DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Arrow (S5E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Legacy" -- 10/5/16

Arrow
click image upload

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 5

SEASON PREMIERE

ARROW

"Legacy" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

NEW BEGINNINGS - After Laurel's (Katie Cassidy) death and the departures of both Diggle (David Ramsey) and Thea (Willa Holland) from Team Arrow, Oliver (Stephen Amell) takes to the streets solo to protect Star City's citizens as the Green Arrow. With Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) guiding him from the bunker, Oliver is forced to deal with a city that has become overrun with both criminals and a slew of new (and painfully inexperienced) vigilantes. Watching Oliver try to balance his jobs as both the mayor and also the protector of Star City, Felicity suggests he form a new team, but Oliver resists. However, when a deadly new criminal, Tobias Church (guest star Chad L. Coleman), enters the picture, Oliver realizes the best thing for the city might be a new team of superheroes. Meanwhile, the flashbacks take us to Russia where Oliver faces off against the Bratva. James Bamford directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti and teleplay by Marc Guggenheim & Wendy Mericle (#501). Original airdate 10/5/2016.

23 episode 5th season
Old 10-05-16, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Arrow (S5E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Legacy" -- 10/5/16

Hopefully Chad has a better character than what he had with The Walking Dead as Tyreese. I forgot the reason why Diggle and Thea left. And I guess no Flashpoint happens...yet?
Old 10-05-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ended up skipping the final 8 episodes of last season because it got so bad. I'll be back tonight, hopefully its back to form. Did they actually kill anybody off besides the big bad last year? One of my main gripes is that the cast became overly bloated (everybody is a superhero somehow?)?
Old 10-05-16, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
I ended up skipping the final 8 episodes of last season because it got so bad. I'll be back tonight, hopefully its back to form. Did they actually kill anybody off besides the big bad last year? One of my main gripes is that the cast became overly bloated (everybody is a superhero somehow?)?
Laurel
Old 10-05-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well thank goodness for that
Old 10-05-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, but they killed Laurel off right when she was finally starting to work as a character. In contrast they spent a lot of last year just about ruining any fondness that I had left for Felicity.
Old 10-05-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Regarding Katie Cassidy's status:

Spoiler:

http://tvline.com/2016/07/23/arrow-k...s-of-tomorrow/

Katie Cassidy did sign a new contract to be a series regular on all the CW DC shows. So even though Laurel is dead, she will probably make appearances in flashbacks and playing different characters. Black Siren again?

Last edited by DJariya; 10-05-16 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Regarding Katie Cassidy's status:

Spoiler:

http://tvline.com/2016/07/23/arrow-k...s-of-tomorrow/

Katie Cassidy did sign a new contract to be a series regular on all the CW DC shows. So even though Laurel is dead, she will probably make appearances in flashbacks and playing different characters. Black Siren again?

Flashpoint?
Old 10-05-16, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
Yeah, but they killed Laurel off right when she was finally starting to work as a character. In contrast they spent a lot of last year just about ruining any fondness that I had left for Felicity.
No kidding. I don't know how on earth they messed up Felicity. Partially the problem, I think, is that Felicity works great as a quirky, funny character. Making her shed tears like Laurel rarely works for me. And what really doesn't work is when she's "mad." Maybe the actress doesn't have as broad of acting appeal as I originally thought, but regardless they really should be playing to her strengths rather than her weaknesses (like they do with Cisco on The Flash).
Old 10-05-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Flashpoint?
We'll find out tonight, but I really don't think Arrow's timeline is the same one Barry's in on The Flash.
Old 10-06-16, 01:46 AM

So... Oliver is killing baddies ala S1 again...
Old 10-06-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This definitely felt like retread. Not sure how wise a decision it was to pick this one back up. Sticking with it for now though.
Old 10-06-16, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ollie went John Wick on those guys. I'm ok with it. Bullets or boxing gloves.
Old 10-06-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It was a return to season one when Green Arrow shot first and asked questions later. The opening stunt fight was impressive.

Green Arrow probably works better on his own in stretches, so I am fully on board with this direction. Though once again the flashbacks look like meaningless filler as we finally see Oliver join the Russian mob.

The only goofy thing was the Black Canary statue, which looked like it was made with $10 of paint and plywood.

Felicity is fine for delivering quips and the occasional romantic angle. What they started doing last season was writing her as if the show was titled Felicity.
Old 10-06-16, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Now that felt like a season 1 episode of Arrow. Oliver was back to shoot/break necks 1st, ask questions later. Hopefully he stays on this path for awhile and not revert back to the self righteous thing.

Now, I'm curious about Oliver's promise that he made to Laurel. Who will the new Black Canary be? It's obviously not Sara since she's time traveling on Legends.

and yeah that was an awful looking Black Canary statue. Looked like the set designer made with the cheapest materials possible.

And wow, I'm shocked that none of you caught the little dig at The Walking Dead with Chad Coleman (former Walking Dead actor) doing the duck, duck goose thing with the bat and people tied up.

and Felicity wasn't whiney and annoying. I liked that she was back to sort of being the early version of herself.
Old 10-06-16, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I saw that Laurel statue this was the first thing I thought of.

Oh, PARACHUTE ARROW!!!!
Old 10-07-16, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
It was a return to season one when Green Arrow shot first and asked questions later. The opening stunt fight was impressive.

Green Arrow probably works better on his own in stretches, so I am fully on board with this direction. Though once again the flashbacks look like meaningless filler as we finally see Oliver join the Russian mob.

The only goofy thing was the Black Canary statue, which looked like it was made with $10 of paint and plywood.

Felicity is fine for delivering quips and the occasional romantic angle. What they started doing last season was writing her as if the show was titled Felicity.
I agree with the statue sentiment going 'round here, but my vote would be for the exploding warehouse escape. He jumps out the window at the exact time Coleman's copter was flying by and latches on with one of his quick action arrow shots. Definitely an eye roller for me.

Hopefully they can regain some of that season 1 magic, but like mentioned above it all seems like a retread of every other episode. One thing they need to do is get rid of the Felicity/Ollie relationship crap. To me it all feels forced as she has been with how many different guys now, what four? And none of them felt like they had real chemistry to me other than her and Routh's character.
Old 10-07-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Laurel character never worked. Especially when they turned her into a Canary. The show is much better without her. Maybe it could work with her as only a guest here and there (like the flashback in this past episode), but probably not. Having Thea back in the background was a good move as well.

Who I will really miss as a major character is Diggle.
Old 10-08-16, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Hopefully Chad has a better character than what he had with The Walking Dead as Tyreese.
I for one kinda cheered inside knowing he was not playing a little pussy.
Old 10-09-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are they going to add Vigilante to the show? Or was that just a teaser when they showed his pic.
Old 10-09-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe he shows up at some point. They wouldn't tease him like that on Arrow without some payoff.
Old 10-09-16, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I believe he shows up at some point. They wouldn't tease him like that on Arrow without some payoff.
Yeah, he will most likely appear as a lawyer before becoming Vigilante.
Old 06-15-17, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post

When I saw that Laurel statue this was the first thing I thought of.

Oh, PARACHUTE ARROW!!!!
I'm 9 months behind and finally am watching flash, arrow, legends, and supergirl from this season
normally I wouldn't bump this thread but this post made me. I was thinking the exact same thing, especially as I saw that "Lucy" statue in person a couple years ago
Old 06-15-17, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post
I'm 9 months behind and finally am watching flash, arrow, legends, and supergirl from this season
normally I wouldn't bump this thread but this post made me. I was thinking the exact same thing, especially as I saw that "Lucy" statue in person a couple years ago
NETFLIX GODDAMNIT!!!
Old 06-16-17, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Season five of Arrow was actually pretty decent for those that have yet to watch it. The season-long villain ends up being almost as compelling as Deathstroke. I liked it far more than seasons three or four.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.