Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

This Is Us (NBC) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/20/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

This Is Us (NBC) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/20/16

Old 03-15-17, 11:39 AM

Received 818 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: This Is Us (NBC) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/20/16

When Jack was driving to the club, the registration on his car was set to expire in 1996.
Old 03-15-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This show.... WHAT A TWIST!
Old 03-15-17, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
His father calls him a 28-year-old loser, so I'd guess.... 28 He had already been to Nam and back by the time they met each other.

I was so sure he was going to die this episode. Then it got me thinking... what if we don't find out how he dies until the last episode of the series??

Well this is interesting, Sterling K Brown is married to the African American mother who helps Jack out in raising Randall and tell him about hair and pool and has him over for playdates (Randall, not Jack).
I'm thinking that might happen. But the EPs might not want to drag out the reveal because they know some viewers would get fed up and might ditch the show.
Old 03-15-17, 06:04 PM

Received 4,685 Likes on 3,173 Posts

But the show isn't a mystery about how a guy died. Fans are the ones building this up more than it needs to be.
Old 03-15-17, 06:17 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 403 Likes on 252 Posts

Given how it played out in the season finale, I doubt Jack will die due to his drinking. They won't go to that well again.

my vote now is that he dies a hero's death (no pun intended), likely trying to foil a convenience store robbery or something... and he was only there in the first place because Kate needed something. Full circle as he was once the guy who considered doing the robbing.
Old 03-15-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also was waiting for him to die the entire episode

I think he's going to die in a mid season finale. In the second or third season.

They now people are waiting for that, so they need to deliver. The show is not about how Jack died, but it can become a distraction, for viewers and writers, so better to have that sooner.
Old 03-16-17, 12:17 AM

They've already shown where he died. They visited a huge tree along the side of a road. He most definitely hits that tree whether he's driving or Kate or is forced off the road by someone else. The question is why does she feel responsible for his death.
Old 03-16-17, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryW
They've already shown where he died. They visited a huge tree along the side of a road. He most definitely hits that tree whether he's driving or Kate or is forced off the road by someone else. The question is why does she feel responsible for his death.
Did they though? I remember William visiting a park with Jack's favorite tree where they scattered Jack's ashes.
I think either heroe's death or sad Jack suicide so they don't talk about it. They definitely teased a death with the funeral teasers in the promo.
Old 03-16-17, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Spoiler:
Would it make sense for his death to be suicide if Kate feels for responsible for his death? If it was a suicide, I don't think Kate wouldn't have been the only person so terribly affected in the family.

Why are Randall and Kevin financially and physically successful, and Kate isn't? My guess is that Kate is unable to lose all that body fat and overall insecurity because she's unfairly blaming herself for her father's death. Until she forgives herself, she won't be able to lose that fat. Besides Toby, it doesn't seem like she's told anyone else in her family that she feels responsible.

I guess my problem with the show is there's not much depth to the characters, besides Randall and William. For a show called, "This Is Us," there's not much to the other major characters. I'm not exactly sure what Kevin's "problem" is. I really don't care for him. What else is there to Kate beside her weight loss problem? Do the present Pearsons have any friends? There are some good moments, sure, but I'm puzzled at how highly regarded this show became.

(Also, for a show called, "This Is Us," most people seem too fixated on how and why
Spoiler:
Jack died.)
Old 03-16-17, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 172 Posts

I saw an interview with the showrunner and he said they already have the whole show planned out in a general sense and that they'll reveal the death when it makes sense on the show and that they definitely have in mind not frustrating the viewer too much by stringing them along too long.
Old 03-16-17, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EinCB
I'm puzzled at how highly regarded this show became.
Obviously, different strokes for different folks.

I'm not clear what you mean by Kevin's "problem". His situation is that he's finally made inroads with the woman he says is his true love, and now his career is providing him a great opportunity across the country in LA. Should he pursue that opportunity (putting space between them during a fragile time in their relationship), or stay where he is?

As for Kate and her weight issues, they haven't hit every nook and cranny of her personality in this abbreviated S1, but they've covered quite a bit with her subordinate relationship to Kevin and then her subsequent relationship with Toby. In fact, I think they've fleshed out the character quite a bit, going back to her childhood and how weight played a part in her psychological formation.

I also am a bit let down with the fan focus on how Jack died. I wish fans would just let them tell the story they want to tell, but I've read enough forums to know that people really do drop shows in a huff over stuff like that. The positive thing is even once we see it, it need not significantly change the show because of the way the show is structured (we can still have the flashbacks).
Old 03-16-17, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by MikahC
As for Kate and her weight issues, they haven't hit every nook and cranny of her personality in this abbreviated S1, but they've covered quite a bit with her subordinate relationship to Kevin and then her subsequent relationship with Toby. In fact, I think they've fleshed out the character quite a bit, going back to her childhood and how weight played a part in her psychological formation.
I don't disagree, but 18 episodes is hardly "abbreviated." And the two subsequent seasons will be the same episode count.
Old 03-16-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So basically this show pulled a TWG Glenn/Dumpster troll. Very disappointing. And just like I thought it would, Kate's line about feeling responsible for his death is either more BS that makes her even more unlikable, or was just thrown out there to help the DUI troll work.

But now she's wants to be a singer. That character is really the only thing bringing down this show assuming they don't pull more DUI stunts next season.
Old 03-16-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think 18 EPs is the right amount for a network show like this.

This has been renewed for 2 more seasons, I believe, so they can plot out this next path pretty nice.

Fight scene was intense, not the usual lovey dovy moments this ep, they did a great job with the makeup and lighting to great effect in the flash backs to the younger selves, I didn't love the robbing the bar storyline, but I did like the fact it was his big break meeting her. How does she let him walk out the door after that??

Milo mentioned in ew mag, that the chevell is actually his car.

I think this was the first reveal that he was in Vietnam, that will add some pretty good fuel to the next few seasons. I don't have a problem with the slightly jumbled ages, I treat it like an episode of the goldbergs, 70s, 80s, 90s and present, the specific years aren't a big deal, more of an era thing.

Solid season finale, would be tough to top the trip to Nashville ep anyway...

Best new show of the year for me.
Old 03-16-17, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I mean, come on, the show has been filled with M.Night level plot twist from the pilot. So them heavily hinting at drunk driving death was clearly not going to happen. I enjoyed it. besides, this show would be pretty cruel to kill off two fathers in one season.
Old 03-16-17, 11:18 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Did they though? I remember William visiting a park with Jack's favorite tree where they scattered Jack's ashes.
I think either heroe's death or sad Jack suicide so they don't talk about it. They definitely teased a death with the funeral teasers in the promo.
Agreed. I think that tree was just a location Jack liked to visit and not necessarily where he died. At least that's how I read into it. No clue how he dies. I don't know if the plane crash theory was disproven already - I know that came up some weeks back.
Old 03-19-17, 07:29 AM

Rebecca probably needed to be at least 21 to sing at the bar where she first meets Jack making her 7 years younger than him. The strange thing to me is they waited 8 years to have kids. Unless there were others they lost.

I liked the Ron Howard cameo especially since he directed the original Parenthood film that the series was based on and now compared to this show.
Old 06-07-17, 02:02 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rqGSTttild0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-07-17, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

billy on the street seems... um.. yeah, that felt awkward
Old 06-07-17, 05:47 PM

Received 818 Likes on 533 Posts

Yeah... that got uncomfortable really quick.