DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Better Things (FX) -- created by Pamela Adlon & Louis C.K. -- S: Pamela Adlon (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/637259-better-things-fx-created-pamela-adlon-louis-c-k-s-pamela-adlon.html)

dex14 09-08-16 07:01 AM

Better Things (FX) -- created by Pamela Adlon & Louis C.K. -- S: Pamela Adlon

http://images.spoilertv.com/cache/Be...s_xlg_FULL.jpg

Better Things, the new comedy co-created by Pamela Adlon and Louis C.K. and starring Adlon, gets its series premiere on FX on Thursday, September 8 at 10 PM ET/PT. Better Things centers on Sam Fox (Pamela Adlon), a single, working actor with no filter raising her three daughters, Max (Mikey Madison), Frankie (Hannah Alligood) and Duke (Olivia Edward) in Los Angeles. She's mom, dad, referee and the cops. Sam also watches out for her mother, Phil (Celia Imrie), an English expatriate, who lives across the street. Sam is flawed and fierce with her love for her daughters, and her own mother, as well. Sometimes, heaping the love on when she feels guilty. Sam's just trying to earn a living, navigate her daughters' lives, have fun with a friend or two and also - just maybe - squeeze in some private time once in a while. Adlon serves as Executive Producer alongside Louis C.K., Blair Breard, Dave Becky and 3 Arts Entertainment. Better Things is produced by C.K.'s production company Pig Newton for FX Productions.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Alysia Reiner as Sunny
· Celia Imrie as Phyllis
· Mikey Madison
· Olivia Edward
· Pamela Adlon as Sam
· Patricia Scanlon as Joy
· Riley Watson

CREW INFORMATION:
· Blair Breard as EP
· Dave Becky as EP
· Louis C.K. as CRTR/EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Pamela Adlon as CRTR/EP
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bPiVxNsK2rw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
10 episode first season.

whotony 09-08-16 08:35 PM

re: Better Things (FX) -- created by Pamela Adlon & Louis C.K. -- S: Pamela Adlon

I hope is better than that disaster Mary and Jane.

sydonesia 09-09-16 01:15 AM

re: Better Things (FX) -- created by Pamela Adlon & Louis C.K. -- S: Pamela Adlon

It was okay. But I felt the same way I felt about Louie. It took me a few episodes to GET it. The kids felt cliched, especially the older ones. I get that there is a certain attitude we believe that kids have, but they don't all act EXACTLY like that.

DJariya 09-09-16 01:57 AM

Wasn't really funny, but I was entertained. Pamela seemed to be playing a similar character like she did on Louie only with kids and less snarky.

Some cool cameos. Julie Bowen and even Constance Zimmer from Unreal.

It's just the 1st episode, but this sort of feels like how Louie is. More of a dark dramedy than actual comedy. Thought it was interesting that her character does voice over work like what she did in real life.

dex14 09-09-16 07:18 AM

I enjoyed it. But it definitely wasn't "funny". I remember either seeing or reading an interview with Adlon that said she wanted to make a personal show. This is pretty much her version of Louie. Real life comedy, I suppose. She has 3 daughters in real life and is separated. She does voice work. And I would assume the scene with Bradley Whitford was a reference to her work on Californication.

I liked the opening credits font and use of Lennon.

starseed1981 09-09-16 09:28 AM

Not funny or entertaining for that matter. There's too much on, one and done for me.

andicus 09-09-16 09:30 AM

I enjoyed it. Felt very Louie-like, which is a good thing.

Throwing Copper 09-10-16 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 12894495)
I enjoyed it. Felt very Louie-like, which is a good thing.

I recorded it. Have not watched yet. I like Pamela, and if it's anything like the show "Louie" then I know I'll enjoy it.

windom 09-10-16 10:41 AM

So far the kids were super annoying. I hope that improves.

Mike86 09-10-16 01:53 PM

I'll check it out at some point. Really like Louie but not sure I care about seeing Aldon as the lead of her own show as much.

bunkaroo 09-12-16 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 12895232)
So far the kids were super annoying. I hope that improves.

Agreed - I had to turn it off. I like Pam's character fine but between her oldest and then the androgynous kid I couldn't take it. I'll check this thread to see if they get less annoying - hopefully they got enough feedback for the pilot early on that they made some changes to those characters.

Tom Banjo 09-12-16 08:56 PM

The was always the worst thing about Louie for me. No way I'll watch this.

whotony 09-12-16 08:59 PM

This was pretty terrible. I'll give it one more.

OldBoy 09-15-16 10:05 PM

I love Adlon. This had me hooked first minutes...

Osiris3657 09-16-16 07:44 AM

Lost interest after reading the 3 girls have names that are traditionally for boys. I can't stand the gender ambiguity culture.

dex14 09-20-16 03:32 PM

Renewed: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ebook_20160920

whotony 09-23-16 09:03 PM

Still pretty terrible but I guess I'll keep watching.

I dont get what they are going for here. All the adults are a bore.
The mom is interesting but she's pretty much a stereotype.

The kids are awful people but they might be the only interesting thing about the show.

How old is the eldest daughter. asking for someone else.

andicus 09-23-16 09:10 PM

I think she's supposed to be 16, so have a seat over there.

I liked the pilot the best. The last two haven't been as good, IMHO.

Crocker Jarmen 09-25-16 03:54 PM

I've enjoyed the first three episodes, but it suffers from the same problem I felt during the first couple seasons of Louie; by focusing solely on character and nuance and not having any kind of a story, the viewer is left feeling frustrated. By the end of each episode I always feel like I didn't get a full show, that something is missing.

It isn't that I think Better Things is done poorly, it's just that it it isn't working as a weekly program anymore than something like Casablanca would if you chopped it up into twenty minute segments and aired them once a week.

Louie got better when the episodes became more ambitious and began telling an actual story. I expect Better Things to eventually go that direction.

slop101 10-02-16 02:35 PM

Watched this a little more. It has it's moments, but it's really up and down. What brings it down for me are the daughters - they're such pieces of shit.

whotony 12-04-16 09:07 PM

I finally watched the last 4 eps that I had saved on the dvr.

Still didn't like it until the last 3 shows redeemed it for me.

The kids became more likable.
Mom was more interesting.

I got a little misty at the end of the finale with the issues that Frankie had at school and when mom went to her room to give her a hug.

Will be back next season.

dex14 09-14-17 06:35 AM

Season 2 starts tonight, 9/14/17. 10 episodes.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wrG3ho-dTf4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

andicus 09-14-17 08:51 AM

:thumbsup:

Mike86 09-14-17 03:55 PM

I completely forgot about this show and thought tonight was the series premiere. :lol: Seems like it's a mixed bag and I'm only really interested because of it being co-created by Louis CK. Pamela Adlon is hit or miss with me. Still planning to check it out tonight. Hopefully I won't be lost hopping into season two.

whotony 09-16-17 11:31 PM

I was ready to bail halfway through this Ep.
The creepy dude dating the daughter and the mom refused to do anything about it.

Even after it was resolved I still don't like what her reasoning was.