Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Chance (Hulu) -- S: Hugh Laurie, Gretchen Mol -- Series Thread -- Premieres 10/19/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chance (Hulu) -- S: Hugh Laurie, Gretchen Mol -- Series Thread -- Premieres 10/19/16

Old 10-17-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

chance_xxlg_FULL
upload image online

Based on the acclaimed novel by Kem Nunn, "Chance" is a provocative, psychological thriller that focuses on Dr. Eldon Chance (Laurie), a San Francisco-based forensic neuropsychiatrist who reluctantly gets sucked into a violent and dangerous world of mistaken identity, police corruption and mental illness. After an ill-advised decision regarding an alluring patient who may or may not be struggling with a multiple personality disorder, Dr. Chance finds himself in the crosshairs of her abusive spouse, who also happens to be a ruthless police detective. In over his head, Dr. Chance's descent into the city's wayward underbelly, all while navigating the waters of a contentious divorce and tribulations of his teenage daughter, soon spirals into an ever deepening exploration of one of mankind's final frontiers- the shadowy, undiscovered country of the human mind.
PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
Ethan Suplee as D
Gretchen Mol as Jaclyn Blackstone
Hugh Laurie as Eldon Chance
Lisa Gay Hamilton as Suzanne Silver
Paul Adelstein as Raymond Blackstone
Stefania LaVie Owen as Nicole Chance
10 episode 1st season.

Already renewed for a 2nd season.

Trailer:

Premieres this Wednesday. Looks like this will be posted weekly and not be a binge watch show.

Thought I would bring this up now since probably most here aren't aware of this show and that it stars Laurie. It's his 1st lead role on a show since House.
Old 10-17-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Chance (Hulu) -- S: Hugh Laurie, Gretchen Mol -- Series Thread -- Premieres 10/19

I like Suplee, Mol and Laurie and have Hulu so I'll give this a shot.
Old 10-19-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Chance (Hulu) -- S: Hugh Laurie, Gretchen Mol -- Series Thread -- Premieres 10/19

2 episodes were posted today.

Show will be posted 1 per week starting next week.

I watched episode 1 late last night/early this morning. Kind of slow to be perfectly honest. Was falling asleep last night, so I finished it today. Not familiar with the Eldon Chance novels, so I have no comparison factor to comment on. With so much content on, I think this lacked the "hook factor" to get someone to want to watch more. But, I'll try to give this a shot mainly for Laurie, but it's going to be hard keeping up with it. From what I can tell, Dr. Chance is infatuated with Mol's character who is being abused by her husband and has a split personality. I guess that's the main plot point aside from all the mentally ill people he's dealing with. Chance is definitely not House, so don't expect the snarkiness or sarcasm.

It's rated TV-MA and there were a few F bombs dropped. Even though this is a Hulu show, I noticed there were act breaks/fade to blacks, so I'm guessing this show was designed to add commercials for international audiences.
Old 10-20-16, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking forward to this ... Cubs playoff baseball has put me behind on some shows
Old 11-14-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

We binged the eps Hulu has up so far over the weekend. My wife was hooked. I thought it was pretty good. A little slow in some points but it has a "Film Noir" vibe so it didn't bother me. We'll be watching this moving forward.
Old 11-14-16, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, this surprised us as well. This is the closest thing to Breaking Bad on TV in terms of story and quality.
Old 10-09-17, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just finished binging this -- I can somewhat see where Netflix's Gypsie tried to go with their own version of a therapist getting way over their head and all.

The cast was great and funking Ethan Suplee killed it! It's a shame that so few have commented on it. Glad it got renewed for second season that actually premieres on the 11th. I'm in for that!
Old 10-12-17, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Season 2 premiered yesterday. The first 3 episodes are live. I'd like to know what the schedule airdates are for the rest of the episodes but can't find that info.
Old 10-12-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks to be weekly again:
http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/chance/listings/

I enjoyed the 1st season, but I was able to watch them all at once, so I might wait for a few more at least before I start.
Old 11-02-17, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been watching the second season so far, made it through the first three episodes. I think they have done 6 or 7 of the episodes so far of this season. Still a fantastic show, and I don't know why more people aren't talking about it. Ethan Suplee deserve some kinda award for his acting because he owns every scene he is in. I'll try to get up to date by the end of the weekend.