Reload this Page >

Red Dwarf season XI

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Red Dwarf season XI

Old 09-22-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Red Dwarf season XI

As Red Dwarf is approaching it's 30 year mark, it is starting its 11 season this week. While I prefer the first 5 or 6 seasons when Bob Grant was still on the show working with Doug Naylor, I can't turn my nose up at a 2 new seasons of Red Dwarf (season XII comes out next year, but is already in the can). Will this new season reach the brilliance of season 5? Probably not. But, I'm sure there will be some solid laughs.

Here's the list of the episode names:

Twentica
Samsara
Give and Take
Officer Rimmer
Krysis
Can of Worms
(apparently after nearly 30 years, the first Cat-centric episode ever)

Last edited by PatD; 09-22-16 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-22-16, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Red Dwarf season XI

I am always up for another run with these guys. I go in just being happy to see them again and that's enough for me to enjoy myself.
Old 09-22-16, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not going to check it out unless I hear great things, and even then I'll take it with a grain of salt. As someone who discovered the show fairly late it's not one of those shows that I let skate for nostalgia's sake. I'm generally not a fan of anything past series 6, with "Back to Earth" being really shit IMO.
Old 09-23-16, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Red Dwarf X was an improvement over Back to Earth by including a live audience but the show will never recapture the magic of the first few seasons. That being said I enjoyed the last season and I look forward to whatever the smeggin' future will bring.
Old 09-25-16, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just finished the first 2 episodes ("Twentica" and "Samsara"). Both episodes are fitfully amusing and the tone harkens back to the days when the show was more adventure/comedy oriented.

The good: there are some generally funny moments, and the science fiction concepts are inspired and clever. The dialogue is fun as always. The performers as always wear these characters like an epidermis. There's not a false note. "Back to Earth" was terrible, but "X" was a MASSIVE improvement. "XI" is slightly more fun--so Red Dwarf seems like it's on an upward trajectory.

The not-so-good: These episodes feel slightly half-baked (especially "Samsara"). They're the same length time-wise, but the episodes in the classic years seemed larger in scope telling a much more clear 3-act-story with a conclusion as satisfying as a well-penned episode of Star Trek. Here, everything seems scrunched in and seems to end before the whole story *feels* established. Also, these episodes aren't that memorable. Think of "Dimension Jump" or "Back to Reality". Those episodes gave us memorable characters like Ace Rimmer and Duane Dibbley. Even the 2-man play, "Marooned" seemed *bigger*. Sigh, I miss Bob Grant.

But, my complaints are minor. I'm so grateful to have more Red Dwarf. Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise could only wish to be this good a science fiction series. The cast is charming as always and I'm always entertained. I'll always treasure the first 5 seasons, but more Red Dwarf is manna from heaven as far as I'm concerned.