS) -- From creator of Friday Night Lights & Parenthood -- 10/27/16

Old 10-27-16, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

From the executive producer of Parenthood and Friday Night Lights comes a unique medical drama centered around a young Silicon Valley tech billionaire who builds the ultimate cutting-edge hospital that treats only the most rare and insurmountable medical mysteries—at no cost. Lending credibility to this new venture is a maverick surgeon who’s the first to discover that his boss’s mission is to get bureaucracy out of medicine, use the most forward thinkers in technology, and just save lives—including his own.

Dermot Mulroney, Augustus Prew, Odette Annable, Reshma Shetty, Aaron Jennings, Ward Horton and Brenda Song Star

"Pilot" - Silicon Valley tech titan James Bell enlists Dr. Walter Wallace, an exceptional veteran surgeon with a controversial past, to run his state-of-the-art hospital with an ultramodern approach to medicine, on the series premiere of the new drama PURE GENIUS, Thursday, Oct. 27 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Dermot Mulroney, Augustus Prew, Odette Annable, Reshma Shetty, Aaron Jennings, Ward Horton and Brenda Song star.

Billionaire genius James Bell built Bunker Hill Hospital determined to revolutionize health care and treat the rarest and most challenging medical mysteries, at no charge. Previously, his chief of staff, Dr. Wallace, believed medicine was a human endeavor, not technological, until a eureka moment at the hospital convinced him otherwise. Bell's team of trailblazers includes Dr. Zoe Brockett, an exceptional, fearlessly frank physician; Dr. Talaikha Channarayapatra, an idealistic, maddeningly literal neurosurgeon who believes the hospital is a beacon for change; Dr. Malik Verlaine, a former gangbanger now spearheading efforts to provide 24/7 health monitoring in poor neighborhoods via computer; Dr. Scott Strauss, an intense neurologist with an Ivy league pedigree; and Angie Cheng, an enthusiastic 3-D printer programming whiz. At Bunker Hill, Bell pairs the most brilliant minds in medicine with the most forward thinkers in technology and cuts bureaucracy out of the equation, all in the interest of saving lives, including his own.

EP/SR: Jason Katims (Parenthood, Friday Night Lights)
EP/Dir: David Semel (Code Black, Madam Secretary)
EP/NW: Michelle Lee (The Path, About a Boy)

Cast:
Dermot Mulroney (Shameless, My Best Friend's Wedding)
Augustus Prew (Klondike, The Borgias)
Odette Annable (Banshee, House M.D.)
Reshma Shetty (Royal Pains, Happyish)
Aaron Jennings (Aquarius, Bones)
Ward Horton (Annabelle)
Brenda Song (Scandal, The Social Network)

This show was created and Produced by Jason Katims, the creator and showrunner of Friday Night Lights and Parenthood.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-27-16 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-27-16, 07:51 AM

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Pure Genius (CBS) -- From creator of Friday Night Lights & Parenthood -- 10/27/16

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
This show was created and Produced by Jason Katims, the creator and showrunner of Friday Night Lights and Parenthood.
How well did that do for "the creator of Breaking Bad" when his new show was on CBS?
Old 10-27-16, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Pure Genius (CBS) -- From creator of Friday Night Lights & Parenthood -- 10/27/16

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
How well did that do for "the creator of Breaking Bad" when his new show was on CBS?
Oh you mean Battle Creek? Well, Vince didn't actually work on that show. He was just a credited Producer and they worked off a script for the Pilot that he wrote years ago before Breaking Bad. Cheap marketing ploy by CBS to get eyes on it.

Katims is actually involved with this day to day.

Early reviews are mixed. Some say it's a pretty by the numbers medical drama. I did read 1 positive review from Newsday.
Old 10-27-16, 08:13 AM

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Some say it's a pretty by the numbers medical drama.
Just what we needed more of!
Old 10-27-16, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like a more dramatic spin on House. They even cast Odette Annable from the final seasons of House.
Old 10-27-16, 03:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Despite the Katims' involvement, I'm just not feeling this. Not to mention it's been forever since I've been pleasantly surprised by a new scripted drama offered by CBS.

Will likely wait a few weeks to see what the consensus is.
Old 10-27-16, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too bad of a first episode. I liked it.
Old 10-28-16, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt care for the main lead, "Tech Billionaire" guy. i found him annoying and arrogant. You can't make medical promises, there are just too many variables.
Old 10-28-16, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't like hospital shows because I find them too stressful. Since this is really science fiction, I watched this one. The acting and stories were good. If it's a hit, I'm afraid people will get the "CSI Effect" and start to believe that this stuff is really possible.
Old 10-28-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dammit, I missed this but they had me at Odette and Brenda. Gonna catch up on demand.
Old 10-28-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Umm... isn't this identical to the plot of Scream Queens season two? I mean, just without the monster.
Old 10-28-16, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This show had a soft start in the ratings (close to Rush Hour bad 18-49 ratings), so it may be short lived. I plan to watch the show, but it just feels like a show that is not going to be hit. Like Kal-El I definitely do not mind watching anything with Odette and Brenda Song (I even watched that bad Fox sitcom with Seth Green, Brenda Song, and Giovanni Ribisi due to the cast), but the show just feels off.
Old 10-29-16, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Decent show, we enjoyed it. But we are CBS's demographic (older than dirt), so they knew we would watch it...
Old 10-29-16, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
Umm... isn't this identical to the plot of Scream Queens season two?
in many ways yes, if only we could have a cross over ep between networks! They could send each other their toughest cases.

as for the show.. Errrrrrrrr I don't know, like the cast but hate the show setting (yet another medical) and over all premise. I will say that at least they went all out trying to make it look high tech. Even if that main battle hub room looks like Zion's mission control from the Matrix.

I have a feeling that the treatments will get more and more BS in later eps. Yet the reason medical dramas kind of work is they are grounded in real life. They might as well set this show in say 2045 or something so they could go all out on made up issues and how they fix them with tech.
Old 10-31-16, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So I watched the 1st episode yesterday. I thought it wasn't too bad. It wasn't as by the numbers as some of the reviews said it was. Nothing groundbreaking. Most of the supporting cast I like including Mulroney, Brenda Song and Odette. She's almost playing the same kind of character she played on House.

Yeah, it's a medical procedural show, but the technology and science showed in the episode is 100% fantasy/science fiction. The treatment that they gave the woman who was pregnant with a cancerous tumor was hardly realistic.

The main character James Bell is a little cocky, but looks like he's got some kind of medical issue as well since he confessed it to Dr. Wallace (Mulroney's character) who he was recruiting.

The original name of the show was "Bunkerhill" which is the name of the hospital. I wonder why they changed it to such a corny name like "Pure Genius"

CBS already has Code Black, so I don't know if there are enough viewers for 2 medical shows on 1 network.
Old 10-31-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's way too science fictiony for me.
The tech is so over the top futuristic it's laughable.

Maybe if there was a little "Sometime in the Future" tag at the front.

Also I don't like the guy who runs Bunkerhill.
Not so much a genius as a guy who hired a bunch of really good people around him.

He speaks oddly to me too.
Just not likable.
Old 10-31-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh and was the guy in the wheelchair who has the same medical affliction as Pure Genius supposed to be his father?
Old 10-31-16, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Oh and was the guy in the wheelchair who has the same medical affliction as Pure Genius supposed to be his father?
I think that was just to show what he has to look forward to as the disease progresses. A future self, unless he can genius his way out of it.
Old 10-31-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok yeh. good point.
Old 11-09-16, 04:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay...I actually agree with folks that if this were a show set in the future (like the show Almost Human) it would be a much more enjoyable viewing experience. Too much deus ex machina type scenarios in the show. I still like the cast, but it is struggling in the ratings so the show may be cut short anyway.
Old 11-11-16, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is basically House, MD with better tech.
Old 11-12-16, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last ep with the fat woman was really bad.

That was as bad a fat suit on a woman as you might see on SNL skit.

Then they had to take her to the zoo to use an MRI she would fit into.
It was the same size as a humna mri and how were they going to mri that zebra?
Make it climb onto the table and lie down on it's side?

Come on.
Old 11-13-16, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Every time the commercial came on before the premiere, the rich dude came across looking like a douche. It made me not want to check it out.
Old 11-21-16, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A.V. Club agrees that it's dumb and CBS too.

http://www.avclub.com/article/cbs-de...ocialMarketing

"Apparently, the technologically advanced doctors on CBS’ Pure Genius have stumbled onto the one problem that can’t be solved by playing with a touch screen and mumbling some medical jargon, as Deadline is reporting that the network has decided not to pick up any episodes beyond its initial 13-episode order. "