DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   TV Talk (Reverse) Sheep: A SHEEP of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones Sheep) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/637444-tv-talk-reverse-sheep-sheep-ice-fire-game-thrones-sheep.html)

davidh777 09-22-16 03:04 AM

TV Talk (Reverse) Sheep: A SHEEP of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones Sheep)

TV Talk (Reverse) Sheep: A SHEEP of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones Sheep)

Intro for first-time players

Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

Player A gets zero points, unless unique bonuses are in play (refer to the Game-Specific Rules). The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong. If "Texas" is ruled incorrect, player C gets +4 points (two above the most common correct answer).

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules

Spoiler:

<ul><li> The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">Sheep</font>) or least common (<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">Reverse Sheep</font>), but still correct.
<li> Example <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">Sheep</font> question: "Name a confusing sci-fi TV series." A good answer might be Lost and a bad answer might be Land of the Giants.
<li> Example <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">Reverse Sheep</font> question: "Name a Clippers draft pick." Blake Griffin might be a bad answer, but Yaroslav Korolev might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
<li> Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
<li> There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
<li> You may not cheat by using Google or Wikipedia, fan sites, etc. Use only what's in your head.
<li> Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.
<li> Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
<li> Sheep questions are marked by an <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font>.
</ul>

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:

<li> Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
1 Unique is awarded -15
2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
<li> Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:
<ul><li> In <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">Sheep</font> questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier. You are allowed to use up to ONE of your {sd}s on any given question.
<li> In <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">Reverse Sheep</font> questions, you can use a single {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing. I will answer any questions you have about Slam Dunks.

Many of these questions are not difficult. That's where dunk strategy comes into play.

This game pertains to the HBO original series Game of Thrones. Sorry, smug book readers, but anything that happens in the books but not in the TV show is NOT eligible.

SPOILER WARNING: This game will involve SPOILERS for the first six seasons of Game of Thrones. Anything in the books that hasn’t yet happened in the series, or has been rumored about future seasons in interviews, paparazzi photos, etc.—really, anything other than your own personal speculation--must be put in spoiler tags.

"Actor" is a gender-neutral term.

Troll submissions will be thrown out.

Only one dunk is allowed per question. Any additional dunks played will be wasted.

And another reminder: Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. If you are playing a slamdunk on a question, add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Incorrectly formatted answers will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.

However, slamdunk errors will be granted one "resurrection" and may be corrected via PM once with no penalty. However, revisions simply because you "thought of a better answer" will not be allowed. I may PM you for answer clarification; no response often brings about the least-desirable result.

There has been some recent discussion around the amount of "trivia" in Sheep games. I think this is unavoidable in making an interesting game, but the hope here is that all watchers of the show will be able to come up with some kind of correct answer for every Reverse question.

Note: In general, I prefer not to play my own Sheep games. However, I often reserve the right to play in case turnout is thin, and most of my games attract about eight players each. With that in mind, I don't read my PMs till (1) I've decided not to play or (2) I've submitted my own answers to another player. If you are PMing me a question about the game, please put "Sheep question" in the subject line and don't include it with your answers.

I will accept a reasonable number of participants, and plan on starting sometime in September.

The Questions
<ol><li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Name one of the five kings in the War of the Five Kings.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> What has been the best season of the series?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> What has been the best episode of the series? (need to provide title, or number of season and episode)
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Name someone who we've seen sitting on the Iron Throne.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> GOT has become famous for its use of "sexposition." Name a character who has had sex on screen.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> On the other hand, name two people who spend time together without having sex with each other.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Who is the sexiest character?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> What has been the best action scene so far?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Which character's death did you find the most satisfying?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> All the best weapons have names. What is one of the weapons that has been referred to by a proper name (not a generic name, like "sword" or "ax")?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> HBO's cast page lists seven members of the Free Folk, or "wildings." Without referring to that page, name one of them.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Cersei and Jamie have a... unique relationship. Name another pair of siblings.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Similarly, name a parent-and-child combination.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Your forces are headed into battle. Which character do you want to lead them?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> The Starks always tell us "Winter is coming." Name another famous quote from the series.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Peter Dinklage has won two Emmys for his work on GOT. Name another great actor in the cast.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> The Red Wedding was a shocking moment in the series. Name another shocking moment.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Much of the series revolves around the eight members of the immediate Stark family. Name one of them.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> BONUS TIEBREAKER QUESTION (if necessary; no dunks allowed): Who do you think will be sitting on the Iron Throne when the series ends?
</ol>

Neitzl 09-22-16 08:02 AM

Re: TV Talk (Reverse) Sheep: A SHEEP of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones Sheep)

In!

Decker 09-22-16 09:20 AM

Just a clarification so we don't get into another Seinfeld Sheep mess : a number of characters on the show are often referred to by an identifying nickname -- sometimes far more often than they are called by their actual name. In situations like that (not naming any actual characters, but let's say the GoT equivalent of Soup Nazi or Bubble Boy), will you accept the universally well-recognized nickname?

davidh777 09-22-16 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12904828)
Just a clarification so we don't get into another Seinfeld Sheep mess : a number of characters on the show are often referred to by an identifying nickname -- sometimes far more often than they are called by their actual name. In situations like that (not naming any actual characters, but let's say the GoT equivalent of Soup Nazi or Bubble Boy), will you accept the universally well-recognized nickname?

For the purposes of this game, "Petyr Baelish" and "Littlefinger" will be considered the same answer. Just to use a purely hypothetical example. :D

wishbone 09-22-16 10:40 AM

Submitted! May the Seven have mercy on my soul...

DaveNinja 09-22-16 11:48 AM

answers submitted.
i know a lot about this show/book but have no idea on what the sheepiest answers will be

brainee 09-22-16 12:59 PM

In the spirit of the "twist" from the last game, how about a "Red Wedding Twist"? Whoever is leading the game at the halfway point gets "killed" and is kicked out of the game! :D

Kal-El 09-22-16 01:01 PM

Answers sent!

TomOpus 09-22-16 01:05 PM

Well, poop. I'll guess I'll be on the sideline since I never watched the show past the very first few episodes. Good luck, everyone.

at least I won't be in last place :)

davidh777 09-22-16 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 12905027)
In the spirit of the "twist" from the last game, how about a "Red Wedding Twist"? Whoever is leading the game at the halfway point gets "killed" and is kicked out of the game! :D

Why stop there? Divide the questions into a certain number of "seasons" and kill the leader after each one! :D

brainee 09-22-16 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12905036)
Why stop there? Divide the questions into a certain number of "seasons" and kill the leader after each one! :D

:thumbsup: While I was (mostly) joking, that would be hilarious :lol:

redstang93 09-22-16 02:43 PM

Don't post much, but decided to play. I look forward to my last place finish (don't think I submitted my answers correctly, so already down 20 points).

mwbmis 09-22-16 02:46 PM

Submitted. Hopefully my answers will be more a Dance with Dragons rather than a Feast for Crows.

GhostLee 09-22-16 04:28 PM

Will submit answers later tonight.

And they're in.

T-bone22 09-23-16 10:32 AM

I'm in.

majorjoe23 09-23-16 10:42 AM

I'll submit soon.

Damfino 09-23-16 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12905036)

That would be so Game of Thrones-ish!

I'm in! Answers sent.

DaveNinja 09-23-16 11:32 AM

this is a "no spoilers" game right? i wouldnt want to ruin it for someone who has never seen the series but for some reason wants to read the thread. :p

brainee 09-23-16 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja (Post 12905837)
this is a "no spoilers" game right? i wouldnt want to ruin it for someone who has never seen the series but for some reason wants to read the thread. :p

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12904741)
WARNING: This game will involve SPOILERS for the first six seasons of Game of Thrones. Anything in the books that hasn’t yet happened in the series, or has been rumored about future seasons in interviews, paparazzi photos, etc.—really, anything other than your own personal speculation--must be put in spoiler tags.

Not sure if serious or not :D Sheepmaster warned anyone who cares about spoilers right at the top. #9 and #17, by their nature, will have answers that are nothing but gigantic spoilers.

wishbone 09-23-16 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 12905853)
Not sure if serious or not :D Sheepmaster warned anyone who cares about spoilers right at the top. #9 and #17, by their nature, will have answers that are nothing but gigantic spoilers.

Since I'm waiting for the Blu-ray release on 11/15 to finally watch S6 I probably should say, "Congrats [Winner] and thanks davidh777 for a great game!", and just bow out now. ;)

davidh777 09-23-16 03:55 PM

Thanks for the 12 submissions so far! I plan to take answers at least through the weekend.

In:
Neitzl
wishbone
DaveNinja
AaronHernandez
redstang93
Kal-El
mwbmis
cdollaz
bradler
GhostLee
T-bone22
Damfino

Originally Posted by Damfino (Post 12905818)
That would be so Game of Thrones-ish!

And best of all, it wouldn't need to be in the rules, just unleashed on people! :D

Originally Posted by DaveNinja (Post 12905837)

:lol: I started to follow a Buffy game then realized I should watch the series first. :lol:

Originally Posted by wishbone (Post 12905879)
Since I'm waiting for the Blu-ray release on 11/15 to finally watch S6 I probably should say, "Congrats [Winner] and thanks davidh777 for a great game!", and just bow out now. ;)

Y'know, now that you mention it, it would've been a good idea to post this 10 hours after the BD release (so non-HBO people would've have time to binge), or even in conjunction with the start of season 7. :doh: Oh well!

We'll let you know who wins so you can update your compendium post. ;)

brainee 09-24-16 04:45 PM

Answers submitted. Breaking tradition (which has been doing me little luck), I will go out on a limb and say these answers are awesome and I will dominate this game :D

majorjoe23 09-24-16 06:52 PM

Answers submitted.

Decker 09-24-16 07:13 PM

Answers submitted.

Definitely a case of "be careful what you wish for". With only 60 episodes and the most popular show on TV, I might know my stuff but so does everyone else.

So many "Russian Roulette" Reverse questions here. Everyone knows all the possible answers and just has to out-think everyone else.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/E2y40U2LvKY/hqdefault.jpg

Shannon Nutt 09-24-16 08:43 PM

Worthless answers submitted. Since I can't remember the names of about 75 percent of the characters on this show, my answers are pretty "mainstream." :(

In the spirit of the show, we should make this interesting and randomly "execute" some Sheep along the way, eliminating them from contention. ;)