Reload this Page >

The Goldbergs (ABC) -- Season 4 Thread -- premieres 9/21/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-21-16, 05:29 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

SEASON PREMIERE

A NEW SCHOOL YEAR BEGINS, AND THE KIDS QUICKLY FIND THEMSELVES IN SATURDAY DETENTION, ON ABC'S 'THE GOLDBERGS'

Episode Pays Homage to 1980s John Hughes classic

"Breakfast Club" - Adam works on his new persona for the first day of high school that he hopes will up his coolness level. Meanwhile, Beverly gets her teaching certification to become a substitute teacher. But when she is demoted to sub-janitor, she sends the Goldberg kids to a Saturday detention, but it is Principal Ball who must oversee the kids. Later, Murray arrives and takes over where he gives an important lesson, on the season premiere "The Goldbergs," WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21 (8:00-8:30 p.m. EDT), on the ABC Television Network.

"The Goldbergs" stars Wendi McLendon-Covey ("Bridesmaids") as Beverly Goldberg, Patton Oswalt ("Ratatouille") as adult Adam Goldberg, Sean Giambrone as Adam Goldberg, Troy Gentile ("Good Luck Chuck") as Barry Goldberg, Hayley Orrantia ("The X Factor") as Erica Goldberg, AJ Michalka as Lainey Lewis with George Segal ("Just Shoot Me") as Pops Solomon and Jeff Garlin ("Curb Your Enthusiasm") as Murray Goldberg.

Guest starring is Stephen Tobolowsky as Principal Ball, Tim Meadows as Mr. Glascott, Sam Lerner as Geoff Schwartz, Kenny Ridwan as Dave Kim, Allie Grant as Evy Silver, Sean Marquette as Johnny Atkins, Alex Jennings as Carla, Niko Guardado as Ruben Amaro Jr., Quincy Fouse as Taz Money and Andrew Secunda as Mr. MacCullough.

"Breakfast Club" was written by Marc Firek and directed by David Katzenberg.

Adam F. Goldberg, Doug Robinson, Alex Barnow, Marc Firek, Lew Schneider, Chris Bishop and Adam Armus are executive producers. "The Goldbergs" is produced by Happy Madison and Adam F. Goldberg Productions, in association with Sony Pictures Television.
Old 09-21-16, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: The Goldbergs (ABC) -- Season 4 Thread -- premieres 9/21/16

Can't wait. My favorite sitcom of the past couple of years. And I love how they've slowly and quietly expanded the cast.
Old 09-21-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I like The Goldbergs a lot. Started during season 2, but this sort of fell off my viewing schedule during season 3. I think I watched like 4 or 5 episodes before I fell way behind. Going to have to catch up on Hulu before I can tackle season 4. I'll catch up eventually.
Old 09-21-16, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I like The Goldbergs a lot. Started during season 2, but this sort of fell off my viewing schedule during season 3. I think I watched like 4 or 5 episodes before I fell way behind. Going to have to catch up on Hulu before I can tackle season 4. I'll catch up eventually.
Yes, because continuity is important to enjoying The Goldbergs, especially with their strict adherence to the 80s timeline
Old 09-22-16, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The bleeped/blurred F-bombs are just not funny anymore. I was never a fan of that gag, except on the Thanksgiving episode, and the one where Barry dropped one while wearing the Quaker head costume, and they blurred the mouth of the Quaker.

But speaking of "gag", I do like the recurring one of Erica's gag reflex (and not in a pervy way!)
Old 09-22-16, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I am a big fan of this show, but I thought this episode was really bad. I realize they had to stretch and contrive a lot to set up the "Breakfast Club" scenario. The funniest thing was George Segal drinking a martini at 8:00 in the morning.
Old 09-29-16, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They really gotta dump this "loveless Erica" storyline. It's not working. There's no universe in which a girl who looks like that doesn't have about a million guys trying to date her. Especially if she wears that sweater/miniskirt combo like in tonight's episode.
Old 02-21-17, 07:24 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Potential Curb reunion on tomorrow's episode with Susie Essman guest starring.
Old 02-21-17, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Potential Curb reunion on tomorrow's episode with Susie Essman guest starring.
Not a potential reunion it is one.
Old 04-05-17, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

C'mon, Kevin Smith. I'm sure you know that Batmin was released on June 23 (1989) and not April 5th. I guess they made it April for the college storyline. The stories didn't overlap at all so I guess we can assume the Batman stuff didn't actually happen at the same time.
Old 04-06-17, 01:06 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

They made it April 5 because it aired on April 5.
Old 04-06-17, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I can't believe there was a timeline error on The Goldbergs. Usually they're real sticklers to accurate 80s continuity.

Seriously though, the continuity error that bothered me was Erica singing in the rain juxtaposed with Adam and Pop Pop making a movie on a bright sunny day.
Old 04-07-17, 08:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am glad they have moved away from the mom being at the school. I did not look forward to watching that story line at all.

I liked the batman episode - but a kid like Adam (and probably all of us here) used to watch the Adam West batman shows religiously and loved them - kind of far fetched that he 'never' saw them before.
Old 04-07-17, 09:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I am glad they have moved away from the mom being at the school. I did not look forward to watching that story line at all.

I liked the batman episode - but a kid like Adam (and probably all of us here) used to watch the Adam West batman shows religiously and loved them - kind of far fetched that he 'never' saw them before.
indeed, we all watched batman, that was a stretch for adam..

the batmin bit was funny tho...
Old 04-07-17, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it depended on what market the syndication was playing in. Here in the SF bay area it was constantly playing in the 70's afterschool. I don't remember it getting any airtime in the 80's, though. But, yeah, Adam is old enough to have at least seen the series.
Old 05-04-17, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Another episode with terrible timeline mistakes.

"The Day After" aired in November of 1983, nowhere near Mother's Day.
Bette Midler's "Wind Beneath My Wings" didn't come out until 1988.

And Star Wars Day (May the Fouth Be With You) is only a recent thing. I suppose Adam could have come up with that himself but would he also have called it "Star Wars Day"?
Old 05-04-17, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I think it depended on what market the syndication was playing in. Here in the SF bay area it was constantly playing in the 70's afterschool. I don't remember it getting any airtime in the 80's, though. But, yeah, Adam is old enough to have at least seen the series.
Up until the '89 movie came out, I never saw the Adam West Batman television show. It was only after Batmania '89 happened that they began to re-air those shows in my area. I was pretty disappointed too after reading flipping through The Killing Joke and watching Keaton as Batman, and then seeing this campy, jokey show.
Old 05-04-17, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by windom

And Star Wars Day (May the Fouth Be With You) is only a recent thing. I suppose Adam could have come up with that himself but would he also have called it "Star Wars Day"?
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

z
Old 05-04-17, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't think historical accuracy is really all that important for a sitcom. Loved this episode, I remember when The Day After aired, it really was a pretty huge deal at the time. I even had that TV Guide! I remember thinking how graphic it was (for the time) and couldn't believe it was airing on regular TV.
Old 05-04-17, 07:46 AM
Enormous Genitals

Also, from what I recall "The Day After" was a two-night event, which wasn't mentioned in the episode. Also, my school encouraged us to watch it! This show is not historically accurate! The horror!

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I don't think historical accuracy is really all that important for a sitcom.
Ya think?

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Loved this episode, I remember when The Day After aired, it really was a pretty huge deal at the time. I even had that TV Guide! I remember thinking how graphic it was (for the time) and couldn't believe it was airing on regular TV.
I remember everyone was so somber in school after watching it. I'm sure that's what ended the Cold War.
Old 05-04-17, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Also, from what I recall "The Day After" was a two-night event, which wasn't mentioned in the episode. Also, my school encouraged us to watch it! This show is not historically accurate! The horror!

I remember everyone was so somber in school after watching it. I'm sure that's what ended the Cold War.
As I recall, "The Day After" was an "all-in-one" Sunday night broadcast, -2 1/2 hours (not the now-common Three). I recorded it on my VCR and saved it for a few days because my girlfriend at the time missed it and wanted to see it. I don't think I've watched it since.

Note: I looked it up on IMDB. They mentioned that the original broadcast was followed by a half-hour discussion (which I don't recall). The film was intended as a two-part "four hour" "event" but was pared down to 127 minutes. Apparently there have been a few different edits available for the home video market.

Last edited by DWilson; 05-04-17 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-04-17, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I read up a bit on The Day After, which I never saw as a kid, though I was born in 76. Sounds like it actually WAS pretty influential to the politics at the time.

I laughed out loud at Beverly sprinting away from the mailbox
Old 05-04-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There is no way Beverly would have gotten that letter back in any given situation.
Old 05-04-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This day in Star Wars history: 05.04.79 The fan-coined "May the Fourth Be With You" slogan gets its first major boost of exposure when the London Evening News uses it in a half-page congratulatory note to Margaret Thatcher, who had just won to become Britain's first woman prime minister (starwars.com)
Old 05-04-17, 11:20 AM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by DWilson
As I recall, "The Day After" was an "all-in-one" Sunday night broadcast, -2 1/2 hours (not the now-common Three). I recorded it on my VCR and saved it for a few days because my girlfriend at the time missed it and wanted to see it. I don't think I've watched it since.

Note: I looked it up on IMDB. They mentioned that the original broadcast was followed by a half-hour discussion (which I don't recall). The film was intended as a two-part "four hour" "event" but was pared down to 127 minutes. Apparently there have been a few different edits available for the home video market.
I must have mis-remembered.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.