Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Simpsons (FOX) -- Season 28 Thread -- premieres 9/25/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-25-16, 10:11 AM

**SEASON PREMIERE**--"THE SIMPSONS" - (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

MR. BURNS PUTS ON A VARIETY SHOW TO HEAL OLD WOUNDS ON THE ALL-NEW SEASON 28 PREMIERE OF "THE SIMPSONS" SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, ON FOX

Amy Schumer ("Inside Amy Schumer," "Trainwreck") Guest-Voices on Tonight's Season Premieres of BOB'S BURGERS, THE SIMPSONS and FAMILY GUY!

When Springfield is burned to the ground, the Simpsons beg Mr. Burns to fund its rebuilding. Burns agrees - with one condition: he gets to put on a variety show at the Springfield Bowl, on the all-new "Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus" season premiere episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, Sept. 25 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT). (SI-2720) (TV-PG D, L, V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Tress MacNeille as Dolph; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse

Guest Voice Cast: Amy Schumer as Mrs. Burns
Old 09-25-16, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Simpsons (FOX) -- Season 28 Thread -- premieres 9/25/16

So there was a new episode of The Simpsons tonight.

Yep . . . The Simpsons are back.

That definitely was something that was shown on television.
Old 09-25-16, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They referenced Arnold Palmer about the time his passing was being announced. That was rather South Park-esque.
Old 09-25-16, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
So there was a new episode of The Simpsons tonight.

Yep . . . The Simpsons are back.

That definitely was something that was shown on television.
There was some excellent voice acting, it seems like they've been doing this for a while.
Old 09-26-16, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this was a great start to the season. I usually like the Mr. Burns' episodes.

With above-average height, comes above-average responsibility.
Old 09-26-16, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to tape The Simpsons religiously in the early 90s. Now, I was informed here that it had premiered yesterday. I guessed I missed it. Huh. (Same for Family Guy...)
Old 09-27-16, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still need to watch the premiere (its on my DVR but I haven't gotten to it yet). I will say though that people like to write this show off but it has managed to be good for quite a while. I don't think some people are wiling to recognize that or just don't care as much now but it passed the slump it had in its teen seasons quite a while back.
Old 09-27-16, 09:30 AM

Exactly. People think the cool thing is to bash The Simpsons as if that wasn't so ten years ago.

Thought it was funny. Man, the animation has come a long way. Love the Mob vs. Anti-Mob Mob Fight.
Old 09-27-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was kind of sucky.
Old 09-27-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's sad to me that I don't really care about new Simpsons either. I am aware they've gotten better since the dreck that was coming out around S16. I'm thinking about DVR'ing the past 5 seasons or so from the upcoming marathon so I can for myself when it gets better. I usually change the channel from FX if I see the episode is later than S14 or so.
Old 09-27-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To be honest I wouldn't even say there are that many weak seasons when you look at the overall scope of how long the show has been on. I'd probably peg the weakest seasons from about season fourteen until about eighteen or nineteen. That's just personal opinion obviously but four or five seasons out of twenty-eight isn't that bad.
Old 09-27-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've found every season, including all the teen seasons, pretty enjoyable. It actually wasn't until last season that I found basically an entire season that sucked (though I did enjoy the Barthood episode).
Old 09-27-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't hate any of the seasons really but I do recognize that the show had a slump for a while. I've always been a big fan of it though so I'm probably a bit biased. I just think for being on as long as it has been its still pretty good.
Old 09-27-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the people that dropped it years ago, the "new" Simpsons improved considerably once it moved to HD. I think that was Season 22 or so.
Old 09-27-16, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They went to HD midway through season twenty actually.
Old 09-27-16, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
For the people that dropped it years ago, the "new" Simpsons improved considerably once it moved to HD. I think that was Season 22 or so.
I'll admit that I've probably only seen a couple dozen episodes in the last 15 years, but I've made a point to catch a few here or there whenever people start talking about how it's "good again." It may or may not be. I don't know. What I do know is that it does not even remotely resemble the show that I grew up loving in the 90's. Taken on its own merits it might be a satisfying enough way to spend 20 minutes, but I can't watch it without thinking about what it used to be. At that point I'd rather just pop in my dvds of the old episodes.
Old 09-28-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
I'll admit that I've probably only seen a couple dozen episodes in the last 15 years, but I've made a point to catch a few here or there whenever people start talking about how it's "good again." It may or may not be. I don't know. What I do know is that it does not even remotely resemble the show that I grew up loving in the 90's. Taken on its own merits it might be a satisfying enough way to spend 20 minutes, but I can't watch it without thinking about what it used to be. At that point I'd rather just pop in my dvds of the old episodes.
The show is definitely less consistent these days. Episodes are more hit or miss.

From what I can tell, episodes today are written far more by one or two writers than in the golden age. Or at least individual segments tend to have one strong comedic voice to them.
Old 09-28-16, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not really a commentary guy but I've listened to a lot of the Simpsons commentaries from the golden years and it's easy to understand why those episodes are so good - the writers are very funny even talking about the episodes.
Old 09-28-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I still like the show.

The show has evolved too. So if you are looking for something like the first 10 seasons, you won't find that. It's a different kind of humor now, still Simpsons, but different.

I thought the season premiere was meh (as they would say).
Old 09-29-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
To be honest I wouldn't even say there are that many weak seasons when you look at the overall scope of how long the show has been on. I'd probably peg the weakest seasons from about season fourteen until about eighteen or nineteen. That's just personal opinion obviously but four or five seasons out of twenty-eight isn't that bad.
I agree.

While the show isn't as strong as it was during seasons 3 to 10 (and honestly, what show is?), around when it went to HD, it's gotten way better than it was during 13 to 18, and even during that time it wasn't "bad", just not "great" like it used to be.
Old 10-16-16, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one episode of the Simpsons that I usually still make an effort to watch is the annual Halloween episode. This year's episode was a reminder of why I don't watch the Simpsons any longer.
Old 10-16-16, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems like their idea of comedy for Halloween is to kill as many characters as possible. Boring.
Old 10-17-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tuned in last night since I read Frank Grimes would be back. What a lame "return".

The episode was as bland and uninspired as anything else I've seen from the show in the last decade and a half.
Old 10-17-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I need help finding a Simpsons clip from the old days.

Homer is driving the car and the kids are in the back, I think it's the carpool to school. Millhouse is there. Homer is pontificating on the finer points of "rocking out" to the music. He says a lot of stuff like, "So you want to rock hard, but not too hard, but then the music goes WHOA and you go YES, YES, YES! And then oops that's too much. But then you rock more."

Ring a bell with anyone? Is it on youtube?
Old 10-17-16, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I need help finding a Simpsons clip from the old days.

Homer is driving the car and the kids are in the back, I think it's the carpool to school. Millhouse is there. Homer is pontificating on the finer points of "rocking out" to the music. He says a lot of stuff like, "So you want to rock hard, but not too hard, but then the music goes WHOA and you go YES, YES, YES! And then oops that's too much. But then you rock more."

Ring a bell with anyone? Is it on youtube?
The episode is called "Homerpalooza".

Fox typically gets Simpsons content yanked from YouTube but you can stream through FX.

EDIT:

This should help:

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.