Reload this Page >

This Is Us (NBC) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/20/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

This Is Us (NBC) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/20/16

Old 01-30-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: This Is Us (NBC) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/20/16

I've been recording this since the pilot but never got around to watching it while waiting for the wife to be in the mood, and we ended up catching up on all 13 or so episodes over the last 2 weeks. Enjoyed it quite a bit, even as manipulative as it is with the slow character reveals. I can see it getting old for a second season, but so far it's still working.

The guy playing Randall has been damn impressive.
Old 02-01-17, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 222 Likes on 196 Posts

Was the January 31st episode always scheduled to be a repeat?
Old 02-01-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Was the January 31st episode always scheduled to be a repeat?
I was at a meeting last night and when I came home I checked my DVR and saw that repeat was recorded. I checked online and it seems like the repeat was just sudden.

http://heavy.com/entertainment/2017/...edule-tonight/
Old 02-01-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the Trump press conference for Supreme Court Justice caused a cascade effect of pre-emptions...
Old 02-10-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like they aired the preempted episode in it's normal time slot. Not sure how that effects when they were going to normally week episodes or end the season.

Turns out maybe they could have skipped this one. Only thing that happened that could have a lasting impact is Randall choosing the chess tournament and basically getting demoted. That and making Kate even more unlikable. Really hard lately to believe that isn't their goal here.
Old 02-10-17, 10:08 AM

It was a filler episode.
Old 02-10-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anyone know how many episodes are left? I'm trying to decide if I want to finish the season. If it's close to the end, I probably will.
Old 02-10-17, 12:55 PM

Received 814 Likes on 530 Posts

Did we watch the same episode? There was soooo much more to this episode than that.

The episode was all about coming together and tearing apart... many gears were turning in this episode:

- Miguel and Shelly announcing their divorce; Jack's confrontating Miguel and Miguel's explanation causing Jack to plan the "escape" for he and Rebecca and them remembering their vows.

- Beth playing the "I Call Marriage" card when Randall is trying to distance himself from his dad and the chess tournament, which ultimately leads to Randall's "demotion" (or rather, his boss played the blunt "you need to spend more time with your family" card by splitting his clients with Sanjay); where to me it seems that Randall is distancing himself from people and trying to battle his dependence on others (thus increasing his indepence)... then with his shaking hand at the end, that's just going to add to the drama.

- Kevin trying to reconnect with Sophia... and the reveal of him cheating on her... and how he swears he's a changed person.

- ... and now we see Kate maybe distancing herself from Toby and possibly falling for Duke "The Dick"'s advances, thus cheating on him.

There was a lot more going on in this ep than just filler. Sure, it might not have been in an in your face reveal, but it certainly tugged at a few heart strings for me:

- Kevin's recounting of how he met Sophia why he needed the booth
- Rebecca defending Jack to her bandmate
- Jack's rekindling the romance with Rebecca in the face of his friend's divorce
- Randall's shaking hand adding to the list of issues he has... maybe one too many issues

Anyways, this is the most I've written about a show in a long time... and I'm excited to see what they are going to do next.

Old 02-10-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
Does anyone know how many episodes are left? I'm trying to decide if I want to finish the season. If it's close to the end, I probably will.
4 episodes left
Old 02-10-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
4 episodes left
Thanks!
Old 02-10-17, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Did we watch the same episode? There was soooo much more to this episode than that.

The episode was all about coming together and tearing apart... many gears were turning in this episode:

- Miguel and Shelly announcing their divorce; Jack's confrontating Miguel and Miguel's explanation causing Jack to plan the "escape" for he and Rebecca and them remembering their vows.

- Beth playing the "I Call Marriage" card when Randall is trying to distance himself from his dad and the chess tournament, which ultimately leads to Randall's "demotion" (or rather, his boss played the blunt "you need to spend more time with your family" card by splitting his clients with Sanjay); where to me it seems that Randall is distancing himself from people and trying to battle his dependence on others (thus increasing his indepence)... then with his shaking hand at the end, that's just going to add to the drama.

- Kevin trying to reconnect with Sophia... and the reveal of him cheating on her... and how he swears he's a changed person.

- ... and now we see Kate maybe distancing herself from Toby and possibly falling for Duke "The Dick"'s advances, thus cheating on him.

There was a lot more going on in this ep than just filler. Sure, it might not have been in an in your face reveal, but it certainly tugged at a few heart strings for me:

- Kevin's recounting of how he met Sophia why he needed the booth
- Rebecca defending Jack to her bandmate
- Jack's rekindling the romance with Rebecca in the face of his friend's divorce
- Randall's shaking hand adding to the list of issues he has... maybe one too many issues

Anyways, this is the most I've written about a show in a long time... and I'm excited to see what they are going to do next.

I thought it was filler as well, but nope, you got me, thanks for the good summary, I guess a lot did go on.

Hoping Kate just tells the shmuck to kiss off in the next ep... don't like seeing Toby get shafted again
Old 02-10-17, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted earlier about Randall. I agree that was a big deal.

I also agree about how Miguel was single, and how close the couples were, when Jack dies.

But the rest? Meh. Could have been briefly handled as part of the previous, far better, episodes. If I'm not alone here, the key is this was the first lesser episode. Given how outstanding the others have been it really stuck out.
Old 02-10-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm with Goldberg74.

One of the only slight irritations I've had with this show is the way they've portrayed the "perfect" husband, which is basically to take it ad infinitum. It can work, but it often leads to someone not respecting you if you don't stand up for yourself. But this episode went a long way for me in that while I still don't think "taking it" defines "perfect husband", at least we see that Rebecca appreciates it. That elevated her in my eyes.

And that was just one aspect of the episode.

As for Kate, we have to cut her a little slack. This is a girl who is basically 13 in terms of romantic relationships. She has very little dating experience. She went from being rejected as a kid and not really having many friends (and being in her brother's shadow) to being an adult who was in her brother's shadow and revolved her life around his.

If you asked her, "What do you want in a husband," I'm not sure she could answer, even though she had a "perfect" example growing up. Toby's cool because he's nice and they have fun (in private). But is he the person she wants to father her (potential) children and teach them to be adults? Is he the person she wants to accompany her as she gets more serious about her own life out from under Kevin's shadow? Maybe. But maybe not. There are many things she hasn't thought of simply because she doesn't know to think of them. So she's on shaky ground when she's presented with new options. To what degree did she accept spending life with Toby because it's the only option being presented? And in her mind, possibly the only one coming anytime soon? And again, it doesn't hurt that he's nice, fun, and persistent.

As for what Randall's going through, I've lived that. There's no right or wrong answer, but it's killer when you work hard for success, then make decisions you know will cause you to lose some of it -- possibly irreparably. If he earns commissions on accounts he brings in and/or manages, it's saying a lot beyond loss of "face" to lose half your accounts. I'd imagine he has traditionally had a nice base, but made quite a bit above that in commissions. It'll be interesting to see what's bring on the hand shaking.

Kevin's pursuit of his ex-wife (and his sisters former best friend)? It's touching if true. Kevin has traditional been a shallow person, so it's difficult to know if this is just his latest fascination or a true epiphany for him. What happens if he gets her, they experience difficulty (or just boredom) and he gets a new big role and starts having increased female attention again? Does it stick? I can't say we know the answer to that at this point, so I can't totally root for him. But there's one thing I will say... having a history with a person can be a powerful thing. It's even more powerful if you both actually appreciate it.

"Filler" needs to go on the shelf with "Jump the shark" as overused phrases.

As a previous watcher of Parenthood who was sorry to see it go because of what it represented, I've been quite pleased that we have This Is Us to replace it.
Old 02-15-17, 09:58 AM

Received 4,680 Likes on 3,168 Posts

This fucking show...
Old 02-15-17, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
This fucking show...
I hear you
Old 02-15-17, 10:27 AM

Rough ep indeed.
Old 02-15-17, 10:27 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

So, does Jack die in a DWI?
Old 02-15-17, 11:04 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 589 Likes on 337 Posts

Lots going on in this episode, but the fact that Kate was thrown out of fat camp really bothered me. Who cares if Dickhead is the owner's son? Sue the place for sexual harrassment. No way that guy would get away with that behavior for very long.

Randall's family needs to wake up realize that he can't do everything. I guess they don't care if they have an income?

It was nice that Kevin ran to Randall's aid, but leaving right before the play started? On opening night? With family and NYTimes reviewers attending? Stupid, stupid, stupid. He should have called emergency services to check on Randall instead, or go to one of his family members right there in the audience and have them do something.

I agree with TGM - I think Jack dies in a DWI.
Old 02-15-17, 11:29 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman
It was nice that Kevin ran to Randall's aid, but leaving right before the play started? On opening night? With family and NYTimes reviewers attending? Stupid, stupid, stupid. He should have called emergency services to check on Randall instead, or go to one of his family members right there in the audience and have them do something.

agree, such a weak move. He was clearly looking for a reason, any reason to bail on the play... lucky for him, it just happened to be a very altruistic one. if that scene was supposed to endear me to his character it failed miserably.
Old 02-15-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I mentioned this to my wife. I think we're supposed to think, "What a great brother," but I couldn't go all-in on that moment because of how he handled it. Even in a moment of trying to do something honorable, he was extremely selfish about how he did it.
Old 02-15-17, 12:17 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

the more I'm thinking about it, dying in a drunken car wreck it too easy and obvious. too telegraphed at this point.

I'm starting to think... suicide.
Old 02-15-17, 01:30 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 589 Likes on 337 Posts

Maybe it's Lupus.
Old 02-15-17, 02:09 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

apparently the flashback part of that episode with Jack and the fight took place in 1996.

there was speculation that Jack died in 9/11, but the kids ages at his funeral didn't quite add up.

I also thought maybe the original 1993 WTC attack bombing, but that is clearly not the case. Maybe he faked his death! YEAH!
Old 02-15-17, 10:20 PM

Received 814 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
apparently the flashback part of that episode with Jack and the fight took place in 1996.
Jurassic Park came out in 1993... where are you pulling the 1996 reference from?
Old 02-16-17, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,143 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
the more I'm thinking about it, dying in a drunken car wreck it too easy and obvious. too telegraphed at this point.

I'm starting to think... suicide.
I am thinking aneurysm. No reason. Just a guess.

I am also thinking of dumping this show. It just just to saccharine for my taste. I want to like it and while the fat girl's story is the most interesting to me, the show just try to tug at the heartstrings waaaaay too often. It's getting old at this point with Jack being a bonafide angel and the kids with their manufactured sugary but teary drama, week after week.

I don't watch a lot of TV dramas usually so maybe this is how they all are?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.