TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Frequency (S1E03) -- "The Near Far Problem" -- 10/19/16

Old 10-19-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Frequency (S1E03) -- "The Near Far Problem" -- 10/19/16

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 19

FREQUENCY

"The Near Far Problem" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DLV) (HDTV)

RAIMY UNCOVERS EVIDENCE IN THE THOMAS GOFF CASE - When Raimy (Peyton List) uncovers evidence in the Thomas Goff (guest star Michael Charles Roman "Grace and Frankie") case, she relays this information to Frank (Riley Smith) over the ham radio, which prompts him to take matters into his own hands while ignoring a strong warning from Satch (Mekhi Phifer). Meanwhile, Gordo (Lenny Jacobson) talks Raimy into going out for a drink where she has an interesting encounter with Daniel (Daniel Bonjour), who still considers her a complete stranger and possible stalker. Lastly, Raimy struggles to adapt to life without Julie (Devin Kelley), and Frank tries to adapt to life with her. Anthony Ruivivar also stars. Nina Lopez-Corrado directed the episode written by Nancy Won (#103). Original airdate 10/19/2016.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-20-16 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-20-16, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Frequency (S1E03) -- "The Near Far Problem" -- 10/19/16

Good episode but....

Spoiler:
I don't get why Raimy has wounds from a fight that never actually happened
Old 10-20-16, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
Good episode but....

Spoiler:
I don't get why Raimy has wounds from a fight that never actually happened
I totally agree with your spoiler. I called it as soon as it happened, thinking wth. Dead men dont fight.
Old 10-20-16, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Another decent episode, though I think the time changes are always going to be an issue for Frequency. It will be interesting if her decisions eventually affect history on a larger scale. Like she wakes up one day to find a different President or something.
Old 10-20-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Regarding Raimy's injuries:

She mentioned in either episode 1 or 2 that even when history was changing, she was retaining the new and old memories. They didn't clearly spell it out, but my guess is that Raimy would still retain injuries even if the events changed.

Not really surprised that Goff was just a Red Herring in her Mom's case.
Old 10-20-16, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think what we're supposed to go along with is that the two timelines are kinda occurring simultaneously, with changes in the 90's timeline manifesting spontaneously in the current timeline. No, it doesn't make sense, but that's how we're meant to see it. I think the first episode did something where the dad carves or burns something and the daughter can see it manifesting into her timeline. The movie used the same concept.
Old 10-20-16, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
I think what we're supposed to go along with is that the two timelines are kinda occurring simultaneously, with changes in the 90's timeline manifesting spontaneously in the current timeline. No, it doesn't make sense, but that's how we're meant to see it. I think the first episode did something where the dad carves or burns something and the daughter can see it manifesting into her timeline. The movie used the same concept.
Exactly. If you go by that logic there wouldn't have been a fight or at least physical signs of it would have disappeared including her injuries since her prisoner died in the past. I don't mind she remembers both alternate realities. It continues the pattern already set from the pilot episode and the movie.

Last edited by mrhan; 10-20-16 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-21-16, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remembering events and having direct causes are two different things. She should have been standing there over where his body was but when they cut to her face, it should have been healed. She could remember that she was fighting him but all effects should have disappeared. Otherwise, he could have killed her in her timeline but been killed 25 years earlier. What would happen then? Is she still dead? If he had kids in her time, would they still be in her time because she remembers that he had them even if he was killed 25 years before they were born?

Just my opinion.
Old 10-22-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm really really enjoying this show. The characters feel grounded in the world and it's only a handful of episodes in.

Seems likely they are slowly realizing they need to combine their skills to solve the bigger problem.

Although if Raimy is a detective shouldn't she have a partner that would stop her from running off and doing stupid things like going at Goff alone?

My biggest question - not just who the killer is, but what was so significant about Frank dying originally that caused the killer to stop.
Old 10-22-16, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone else getting a weird vibe from Raimy's male friend? He's been portrayed as her best friend since childhood, but the casting paints a much different vibe. I guess the show might have been afraid fans would start rooting for her friend to date Raimy if he was a more traditional male lead like her boyfriend.
Old 10-22-16, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MScottM View Post
Remembering events and having direct causes are two different things. She should have been standing there over where his body was but when they cut to her face, it should have been healed. She could remember that she was fighting him but all effects should have disappeared. Otherwise, he could have killed her in her timeline but been killed 25 years earlier. What would happen then? Is she still dead? If he had kids in her time, would they still be in her time because she remembers that he had them even if he was killed 25 years before they were born?

Just my opinion.
I thought the same thing.

This nor the movie really say how she is able to view both the timelines while still within that timeline. Normally they only do this if and when someone has traveled in time. Magic radio allows it!
Old 10-23-16, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Anyone else getting a weird vibe from Raimy's male friend? He's been portrayed as her best friend since childhood, but the casting paints a much different vibe. I guess the show might have been afraid fans would start rooting for her friend to date Raimy if he was a more traditional male lead like her boyfriend.
Yes. I'd say he's the killer in an odd vibe, but not possible since he was a kid. I could see some weird best friend becomes unrequited love interest, but I believe he's married with a kid. Plus this show doesn't seem to be toned for injecting cliche drama.

I do find it odd - now all of a sudden (?) the presumptive killer is stalking Ramiy's mom outside the house. Didn't seem to be the case before. When there was the pilot flashback, the change seemed to be she got on the elevator instead of her coworker.
Old 10-23-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I do find it odd - now all of a sudden (?) the presumptive killer is stalking Ramiy's mom outside the house. Didn't seem to be the case before. When there was the pilot flashback, the change seemed to be she got on the elevator instead of her coworker.
Parallel timelines. The stalking happened after the changed elevator scene. She is being stalked instead of her coworker.
Old 10-23-16, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
Parallel timelines. The stalking happened after the changed elevator scene. She is being stalked instead of her coworker.
Oh. I assumed that elevator scene was the night she went missing. Not when she was leaving the hospital visiting Frank!