Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Aftermath (SyFy) -- S: James Tupper, Anne Heche - Season 1 Thread - Premieres 9/27/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Aftermath (SyFy) -- S: James Tupper, Anne Heche - Season 1 Thread - Premieres 9/27/16

Old 09-27-16, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

AFTERMATH, a new 13-episode original co-production, is produced by Halfire Entertainment in association with Syfy and Space. AFTERMATH centers on one family - Karen (Anne Heche, "Hung," "Men in Trees") and Joshua Copeland (James Tupper, "Revenge," Grey's Anatomy") and their children. The Copelands battle for survival after civilization comes to an apocalyptic end -- and they are faced not only with plague - but the rise of supernatural creatures. Universal Cable Productions has international distribution.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
Anne Heche as Karen Copeland
James Tupper as Joshua Copeland
Julia Sarah Stone as Dana Copeland
Levi Meaden as Matt Copeland
Taylor Hickson as Brianna Copeland

CREW INFORMATION:
Connie Dolphin as PROD
Glenn Davis as CRTR/EP
Jason Stone as CP/DIR (Pilot)
Julie Hope as EP
Suzanne Berger as PROD
William Laurin as CRTR/EP

GENRE(S):
drama

STUDIO INFORMATION:
Halfire Entertainment

Extended preview of the series

Old 09-27-16, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Aftermath (SyFy) -- S: James Tupper, Anne Heche - Season 1 Thread - Premieres 9/2

too much crap on Tuesday already. did they have to wait until midnight to air it again?
Old 09-27-16, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Aftermath (SyFy) -- S: James Tupper, Anne Heche - Season 1 Thread - Premieres 9/2

I'm in. Might as well.
Old 09-28-16, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was pretty mediocre, but maybe has promise. Be prepared for damn near every end of the world scenario to be thrown at you. My biggest complaint is that some of the acting seemed too nonchalant for the kind of events the characters were experiencing.
Old 09-28-16, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the idea but the execution was terrible. If you see a guy fly how long would you be freaking out? If you see a guy fly off with your daughter how long would you be freaking out? If you see a guy possessed by a demon fly into the air with your daughter how long would you be freaking out? Well in this show the family freaked out for about 15 seconds and then acted like nothing happen. This show had a tone of events that should cause very long freak outs but outside of the moment the event happen no one cared.

Hey we just seen demons and people eating people. A few minutes later lets pickup strangers stranded on the side of the road.

The show reminds me of the Left Behind series. Wait is this based on one of those books? That would explain a lot.
Old 09-28-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm guessing the demons are aliens coming out of the meteors taht are crashing on the earth.
Old 09-28-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stunned at the preceding comments. This was an enjoyable pilot, if mildly derivative only because it's yet another apocalyptic scenario.

This was far better than I anticipated and the skinwalkers offer a lot of new storytelling potential.

What I found amusingly ironic was Aftermath's premise is built around the idea that largely everyone in the world goes crazy, except Anne Heche. I wonder if that was stunt casting.

The acting and execution were a cut above the normal Syfy dreck.
Old 09-28-16, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a little torn. I'm a sucker for the any show with an apocalyptic theme so odds are I'll give it a few more eps.
Yet as other have said the reaction to the world going to crap was just strange. Everything is treated like it's just rush hour traffic. Even the scene on the bridge, the military just goes full on HAM and mows down 20+ people in front of them but the family is all "Ok so can we go?".

plus while I'm all for a female protagonist Anne Heche's character just sort of seems like a bitch. I don't mean that in some whiner like way where people throw that around as a dig toward any strong female role. No she really seems like a "Why are you even married to her!?!" level of bitchy chick. Her husband is played like a weak emasculated book worm.

she storms out the house, more or less tells her husband to STFU as she just drives off by herself. They tried to throw in a little line about how she was in the air force or something but still. She's all of 100 pounds but she leaves the gun even when the world is falling apart around her.

hey I'm out of here family! That guy who just threw my son past a wall and then some sort of wraith came out? Meh, not my problem go mop up that up.

Maybe I just don't like Anne Heche or something.
Old 10-05-16, 12:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2nd episode shows no improvement ofthe general complaints here. I'm very iffy on continuing to ep. 3.
Old 10-05-16, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dragons, didn't see that coming.
Old 10-05-16, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No Sharknados, No Sale.
Old 10-05-16, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just chuckling that this show is a Men In Trees reunion (Heche and Tupper were stars of MIT, which was a fun show to watch while it lasted).
Old 10-05-16, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Couldnt make it to the half hour mark.
Old 10-06-16, 12:09 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
I like the idea but the execution was terrible. If you see a guy fly how long would you be freaking out? If you see a guy fly off with your daughter how long would you be freaking out? If you see a guy possessed by a demon fly into the air with your daughter how long would you be freaking out? Well in this show the family freaked out for about 15 seconds and then acted like nothing happen. This show had a tone of events that should cause very long freak outs but outside of the moment the event happen no one cared.
The problem I had is the tone is a bit too serious for the absurd way they handle everything. I could see the cavalcade of craziness working if this had a slightly humorous bent to it (thinking more Ash vs Evil Dead/Zombieland than Sharknado). Or I could see the serious tone working if the characters actually treated the situations with the appropriate gravity. But they pick a poor mismatch of 'serious but stupid' that doesn't mesh. I didn't hate it, but I can't see myself coming back to this.
Old 10-06-16, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The second episode was rather forgettable until a dragon shows up out of nowhere. That was the most interesting thing we've gotten in two episodes.
Old 10-06-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The second episode was rather forgettable until a dragon shows up out of nowhere. That was the most interesting thing we've gotten in two episodes.
Looks like we're getting an exciting Amish subplot next week. I didn't know there were any in Washington. The dragon was cool though. We'll probably see more fantastic creatures as the series progresses.
Old 10-06-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love post apocalyptic shows but boy did this one not catch me. Less then ten minutes in I was checking Facebook on my phone and I finally realized 25 minutes in I was bored to tears. If it gets better maybe I'll check back again later but the pilot didn't work for me at all.
Old 10-26-16, 09:50 AM

Wayne Brady??
Old 10-26-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an ok show, but sometimes the characters act too stupid. Sally is dead and so is Quantrell, but if she hadn't been a coward and abandoned Quantrell in the forest neither would be dead.
Old 10-26-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's an apt description. Aftermath wants to be the Walking Dead with a new apocalyptic scenario each episode. It's okay television. I guess it's better than Van Helsing.

SyFy needs to give their apocalypse fetish a rest.
Old 10-26-16, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was behind by at least 3 (or was it 4) eps because I only watched the pilot...realized I like the casting on the show but do not really care for the show itself so I deleted the season pass (surprised I pulled the trigger, but glad I did).
Old 10-26-16, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

AFTERMATH centers on one family - Karen (Anne Heche, "Hung," "Men in Trees") and Joshua Copeland (James Tupper, "Revenge," Grey's Anatomy") and their children. The Copelands battle for survival after civilization comes to an apocalyptic end -- and they are faced not only with plague - but the rise of supernatural creatures. Universal Cable Productions has international distribution.
Anne Heche? STRIKE ONE!

Centers on one family? STRIKE TWO!

Eh, that's bad enough for me ... YOU'RE OUT!
Old 10-27-16, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
But... Wayne Brady!
Old 10-27-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Anne Heche? STRIKE ONE!

Centers on one family? STRIKE TWO!

The show is about more than one family. It's almost more about the people the family meets as they struggle to survive in this new landscape. Heche is the big name in the cast but her character is really part of an ensemble. She doesn't dominate screen time like some leads.

The teen children have probably gotten more focus than the parents in the family.
Old 11-02-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked this last episode. My favorite part was when the mom gunned down the prison women after they told her they killed her kid. Maybe don't tell someone with a gun pointed at you that you killed their kid.

Lots of dumb moments but they were so dumb it was fun.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.