The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

The Strain

Season Three - Episode Descriptions

Episode 9 / Production #309 - "Do Or Die" (Airs October 23, 10:00 pm e/p) - NYC is falling. Eph and Dutch frantically race to finish their new device to stop the Master before the city is overrun. Justine, Gus, and Angel fight in one last stand to stop the spreading virus. Palmer extracts vengeance for past wrongs but may have crossed the line. Written by David Weddle & Bradley Thompson; directed by Vincenzo Natali.
Old 10-24-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Strain (S3E09) -- "Do Or Die" -- 10/23/16

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vhe3vSe-mmw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-24-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Is anybody still watching?

I'm pissed that Angel went out like that, but I loved that he "appeared" in his Lucha outfit. I really wish they had done more with the character. Also pissed that Ferraro went out like that too -- seriously, splatter in the eye again? Such cheap meaningless deaths.

On the other hand, Palmer ... Fucking-A that was badass for him!
Old 10-24-16, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Is anybody still watching?

I'm pissed that Angel went out like that, but I loved that he "appeared" in his Lucha outfit. I really wish they had done more with the character. Also pissed that Ferraro went out like that too -- seriously, splatter in the eye again? Such cheap meaningless deaths.

On the other hand, Palmer ... Fucking-A that was badass for him!
With the exception of scenes involving Ephraim or his family, I am really enjoying this season more than the previous two. I feel the wife and son do for this show the same as Fish does for Gotham. Agreed about the loss of Angel and the use of the worm in the eye again was a waste. Hated seeing her go also.

Fet is by far my favorite character on this show, but I am loving the use of Palmer the last couple of episodes. Him flipping sides has been great for his character.
Old 10-24-16, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
I am loving the use of Palmer the last couple of episodes. Him flipping sides has been great for his character.
It's still just him self-serving to his own benefit though, so nothing seems to have really changed with him. Only reason he shifted sides was because the Master wasn't giving him the 'white', while Sek is for now.
Old 10-25-16, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm obviously still enjoying the shit out of the show but this episode really shows how truncated the season is due to them only extending it for one more year as opposed to two. They're cutting threads and ties FAST.

If you guys have not read the books or graphic novels - Angel
Spoiler:
actually dies at the hands of the reiterated Master. He is wounded and stays back and gives folks time to escape but the Master literally splits him in half,
with the luchador mask on. I guess they figured it would be to corny for real world Angel to wear the mask, which is why he never did. IDK.

I did like that Palmer bit - that was fucking badass. Also, that new crew he has with the other black dude leading were also badasses. The actor that played his father - that was Donna's dad from That 70's show. haha
Old 10-25-16, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One down - Only one to go!

I'm sure the Angel character worked better in the comics since he was drawn as somebody that could hold his own. But the Angel on the show was pathetic.

Once again the back story scenes were awesome. I was quickly wondering why Palmer reverted back to sickly again so fast, but them blam! But no doubt the Nazi survived it in some way and will be around until the finale. Which is fine since his character is fun to hate.
Old 10-26-16, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
One down - Only one to go!

I'm sure the Angel character worked better in the comics since he was drawn as somebody that could hold his own. But the Angel on the show was pathetic.

Once again the back story scenes were awesome. I was quickly wondering why Palmer reverted back to sickly again so fast, but them blam! But no doubt the Nazi survived it in some way and will be around until the finale. Which is fine since his character is fun to hate.
Loved the scene in the previous episode of him leaning over smiling at Setrakian and Fet as they drove by in that truck. Couldn't help but laugh.
Old 10-26-16, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I really enjoyed this ep. Sorry to see Angel and the politician lady go.
Old 10-26-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I thought it was a fitting ending for Angel. The ending with Palmer was great, I was not expecting an attack force. Though once again an enemy could have been finished off and they let him escape.

This was probably the best episode of the season. It was interesting to see Palmer's background with his father.
Old 10-26-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Koby
It's still just him self-serving to his own benefit though, so nothing seems to have really changed with him. Only reason he shifted sides was because the Master wasn't giving him the 'white', while Sek is for now.
Still self-serving? Yes. Any more so than Eph? Not really. More enjoyable than Eph? After that, hell yes.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I thought it was a fitting ending for Angel. The ending with Palmer was great, I was not expecting an attack force. Though once again an enemy could have been finished off and they let him escape.

This was probably the best episode of the season. It was interesting to see Palmer's background with his father.
I'll agree the manner was fitting for Angel, but it really was not earned at all. In fact, his storyline got clunky after he went to the Stoneheart Clinic (kept waiting for some payoff there, but there was none -- "I got a bandaid and now I can no longer speak English. I'm good!"). I don't mind that he went out saving Gus, but that scene was poorly executed.

Not sure why we needed the Palmer backstory; it was out of place but OK, I guess. I think he deliberately let Eichorst go in order to send a clear message to the Master (or force the Master to visit him).

Somebody mentioned the "ramped up" pacing since the "one last season" announcement ... These episodes would have been in the can already, wouldn't they? I can't imagine they would be able to alter much of this season in such short order.
Old 10-26-16, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

What I don't get is book readers kept talking about some big pay-off to the whole Angel & Gus storyline, but here Angel gets taken out without ever having had done much of anything since he was introduced. I'm obviously not a book reader of this series, but have they drastically altered the events of these two or am I just missing something?
Old 10-26-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I really enjoyed this ep. Sorry to see Angel and the politician lady go.
I liked her, that was a lame end for her. Looks more like a salary dump than an organic story element.
Old 10-26-16, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
What I don't get is book readers kept talking about some big pay-off to the whole Angel & Gus storyline, but here Angel gets taken out without ever having had done much of anything since he was introduced. I'm obviously not a book reader of this series, but have they drastically altered the events of these two or am I just missing something?

As I said, there was an awesome payoff to Angel in the novels and comic. I was not a fan of how he went out on the show.
Old 10-26-16, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, you haven't missed anything. From what I have read, there are significant differences.