Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lethal Weapon (FOX) -- S: Wayans, Crawford -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/21/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lethal Weapon (FOX) -- S: Wayans, Crawford -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/21/16

Old 09-21-16, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Lethal Weapon
adult photo sharing

PARTNERS IN CRIME ON THE ALL-NEW SERIES PREMIERE OF "LETHAL WEAPON" WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, ON FOX

Grief-stricken after the loss of his young wife and unborn child, ex-Navy SEAL-turned-detective MARTIN RIGGS (Clayne Crawford, "Rectify") moves to California to "start over" at the LAPD. He's paired up with ROGER MURTAUGH (Emmy Award nominee Damon Wayans, "My Wife and Kids,"), who's just coming back to the job after a near-fatal heart attack. Riggs' penchant for diving headfirst into the line of fire immediately clashes with Murtaugh's prudent, by-the-book technique. It's clear from the moment they meet, this partnership could be lethal. But by the time their first investigation ends, Riggs realizes he may have found something worth living for - a partner and friend like Murtaugh. And even Murtaugh figures this arrangement might just work out after all. If only Riggs doesn't get them killed first in the all-new "Pilot" series premiere episode of LETHAL WEAPON airing Wednesday, Sept. 21 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (LET-101) (TV-14 L, S, V)

Cast: Damon Wayans, Sr. as Roger Murtaugh, Clayne Crawford as Martin Riggs, Jordana Brewster as Dr. Maureen "Mo" Cahill, Kevin Rahm as Captain Brooks Avery, Keesha Sharp as Trish Murtaugh

Guest Cast: Floriana Lima as Miranda Riggs, Toni Trucks as Det. Maria Torez, Sprague Grayden as Det. Genie Babcock, Gino Anthony Pesi as Daryl Hennicky, Peter Cortes as Oscar Alvarez, Adrian Bustamante as Uni, Tony Plana as Ronnie Delgado

This is from the creator and EP of the ABC series "Forever"

A positive review from USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...apon/90575034/

Entertainment Weekly gave it a C

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/20...-weapon-review

Ugh, this is a super crowded timeslot. The Goldbergs, Blindspot and Survivor and in a few weeks Arrow will be competing for eyes. If you don't have more than 2 tuners on your DVR, you'll have to watch some of these online not watch at all.

Doing only 1 thread because this may not get a lot of eyes on it the night it airs and in future weeks.
Old 09-21-16, 09:03 AM

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Lethal Weapon (FOX) -- S: Wayans, Crawford -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/21/1

This is getting a pass from me. There is no way this anything more than Lethal Weapon in name only. Previews look crappy. When Wayans referred to the show is "My With with Guns", that pretty much sealed it for me.
Old 09-21-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Lethal Weapon (FOX) -- S: Wayans, Crawford -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/21/1

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

This is from the creator and EP of the ABC series "Forever"
Given the type of show this is, it may be more informative to say the man behind season 2 of Human Target. That ought to get a lot of fans.
Old 09-21-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm DVR'ing only due to the name and Wayans. I haven't read or seen much about it. Won't be going in expecting to be blown away.
Old 09-21-16, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much better than I expected. Check it out.
Old 09-21-16, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I watched it during my lunch break tonight and thought that it was surprisingly good. Crawford and Wayans have great Chemistry.
Old 09-22-16, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah that was surprisingly pretty good. Good action and comedy. Wayans and Crawford made Murtaugh and Riggs their own without imitating Glover and Gibson. They played off each other really well.

Anyone notice that Shane Black also had a co-writing credit? Thought that was interesting. The story was nothing like the movie, so he must have had some involvement creating the script.

The backstory of Riggs and his dead wife was never explored in the movie. Thought that was an interesting take on it and that his father in law helped him get the job with the LAPD.

My concern for future weeks is that this may get buried and unwatched because it's such a crowded time slot. I did check the Lethal Weapon Facebook and was expecting this to get torn to shreads, but the comments were overwhelmingly positive.

I'm guessing that Jordana Brewster's psychologist character is being groomed as a potential future love interest for Riggs.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-22-16 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-22-16, 06:42 AM

If he got credit beyond characters based on, it was probably out of respect or something. Unless they remade the first movie.

With Shane Black being so critical to the original movie, what will it mean for the future of Lethal Weapon as a television series?

Black had this to say on the matter of how he felt about the show.

“I wish them well. I have no interest in it. I don’t see it being particularly edgy as a TV show. I think it will be more comedy and that doesn’t interest me. That said, I like the guy who is doing it. I think he is funny. Maybe it will succeed as television. I wish them well. It’s just not the kind of thing I’d want to be involved in.”
Old 09-22-16, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, surprise, surprise, surprise....this was actually GOOD.

I was worried about listening to Crawford's thick Texas accent every week after that opening scene, but he seemed to tone it down after moving to LA.

What was the "sad" music played throughout? I know that's from something else, I just can't place it.

Is the police captain named after Avery Brooks?

Is this the first network series to feature a subplot about getting a BJ?
Old 09-22-16, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Very watchable, will tune in again. I thought it has a lot of similar themes and feel as the movie.

The two leads were good.
Old 09-22-16, 09:11 AM

Ugh... don't tempt me to watch this, guys.
Old 09-22-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, i came in to see how much of a train wreck this was. damn it, now i may have to check this out.
Old 09-22-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like I'll be watching the taped episode!
Old 09-22-16, 10:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was pleasantly surprised... Will keep watching, for now.
Old 09-22-16, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Count me in as another that thought it was decent. The car chase was a little too over the top, but I enjoyed the rest. I'm in for a few episodes at least.
Old 09-22-16, 11:17 AM

Group me with everyone else about being surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

I like the different aspects they're adding to the characters.

The show obviously has to last long enough now so we can find out if Roger gets his 60th birthday present.
Old 09-22-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Keith6601 View Post
Group me with everyone else about being surprised at how much I enjoyed it
Yeah I went in thinking it would just be a total train wreck but it was a decent buddy cop tv show. It helps that they just went with the general vibe of the characters vs how Rush Hour tried way too hard to clone Chris Tucker.

of course I will still whine in classic internet hater mode of it being yet another Hollywood "we are out of ideas" re-boot of an old franchise. Shows like The Player or Almost Human can't seem to find traction so they roll out another re-boot.

but over all, decent ep for a pilot. I feel dirty for liking a re-boot and feeding into the whole "Look can we just find something to re-boot!?" side of Hollywood.
Old 09-22-16, 12:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am giddy that so many people actually enjoyed this show...I was already more than willing to give it a chance, but even I was pleasantly surprised at how things turned out. Also, yeah...any worries about the chemistry between Wayans and Crawford have been put to rest. Even the family scenes worked.

I did chuckle at the preview showing the police captain putting up a running tally of how much money the antics of Murtaugh and Riggs are costing the department/city. As long as they do not completely run every single joke into the ground I am on board.

I need to read the EW review...they gave it a C, and I was like huh...what?, after watching it last night because as a pilot it was a win. Maybe they had issues with the implied BJ jokes? Anyway, easy enough to read their darn review.

Edit: Read the review, and it just comes off as a review from someone who is very indifferent to this show existing. I have read much more savage reviews for films and shows that only achieved a C rating.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 09-22-16 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-22-16, 01:01 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I actually thought this was fun. At the end of the day, it comes down to the two leads, and I enjoyed their chemistry.

I recently caught some of the Point Break remake on HBO and couldn't help but notice how that movie completely missed the point of what made the original work. The makers of this Lethal Weapon reboot at least seem to understand why the original films worked and manage to come up with something that hits those beats, but also isn't a paint-by-numbers clone. It's not exactly innovative, but it was an entertaining take on a popular formula and I'll keep watching to see how it goes.
Old 09-22-16, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Figure I watch this show on Amazon Prime before it ends in a few days, I really enjoyed it.
Old 09-22-16, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It was decent. Not rush hour terrible thankfully, but not spectacular either. But it has potential. I have always liked Wayans, so i was happy he was good in this. I will probably keep watching.
Old 09-22-16, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not bad at all. I was entertained the entire time.
Old 09-22-16, 08:50 PM

Solid, funny, just the right amount of sadness/drama for us. Wife and I agree we like this portrayal of Riggs WAAAY more than Gibson's, and we loved the 80’s/90’s version of Lethal Weapon. Waylon did a good job, too, and love the twist of Riggs's father in law looking out for him. On our regular watch list now.
Old 09-22-16, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga

I was wondering about the omission of Rianne Murtaugh, but I'm guessing the inclusion of a baby gives Riggs a chance to experience the child he didn't get to have.
Old 09-23-16, 08:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I skipped it, but will give it a go based on some of the unexpected positive feedback the pilot received (including this forum ). Interesting FOX chose not to air an encore presentation of the pilot at all. Easy enough to catch it streaming I suppose.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.