Brooklyn Nine-Nine/New Girl -- 1 Hour Crossover Event -- 10/11/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-11-16, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Brooklyn Nine-Nine description:

**SPECIAL CROSSOVER EPISODE**----"BROOKLYN NINE-NINE" - (8:00-8:31 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

JAKE MEETS JESS ON PART ONE OF A SPECIAL, ALL-NEW "BROOKLYN NINE-NINE/NEW GIRL" CROSSOVER EVENT TUESDAY, OCTOBER 11, ON FOX

Zooey Deschanel of NEW GIRL Guest-Stars

Don't Miss Part Two of the Special Crossover Event, on NEW GIRL, Tonight at 8:31 PM on FOX!

As Jake struggles with his first case back at the precinct, he encounters Jess Day (NEW GIRL guest star Zooey Deschanel), who is visiting New York, and enlists her to help him find his suspect. Meanwhile, Holt researches ways to increase office morale and Amy tries to figure out why Rosa keeps taking such long breaks in the all-new, special "The Night Shift" crossover episode of BROOKLYN NINE-NINE airing Tuesday, Oct. 11 (8:00-8:31 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (BRK-404) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Cast: Andy Samberg as Det. Jake Peralta; Andre Braugher as Capt. Ray Holt; Terry Crews as Sgt. Terry Jeffords; Melissa Fumero as Det. Amy Santiago; Joe Lo Truglio as Det. Charles Boyle; Stephanie Beatriz as Det. Rosa Diaz; Chelsea Peretti as Gina Linetti; Dirk Blocker as Det. Hitchcock; Joel McKinnon Miller as Det. Scully

Guest Cast: Zooey Deschanel as Jess, Matt Walsh as Detective Lohank, Antonio Raul Corbo as Nikolaj, Juan Alfonso as Mel Szeriank, Neil Campbell as Ian Britches, Minerva Garcia as Jennifer, Norma Michaels as Mildred Lench, Adwin Brown as Dylan

**SPECIAL CROSSOVER EPISODE**--"NEW GIRL" - (8:31-9:01 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

JESS TAKES MANHATTAN ON PART TWO OF A SPECIAL, ALL-NEW "BROOKLYN NINE-NINE/NEW GIRL" CROSSOVER EVENT TUESDAY, OCTOBER 11, ON FOX

Andy Samberg, Andre Braugher, Joe LoTruglio and Chelsea Peretti of BROOKLYN NINE-NINE Guest-Star

Jess and the gang head to New York, where Schmidt believes he is being honored at his high school. Jess meets Det. Jake Peralta (guest star Andy Samberg) and helps him on a case, which leads her to Brooklyn's 99th Precinct and a fateful encounter with Gina Linetti (guest star Chelsea Peretti) and Capt. Raymond Holt (guest star Andre Braugher). Meanwhile, Nick and Winston scramble to make subway fare, while trying to impress Det. Charles Boyle (guest star Joe Lo Truglio), and Cece faces off with her new mother-in-law (guest star Nora Dunn) in the all-new special "Homecoming" crossover episode of NEW GIRL airing Tuesday, Oct. 11 (8:31-9:01 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (NG-604) (TV-14 D, L)

Cast: Zooey Deschanel as Jess; Jake Johnson as Nick; Max Greenfield as Schmidt; Lamorne Morris as Winston; Hannah Simone as Cece

Guest Cast: Andy Samberg as Det. Jake Peralta; Andre Braugher as Capt. Ray Holt; Joe Lo Truglio as Det. Charles Boyle; Chelsea Peretti as Gina Linetti; Nora Dunn as Louise

And the complaints about this crossover...

"I watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but have never seen or don't like New Girl"

or

"I watch New Girl, but have never seen one episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine"

begins in 3, 2, 1....
Old 10-11-16, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Brooklyn Nine-Nine/New Girl -- 1 Hour Crossover Event -- 10/11/16

Here's the first complaint...

I watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and I used to watch New Girl (season 3 killed my enthusiasm to continue), and I think this is a stupid idea.
Old 10-11-16, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is a really a two-part story, meaning I have to watch both of them? I only watch Brooklyn (not complaining, just wondering)
Old 10-11-16, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman View Post
Is a really a two-part story, meaning I have to watch both of them? I only watch Brooklyn (not complaining, just wondering)
Yes it's a 2 part story.
Old 10-11-16, 02:34 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't watch New Girl, but I'm totally okay with this and I'm actually kind of excited!
Old 10-11-16, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep I'm one of the people complaining about the crossover II don't watch The New Girl). I guess I hope the two shows feel like they exist in the same universe. Sometimes it works (Law & Order and Homicide) and sometimes it doesn't (Sleepy Hollow and Bones).
Old 10-11-16, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
Here's the first complaint...

I watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and I used to watch New Girl (season 3 killed my enthusiasm to continue), and I think this is a stupid idea.
I'm in this boat, but looking forward to it instead of thinking its dumb. Both shows are goofy enough to fit together.
Old 10-11-16, 08:38 PM

I watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but have never seen New Girl!!!!

haha, whatever, I'll record New Girl too
Old 10-11-16, 09:05 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ the end credits scene
Old 10-11-16, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
@ the end credits scene
What they should've done after that scene was have Jake bump into his old corrupt partner - also played by Wayans.
Old 10-12-16, 07:54 AM

This wasn't a two-part story, it was an episode of Brooklyn with a character from New Girl, and a New Girl episode with a few characters from Brooklyn. And Zooey was not much more than a cameo on Brooklyn, although New Girl did have a few scenes with different Brooklyn characters. You definitely didn't HAVE to watch both, no matter which show you normally watch.
Old 10-12-16, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

This wasn't a two-part story, it was an episode of Brooklyn with a character from New Girl, and a New Girl episode with a few characters from Brooklyn. And Zooey was not much more than a cameo on Brooklyn, although New Girl did have a few scenes with different Brooklyn characters. You definitely didn't HAVE to watch both, no matter which show you normally watch.
This is what I'd expect, since the shows can't expect their episodes to be shown together in repeats, syndication, streaming, and DVD set, so each show's episode has to stand on its own.

I think most show crossovers are like this, especially if they're not spinoff shows. Even most of the Buffy/Angel crossover episodes could be watched on their own, with the only real sticking point being the Faith character who's character arc goes from Buffy to Angel and then goes back to Buffy.
Old 10-12-16, 08:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This did not work for me...both shows felt a bit off. The Nine-Nine night shift episode was fine (not great, just okay at best), but the attempt to mix things up by crossing over with New Girl fell flat. I will be happy when the characters in each show are back to residing in their own tv universe.
Old 10-13-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know because there was no way I was going to watch "New Girl".
Old 10-13-16, 01:50 PM

I watch and like both shows, but this was just ok. I did laugh at Scmidt's comeuppance line and Nick's reaction to it.
Old 10-14-16, 03:50 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
This did not work for me...both shows felt a bit off. The Nine-Nine night shift episode was fine (not great, just okay at best), but the attempt to mix things up by crossing over with New Girl fell flat. I will be happy when the characters in each show are back to residing in their own tv universe.
Yeah, I found it pretty clunky. The New Girl episode especially felt a bit clunky, almost as if they had this New York episode already written and were told to shoehorn in the Brooklyn Nine-Nine characters.