TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fresh Off The Boat (ABC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Premieres 10/11/16

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-16, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Fresh Off The Boat (ABC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Premieres 10/11/16

SEASON PREMIERE

THE HUANGS TRAVEL TO TAIWAN TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT WITH GENE, ON THE SEASON PREMIERE OF ABC'S 'FRESH OFF THE BOAT'

Ken Jeong Returns as Louis' Brother Gene

New Time Period, Tuesdays at 9:00 p.m. ET

"Coming From America" - Louis flies the entire family to Taiwan in an effort to make things right with Gene (Ken Jeong). Upon meeting Gene's beautiful fiancé, Margaret, and seeing the wonderful life he has built for himself, Louis questions whether his life in Orlando is just as great as it could be in Taiwan. Meanwhile, Jessica takes Eddie, Emery and Evan to her favorite childhood locales, including Dihua Street and Shilin Night Market, on the season three premiere of ABC's "Fresh Off the Boat," airing on TUESDAY, OCTOBER 11 (9:00-9:30 p.m. EDT).

Inspired by a true story, "Fresh Off the Boat" stars Randall Park as Louis, Constance Wu as Jessica, Hudson Yang as Eddie, Forrest Wheeler as Emery, Ian Chen as Evan, Lucille Soong as Grandma Huang and Chelsey Crisp as Honey.

Guest starring are Ken Jeong ("Dr. Ken.") as Gene, Wei-Ning Hsu as Margaret, Isabella Crouch as Alison, Wai Ching Ho as Big Auntie, Ben Lin as Big Uncle Otis, Elaine Kao as Little Auntie, Jason Chin as Little Uncle, Jackson Geach as Wei/Hennessy, Andy Lai as Cameraman and Mason Lee as Director.

"Coming From America" was written and directed by Nahnatchka Khan.

"Fresh Off the Boat" was written by Nahnatchka Khan, who also serves as executive producer. Jake Kasdan and Melvin Mar are also executive producers. The series is produced by 20th Century Fox Television.

The premiere was shot entirely on location in Taipei, Taiwan.
Old 10-11-16, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Fresh Off The Boat (ABC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Premieres 10/11/16

Can't wait.
Old 10-12-16, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk God

That was great.

Eddie getting the junk bootleg Jordans from the night market that fell apart.

Emery being ravaged by mosquitoe bites and freaking out that girl.

and loved the last part with Eddie's girlfriend showing the headline that Shaq signed with the Lakers. Unlike The Goldbergs, they're pretty good at keeping this timely with the late 90's.

Glad they shot most of it in Taiwan. I like it really added to the episode that faking it on some sound stage.
Old 10-19-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Man, the search engine in this forum is horrible. I couldn't find this thread. I had to dig back 3 pages. I guess that's why no one commented/knew this thread existed.

at Evan scolding Eddie for ruining Emery's middle school experience.

I could relate to Jessica being uptight about the housekeeper & cleaning the house. My Mom was the same way, she likes to handle everything herself and doesn't trust others.

at Evan setting up the candle light vigil in the bus for Emery and freaking out that girl.
Old 10-20-16, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I started watching this series with the premiere and I love it. Now I have to watch the previous episode and play catch-up.
Old 10-29-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Eddie and his friends imagining themselves as adults was awesome.

Also, every once in awhile this show touches on some excellent cultural points and I think young Eddie and his talk with Emery about breaking down walls versus the way people stereotypically see asian kids was actually really really good. Eddie actually makes a really good point about not being the asian kid taking karate, being good at school, playing violin, etc and the show did a great job countering that with Emery being who he is. I completely forgot about Eddie's first experience eating lunch and getting made fun of.
Old 11-02-16, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

We must have an animated GIF of Jessica's "Celebration Dance"
Old 11-02-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Eddie and his friends imagining themselves as adults was awesome.

Also, every once in awhile this show touches on some excellent cultural points and I think young Eddie and his talk with Emery about breaking down walls versus the way people stereotypically see asian kids was actually really really good. Eddie actually makes a really good point about not being the asian kid taking karate, being good at school, playing violin, etc and the show did a great job countering that with Emery being who he is. I completely forgot about Eddie's first experience eating lunch and getting made fun of.
Eh, I wasn't a big fan of his speech, mainly because Emery was right in that Eddie was doing it to take advantage of people, not trying to defy stereotypes. I understand that Eddie didn't want to be stereotyped because he's none of those things, but to push that on his little brother, and then try to force him to keep up the lie so that he can get more tater tots? Emery shouldn't take karate or violin because it would play into stereotypes? The way to combat stereotypes is to make up new cultural rituals that would give you an advantage?

Of course, Eddie is still my least favorite character, though he has improved a lot since season one. Louis was also grating on my nerves in the first episode, but back in his home lemme tell he's gold.
Old 12-04-16, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk God

This show hardly gets any talk now in season 3.

But, the latest episode from this past Tuesday was quite good. It had humor and heart.

I really enjoyed the scenes with Jessica and Evan when they went to Costco every Sunday and bonded until he decided to start going to Church. Really felt the bond between mother-son and how it impacted her when he wasn't there.

loved the scene with Louis getting the free dental exam and the absurdly white teeth.
Old 12-04-16, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's hilarious last every week. Consistently the funniest sitcom on ABC for my money.
Old 12-05-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

the background was a modern Costco. What year is it suppose to be on the show? I'm assuming it's 1996. If it was it should have been Price-Costco.
Old 12-05-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
the background was a modern Costco. What year is it suppose to be on the show? I'm assuming it's 1996. If it was it should have been Price-Costco.
Price Club!
Old 12-05-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Loved Jessica's line about Chuch and how they're only kind of Buddhist that follow superstitions or something along those lines, since it basically matches my childhood. I need to find that full quote.

Originally Posted by fujishig
Eh, I wasn't a big fan of his speech, mainly because Emery was right in that Eddie was doing it to take advantage of people, not trying to defy stereotypes. I understand that Eddie didn't want to be stereotyped because he's none of those things, but to push that on his little brother, and then try to force him to keep up the lie so that he can get more tater tots? Emery shouldn't take karate or violin because it would play into stereotypes? The way to combat stereotypes is to make up new cultural rituals that would give you an advantage?

Of course, Eddie is still my least favorite character, though he has improved a lot since season one. Louis was also grating on my nerves in the first episode, but back in his home lemme tell he's gold.
Missed this earlier, but given that Emery wins out and Eddie finally understands his perspective, I thought that was the point of what we see. I think Eddie made great points, but under the worst circumstances and obviously for his own gain and that Emery should do what he enjoys, regardless of stereotypes. As an asian kid growing up here, I could relate to not wanting to be a stereotype.
Old 12-09-16, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Really not feeling this season at all. I thought the opening episode wasted a trip abroad with little payoff. Had problems with the whole stereotype discussion and then watched the awful, preachy illegal/undocumented immigrant episode just now. I know I'm still a few episodes behind but ugh.

Also I'm very confused. If she's a green card holder, she can't register to vote anyway, can she, at least not for a federal election. And wouldn't that come up when she went abroad in the first episode of the season? I'm not familiar with immigration law back then but Hector's going to pay his back taxes, go to Mexico, reapply and instantly get back in? Huh?
Old 12-10-16, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

I disagree. Still one of the funniest shows on television. That "Two Princes" radio request at the end of last episode was hilarious.
Old 12-14-16, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Really funny episode tonight. I can't remember laughing at a sitcom the way I did when Jessica showed up to that Christmas party. The face of that kid, even though you knew what was coming, was among the funniest things this show has ever done. Then the glare Eddie gives Emory after opening his Kwanzaa/Christmas gift. Just as funny.
Old 12-14-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fall finale was hysterical. "You don't dream in Mandarin!". Mwahahah. And whoever Honey's costume designer is.... +1 for him / her.
Old 01-23-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

A few episodes have already aired in the new year.

Last episode that aired was pretty funny with Evan getting the horrible haircuts. at the Grace Slick haircut.

I also liked the episode before that with Emery and Eddie trying to monetize baggy jeans and using their grandma to make them.
Old 01-23-17, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just saw the chinese new year episode, and thought it was weird that the "cousin" or whatever that was nearby was obviously mixed and barely looked asian.
Old 01-24-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Slightly off topic...but my friend just finished writing the final draft for the comic book last week. He hopes that the artwork will be ready for print before Free Comic Book Day. He said it will be one of the storylines used in a future episode.

Last edited by mrhan; 01-24-17 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-24-17, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I just saw the chinese new year episode, and thought it was weird that the "cousin" or whatever that was nearby was obviously mixed and barely looked asian.
The guy looked more than mixed... he almost looked mentally challenged. Also, having the grandmother speak her native language in front of him yet he didn't react or seem to understand her was odd.
Old 01-24-17, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This season has been on my backlog. I liked the Costco episode and the Christmas episode with Jessica's creepy Santa. I need to get caught up on the episodes that have aired this month.
Old 01-24-17, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this is the only version I've found online of Jessica's "celebration dance"

https://vine.co/v/5DMh3ZAE6iq
Old 02-21-17, 08:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Holy god, I don't watch this show at all, but left it on on the background...did you see Heather Locklear on 2/21/17 episode?? Oh my did she become unattractive.
Old 02-22-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought she looked fine, considering that Melrose Place was 25 years ago, and even on that show she was the "cougar" compared to the rest of the cast. But once again it was Constance Wu that brought the funny with her deadpan delivery. "I have a question. What is the appeal of Marvin? Can someone tell me what I'm not seeing?"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.