DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Timeless (S1E04) -- "Party at Castle Varlar" -- 10/24/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/637849-timeless-s1e04-party-castle-varlar-10-24-16-a.html)

DJariya 10-24-16 04:43 PM

Timeless (S1E04) -- "Party at Castle Varlar" -- 10/24/16

https://www.nbc.com/sites/nbcunbc/fi...?itok=N2hqP5lz

"TIMELESS"

"PARTY AT CASTLE VARLAR" ORIGINAL

10/24/2016 (10:01PM - 11:00PM) (Monday) : THE TEAM CHASES FLYNN THROUGH NAZI GERMANY IN THE MIDST OF WORLD WAR TWO. Lucy (Abigail Spencer), Wyatt (Matt Lanter), and Rufus (Malcolm Barrett) are shocked when they're told the mothership has landed in Nazi Germany, but time is short, and they're the only ones equipped to kill Flynn (Goran Visnjic) and end his psychotic crusade. Now, in hot pursuit of a genius with sinister associations, the team weighs the consequences of Flynn's destruction, meets the man behind one of literature's most popular figures, and endures a very uncomfortable... party. Also starring Paterson Joseph, Sakina Jaffrey and Claudia Doumit. Guest starring Sean Maguire, Matt Frewer and Chad Rook. TV-14 D, L

Joe Schmoe 10-25-16 07:17 AM

Re: Timeless (S1E04) -- "Party at Castle Varlar" -- 10/24/16

Solid episode. A Lucy/Wyatt romance looks inevitable, but I wonder if it would get in the way of their missions.

DJariya 10-25-16 01:15 PM

Enjoyed this episode. Although Rufus hanging around in 1940's Nazi Germany would stick out like a sore thumb. :lol: I liked the actor who played Fleming.

If the only major thing they screwed up was adding a new James Bond book and then movie to the film catalog...."Ian Fleming's Weapon of Choice", I think this mission ended up being a success.

windom 10-25-16 02:35 PM

Didn't they say that the new James Bond movie came out in 1964? In that case, Goldfinger may have never been made.

PhantomStranger 10-25-16 02:44 PM

I liked this episode more than the first two episodes. The Ian Fleming appearance was fun and smartly handled.

I am very happy how they've been portraying the three leads. A lot of shows would have taken Lucy and Rufus and turned them into deadly covert agents overnight. I like seeing their normal reactions to the situations they've been placed. Lucy the historian having to deal with the fact that Wyatt has to kill certain people that get in their way.

I have a feeling we are all going to be sick of them visiting Nazi Germany by the end of this season. We've already gotten two episodes set around WWII.

Superman07 10-25-16 09:43 PM

Good episode. I do wonder if we'll get one set mostly in the present to flesh out their current struggles.

Taking the time to breath and allow the characters time to interact and develop is nice, especially given all the frantic chaos going on in each episode. Rufus and Von Braun interaction was not only done well, but thoughtful. "If you were so concerned, you wouldn't have built it to begin with."

I wonder of Writtenhaus will be a big twist/secret, or some sort of organization that has been manipulating history behind the scenes for decades.

Astrofan 10-25-16 10:41 PM

Nice, full of holes, but nice. Can't believe they referenced two movies that aren't based on Fleming's books.

Astrofan 10-25-16 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12930878)
I liked this episode more than the first two episodes.

This was the fourth.

hdnmickey 10-26-16 09:00 AM

Enjoyed the Bond angle more than I thought I would given the actor they cast int he role. He was always fun on OUAT. And that was a great payoff for the nuke story arc.

Seems like they are indeed headed to a point where they introduce new villain characters that run Writtenhaus and have been blackmailing people into changing history to their liking.

bunkaroo 10-26-16 09:22 AM

Question - does using the nuke as a battery mean they "bad guys" don't have to come back to the present to recharge?

Quatermass 10-26-16 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12930802)
Enjoyed this episode. Although Rufus hanging around in 1940's Nazi Germany would stick out like a sore thumb. :lol: .

I liked the line where Ian Fleming says something like
"You Americans couldn't be more obvious if you tried"
then he sees Rufus and says
"I stand corrected"

This episode reminded me of "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles"

hdnmickey 10-26-16 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 12931337)
Question - does using the nuke as a battery mean they "bad guys" don't have to come back to the present to recharge?

That's how I took it. Coming back seems to make them vulnerable to getting caught.

davidh777 10-26-16 11:21 AM

Fun episode, and the Bond angle was a good twist on what could've been a standard Nazi story.

"I bet Bond sleeps with Lucy in THAT one." :lol:

bunkaroo 10-26-16 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12931347)
That's how I took it. Coming back seems to make them vulnerable to getting caught.

I hope it results in the other team doing the same thing. They waste too much time showing them getting dressed, getting in the pod, getting the pod ready to go...they really don't need to show that every episode.

hdnmickey 10-26-16 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 12931441)
I hope it results in the other team doing the same thing. They waste too much time showing them getting dressed, getting in the pod, getting the pod ready to go...they really don't need to show that every episode.

I agree. They could have set the stage for that by Lucy's asking for them to create an excuse for her to be gone for long periods of time.

But then again, they really can't fit in unless they come back and get appropriate costumes, props, and weapons. Unless they just give up on trying to fit in.

mphtrilogy 10-26-16 01:10 PM

I like this show a lot. But don't know how they can stretch this out for multiple seasons.

Fun ride for one season tho.

stopgap 10-26-16 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy (Post 12931540)
I like this show a lot. But don't know how they can stretch this out for multiple seasons.

Fun ride for one season tho.

I am in the same boat with you. This show can easily lose whatever momentum it gains this season.

Seems 'to me' Frequency has more of a staying power.

Joe Schmoe 10-26-16 07:20 PM

I was glad the time machine was finally spotted by someone after it went back in time. I know Rufus probably tries to pick a remote destination when they go back in time, but it can't go unseen every time they go back.

I was wondering... Does Lucy really need an excuse for why she's gone? How long is she gone from the present when she time travels? If the trio purposefully returned at the same moment they left the present, then would anyone in the present miss them?

randian 10-26-16 07:22 PM

Lucy might be absent from her home in the present doing research or training.

Doc Moonlight 10-26-16 08:36 PM

Surprised and delighted by the Tom Lehrer reference:

"'Once the rockets go up,
Who cares where they come down,
That's not my department',
Says Werner Von Braun."

Superman07 10-26-16 09:26 PM

Even if they don't have to come back to the present they can still be tracked. I guess it just forces the confrontation to the past, and prevents them from being captured in the present.

I'm still bugged that this entire operation is run out of a shack staffed by 20-30 people, and some mid level government worker with an attitude is giving them their marching orders. Maybe it's because of Rittenhause, but it seems off.

JasonF 10-26-16 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe (Post 12931842)
I was wondering... Does Lucy really need an excuse for why she's gone? How long is she gone from the present when she time travels? If the trio purposefully returned at the same moment they left the present, then would anyone in the present miss them?

I think she said she needed an excuse for why she is on call at 3 am, not for why she has to be gone for long periods of time. Although it's time travel -- if something comes up at 3 am on a Friday, no reason they can't wait until 9 am Monday morning. Maybe the model of time travel they are using means that however much time passes in the past, the same amount passes in the present?