DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Van Helsing (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 9/23/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/637458-van-helsing-syfy-series-discussion-thread-premieres-9-23-16-a.html)

DJariya 11-02-15 07:16 PM

Van Helsing (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 9/23/16

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TEyKeX_RRa.../s1600/003.jpg

The new series will center on Vanessa Helsing, who is resurrected five years in the future and learns vampires have taken over the world.

Syfy is pulling from the book of Dracula for its latest series.

The NBCUniversal-owned cable network has acquired Van Helsing to series with writer Neil LaBute set as showrunner, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Originally introduced as Professor Abraham van Helsing in the 1897 gothic horror novel Dracula, the character is best known as a vampire hunter, monster hunter and arch nemesis of Count Dracula.

In this new interpretation, the central character is now a female, Vanessa Helsing, the next in a lineage of warriors who must lead mankind against a world controlled by vampires. When Vanessa is resurrected five years in the future, she learns vampires have taken over the world and that she possesses unique power over them. She is essentially humanity’s last hope to lead an offensive to take back what has been lost.

LaBute will exec produce with Simon Barry, Evan Tyler, Dave Brown, Daniel March and Chad Oakes and Mike Frisley for Nomadic Pictures (Fargo). Nomadic Pictures will produce the series and distribute it within the U.S. Dynamic Television will handle international distribution.

"I am extremely excited to be working with Syfy and Nomadic Pictures to create a unique, character-driven action series that will move the traditional vampire tropes into bold and unexpected new territories” LaBute said in a statement. “This is a wonderful chance for us to forge great stories and unforgettable characters and throw them into a world where the stakes – both dramatic and personal – are tremendously high."

Production on the 13-episode first season will begin in January in Vancouver for a fall 2016 launch.

“Van Helsing represents a new mythology in sci-fi by challenging traditional vampire rules," said Oakes, co-chairman of Nomadic Pictures." The series is unique in exploring a world completely dominated by vampires, while the human characters have to learn the importance of working together to ensure their survival. Mike and I are thrilled to team up once again with the talented Neil LaBute to deliver an amazing series."

The pickup comes in the midst of a rebranding for Syfy, which is hoping to turns its focus back to genre fare with upcoming projects like Childhood's End and The Expanse. The network recently canceled Defiance, Dominion and Haven.

“Van Helsing reimagines a classic story in a compelling new way, featuring a bold and complex heroine”, said Chris Regina, Syfy's senior vp program strategy. "This high octane acquired original series will be a terrific addition to our lineup next year."

Van Helsing was most recently adapted for the big screen in 2004. The film, starring Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale, grossed more than $300 million worldwide. David Warner (Titanic) portrayed Van Helsing on the Showtime series Penny Dreadful for two episodes in 2014.

LaBute, whose credits include Full Circle, Death at a Funeral and Lakeview Terrace, is repped by Gersh and Gendler & Kelly.

PhantomStranger 11-02-15 09:29 PM

Re: Van Helsing: The Series (SyFy) -- Coming Fall 2016

It could be interesting, I will definitely give it a chance.

majorjoe23 11-02-15 09:38 PM

I vant to suck... dat ass!

writer106 11-02-15 11:15 PM

I'll probably give it a chance.

DRG 11-03-15 09:42 AM

It can't be worse than the Hugh Jackman film. But it's kind of stupid that they named her Vanessa Helsing...'van' should be part of the surname, not a shortening of a common name. Vanessa van Helsing sounds a lot cooler than Vanessa 'Van' Helsing.

Koby 11-03-15 10:23 PM

I liked the Hugh Jackman movie. Hopefully this turns out okay but I don't have much hope for it. Vanessa Helsing? Seriously...

PhantomStranger 11-03-15 11:57 PM

I actually enjoy the movie for what it is, a light action movie with horror characters.

hanshotfirst1138 11-04-15 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12635932)
I actually enjoy the movie for what it is, a light action movie with horror characters.

It's not terrible, it just seems to have the volume set at 11 to start with and never turn it down. Even as a teen when I gobbled up frantic action movies, it just wore me out.

dex14 02-17-16 10:19 AM

http://i0.wp.com/pmcdeadline2.files....size=446%2C299

Kelly Overton has been cast as the lead in Van Helsing, the 13-episode sci-fi series from Nomadic Pictures (Fargo, Hell On Wheels), which is set to air on Syfy in the U.S. Also cast in the show, from Neil LaBute, are Jonathan Scarfe (Hell on Wheels), Christopher Heyerdahl (Hell on Wheels), Paul Johansson (Mad Men), David Cubitt (Ray Donovan) and Tim Guinee (Homeland).

A new take on the Dracula myth, Van Helsing chronicles the resurrection of Vanessa Helsing (Overton), the next in line of a lineage of warriors who now must lead mankind against a world controlled by vampires in the post-Rising landscape.

Scarfe plays Axel, a career Marine with unwavering devotion and loyalty to both duty and his wards, despite years of isolation and endless vampire attacks. Heyerdahl will play Sam, a survivor of the vampire Rising, who relies on his strength and observational skills to stay alive. Cubitt will play John, another survivor of the vampire Rising, whose actions are fueled by anger, prejudice, suspicion and fear. Johansson will play Dimitri, a vampire turned before the Rising, he is now the patient and calculating leader of the vampires. Cubitt will play John, another survivor of the vampire Rising, whose actions are fueled by anger, prejudice, suspicion and fear. Guinee will play Flesh, a vampire foot soldier who does battle with Vanessa and conceals a tragic past.

“We’ve been extremely blessed to get such a wonderfully talented and diverse cast for Van Helsing,” said writer/showrunner LaBute. Added Chad Oakes, Co-Chairman of Nomadic Pictures, “Kelly will be an amazing Vanessa and our lead cast is nothing short of outstanding.”

Set to direct episodes of Van Helsing are Michael Nankin (Hell on Wheels), Jason Priestley (Haven), David Frazee (Orphan Black), Simon Barry (Continuum) and Amanda Tapping (The Magicians). The series is set to begin production in Vancouver, BC on February 22. for a premiere on Syfy this fall.

Overton is best known for her regular role as Rikki Naylor, the alpha female werewolf, on HBO’s True Blood. She was most recently a series regular on Season 2 of TNT’s Legends and also recurred on The CW’s Beauty and the Beast. She is repped by Innovative Artists.

Scarfe is repped by Michael Greene & Associates and More/Medavoy; Heyerdahl is repped by Michael Greene & Associates; Johansson is repped by Gilbertson Entertainment and Stone Manners Salners Agency; Cubitt is repped by APA and The Characters; Guinee is repped by Principal Entertainment.

Executive producing the series are Chad Oakes & Mike Frislev from Nomadic Pictures, Neil LaBute, Simon Barry, Evan Tyler, Dave Brown and Dough Mankoff (Echo Lake Entertainment), as well as Daniel March (Dynamic Television). Nomadic Pictures will distribute the series within Canada, Fallout Asylum and Dynamic Television will distribute the series (initial window) in the United States. Dynamic Television is also on board as international distributor. SuperChannel and SuperEcran (Quebec) will air the Series in Canada.
http://deadline.com/2016/02/van-hels...es-1201703926/

Koby 08-01-16 09:11 PM

So did anyone catch the early airing Syfy did Sunday night of episode one?
What do you think of it so far?

From what I read... people are saying it's 'The Walking Dead' just replace Zombies with Vampires.

Axeramm 08-01-16 10:20 PM

I thought the main actress was the same one from Wynona Earp.

Koby 08-01-16 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Axeramm (Post 12864521)
I thought the main actress was the same one from Wynona Earp.

Vannessa Helsing is played by Kelly Overton who I knew mostly as one of the Werewolves named Rikki Naylor on True Blood.

Inhumans99 08-02-16 05:03 PM

I am not sure what to make of this show yet...I hope the 2nd episode has enough meat on the bones for me to chew on, otherwise I could see folks giving up on this show rather fast. The first eps of Z Nation and Wynonna Earp were good enough that I knew I wanted to stick with both series, but the jury is definitely still out on Van Helsing (and this is coming from a guy who is well known on these parts for feasting on bad Syfy original films).

DJariya 09-23-16 02:19 AM

Van Helsing (SyFy) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/23/16

http://www.liveforfilm.com/wp-conten...ing-poster.jpg

In a twist on the classic vampire adventure tale, VAN HELSING revolves around unlikely heroine Vanessa Helsing (Kelly Overton, "True Blood"), who unexpectedly discovers that she holds the key to humanity's survival: her own blood! Gifted with not only an immunity to vampires, Vanessa is also capable of taking out her bloodthirsty foes by turning them into humans with her bite. Now both prey and predator, Vanessa sinks her teeth into her role as humanity's leader - and secret weapon - in their resistance against the vampires that plagued their world. An original co-production, VAN HELSING is produced by Nomadic Pictures, which also serves as the studio. Executive producers are Chad Oakes & Mike Frislev from Nomadic Pictures, showrunner/writer Neil LaBute, Simon Barry ("Continuum"), Evan Tyler (Industry Works), Dave Brown and Zadoc Angell (Echo Lake Entertainment), as well as Daniel March (Dynamic Television). Nomadic Pictures will distribute the series within Canada, Fallout Asylum and Dynamic Television will distribute the series (initial window) in the United States. Dynamic Television is also on board as international distributor.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Aleks Paunovic as Julius
· Christopher Heyerdahl as Sam
· David Cubitt as John
· Jonathan Scarfe as Axel
· Kelly Overton as Vanessa Helsing
· Paul Johansson as Dimitri
· Tim Guinee as Ted

CREW INFORMATION:
· Chad Oakes as EP
· Daniel March as EP
· Dave Brown as EP
· Evan Tyler as EP
· Michael Nankin as DIR (Pilot)
· Mike Frislev as EP
· Neil LaBute as CRTR/EP
· Simon Barry as EP

GENRE(S):
· drama

STUDIO INFORMATION:
· Nomadic Pictures

13 episode 1st season

2 episodes air tonight

DRG 09-23-16 10:26 AM

re: Van Helsing (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 9/23/16

The basic idea behind the show as explained in that second clip is interesting, but the lead character is my least favorite part about it. I don't know if it's the lead actress or what, but she comes off as a bit bland. Maybe that's the point, that they're trying to play up the 'regular gal has an extraordinary gift' angle... I don't know. But she just feels too laidback to even have existed in this already f'ed up world.

Koby 09-24-16 12:48 AM

So episode one is after the world has fallen... Lead wakes from her coma-like state... has apparently been out of it for years. She wants to find her missing daughter. Shit happens, ends on a cliffhanger about the abilities her blood has. Then episode two, starts out before the world fell apart and pretty much shows us how Vanessa ended up in her coma-like state and how the world gradually fell. This took up 3/4 of the episode, then it jumps 3 years later which is still before the events of episode 1. Maybe episode 3 will pick up where episode 1 left off... but it seems like there is still more they want to tell before we get to that.

randian 09-24-16 01:11 AM

It feels like the episodes are out of order. They've set it up so they can save the doc though.

Baron Of Hell 09-24-16 01:44 PM

I'm liking the show so far. Feels like I seen this show a hundred times before but I like buffy clones.

PhantomStranger 09-24-16 07:00 PM

The episodes were definitely aired out of order. Episode 2 was likely meant to be the pilot before someone realized Syfy viewers wouldn't sit through 30 minutes of tedious single-mother drama before getting any vamp action.

They added a brief scene to make it work and flipped the episodes. It wouldn't surprise me if they originally were written together as a movie for Syfy.

I watch virtually everything vamp related but this wasn't that good. Yawn, yet another post-apocalyptic scenario with monsters running around.

I'll give it another episode or two but these first two episodes were mostly uninspired. The only thing that caught my attention was the actress playing the sinister vampire companion of the head vampire. Regular SyFy viewers should recognize her.

Koby 09-24-16 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12906726)
The episodes were definitely aired out of order. Episode 2 was likely meant to be the pilot before someone realized Syfy viewers wouldn't sit through 30 minutes of tedious single-mother drama before getting any vamp action.

They added a brief scene to make it work and flipped the episodes. It wouldn't surprise me if they originally were written together as a movie for Syfy.

I watch virtually everything vamp related but this wasn't that good. Yawn, yet another post-apocalyptic scenario with monsters running around.

I'll give it another episode or two but these first two episodes were mostly uninspired. The only thing that caught my attention was the actress playing the sinister vampire companion of the head vampire. Regular SyFy viewers should recognize her.

I don't think it'd work even just flipping 1 & 2.

Really seems like ep1 would have been more like ep 3 or 4 (depending on how the next episodes play out). There is certainly more gap they plan to bridge before ep1 connects to what was shown with ep2.

Anyways if anyone forgot, the woman playing Vanessa Helsing, played a werewolf on True Blood.

Original Desmond 10-09-16 03:04 AM

Anyone still watching this ? its on the bubble for me leaning towards kicked to the curb

PhantomStranger 10-09-16 01:19 PM

It feels like a militaristic Walking Dead with vamps in place of zombies. I don't think it's been anything special so far.

MScottM 10-10-16 10:07 AM

Im in for a few more episodes. I hope she gets over the " im no one special" stuff quick. If its proven that your blood turns vamp back into people then guess what babe, you are someone special.

randian 10-10-16 10:43 AM

Her dumbass "my kid must be alive" bit is getting tiresome. Given how TV writers do things we the audience know the kid must be alive (and is probably a vampire so we can have some fake angst before she drinks her mom's blood and gets fixed), but it's beyond all reason to think the daughter is alive.

Also, getting yourself captured is a stupid idea. Why do you think the vamps won't behead you at the first opportunity?

DJariya 10-14-16 05:32 AM

Renewed for a 2nd season today: http://deadline.com/2016/10/van-hels...fy-1201836369/

randian 11-29-16 06:49 PM

Took me a moment to recognize Kelly Overton as Seth Wright's (Kal Penn) girlfriend/reporter on Designated Survivor.

Laura Mennell is wasted on this show.

Koby 12-10-16 05:03 AM

How come her daughter doesn't have the van helsing genes?
Seems it's passed down from generation to generation, so doesn't make sense to me...
Would have figured she'd have the same abilities.

DJariya 06-17-17 05:32 AM

Re: Van Helsing (SyFy) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/23/16

Was in Asia for about 24 days and logged into my Netflix account when I was in Hong Kong. It turned out that Van Helsing is a Netflix Original Series overseas. It was also available for download offline. So I went ahead and downloaded the entire season on my iPad to watch on my plane rides.

I had not watched the season when it aired last Fall on SyFy. Anyways, I am now 11 episodes in and loving this show. I can still watch the remaining episodes while offline. Very dark and violent. It also turns out the International version is uncensored language-wise. There are multiple F bombs dropped in each episode. I assume the recent BD release is also the Uncut version.

The black female doctor pissed me off. Especially after her chicken shit actions that got one of the main characters killed.

Kelly Overton is pretty awesome as Vanessa. I'm also surprised how many supposed regular characters they killed off in this 1st season. I'm sure I will have the 1st season finished before the day is over.

I read season 2 airs in the Fall and is currently filming.

dex14, I don't think this show is a very discussion-friendly show, if you see this, change the title to "Series Thread"

Edit:

Finished the season. Interesting cliffhangers. Axel is still alive, but now a Vamp. Plus, the daughter is alive, but she's also a Vamp.

dex14 10-05-17 06:55 AM

Re: Van Helsing (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 9/23/16

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 5

VAN HELSING "Began Again" - 9/8c *SEASON PREMIERE*

Vanessa and Mohamad search for Dylan as Dmitri's citadel crumbles around them. Flesh acquires an unexpected ally in one of the Resistance Fighters. Taka clashes with the Vampire Elite.

DJariya 10-07-17 03:54 PM

-eek- Damn, the 1st episode of the new season was a blood bath.

A bunch of bodies and they killed off several characters from season 1.

It was also shot very dark. Some scenes I could barely make out what was going on.

Vanessa is a cold no holds barred killing machine.

DJariya 11-06-17 02:25 PM

I just watched episode 3 last night where Vanessa's daughter appears to be finally "cured" and then that ending happens. :(

That was just heartbreaking. Kelly Overton's scream at the end gave me chills down my spine.

Vanessa trying to locate her daughter was basically the whole point of season 1 aside from the Vampires. Now, she's just going to be a cold and emotionless killing machine. I think now she lost all her hope and humanity.

randian 11-06-17 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13199800)
Now, she's just going to be a cold and emotionless killing machine.

She more a hot-headed and stupid killing machine. All rage, no thought is going to get her into easily avoidable peril.

Inhumans99 11-10-17 06:28 PM

I am rapidly falling behind on this show...enjoying Ghost Wars and Z Nation which I catch up on every week, but this show which airs right before Ghost Wars has just been piling up on my tivo. I was just barely above lukewarm as far as embracing this show the last season, so should I just move on and delete from my tivo (I am 5 eps behind...basically so far all of season 2 is backlogged)?

randian 11-29-17 03:32 AM

Great to have Missy Peregrym on the show, though I assume her "guest star" status means her character is due a violent and grisly death in a few episodes.

No explanation yet why Vanessa's turning ability has gotten so much more dangerous to the vamp being turned. Now that blood powers her up and she can take sword thrusts through the belly she's almost a daywalking vampire, though she doesn't (yet) need blood to survive.

DJariya 12-19-17 07:25 PM

Renewed for a 3rd season: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...0171219syfy01/

randian 12-22-17 12:58 AM

Glad it got renewed. I don’t understand the writers’ fascination with Sam and to make an entire episode about him with no Vanessa in sight is a waste of production time. I hate that character and wish they’d kill him off or just forget he ever existed.

Kdogg 12-22-17 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by randian (Post 13231494)
Glad it got renewed. I don’t understand the writers’ fascination with Sam and to make an entire episode about him with no Vanessa in sight is a waste of production time. I hate that character and wish they’d kill him off or just forget he ever existed.

It’s the third episode this season without Vanessa. Not only that, it didn’t even have the other Van Helsing. Hope Sam’s dead. With Mohamed’s turning I think only the little girl is the only survivor from the first season group who hasn’t been a vampire.

randian 01-11-18 12:58 PM

The last two episodes of the season were also Vanessa-free (except for the last scene of the finale). Very disappointing, I wonder what the reasons are for Kelly Overton appearing so infrequently.

Scarlett telling her vampire thrall to "find Vanessa" without telling him not to hurt her was beyond stupid. It should have been obvious he would pervert any order she gives. Angry thralls do that. Since he's attempting to turn Vanessa I wonder what's going to happen. That doesn't work and is usually lethal for regular vampires.

Since Scarlett didn't get killed is Missy Peregrym going to join the regular credited cast or remain a "special guest star"?

DJariya 01-11-18 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by randian (Post 13243615)
The last two episodes of the season were also Vanessa-free (except for the last scene of the finale). Very disappointing, I wonder what the reasons are for Kelly Overton appearing so infrequently.

Scarlett telling her vampire thrall to "find Vanessa" without telling him not to hurt her was beyond stupid. It should have been obvious he would pervert any order she gives. Angry thralls do that. Since he's attempting to turn Vanessa I wonder what's going to happen. That doesn't work and is usually lethal for regular vampires.

Since Scarlett didn't get killed is Missy Peregrym going to join the regular credited cast or remain a "special guest star"?

Kelly Overton was pregnant during production of season 2.

DJariya 05-01-18 10:21 PM

Finally finished season 2 today. Started out good, but kind of fizzled out at the end.

The back half of the season was sorely missing Vanessa (Kelly Overton) due to her pregnancy. They focused much more on the supporting characters. Plus, she wasn't even in 99% of the season finale either.

Although Missy Peregrym was a nice addition as Vanessa's sister Scarlett. Cannot stand Doc. Wish they would kill her off.