Reload this Page >

Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix) -- Season 1 Thread -- 9/30/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix) -- Season 1 Thread -- 9/30/16

Old 10-11-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix) -- Season 1 Thread -- 9/30/16

I've got 5 more episodes to go, but this feels like everything Black Dynamite parodied. Also, why did they let Cottonmouth off when Misty had a recording of the IA dude's confession that he worked for Cottonmouth?
Old 10-20-16, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Finished this finally. Yea, I agree with the majority sentiment here...started off strong, but really dropped once Cottonmouth was killed. Diamondback was just a real B grade villain. Terrible. The last 3 episodes were a real drag...and that final fight between Diamondback and Cage was horribly edited and choreographed. That and the crowd Oooing and Awwing....ugh.

Definitely the weakest of the 4 Marvel Netflix seasons.

I'd give it a C+ overall. I think Mike Colter is excellent as Cage, and the supporting cast outside of Diamondback was solid. Dug the atmosphere and the urban/hip hop vibe of the show too. I'd watch a 2nd season, but my expectations would be in check.
Old 10-20-16, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I am still playing Jidenna's "Long Live the Chief" on a daily basis so thank you to the show for introducing me to it. Loved that opening to episode 5.
Old 10-24-16, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Finished this finally. Yea, I agree with the majority sentiment here...started off strong, but really dropped once Cottonmouth was killed. Diamondback was just a real B grade villain. Terrible. The last 3 episodes were a real drag...and that final fight between Diamondback and Cage was horribly edited and choreographed. That and the crowd Oooing and Awwing....ugh.

Definitely the weakest of the 4 Marvel Netflix seasons.

I'd give it a C+ overall. I think Mike Colter is excellent as Cage, and the supporting cast outside of Diamondback was solid. Dug the atmosphere and the urban/hip hop vibe of the show too. I'd watch a 2nd season, but my expectations would be in check.
I have to agree with this as well. Just finished it up, and the last few eps were a chore.

Might bump the overall grade to a B tho, I liked Mike Colter a lot. Show seemed to lose a lot when Cottonmouth was gone from the picture.
Old 10-24-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

I could be wrong. But, around the same point that Cottonmouth died, the show stopped having so much fun with the blaxploitation-inspired stylings (which I thought was the real highlight of the show).
Old 10-24-16, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I could be wrong. But, around the same point that Cottonmouth died, the show stopped having so much fun with the blaxploitation-inspired stylings (which I thought was the real highlight of the show).
Yeah. It really showed that the show creator did all of his writing and directing in the first few episodes before handing it off to others to wrap up. I'm sure he was heavily involved... but but really shows that "his stuff" were the best of the bunch.

Like, the director of the final episode was reaaaallly bad. Very clunky, ugly edits, stock footage inserts, horrible music video... it was bad. Usually the showrunner tackles the finale. No clue why he didn't here.
Old 10-24-16, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
...and that final fight between Diamondback and Cage was horribly edited and choreographed. That and the crowd Oooing and Awwing....ugh.
I liked the series but that last fight was bad. It felt like they watched Friday and decided to copy a scene from that movie.
Old 10-25-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts

Just finished it. It pales in comparison to Daredevil and JJ.
Old 10-26-16, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I am about 2 episodes from the end of the series and its true that since Cottonmouth dies the series goes downhill. To be honest though i think this out of all the Netflix Marvel shows so far is the hardest to create a dynamic riveting show throughout. One big misstep i think they made is having the series last for 13 episodes. Way too many for the story that its telling. Easily 3 at least could have been eliminated. DD and JJ both had much more interesting story lines and the characters felt more fleshed out. Thats not to say that LC doesnt have some great characters, it simply doesnt seem to know how to utilize them better. Coulter is great as LC and he makes the show, but he needed a stronger villain throughout and a more significant story. Its easily the weakest of the Netflix shows so far, but still think that the Defenders will be great (and Iron Fist and the Punisher).

I get the feeling that with these subsequent shows we might get a couple of other new characters appearing in prep for their own shows. What other interesting B/C/D level super heroes do you think might make an appearance? Moon Knight i guess is one. Cloak and Dagger would fit with the NY setting.
Old 10-26-16, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts

Marvel is working on a Cloak & Dagger series, but for Freeform:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/marv...es-1201747907/
Old 11-30-16, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally finished watching this and I agree that the show goes down hill once they start focusing on Diamondback. Also how do you name every episode after a gangstarr track but never play any of their music??
Old 11-30-16, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I still havn't gotten round to watching the last episode. Will do so today. The show started well, but it went downhill around the half way mark as mentioned. I think a problem is that the character in the comics wasn't exactly deep. They did a great job early on making his back story interesting, but it just seemed to go nowhere after a while and became rather mundane. Easily the worst of the Marvel Netlfix shows, but still worth a watch.
Old 11-30-16, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts

Apparently like everyone else who has responded, I think the show needed to be ten episodes instead of 13; it just felt too padded. That being said, I like the cast, and it's probably the best-looking of the Netflix/Marvel series.
Old 12-04-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts

Luke Cage confirmed for 2nd season: http://io9.gizmodo.com/netflix-confi...n-2-1789663779
Old 12-04-16, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Great news.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/80...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Old 02-25-17, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just watching this now (one episode left) after avoid spoilers since it launched. I thought I would be the odd man out since early word was that it was excellent. Instead I'm among the many saying it was really good until they killed Cottonmouth.

I think the show went off the rails not just because they lost their most interesting, or at least charismatic, villain, but the remaining villains were so inconsistent and incompetent. Several times I thought maybe Mariah would step up. They even had a Godfather invite all the bosses, "today we settle all family business" type meeting scene, which Diamondback hijacked.

So Diamondback seemed to be the new big bad, until the nightclub hostage stuff went down where Shades was 100% right about how his plan made no sense. Shades himself was a character I couldn't track, and his back talk seemed well out of character. I expected him to have more juice considering how he acted earlier in the series, maybe even have powers, but I don't know if it was the actor or what but I never bought into the character being a badass.

That said, I also agree with many of the positives mentioned here. There are several very good performances, Luke, Misty, Cottonmouth, even Mariah were all well acted. Never been a fan of Dawson's portrayal of Night Nurse. Music was great.

I think they handled the "blackness" of the series nicely as well. They didn't ignore it, they acknowledged it, integrated it and even took advantage of it at times, whether it be in interactions between characters or plot devices/issues, but it also wasn't too heavy handed.
Old 04-19-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 648 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
I am still playing Jidenna's "Long Live the Chief" on a daily basis so thank you to the show for introducing me to it. Loved that opening to episode 5.
That was a fantastic track. Loved it.
Old 04-19-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 648 Likes on 504 Posts

I binged this and thought it was ok. I ado agree that Diamondback was the weak link o the show. I liked everything else. I also liked this more than JJ. I never did think JJ was a likable protagonist. Luke Cage is easily likable. Dude's cool.
Old 07-06-17, 09:52 AM

Received 2,605 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Here’s something weird: after actress Nabiyah Be confirmed her Black Panther character would be Harlem-based Nightshade/Nighthawk, the villain is now slated to appear in the second season of Luke Cage, played by a different actress. Sorry, true believers! It’s not all as connected as we once thought.

The Marvel Netflix shows, which share only referential connections to the Marvel Studios films, are considered part of the larger “Marvel Cinematic Universe,” even if some folks have had trouble reconciling the likes of Alfre Woodard (Luke Cage, Civil War) and Enver Gjokaj (The Avengers, Agent Carter) showing up as different characters on the big and small screens. The next big point of confusion – or perhaps not, we think we know what happened here – is Gabrielle Dennis of Rosewood fame joining Luke Cage as Tilda Johnson, a “brilliant, holistic doctor with a complicated history in Harlem.”

The Deuce’s Mustafa Shakir also joins the cast as John McIver, described by Marvel as a vengeful Harlem leader. Comic fans may be familiar with his turn as superhuman Bushmaster, though this seems to be the character’s first appearance in the MCU. As for Tilda Johnson? Well, Be’s tweet confirming the character’s Black Panther appearance, which was up for quite some time, has recently been deleted whereas the news of Dennis playing her on Luke Cage comes to us straight from Marvel.

Marvel proper and Marvel Studios don’t exactly see eye to eye; you may recall their 2015 split, which has been nothing but good for the movies since they’re now directly under Disney’s Alan Horn, and while Nabiyah Be’s role may not be particularly extensive, it was a nice bit of comic lore that seemed to flesh out Michael B. Jordan’s Killmonger, at least on this side of the release date. If Luke Cage is set to feature Johnson in a larger capacity, then it stands to reason the character’s “official” appearance will take place on the small screen.

It’s entirely possible there wasn’t much communication about this beforehand – both X-Men: Apocalypse and Logan cast different versions of Caliban independently of one another, so it’s not unheard of – and upon learning that a minor role in Black Panther had been given a designation reserved for a more substantial part on Netflix, the Marvel Sniper Squad likely asked for the tweet to be deleted (her sister's tweet about it is gone as well). For all we know, the character may not even be named in the film, so completists can still have their cake when it comes to this barely connected inter-media canon! The “MCU” is just the movies for me, but follow your bliss, man.

Luke Cage season 2 premieres 2018.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/07/...-black-panther
Old 07-06-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Just finished season 1 and i enjoyed it a lot. Looks like i'll be in a for a real treat since I havent watched DD or JJ yet
Old 07-06-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 315 Posts

I just finished it, yesterday, and enjoyed it too.

I will agree with those that stated it went downhill after Cottonmouth and that the last fight scene was ridiculous.

Unfortunately, the ending scene seems to indicate that Diamondback will be enhanced, like Luke. So we'll get to watch more of the worst part of the first season, in season 2.
Old 08-15-17, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,219 Posts

I just finished season 1 today in time to prepare for The Defenders. For some reason I decided to watch this last and Iron Fist before it even though this takes place before Iron Fist timeline-wise.

Not going to spoiler tag anything since this show has been out for almost 1 year now.

Overall, I thought it was okay. Slow at times and had some weak villains. Some episodes were a little bit of a slog to get through, but I found it mostly entertaining.

I'll break down my thoughts in Positives/Negatives so that I'm not rambling:

Positives:
Mike Colter - Perfect Luke Cage

Simone Missick - Liked her as Misty Knight. She had some good chemistry with Colter. Not really a fan of her frizzy hair, but I do find her attractive. Really hot sex scene with her and Colter in episode 1.

Mahershala Ali - Loved him as Cottonmouth. Too bad he was killed off for a far weaker villain in Diamondback.

Great soundtrack. Some pretty awesome R&B tunes

Rosario Dawson -- I think they really utilized Claire Temple the best here of all the shows. Now it appears she's Cage's love interest.

Negatives:

Diamondback - Weak and Corny villain. That final fight scene at the end with Cage was corny as shit. Seemed more like a jealous bratty brother than a major intimidating threat.

Shades - Lame villain. Thought there was nothing special about him other than being a thug who couldn't wait to steal the spotlight after Cottonmouth was out of the picture.

Killing off Frankie Faison so soon. I liked his character's repertoire with Colter.

They tried something different with this and some of it worked and some didn't.

This is what I would give all the shows thus far:

Daredevil (both seasons): B+

Jessica Jones: B

Luke Cage: C+

Iron Fist: B- Slight edge over Cage.
Old 03-06-18, 10:21 AM

Received 2,605 Likes on 1,786 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FU4Xn__5Qjg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After clearing his name, Luke Cage has become a celebrity on the streets of Harlem with a reputation as bulletproof as his skin. But being so visible has only increased his need to protect the community and find the limits of who he can and can’t save. With the rise of a formidable new foe, Luke is forced to confront the fine line that separates a hero from a villain.

June 22nd.
Old 03-06-18, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm going to watch these regardless, but I'm hoping whatever foe he faces is much better then Diamondback.
Old 03-06-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be there for Luke too.
He is my favorite Marvel Superhero in these different series from NF.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.