Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Van Helsing (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 9/23/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Van Helsing (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 9/23/16

Old 11-29-16, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

re: Van Helsing (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 9/23/16

Took me a moment to recognize Kelly Overton as Seth Wright's (Kal Penn) girlfriend/reporter on Designated Survivor.

Laura Mennell is wasted on this show.
Old 12-10-16, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

re: Van Helsing (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 9/23/16

How come her daughter doesn't have the van helsing genes?
Seems it's passed down from generation to generation, so doesn't make sense to me...
Would have figured she'd have the same abilities.
Old 06-17-17, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Van Helsing (SyFy) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/23/16

Was in Asia for about 24 days and logged into my Netflix account when I was in Hong Kong. It turned out that Van Helsing is a Netflix Original Series overseas. It was also available for download offline. So I went ahead and downloaded the entire season on my iPad to watch on my plane rides.

I had not watched the season when it aired last Fall on SyFy. Anyways, I am now 11 episodes in and loving this show. I can still watch the remaining episodes while offline. Very dark and violent. It also turns out the International version is uncensored language-wise. There are multiple F bombs dropped in each episode. I assume the recent BD release is also the Uncut version.

The black female doctor pissed me off. Especially after her chicken shit actions that got one of the main characters killed.

Kelly Overton is pretty awesome as Vanessa. I'm also surprised how many supposed regular characters they killed off in this 1st season. I'm sure I will have the 1st season finished before the day is over.

I read season 2 airs in the Fall and is currently filming.

dex14, I don't think this show is a very discussion-friendly show, if you see this, change the title to "Series Thread"

Edit:

Finished the season. Interesting cliffhangers. Axel is still alive, but now a Vamp. Plus, the daughter is alive, but she's also a Vamp.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-17-17 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-05-17, 06:55 AM

Re: Van Helsing (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 9/23/16

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 5

VAN HELSING "Began Again" - 9/8c *SEASON PREMIERE*

Vanessa and Mohamad search for Dylan as Dmitri's citadel crumbles around them. Flesh acquires an unexpected ally in one of the Resistance Fighters. Taka clashes with the Vampire Elite.
Old 10-07-17, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn, the 1st episode of the new season was a blood bath.

A bunch of bodies and they killed off several characters from season 1.

It was also shot very dark. Some scenes I could barely make out what was going on.

Vanessa is a cold no holds barred killing machine.
Old 11-06-17, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just watched episode 3 last night where Vanessa's daughter appears to be finally "cured" and then that ending happens.

That was just heartbreaking. Kelly Overton's scream at the end gave me chills down my spine.

Vanessa trying to locate her daughter was basically the whole point of season 1 aside from the Vampires. Now, she's just going to be a cold and emotionless killing machine. I think now she lost all her hope and humanity.
Old 11-06-17, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Now, she's just going to be a cold and emotionless killing machine.
She more a hot-headed and stupid killing machine. All rage, no thought is going to get her into easily avoidable peril.
Old 11-10-17, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am rapidly falling behind on this show...enjoying Ghost Wars and Z Nation which I catch up on every week, but this show which airs right before Ghost Wars has just been piling up on my tivo. I was just barely above lukewarm as far as embracing this show the last season, so should I just move on and delete from my tivo (I am 5 eps behind...basically so far all of season 2 is backlogged)?
Old 11-29-17, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great to have Missy Peregrym on the show, though I assume her "guest star" status means her character is due a violent and grisly death in a few episodes.

No explanation yet why Vanessa's turning ability has gotten so much more dangerous to the vamp being turned. Now that blood powers her up and she can take sword thrusts through the belly she's almost a daywalking vampire, though she doesn't (yet) need blood to survive.
Old 12-19-17, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Renewed for a 3rd season: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...0171219syfy01/
Old 12-22-17, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad it got renewed. I don’t understand the writers’ fascination with Sam and to make an entire episode about him with no Vanessa in sight is a waste of production time. I hate that character and wish they’d kill him off or just forget he ever existed.
Old 12-22-17, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by randian View Post
Glad it got renewed. I donít understand the writersí fascination with Sam and to make an entire episode about him with no Vanessa in sight is a waste of production time. I hate that character and wish theyíd kill him off or just forget he ever existed.
Itís the third episode this season without Vanessa. Not only that, it didnít even have the other Van Helsing. Hope Samís dead. With Mohamedís turning I think only the little girl is the only survivor from the first season group who hasnít been a vampire.
Old 01-11-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The last two episodes of the season were also Vanessa-free (except for the last scene of the finale). Very disappointing, I wonder what the reasons are for Kelly Overton appearing so infrequently.

Scarlett telling her vampire thrall to "find Vanessa" without telling him not to hurt her was beyond stupid. It should have been obvious he would pervert any order she gives. Angry thralls do that. Since he's attempting to turn Vanessa I wonder what's going to happen. That doesn't work and is usually lethal for regular vampires.

Since Scarlett didn't get killed is Missy Peregrym going to join the regular credited cast or remain a "special guest star"?
Old 01-11-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The last two episodes of the season were also Vanessa-free (except for the last scene of the finale). Very disappointing, I wonder what the reasons are for Kelly Overton appearing so infrequently.

Scarlett telling her vampire thrall to "find Vanessa" without telling him not to hurt her was beyond stupid. It should have been obvious he would pervert any order she gives. Angry thralls do that. Since he's attempting to turn Vanessa I wonder what's going to happen. That doesn't work and is usually lethal for regular vampires.

Since Scarlett didn't get killed is Missy Peregrym going to join the regular credited cast or remain a "special guest star"?
Kelly Overton was pregnant during production of season 2.
Old 05-01-18, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finally finished season 2 today. Started out good, but kind of fizzled out at the end.

The back half of the season was sorely missing Vanessa (Kelly Overton) due to her pregnancy. They focused much more on the supporting characters. Plus, she wasn't even in 99% of the season finale either.

Although Missy Peregrym was a nice addition as Vanessa's sister Scarlett. Cannot stand Doc. Wish they would kill her off.
Old 09-26-18, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is Missy Peregrym a regular for this season or did she quit when she got the starring gig on FBI (CBS)?
Old 09-26-18, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Is Missy Peregrym a regular for this season or did she quit when she got the starring gig on FBI (CBS)?
She was on the Van Helsing Comic Con panel this past summer to promote the third season. And Scarlett is mentioned in the episode descriptions, so presumably yes sheís back. For how long, donít know.

They finished filming in June. Missy would have started work on FBI in July.
Old 10-05-18, 06:59 AM

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 5

VAN HELSING "Fresh Tendrils" - 10/9c SEASON 3 PREMIERE

Vanessa is once again resurrected and must confront her family's legacy. Axel, Scarlett, and the others fend off Blak Tek's forces who hope to add Scarlett to their list of lab rats.
Old 10-05-18, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow didn't realize it premieres tonight.
Old 10-29-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wish they'd just get rid of the whole Sam and Mohammad story line. Sam has overstayed his welcome and the whole sub-plot just continues to drag the seasons down. Could easily cut those segments out and miss nothing for most of the seasons.
Old 10-29-18, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Wish they'd just get rid of the whole Sam and Mohammad story line. Sam has overstayed his welcome and the whole sub-plot just continues to drag the seasons down. Could easily cut those segments out and miss nothing for most of the seasons.
i concur
Old 10-29-18, 11:20 AM

agreed, ended up fast forwarding through some of fridays ep
Old 10-29-18, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed! The episodes without a Van Helsing drag down the show.
Old 10-29-18, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Exactly. I don't know why they think Sam is interesting or why they think we want more of Sam.
Old 11-16-18, 11:14 PM

another very short ep tonight thanks to sam and mohammad

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.