DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Three Days of Terror: The Charlie Hebdo Attacks (HBO) -- Documentary on Paris Attacks (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/637404-three-days-terror-charlie-hebdo-attacks-hbo-documentary-paris-attacks.html)

DJariya 09-20-16 02:31 AM

Three Days of Terror: The Charlie Hebdo Attacks (HBO) -- Documentary on Paris Attacks

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/file..._27x40_v91.jpg

Emmy nominated filmmaker Dan Reed chronicles the January 2015 terrorist attacks in France through real-time footage, photographs and first-person recollections.

Did anyone see this documentary tonight? If you have HBO or access to HBO Go, it's a must watch. Really intense account of the Paris terrorist attacks from 2015. They only covered a portion of it, but it was riveting TV.

Just bone chilling seeing some of the stuff they chronicled including the security camera footage and seeing people getting shot. It's from the same filmmaker who made the Terror in Mumbai and Terror in the Mall documentaries that also aired on HBO.

The hair on the back of my neck stood up after listening to all the 1st hand accounts in the film.

Astrofan 09-20-16 12:22 PM

Re: Three Days of Terror: The Charlie Hebdo Attacks (HBO) -- Documentary on Paris Att

Why do people want to watch this? What good does it do?

Coral 09-20-16 02:49 PM

Re: Three Days of Terror: The Charlie Hebdo Attacks (HBO) -- Documentary on Paris Att

Originally Posted by Astrofan (Post 12903224)
Why do people want to watch this? What good does it do?

I guess you don't watch any documentaries on any world events unless it's happy?

DJariya 09-20-16 04:32 PM

:shrug: I thought it was a great film even though it's about a horrible incident where many lives were lost.

Dan Reed's last 2 HBO films as I mentioned were also about 2 tragic terrorist incidents in India and Africa.

Yes TV for the most part is supposed to be entertainment and keep your mind of dark world news incidents like the Paris attacks. But, seeing something like this also helps reinforce that there is still danger out there wherever you may be in the world.

The terrorist who attacked the Jewish grocery store in the film said in it before he was killed that there's many more of him out there. Kind of a chilling epilogue.

Astrofan 09-20-16 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 12903319)
I guess you don't watch any documentaries on any world events unless it's happy?

The is not remotely true. What special information am I gaining watching this? There are monsters among us and thanks to technology we get to watch them kill people. Oh boy.

DJariya 09-20-16 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Astrofan (Post 12903452)
The is not remotely true. What special information am I gaining watching this? There are monsters among us and thanks to technology we get to watch them kill people. Oh boy.

It's obvious the subject matter of this film sounds very unpleasant to you and I understand why you're being dismissive of it.

But, I think this film and the others I mentioned do have value. Yes, it's a very dark documentary. But, I think it did make a good presentation about the victims in this tragedy and not make them a forgotten statistic. Same with what happened during 9/11. There were 10 people who died at the Charlie Hebdo offices and these guys were talented writers, cartoonists and family men. Unfortunately 2 twisted individuals with twisted beliefs took their lives. We learned a little about the other victims at the grocery store later in the film. There was some violence in the film from the security footage, but nothing was shown in a sadistic manner like a snuff film. It was edited very carefully. Real life documentaries like this probably aren't for everyone, but it's definitely not worthless re-visiting this incident and learning more about it.

Astrofan 09-21-16 11:18 AM

That's very well put. For me the news is awful enough and this event, like 9/11, is just something I don't wish to revisit.

Coral 09-21-16 09:16 PM

I watched this tonight.

I thought it was well done and was very informative. There were many aspects of this event that I wasn't aware of.

I welcome more documentaries like this.