DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Rocky Horror Picture Show (FOX) S: Justice, McCartan, Cox -- premieres 10/20/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/637363-rocky-horror-picture-show-fox-s-justice-mccartan-cox-premieres-10-20-16-a.html)

dex14 09-16-16 11:36 AM

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (FOX) S: Justice, McCartan, Cox -- premieres 10/20/16

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/outmDIi29Bo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First 5 minutes/opening credits

<iframe width="600" height="338" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EcPBNWqzgcc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FOX is doing the Time Warp, with a brand-new production of the 1975 cult classic “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

A reimagining of the original movie, the two-hour event follows sweethearts JANET (Victoria Justice, “Victorious”) and BRAD (Ryan McCartan, “Liv & Maddie,” “Heathers the Musical”), who stumble upon DR. FRANK-N-FURTER’s (Emmy Award-nominated actress Laverne Cox, “Orange is the New Black”) bizarre abode. Frank-N-Furter, a sexually ambiguous, flirtatious mad-scientist, is holding an annual Transylvanian science convention to showcase the birth of ROCKY HORROR – a muscle-bound specimen created solely to fulfill Frank’s desires. Actor and singer Staz Nair (“Game of Thrones”) will star in the role. Also featured in the event are “American Idol” alum Adam Lambert as EDDIE, Reeve Carney (“Penny Dreadful,” “Spider-Man Turn Off the Dark”) as RIFF RAFF, Tony Award winner Annaleigh Ashford (“Sylvia,” “You Can’t Take It With You,” “Masters of Sex”) as COLUMBIA, Christina Milian (“Grandfathered”) as MAGENTA, Ivy Levan as USHERETTE, Tony Award winner Ben Vereen (“Pippin”) as DR. EVERETT SCOTT and Emmy Award nominee Tim Curry, the original Frank-N-Furter, as the show’s CRIMINOLOGIST NARRATOR.

Celebrating 40 years of theatrical distribution – longer than any other film in history – “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is one of the most popular films of all time, and still plays in movie theaters around the world.

THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW: Let’s Do the Time Warp Again is from Fox 21 Television Studios, Ode Sounds & Visuals and The Jackal Group. It is executive-produced by Lou Adler (Grammy Award winner, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee and executive producer of the original “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”), Gail Berman (“Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” former President of Fox Broadcasting Company) and Kenny Ortega (Emmy Award-winning director and choreographer, “High School Musical” franchise, “This Is It,” “Descendants,” “Hocus Pocus,” “Newsies”). Ortega also directs and choreographs, along with Tony Testa. THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW: Let’s Do the Time Warp Again is based upon the original screenplay by Jim Sharman and Richard O’Brien with lyrics and music by Richard O’Brien.

“Like” THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW on Facebook at facebook.com/RockyHorrorFOX. Follow the series on Twitter @RockyHorrorFOX and join the discussion using #RockyHorror. See photos and videos on Instagram by following @RockyHorrorFOX/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1267299/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Abob Teff 09-16-16 11:52 PM

Re: The Rocky Horror Picture Show (FOX) S: Justice, McCartan, Cox -- premieres 10/20/

Hmmm ... Not sure about this ... Intrigued to see Laverne Cox in that role though.

5 minute video is already gone.

Crocker Jarmen 09-17-16 12:19 AM

Re: The Rocky Horror Picture Show (FOX) S: Justice, McCartan, Cox -- premieres 10/20/

Granted, the trailer is pretty short, but it looks too much like the original (down to Riff-Raff and Frank N Furter imitating the movie actor's voices). If you're going to re-make such a well-known thing you ought to make it radically different. If this is just going to be a big budget Rocky Horror karaoke what's the point?

Count Dooku 09-17-16 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 12901041)
Granted, the trailer is pretty short, but it looks too much like the original (down to Riff-Raff and Frank N Furter imitating the movie actor's voices). If you're going to re-make such a well-known thing you ought to make it radically different. If this is just going to be a big budget Rocky Horror karaoke what's the point?

I think the Rocky Horror epsiode of Glee was one its most popular, so FOX can safely figure there is an appetite for it. If the production is anything like Grease (dynamic, inventive) compared to the ultra-boring NBC stage shows, then I think it will be a success.

Count Dooku 09-17-16 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 12901028)
Hmmm ... Not sure about this ... Intrigued to see Laverne Cox in that role though.

A HUGE part of what made RHPS so exciting for its first 20 years and resonant with audiences for the last 20 years was that Frank was a man who desired other men sexually. And as portrayed by Tim Curry, Frank was himself a person to be desired.

Laverne Cox can play Frank as the same character that Curry did, but it (in my opinion) removes a lot of the power/meaning of the performance that the actor is an actress.

When I started seeing Rocky in the 80s, it was shocking to see a man pursue other men for sex. And the movie was like a litmus test for your attitudes about homosexuality. How many "virgins" were dragged to RHPS and left disgusted at Frank?

Even if she is playing a male character, Cox pursuing men for sex will not have the same power/meaning.

Of course, I do understand that homosexuality is not the taboo subject that it was 40 or 20 years ago.

Abob Teff 09-17-16 10:19 AM

I think that is why I am intrigued ... What is it that will be done to bring a different take to the character? You already have an actress who is known for playing a "gender bender" character (which does seem a bit stereotypical). Yes, it's a bold move and it could flop horribly or work magnificently.

My guess is they will stray more towards ambiguity of the character's gender rather than trying to play it on one side or the other.

I am proud of you guys so far though ... no complaints about race or stunt casting.

I do agree with Crocker -- I'm hoping this isn't just a shot for shot remake. I'm hoping the trailer was just playing off of an iconic moment of the original.

Count Dooku 09-17-16 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 12901123)
- I'm hoping this isn't just a shot for shot remake. I'm hoping the trailer was just playing off of an iconic moment of the original.

So I'm confused. Is this a movie or a live production?

windom 09-17-16 01:33 PM

Movie. Definitely not live.

banthafett 09-17-16 08:00 PM

This is going to suck. But I'm watching it for Victoria.

RichC2 09-17-16 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 12901110)
A HUGE part of what made RHPS so exciting for its first 20 years and resonant with audiences for the last 20 years was that Frank was a man who desired other men sexually. And as portrayed by Tim Curry, Frank was himself a person to be desired.

Laverne Cox can play Frank as the same character that Curry did, but it (in my opinion) removes a lot of the power/meaning of the performance that the actor is an actress.

When I started seeing Rocky in the 80s, it was shocking to see a man pursue other men for sex. And the movie was like a litmus test for your attitudes about homosexuality. How many "virgins" were dragged to RHPS and left disgusted at Frank?

Even if she is playing a male character, Cox pursuing men for sex will not have the same power/meaning.

Of course, I do understand that homosexuality is not the taboo subject that it was 40 or 20 years ago.

Having an actual transexual pursue men for sex IS the closest modern equivalent of homosexuality back then. So Cox is well suited, imho at least.

Paff 09-17-16 11:00 PM

I also like the casting of Laverne Cox. It's not often that you can take a taboo smashing part, and 40 years later still raise eyebrows with it (for a different reason). It reminds me of a local production of Cabaret I went to a few years ago; the emcee was played by an androgynous woman instead of a man.

Count Dooku 09-18-16 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12901434)
Having an actual transexual pursue men for sex IS the closest modern equivalent of homosexuality back then. So Cox is well suited, imho at least.

I guess I think of her as a female, but your point is well taken

wmansir 09-18-16 07:27 PM

Just found out about this from this thread and I had two initial responses. First was the usual 'another remake' eyeroll. Then I saw Cox was playing Frank N Furter and though it sounded a bit exploitative and stereotypical. Like someone at the network said "We got a popular tranny, what can we do with it?.. I know!" At a time when opponents of trans acceptance/rights often paint trans women as sexually perverted crossdressing men who are a danger to the general public it seems odd for one of the most visible public faces of trans women to play a sexually aggressive crossdressing man.

On the other hand it's certainly possible that Cox has strong personal feelings about the character/material that attracted her to the role.

DRG 09-19-16 08:57 AM

After the amazing job Fox did with the live Grease I was excited to see them try RHPS, but when I found out it was just a pretaped tv movie remake... seems like a wasted opportunity. And with Kenny Ortega at the helm I can't help but think it's gong to look very 'made for tv'.

dex14 10-20-16 07:40 AM

Airs tonight.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/btL-tQYLELs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DWilson 10-20-16 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 12901123)
I do agree with Crocker -- I'm hoping this isn't just a shot for shot remake. I'm hoping the trailer was just playing off of an iconic moment of the original.

They are adding an element that incorporates an "audience" watching RHPS as if it were a film, and doing the "interactive" portion, so in that way it will be different at the very least.

TheBigDave 10-20-16 08:40 AM

I liked that live version that was shown on BBC America last year. I'd buy it if they'd release it on Vudu.

The full live show is still available to watch on YouTube if anyone's interested:

Giantrobo 10-20-16 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 12926810)
They are adding an element that incorporates an "audience" watching RHPS as if it were a film, and doing the "interactive" portion, so in that way it will be different at the very least.

They are? Cool....I actually like this. I think that would make it easier for me to accept this version of RHPS.

TomOpus 10-20-16 07:51 PM

"Science Fiction - Double Feature" was well done. Not a fan of the take on Columbia, so far.

JackoOnHisBacko 10-20-16 08:15 PM

I'm not a big fan of the original, but this one doesn't seem any worse than that one, IMHO.
And Victoria Justice is smoking hot.

DeadLamb 10-20-16 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12901434)
Having an actual transexual pursue

I guess some people in the LGBT community now have problems with having men play transgender roles. This is one of the Alice down the rabbit hole sort of issues that gets really strange depending on your view points.

as some will claim that having a gay man like Matt Bomer play a transgender role in a film called "Anything" is 100% wrong. Being it fosters violence towards trans-women by pushing a view that a trans-woman is still really a man.

Yet if you have a woman play the role of a trans-woman you still get crap for that too. Even when the idea is they want a trans-woman to be seen as only a woman. Sooooooo the role is really for a woman? Yet no?

Gender issues are lot more simple when you just stick to stuff like "Wow Victoria Justice is really pretty".

whotony 10-20-16 08:44 PM

I thought this was going to be Live so I'm going to delete my recording of this.

TomOpus 10-20-16 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 12927530)
I thought this was going to be Live so I'm going to delete my recording of this.

Didn't read the thread? It's not that big. This was brought up a month ago.

whotony 10-20-16 09:03 PM

No I was going by the impression I got from the commercial

Giles 10-20-16 11:15 PM

^ speaking of the commercials - they absolutely killed the pacing of the show.