Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

MacGyver (CBS) -- S: Lucas Till, George Eads -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-16, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: MacGyver (CBS) -- S: Lucas Till, George Eads -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/23

Replaying this tonight in case you feel the need to punish yourself
Old 09-25-16, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: MacGyver (CBS) -- S: Lucas Till, George Eads -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/23

That was just plain bad. Everything that made the original MacGyver was missing here. He was a loner- that's gone. He didn't like guns- well, that's mostly gone- he has a partner that kills people. He has a hacker on team because he can't deal with modern tech apparently.

The casting is all wrong, the writing is terrible.

I'll give this one a pass.
Old 09-25-16, 10:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

And did the original MacGyver do a voiceover explaining every damn thing he was doing? Yeah, 15 minutes is more than enough for me.
Old 09-26-16, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trespoochies
And did the original MacGyver do a voiceover explaining every damn thing he was doing? Yeah, 15 minutes is more than enough for me.
If they prefaced those with "When you're a spy..." I'd be all in.
Old 09-26-16, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I am quickly growing to despise the cookie-cutter team approach to every action series. Each hero must have a team of handlers and assistants to do anything. It's relentless and the networks never deviate from it week to week.
Old 09-26-16, 01:52 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

The whole appeal to MacGyver was that he was (mostly) a one man army. He went in and got the job done when nobody else could (without guns). A team defeats that idea.

He certainly would have balked at the idea of a team member who killed people on his behalf, regardless of whether it was to defend him or not.
Old 09-26-16, 02:32 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

even with the reboot scenario, just didn't feel like Macgyver at all and didn't have great cast chemistry

I will give it another episode

I heard Amy acker appears at some point so want to see that
Old 09-26-16, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

http://tvline.com/2016/07/28/amy-ack...-macgyver-cbs/

Yeah Amy Acker will guest star in episode 2 on Friday
Old 09-26-16, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I am quickly growing to despise the cookie-cutter team approach to every action series. Each hero must have a team of handlers and assistants to do anything. It's relentless and the networks never deviate from it week to week.
Also almost every cookie-cutter computer "hacker" character on the team, resembles the dolts on CSI Cyber. This caricature probably goes back further in time, such as Abby Sciuto on NCIS (since the first season).

In terms of the generic "hacker" character doing tasks very easily as if like a "wizard", I think it might go back even further. For example, such as KITT on the original Knight Rider.
Old 09-26-16, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

100% doa.
Old 09-27-16, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I was entertained well enough. However I have enough shows to watch as it is so not really sure about adding this. Could always take another look when everything goes on break.
Old 09-27-16, 09:11 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything from the opening banter to the poor depiction of technology was just bad here.
Old 09-27-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

In better news, a Macgruber sequel is creeping forward: http://www.avclub.com/article/will-f...cgruber-243180
Old 09-27-16, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Everything from the opening banter to the poor depiction of technology was just bad here.
Which reminds me. The hard drive thing was off. Yeah, hit the case with a hammer and risk breaking the hard drive when you can just take a simple screw out to get to it. (Looked like that one did) And that would have been thought of, removing a drive should not make anything easier if the person knows what they are doing.
Old 09-29-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

I didn't like this a little bit.

From the bad hair to the bad tech to, well everything.

Oh the girlfriend being a bad guy was a call as soon as she got shot.

At the end of the show I thought to myself that this is just a remake of Scorpon I bailed on that stupid show after 4 eps, I'll give this one three.
Old 09-30-16, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

With CW DC shows starting up next week, Mac is headed to the no-record/no watch heap...

We enjoy Scorpion, as stupid as it gets sometimes, a lot more.
Old 09-30-16, 07:58 AM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Reminds me of Scorpion meets CSI Cyber, with some "Under The Dome" style silliness.
With just a little Burn Notice.

The start of this episode reminded me of Indiana Jones when he was yelling -
"Start the boat! Start the boat!"

Old 10-01-16, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Last night's episode was pure unintentional comedy.

I at how everything has to be clearly spelled out and idiot proofed. All the materials that Mac used for his hacks had to have some text graphic to clearly spell out what it was. I don't know if they think they're being clever or if they think the viewer is just too dumb to get it.

and then Riley walks into that internet cafe later in the show and there was a text graphic that said..."Internet Cafe" Plus apparently that cafe was still using 56K modems and that allowed Patricia (the boss lady) enough time to travel from the Phoenix foundation in Los Angeles and fly to Venezuela to save her in the same fricking day!

I also loved the scene where Mac made that glorified magnifying glass and was able to use the sun and blow up all those explosives.

I was entertained for all it's silliness, but I know it probably wasn't intended that way. I can see how most viewers might be offended that the writers are treating them as dumb. Amy Acker was a nice guest star though. She worked well with Mac and Eads.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/macgyver-ho...170029255.html

According to the above article, Acker does sound open to coming back again. Says she signed on as a guest star because one of the Producers used to work on POI.

Mac's fugitive girlfriend from he Pilot appears to be the running storyline.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-01-16 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-01-16, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Now that I think about it, Mac looks like a young Jon Bon Jovi without the hairspray metal hair back in the 1980s.
Old 10-01-16, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought episode two was entertaining in a way. This is a show you don't need to think too hard about with its straightforward action formula.

I'll watch anything with Amy Acker in it. I hope they tone it down with MacGyver's clueless friend. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before he becomes part of the team.
Old 10-02-16, 02:28 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Just horrible!!!!

Richard Dean Anderson was cute, incredibly likable and reminded people of a cute science teacher.

This guy is not attractive, acts so annoying you want to punch him and makes me NOT want to watch the show.

The only good thing about the show was George Eads who should have been the star.

Not sure who they think they are trying to appeal to with this show. Its not cerebral enough to appeal to fans of the original.

And the lead is not charismatic enough to attract young viewers.

Maybe they think the same people who watch 'Big Bang Theory' will watch this piece of shit.
Old 10-03-16, 07:43 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

just not feeling it
Old 10-03-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This iteration of MacGyver has been made with Millennial audiences in mind. It hits all the standard tropes of mindless CBS action in the 21st Century.

I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, not every show has to be Shakespeare.
Old 10-03-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This iteration of MacGyver has been made with Millennial audiences in mind. It hits all the standard tropes of mindless CBS action in the 21st Century.

I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, not every show has to be Shakespeare.
Yeah but then why use the name MacGyver. I don't think Gen X and Baby Boomers who watched the original are going to stick around much longer. I doubt many Millennials watched through reruns which weren't on often and on second and third tier channels.
Old 10-03-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Yeah but then why use the name MacGyver. I don't think Gen X and Baby Boomers who watched the original are going to stick around much longer. I doubt many Millennials watched through reruns which weren't on often and on second and third tier channels.
That's why he said and I agree that it's an action show geared to the 20 and 30 something audience. The only thing this has in common with the original series is the name and Henry Winkler being one of the Producers of both shows.

The showrunner of this version, Peter Lenkov, said on a behind the scenes featurette I saw that this is a "Re-imagining" of the character for the 21st century. I don't think he or the network cares to appeal this show to the 40 and 50 something crowd who watched RDA play the character back in the 80's. Using the nostalgia factor rarely works. They probably want as many of those youngsters who aren't familiar with the character to tune in Friday nights.

Heck, Lucas Till was one of the stars of 3 X-Men movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.