Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (S7E01) -- "The Day Will Come When You Won't Be" -- 10/23/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S7E01) -- "The Day Will Come When You Won't Be" -- 10/23/16

Old 10-25-16, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S7E01) -- "The Day Will Come When You Won't Be" -- 10/23/16

Remind me, what happened to Fr Gabriel? Morgan & Carol just went off on their own, correct?
Old 10-25-16, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S7E01) -- "The Day Will Come When You Won't Be" -- 10/23/16

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
My favorite part is always when they talk to the actors as they would if they were talking to the characters from the show. And better yet, when the actor accepts the comments/applause/etc as though they are the character in the show. I know this isn't a TWD thing it is a "con" thing, but since I don't participate in those it still cracks me up when I see it.
I forgive them this, but Hardwick often asks the actors questions about their characters that are really the province of the producers/writers.
Old 10-25-16, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Watched Sunday night's episode of The Walking Dead while making dinner last night (yes, a glutton for punishment). That was the single most manipulative, despairing and one-sided episodes I have ever seen. Having read many of the graphic novels, I was prepped for one of the "character departures", but thought beyond that, everything else was extremely gratuitous. I'll give it a couple more shows to turn around, but this may be the season I call it quits...
Old 10-25-16, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As expected, the reaction/discussion of this episode are highly entertaining.

Probably commented on in long-past threads, but Negan sure has a strong fashion sense.

Unless I missed it entirely, haven't seen any speculation about what would have happened if Rick had swung the the hatchet upward & buried it in Negan's throat while he was bending down beside Rick. How would Negan's crew react if their leader was taken out?

Also saw a couple of posts about the survivor's lack of physical reactions (gagging, etc.), but no discussion of whether some of them would have simply shut down in a catatonic haze or shock, attacked Negan the way Darryl did, or totally lost it & gone temporarily insane (or even committed suicide by Negan Numbskulls).

Not saying that would happen with a group as hardened as them. But the close personal attachments & love along with the fact that some haven't experienced quite as much horror as the original crew along with some not being exactly the strongest in terms of fortitude would make it seem more likely.

Speaking hypothetically, of course, because no way they producers are going to kill off more in one episode (even if it's just to keep more cannon fodder for the future).

Poor Glenn & Abraham. Aside from what happens in the comics, their merchandise sales must have been down.

Like a dog that returns to his vomit is a fool who repeats his folly. Proverbs 26:11
Old 10-25-16, 08:37 AM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts

The Walking Dead premiere beat the holy hell out of everything else on TV.

The ultra-violent seventh season opener of the AMC zombie drama Sunday night delivered 17 million viewers and an incredible 8.4 rating among adults 18-49.

That’s a bigger demo rating than NBC’s Sunday Night Football – let alone any other mortal series on the air. Over the last couple weeks, the closest scripted shows to being competitive was CBS’ The Big Bang Theory and Fox’s Empire with a comparatively puny 3.5 rating each.

But how did TWD compare to its own legacy of insanely high record-breaking ratings? Negan and Lucille swung for the fences and just barely fell short of the drama’s all-time high – the season 5 premiere – which still stands as the show’s biggest overnight rating with 17.3 million viewers and an 8.8 rating. AMC expects the ratings will a new record once more forms of viewing are added.
ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads

Interestingly, the rating was up 22 percent from the season 6 finale – you know, the one whose cliffhanger annoyed so many fans who swore they were going to quit watching the show? As annoying as that stunt may have been (and I was annoyed right there with you), it’s tough to argue it was a mistake when looking at these numbers.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/25...emiere-ratings
Old 10-25-16, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watched the show last night. I was a little surprised by the 2nd death. I don't know if this has been addressed in the thread or not yet, but it is entirely believable that a sociopath like Negan would have dedicated followers. Just look at almost all of the tyrannical leaders throughout all of human history. There are countless examples of super powerful dictators who have done some of the most horrific things imaginable. You even have a good example today in North Korea.
Old 10-25-16, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I forgive them this, but Hardwick often asks the actors questions about their characters that are really the province of the producers/writers.
Isn't it possible that the writers talk with the actors to give them greater insights, perspectives, and motivations that don't directly result in dialog/scenes?

Do the writers over time modify the scripts to reflect parts of the actor's personalities?

I've seen numerous occasions where actors in series have said that they "got to know" the character they play.

All that to say, I don't think it is as black and white as implied.
Old 10-25-16, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
As expected, the reaction/discussion of this episode are highly entertaining.

Probably commented on in long-past threads, but Negan sure has a strong fashion sense.

Unless I missed it entirely, haven't seen any speculation about what would have happened if Rick had swung the the hatchet upward & buried it in Negan's throat while he was bending down beside Rick. How would Negan's crew react if their leader was taken out?

Also saw a couple of posts about the survivor's lack of physical reactions (gagging, etc.), but no discussion of whether some of them would have simply shut down in a catatonic haze or shock, attacked Negan the way Darryl did, or totally lost it & gone temporarily insane (or even committed suicide by Negan Numbskulls).

Not saying that would happen with a group as hardened as them. But the close personal attachments & love along with the fact that some haven't experienced quite as much horror as the original crew along with some not being exactly the strongest in terms of fortitude would make it seem more likely.

Speaking hypothetically, of course, because no way they producers are going to kill off more in one episode (even if it's just to keep more cannon fodder for the future).

Poor Glenn & Abraham. Aside from what happens in the comics, their merchandise sales must have been down.

Like a dog that returns to his vomit is a fool who repeats his folly. Proverbs 26:11
Re-watched the deaths last night and I did notice that more. Everyone just had a constipated look on their face. No screaming, no 'Oh my God', no real physical reactions. Almost just bad acting.
Old 10-25-16, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is the one time I hope they don't go by what happens to Negan in the comics. That version is entertaining.
Old 10-25-16, 09:10 AM
Admin

Received 459 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
This is the one time I hope they don't go by what happens to Negan in the comics. That version is entertaining.
So you'd prefer to NOT be entertained?
Old 10-25-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess people were expecting more, but it seemed like those closest to the victims were very affected by what they saw. I guess it would have made sense for a couple of the group to yak, but I don't remember anybody just sitting there emotionless and not being affected by the brutality.

Speaking of the brutality, I thought it was executed very well. To really sell this story going forward you had to see what they saw, and as much as possible, feel what they felt. And kudos to the sfx crew.
Old 10-25-16, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
So you'd prefer to NOT be entertained?
What I meant was

Spoiler:
In the comics he doesn't die. He was imprisoned and escapes after 5 years. There was a time jump in the series after the war with Negan and his crew. So, he's still around and his dialogue is really funny; especially his interactions with Carl when he had him captive. This TV version needs to die. Totally different interpretation in the TV series.
Old 10-25-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Sorry dex, but it is brilliant in its execution, its writing, its acting, its direction. The sheer emotion it's caused and galvanizing thoughts that are going to reverberate for so long. It takes your breath away and makes your heart ache. It's brilliant.

You're taking a lot of crap in this thread, but I just want to state that I agree completely.

On another note, I'm laughing at everyone saying they're done with the show. This is where you draw the line? You're okay with all of the other violent material in the show, but NOW they've went overboard?
Old 10-25-16, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,261 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Random folks? There were even multiple lines from Negan about taking out #2's. Taking out the two he did seemed to be completely planned out despite the game he made it out to be to the group.

Making the leader submit is clearly better than killing them if you have to live with the group after the fact. And he just bat bashed the two most capable of taking over and captured the other.
You may be right but I didn't get the impression he based his decision on a plan. I think he based it on purely what happened after he saw them. Abraham stared him down - almost challenging him. Glen yelled at him to leave Maggie alone. I don't recall anyone else doing anything (I'll admit I haven't re-watched that episode.. so I'm recalling from a year go).

So, I'm not so sure it was so planned out in advance.. but who knows. I do agree his little game had nothing to do with it.
Old 10-25-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod
You may be right but I didn't get the impression he based his decision on a plan. I think he based it on purely what happened after he saw them. Abraham stared him down - almost challenging him. Glen yelled at him to leave Maggie alone. I don't recall anyone else doing anything (I'll admit I haven't re-watched that episode.. so I'm recalling from a year go).

So, I'm not so sure it was so planned out in advance.. but who knows. I do agree his little game had nothing to do with it.

Just curious , what do you believe the dialog about second in command/right hand men was all about then?

Since I haven't discussed it with the writers either, I could be wrong. But it seemed like the plan going in was to take out seconds (including taking Daryl hostage) and break Rick. Negan's seconds had plenty of knowledge before that day to clue him in on who to take out. And as you posted, Rick's seconds basically proved their status during the confrontation.

Seemed to me the whole time he was trolling for reactions to allow him to do what he was going to do anyway. Make the group think it was all random, but make it clear to Rick after the fact that his execution of his group was surgical and effective.
Old 10-25-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer
Isn't it possible that the writers talk with the actors to give them greater insights, perspectives, and motivations that don't directly result in dialog/scenes?

Do the writers over time modify the scripts to reflect parts of the actor's personalities?

I've seen numerous occasions where actors in series have said that they "got to know" the character they play.

All that to say, I don't think it is as black and white as implied.
No, it's not that black-and-white, but I think you can ask actors for insight into how they interpreted the role, how they believe the character feels or reacts (that's part of the process), but sometimes they're asked why they did one thing or the other, and that is something Creative decided. However, I suppose you can get around this by saying "Why do you think ______ did that action?", which is their internal justification for that action, if that's part of their method.
Old 10-25-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

What I meant was

Spoiler:
In the comics he doesn't die. He was imprisoned and escapes after 5 years. There was a time jump in the series after the war with Negan and his crew. So, he's still around and his dialogue is really funny; especially his interactions with Carl when he had him captive. This TV version needs to die. Totally different interpretation in the TV series.
I don't see much of a difference between the initial appearence of the comic version of Negan and this TV appearance of him, and I'm not sure I see much of a different interpretation. Regarding your comic spoiler -

Spoiler:
I like the flash forward and found the later version of Negan much more interesting then his initial arc, which i hated and thought was terrible. The TV series is already handling it better to me, but that might be to the lack of ridiculous Solid Snake style cussing like a high school teenager.
Old 10-25-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Just curious , what do you believe the dialog about second in command/right hand men was all about then?
Oh I thought he was just being an asshole which is basically Negan's most outstanding quality. I always thought Daryl was more of a right hand man to Rick than the rest.. but I think an argument for Glen could be made.

My thoughts on this channel Michael Cudlitz who thought it played out this way as well. But really that's what this show is about - trying to get into the heads of people who are so beyond screwed up that we are left guessing.
Old 10-25-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by argh923
You're taking a lot of crap in this thread, but I just want to state that I agree completely.

On another note, I'm laughing at everyone saying they're done with the show. This is where you draw the line? You're okay with all of the other violent material in the show, but NOW they've went overboard?
I didn't realize that there was a universal standard for where the line is.
Old 10-25-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod
Oh I thought he was just being an asshole which is basically Negan's most outstanding quality. I always thought Daryl was more of a right hand man to Rick than the rest.. but I think an argument for Glen could be made.
Personally I think all three (Abraham, Glenn, and Daryl) played distinct roles when it came to supporting Rick as a leader. Which is why they were taken out.
Old 10-25-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by argh923

I'm more at the point where The Walking Dead will be a DVR show for me rather then appointment TV on Sunday nights. The only shows I still watch live are Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead simply because I am on social media alot and there is no way to avoid a major death the next day.

My feeling is the show is in it's 7th season and its started to get tired for me like most great shows going on that long. I think it hit me halfway through the episode when Negan was breaking Rick, and it's the cycle of this show. Rick is the leader, Rick gets bitched slapped by the Governor, Rick gets revenge, Rick gets captured at Terminus, Rick gets revenge, etc.

I'm still in on the show, but I'm at the point where I don't care anymore if I hear who dies and that's why it's has become a DVR show. This episode just didn't have the same emotional impact that it did for others, and it was a red flag for me that the show is started to get tired.
Old 10-25-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mnementh
On the other hand, having Maggie require medical care made the road trip make more sense.
This was my biggest (and really, my only) issue with last year's finale/this year's premiere. Requiring medical care - she was practically dying during the finale last year. Now? Seems fine other than a limp. Come on.
Old 10-25-16, 11:13 AM
Admin

Received 459 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
No, it's not that black-and-white, but I think you can ask actors for insight into how they interpreted the role, how they believe the character feels or reacts (that's part of the process), but sometimes they're asked why they did one thing or the other, and that is something Creative decided. However, I suppose you can get around this by saying "Why do you think ______ did that action?", which is their internal justification for that action, if that's part of their method.
Some actors are better than others at breaking down their characters. At one point in Talking Dead, Lauren Cohan was asked a question about Maggie and she basically vapor locked. Could be the live stage setting. I wonder which actors need more direction than others? I thought Lauren Cohan actually did one of the best jobs (emotionally) with her character in the aftermath of Neagan's group leaving. I get the whole deathbed, then just rub some dirt on it and limp away, but that could be the direction in that case and not the actress.
Old 10-25-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
The show needs medical people on the staff... to tell the writers what a person is capable and incapable of after a severe blow to the head with a baseball bat wrapped in barbed-wire.
Clearly that is the big fuck up with regards to the medical stuff on a show where the dead can walk, Doctor.
Old 10-25-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Personally I think all three (Abraham, Glenn, and Daryl) played distinct roles when it came to supporting Rick as a leader. Which is why they were taken out.
Well they all contribute which is what makes them a successful team.

It will be interesting to see who fills the void now. Obviously the ladies are going to step up (Maggie, Michonne) but I think we'll see Carl and hell maybe even Eugene take on more responsibility and decision making.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.