TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Kevin Can Wait (CBS) -- S: Kevin James -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-17, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
re: Kevin Can Wait (CBS) -- S: Kevin James -- Series Thread

Originally Posted by Noonan
If they were to go that route, would the rest of the cast be sacrificed and replaced to fit the scenario?
Only his brother would be safe...
Old 06-07-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
If they were to go that route, would the rest of the cast be sacrificed and replaced to fit the scenario?
They could be other people outside of the dream... the way Dorothy's farmhands were the tin man, scarecrow and cowardly lion.
Old 06-07-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I loved it on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air when they switched actresses for the Aunt Vivian character​ and everyone, other than Jazz, acted as if everything was normal.

They can have a character ask Kevin James how are "the wife and kids" and he can say, "what wife and kids?"
Old 06-07-17, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Curious to why this thread keeps getting bump, and I see what the hoopla is about. Never watched the show... only saw commercials and trailers and it didn't look very good.

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I loved it on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air when they switched actresses for the Aunt Vivian character​ and everyone, other than Jazz, acted as if everything was normal.
They should just do what they did on Fresh Prince... replace the wife with another actress who people like. They can still use Remini as a crutch by having her in every episode. Making a character/life disappear is dumb. Which coincidentally what King of Queens did with Carrie's sister - all of a sudden she became Chuck Cunnignham. They did a similar thing with Richie... gone from the show and never mentioned again (although not as obvious).
Old 06-09-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they ditch Chell maybe I'll try to tune in again - lasted about 5-6 eps at the start of the season but that daughter's boyfriend was so annoying and so prominently featured I had to bail.
Old 06-10-17, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcnabb
What's interesting about KOQ is how well it does in syndication and has lasted compared to never cracking the top 15 during its initial run. Seinfeld, Friends and KOQ are the only 90's shows that are still on the big syndication networks like TBS and CW. I think Year 3,4,5, and 6 is when the show was at its peak.
I am also a HUGE KOQ fan, one of my favorite sitcoms of all time. To me, KOQ followed the same path of many, many sitcoms. First season was so-so, second much better, then it really hit its stride in seasons 3-5. But then it started slipping, and by the end it was almost unwatchable, even for someone like me who is a huge fan. When I watch the repeats on TVLAND, I stop watching when they get to season 6, and then pick it back up when they start over again...
Old 08-01-17, 01:53 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Kevin Can Wait Shocker: Erinn Hayes' Donna Will Be Killed Off
http://tvline.com/2017/08/01/kevin-c...hayes-leaving/
Old 08-01-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Kevin Can Wait Shocker: Erinn Hayes' Donna Will Be Killed Off
http://tvline.com/2017/08/01/kevin-c...hayes-leaving/
That'll be about as funny as anything else on that show
Old 08-01-17, 03:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

so it's basically The King of Queens 2.0? i saw her guest star, but had no idea Leah would take over. seems weird to me...
Old 09-25-17, 06:31 AM

Re: Kevin Can Wait (CBS) -- S: Kevin James -- Series Thread

KEVIN RUSHES TO THROW KENDRA THE PERFECT WEDDING WITH VANESSA'S HELP WHEN CHALE IS ABOUT TO BE DEPORTED, ON THE SECOND SEASON PREMIERE OF "KEVIN CAN WAIT," MONDAY, SEPT. 25

Leah Remini Joins the Cast as Vanessa Cellucci

Jim Breuer Returns as Father Phillip

"Civil Ceremony" - Kendra and Chale must get married immediately when the Gables learn that he is about to be deported. As Kevin chases down Father Phillip (Jim Breuer)
to officiate the ceremony, Vanessa helps Kendra put together the last-minute affair, on the second season premiere of KEVIN CAN WAIT, Monday, Sept. 25 (9:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Leah Remini joins the cast as Vanessa Cellucci, and Jim Breuer returns as Father Phillip.

REGULAR CAST:
Kevin James (Kevin Gable)
Leah Remini (Vanessa Cellucci)
Taylor Spreitler (Kendra Gable)
Mary-Charles Jones (Sara Gable)
James DiGiacomo (Jack Gable)
Ryan Cartwright (Chale)
Gary Valentine (Kyle)
Leonard Earl Howze (Goody)

RECURRING CAST:
Jim Breuer (Father Phillip)

GUEST CAST:
Bill Dawes (Robert)
Alex J. Moreno (Plumber)

WRITTEN BY: Michael Loftus, Pete Correale and Peter Hoare
DIRECTED BY: Andy Fickman
Old 09-25-17, 09:15 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

No mention of killing off the wife, nice. Good job CBS! Maybe the older viewers won't remember he was married?
Old 09-25-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was really hoping Donna and Chale died together in a car crash
Old 09-25-17, 11:03 AM

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
No mention of killing off the wife, nice. Good job CBS! Maybe the older viewers won't remember he was married?
Considering the average age of a CBS viewer, there is a very real possibility that they will not remember he was married.

I just dissed myself...as I consume a ton of CBS TV content.
Old 09-25-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

They mentioned the wife within the first minute of the show. When he was checking the mail and he saw her gym membership renewal the daughter said she died a year ago... Then she was mentioned again later on when Kevin was talking to the daughter before they got married.
Old 09-26-17, 07:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I couldn't make it through 15 mins...
Old 09-26-17, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I couldn't make it through 15 mins...
The funny thing is that I am 15 minutes in and I agree that it is not a good show. It was an okay at best show before, but now it is just straight up bad tv. I think this attempt to reboot the show into King Of Queens 2.0 or whatever they are going for is a fail.

It might get cancelled this season because yeah...the tv landscape is not like it was even just 10 years back and I think there will be some viewer erosion that puts this show at risk while maybe a blah show like this could have squeezed out 3-6 seasons when there was less to watch/stream back in the day.

Okay, not going to adjust what I said above, but I did just hit tvbythenumbers and Kevin Can Wait's ratings were actually solid...ughhh. I am either going to keep watching as background filler while I futz about on my tablet or do the right thing and delete the season pass, good ratings aside.
Old 09-27-17, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm confused why they couldn't have both women. Is it the plan to have the Kevin and Leah characters eventually hook up? Budget reasons?
Old 09-27-17, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I hope this show tanks (and I say this as a huge King of Queens fan), as it just never sat well with me how everything went down. And I honestly don't know how many people want King of Queens 2 at this point as you can never capture the magic of these original shows in their prime.
Old 09-27-17, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved Erinn Hayes, but even with her, this show is only okay. Without her, I can't see it getting better. Loved KOQ, literally one of my favorite shows of all time, but this isn't KOQ 2.0. And I don't want to see Remini and James developing romantic chemistry.
Old 10-03-17, 03:14 PM

So clearly the showrunners thought that last season something was lacking and obviously Erinn Hayes (who I miss on the show) bore the brunt of their decision to "pivot" and try something else this season, but yeesh...this show commits the cardinal sin of a sitcom, and that is not that it is bad (plenty of "bad" sitcoms have thrived on the air, and I have enjoyed quite a few of them), it is that it is as bland/fun to watch as it is to eat toast with no butter.

The spark/pop that Remini was supposed to bring to the table is just not there yet, although there is still time to salvage the season, but they better hurry.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 10-03-17 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-04-17, 10:01 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I enjoyed Kevin James slapstick on the ride at the end, with the alternating panic and blackouts, I actually laughed out loud, but the rest of the show was pretty bad.
Old 10-04-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you believe the dozens of blind items about KJ over the years, he is not a great guy and a bit of a tyrant on set. Supposedly he hated working with Erinn Hayes for whatever reason so when the opportunity to get Leah back came up, they decided to go in that direction. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but the blind items were saying they didn't get along months before any talk of the change in direction so there could be some truth to it. Much like all those stories about Stana Katic and Nathan Fillion.
Old 10-04-17, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I enjoyed Kevin James slapstick on the ride at the end, with the alternating panic and blackouts, I actually laughed out loud, but the rest of the show was pretty bad.
Yeah, that was pretty funny.. especially since recently one of my daughters went through the same experience. Her older sister recorded her on a ride in which she was blacking out. lol
Old 10-04-17, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
If you believe the dozens of blind items about KJ over the years, he is not a great guy and a bit of a tyrant on set. Supposedly he hated working with Erinn Hayes for whatever reason so when the opportunity to get Leah back came up, they decided to go in that direction. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but the blind items were saying they didn't get along months before any talk of the change in direction so there could be some truth to it. Much like all those stories about Stana Katic and Nathan Fillion.
That could be true, but back when KOQ was on, there were a lot of BI about Remini and what a terror she was to work with on the set, and how James was the one that everyone loved.
Old 05-12-18, 06:11 PM

This got the axe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.