Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

Old 10-23-16, 09:30 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 57,073
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16




The Strain

Season Three - Episode Descriptions

Episode 9 / Production #309 - "Do Or Die" (Airs October 23, 10:00 pm e/p) - NYC is falling. Eph and Dutch frantically race to finish their new device to stop the Master before the city is overrun. Justine, Gus, and Angel fight in one last stand to stop the spreading virus. Palmer extracts vengeance for past wrongs but may have crossed the line. Written by David Weddle & Bradley Thompson; directed by Vincenzo Natali.
Old 10-24-16, 03:33 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vhe3vSe-mmw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-24-16, 11:09 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,880
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

Is anybody still watching?

I'm pissed that Angel went out like that, but I loved that he "appeared" in his Lucha outfit. I really wish they had done more with the character. Also pissed that Ferraro went out like that too -- seriously, splatter in the eye again? Such cheap meaningless deaths.

On the other hand, Palmer ... Fucking-A that was badass for him!
Old 10-24-16, 11:54 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 1,863
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Is anybody still watching?

I'm pissed that Angel went out like that, but I loved that he "appeared" in his Lucha outfit. I really wish they had done more with the character. Also pissed that Ferraro went out like that too -- seriously, splatter in the eye again? Such cheap meaningless deaths.

On the other hand, Palmer ... Fucking-A that was badass for him!
With the exception of scenes involving Ephraim or his family, I am really enjoying this season more than the previous two. I feel the wife and son do for this show the same as Fish does for Gotham. Agreed about the loss of Angel and the use of the worm in the eye again was a waste. Hated seeing her go also.

Fet is by far my favorite character on this show, but I am loving the use of Palmer the last couple of episodes. Him flipping sides has been great for his character.
Old 10-25-16, 12:13 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Koby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Isle de Muerta
Posts: 1,931
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

Originally Posted by darkdaze73 View Post
I am loving the use of Palmer the last couple of episodes. Him flipping sides has been great for his character.
It's still just him self-serving to his own benefit though, so nothing seems to have really changed with him. Only reason he shifted sides was because the Master wasn't giving him the 'white', while Sek is for now.
Old 10-25-16, 02:18 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31,001
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

I'm obviously still enjoying the shit out of the show but this episode really shows how truncated the season is due to them only extending it for one more year as opposed to two. They're cutting threads and ties FAST.

If you guys have not read the books or graphic novels - Angel
Spoiler:
actually dies at the hands of the reiterated Master. He is wounded and stays back and gives folks time to escape but the Master literally splits him in half,
with the luchador mask on. I guess they figured it would be to corny for real world Angel to wear the mask, which is why he never did. IDK.

I did like that Palmer bit - that was fucking badass. Also, that new crew he has with the other black dude leading were also badasses. The actor that played his father - that was Donna's dad from That 70's show. haha
Old 10-25-16, 10:25 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,524
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

One down - Only one to go!

I'm sure the Angel character worked better in the comics since he was drawn as somebody that could hold his own. But the Angel on the show was pathetic.

Once again the back story scenes were awesome. I was quickly wondering why Palmer reverted back to sickly again so fast, but them blam! But no doubt the Nazi survived it in some way and will be around until the finale. Which is fine since his character is fun to hate.
Old 10-26-16, 01:26 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 1,863
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
One down - Only one to go!

I'm sure the Angel character worked better in the comics since he was drawn as somebody that could hold his own. But the Angel on the show was pathetic.

Once again the back story scenes were awesome. I was quickly wondering why Palmer reverted back to sickly again so fast, but them blam! But no doubt the Nazi survived it in some way and will be around until the finale. Which is fine since his character is fun to hate.
Loved the scene in the previous episode of him leaning over smiling at Setrakian and Fet as they drove by in that truck. Couldn't help but laugh.
Old 10-26-16, 02:50 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,632
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

I really enjoyed this ep. Sorry to see Angel and the politician lady go.
Old 10-26-16, 02:13 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 22,396
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

I thought it was a fitting ending for Angel. The ending with Palmer was great, I was not expecting an attack force. Though once again an enemy could have been finished off and they let him escape.

This was probably the best episode of the season. It was interesting to see Palmer's background with his father.
Old 10-26-16, 03:35 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,880
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
It's still just him self-serving to his own benefit though, so nothing seems to have really changed with him. Only reason he shifted sides was because the Master wasn't giving him the 'white', while Sek is for now.
Still self-serving? Yes. Any more so than Eph? Not really. More enjoyable than Eph? After that, hell yes.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I thought it was a fitting ending for Angel. The ending with Palmer was great, I was not expecting an attack force. Though once again an enemy could have been finished off and they let him escape.

This was probably the best episode of the season. It was interesting to see Palmer's background with his father.
I'll agree the manner was fitting for Angel, but it really was not earned at all. In fact, his storyline got clunky after he went to the Stoneheart Clinic (kept waiting for some payoff there, but there was none -- "I got a bandaid and now I can no longer speak English. I'm good!"). I don't mind that he went out saving Gus, but that scene was poorly executed.

Not sure why we needed the Palmer backstory; it was out of place but OK, I guess. I think he deliberately let Eichorst go in order to send a clear message to the Master (or force the Master to visit him).

Somebody mentioned the "ramped up" pacing since the "one last season" announcement ... These episodes would have been in the can already, wouldn't they? I can't imagine they would be able to alter much of this season in such short order.
Old 10-26-16, 03:42 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Koby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Isle de Muerta
Posts: 1,931
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

What I don't get is book readers kept talking about some big pay-off to the whole Angel & Gus storyline, but here Angel gets taken out without ever having had done much of anything since he was introduced. I'm obviously not a book reader of this series, but have they drastically altered the events of these two or am I just missing something?
Old 10-26-16, 03:52 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,250
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I really enjoyed this ep. Sorry to see Angel and the politician lady go.
I liked her, that was a lame end for her. Looks more like a salary dump than an organic story element.
Old 10-26-16, 04:59 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31,001
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
What I don't get is book readers kept talking about some big pay-off to the whole Angel & Gus storyline, but here Angel gets taken out without ever having had done much of anything since he was introduced. I'm obviously not a book reader of this series, but have they drastically altered the events of these two or am I just missing something?

As I said, there was an awesome payoff to Angel in the novels and comic. I was not a fan of how he went out on the show.
Old 10-26-16, 08:46 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,880
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

No, you haven't missed anything. From what I have read, there are significant differences.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.