Pitch (FOX) -- MLB Drama -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/22/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Pitch (FOX) -- MLB Drama -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/22/16

Old 11-04-16, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Pitch (FOX) -- MLB Drama -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/22/16

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
According to Fox's new schedule postings, this one will finish out in December, probably never to return.
It won't surprise me if it's not renewed. I like the show, but my one complaint with it is the main character: most of the time she's too much of a sourpuss for my taste; she rarely enjoys her success or looks happy. I know she let loose in last night's episode, but that was the exception and not the rule.
Old 11-04-16, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
my one complaint with it is the main character: most of the time she's too much of a sourpuss for my taste; she rarely enjoys her success or looks happy. I know she let loose in last night's episode, but that was the exception and not the rule.
I think you're not giving enough weight to her situation. She's young and has an incredible amount of pressure on her (which is what #1x06 "Wear It" was about). She's been pushed (even more than the average male jock) to ridiculous lengths by her dad (a jock who didn't make it). Success isn't a magical switch that you suddenly turn on and the room lights up. You can bet your bottom dollar that she has haters who don't think she belongs and hope she fails (including her own teammates to start the show).

Being a trailblazer (she commented on why she thinks she isn't, but let's go with the premise) is tough work. I don't think Hillary Clinton is sipping Mai Tais on a daily basis thinking "I've arrived. I'm the first female nominee of a major party." She's too busy fighting off arrows. I see it all the time. What happened to Beyoncé at the CMA's? Talkback comments literally calling her the N word -- for performing a song. Serena Williams? Took all kind of negativity early in her career. So much so that she refused to play at least one court because of how she'd been treated previously. I doubt Jackie Robinson was all smiles behind the scenes. We only saw his public face. Ginny smiles for the camera too, but we get to see her behind the scenes.

Ginny is very new to all this. She's not only carrying the weight of being the first woman, but we can't ignore that she's also a black woman. I thought the show did a good job of showing that she does love baseball, but she also sometimes hates baseball. I can't think of a famous person I've ever known who didn't feel that way at some point. It's a ridiculous amount of pressure always doing and saying the right things in front of millions of eyes -- many of whom want to see you stumble and fall. And yes, it can sap some of the joy out of what should be a joyous time. The trick, as near as I can tell, is to have context (which can be difficult to come by).

As I was watching the episode, I couldn't help but think of Ronda Rousey. She has gone through much of the same thing. She's lucky she's in a sport where you can take time off and come back (as she has). She took the time and focused on mostly just being a human being with a dog, a boyfriend, family, friends, and training partners (and coaches).

Ginny's dad is dead. She doesn't get along with her mom (who was having an affair before dad even died). And she has so many "demands" (some of which aren't really demands, it's internal pressure she puts on herself). With the exception of spending time with her teammate's family, where exactly is her happy place where she gets to be a human being, not a pro baseball player?

Both my wife and I really like this show. If not enough people are watching, it'll go away. I'm OK with that. We'll just enjoy it for the time it's on TV. Kudos to Fox for putting it on the air in the first place.

Last edited by MikahC; 11-05-16 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Episode # Typo
Old 11-04-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 151 Likes on 112 Posts

It's funny that the guy that plays Eliot, played "Reggie Jackson" on his last TV show.
Old 11-05-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 452 Likes on 389 Posts

It's a shame more people didn't try this show out and watching it. After the somewhat over-the-top pilot, each episode has been good.

I really like how the cast meshes. Fox should have let the MLB Network re-air repeats each week to build awareness. That is the target audience for it.

I wonder if MLB Network would be interested in continuing it themselves? Pitch looks very expensive.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 11-06-16 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-05-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I really liked this episode. Ginny is under so much pressure that it makes total sense that she would eventually act out. I loved the shout-out to Mamie Johnson in the episode too. Someone on the writing staff knows their history.
Old 11-07-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My second-favorite new show after designated survivor.
Old 11-10-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

11/10/16 - Another solid episode. I really enjoy MPG as Lawson and Consuelos as Oscar. I will miss this show when it's inevitably cancelled.
Old 11-17-16, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another winner. The preview for the next episode said there's only 1 left before the season finale.
Old 12-08-16, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,217 Posts

FYI for those unaware or behind, tonight is the season finale. Season is ending after 10 episodes.

GINNY NEARS THE END OF HER SEASON ON AN ALL-NEW PITCH THURSDAY, DECEMBER 8, ON FOX

Kevin Connolly ("Entourage"), BJ Britt ("UnREAL") and Joanna Garcia Swisher ("Once Upon A Time") Guest-Star

Ross warns the Padres that Ginny is dangerously close to her pitching limit, but management is reluctant to end her season. Meanwhile, Amelia confronts Will about money that has gone missing from the restaurant fund in the all-new "Don't Say It" episode of PITCH airing Thursday, Dec. 8 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (PTH-110) (TV-14 D, L, S)

Cast: Kylie Bunbury as Ginny Baker, Mark-Paul Gosselaar as Mike Lawson, Ali Larter as Amelia Slater, Mo McRae as Blip Sanders, Mark Consuelos as Oscar Arguella, Dan Lauria as Al Luongo, Meagan Holder as Evelyn Sanders and Tim Jo as Eliot.

Guest Cast: Kevin Connolly as Charlie Graham, Tyler Hilton as Noah Casey, BJ Britt as Will Baker, Joanna Garcia Swisher as Rachel Patrick, Jack McGee as Buck, Josh Peck as Ross, Bert Belasco as Sonny and Scott Peat as Butch.
Old 12-08-16, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

but thanks for the entertainment.
Old 12-09-16, 12:04 AM

The Padres never played a night game, I guess Pitch didn't get permission to film at Petco at night.
Old 12-09-16, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

EW - Pitch boss on Fox baseball drama's struggle and future

I’m not delusional. I realize the numbers are what they are and it could end up being the final factor, but I do know that even as early as last week, there were discussions about putting it on in the summer.
Old 12-09-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did they just blow out Ginny's arm? Would they start a potential second season with her in Tommy John rehab? I'm not sure viewers want to see the main star on the sidelines for an entire season.

This show had very smart casting. Lots of recognizable faces, the producers didn't go cheap.

I have a feeling the show picks up a following if it gets played on streaming or given another venue to build an audience. Fox needs to let MLB Network air a few episodes over the Christmas season.
Old 12-09-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
The Padres never played a night game, I guess Pitch didn't get permission to film at Petco at night.
Her second start - which took place late first episode - was definiately a night game as the game started in the dark.
I think there may have been one or two more night games.

Last edited by LaxBandit; 12-09-16 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-09-16, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Did they just blow out Ginny's arm? Would they start a potential second season with her in Tommy John rehab? I'm not sure viewers want to see the main star on the sidelines for an entire season.

This show had very smart casting. Lots of recognizable faces, the producers didn't go cheap.

I have a feeling the show picks up a following if it gets played on streaming or given another venue to build an audience. Fox needs to let MLB Network air a few episodes over the Christmas season.
My guess is the MRI would come back as just a strain, but enough to shut her down for the season, which they were going to do anyway.

Also, nice line about the Cubs in the last episode I wonder if that was shot after the WS, knowing what happened?
Old 05-01-17, 07:37 PM

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Cancelled: http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/01/pitch-canceled-fox/
Old 05-01-17, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Mark Consuelos is now free to join Riverdale next season.
Old 05-01-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Not surprised. Bummer.
Old 05-02-17, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

That sucks, I really enjoyed the show. I think the fact that FOX moved it from its original start date may have hurt it.
Old 05-02-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Not surprised this was cancelled. Wrong venue for it. I agree that it would do better on streaming or even the MLB Network. Seems to be working for Nashville (even though it turned to shit).
Old 05-02-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was hoping MLB Network would pick it up, though their audience is almost all men.
Old 04-04-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Rumor, may get picked up for a 2nd season. Apparently Dan Fogelman's production deal with FOX is expiring soon and they may pick this up to try to keep him there: https://tvline.com/2019/04/04/pitch-...bf15iqfCjcP77c
Old 04-04-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Wait, what? Talk about rising from the dead... I assume this will be without Zack Morris if it happens, or is his other show going to get canceled? Or I guess he can pull double duty.
Old 04-04-19, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Rumor, may get picked up for a 2nd season. Apparently Dan Fogelman's production deal with FOX is expiring soon and they may pick this up to try to keep him there: https://tvline.com/2019/04/04/pitch-...bf15iqfCjcP77c
Wow. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-04-19, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.