Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

417 scripted shows aired in 2015 -- expected to grow to over 500 by 2017

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Are you happy with the explosion of TV content in recent years?
Yes, I love having so many options and always having something to watch
45.65%
No, it's crazy and too much. I only have so many hours of free time
39.13%
Not a huge TV watcher. Rarely pick up new shows and only watch a very small amount
15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-16, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...any-1.12155246

BEVERLY HILLS, CALIF. - How much TV is too much TV?

You don’t need a ticket to the summer TV press tour in California — where there’s a lot of TV on display — to come up with a reasonable answer. Look to your own life, schedule and (above all) tolerance for an endless stream of comedies and dramas that — producers and networks promise — are all absolutely essential viewing.

But there are only so many hours in a day (24) and — according to FX President John Landgraf — about to be 500 series (give or take) soon filling them.

In recent years, Landgraf, who spoke to the press here Tuesday, has become something of a self-styled Cassandra on the so-called “peak TV” phenomenon, the seemingly unstoppable growth of shows. He’s predicted that there will eventually be a shakeout — or a slow, gradual decline from the “peak” — simply due to the brute human ability to absorb only so many shows in any given lifetime, while also retaining one’s sanity, no matter how tube-addicted a human might actually be.

Landgraf released new figures here, revising upward his estimate of how many scripted series were on the air last year, from an estimated 412 to a total of 417.

But he was just beginning: So far this year through July, the total number of scripted series “stands at 322, up 6 percent from last year. . . . The six broadcasters are only up one show year to date, from 117 to 118. The premium cable services are also only up one show, from 24 to 25, and basic cable networks in the aggregate are actually down year to date, from 139 to 130 shows.

“So what’s driving the increase is the online programming services whose total through July has more than doubled, from 24 to 49 shows.”

He said this increase was effectively just the beginning, and that it’s “being driven by the streaming services, and much more than any other service, by Netflix, which has at this point premiered and/or announced 71 original adult scripted series. For reference, that’s more than the announced future output of HBO, Showtime, Starz and FX combined.”

He said, “The three largest streaming brands combined — Netflix, Hulu and Amazon — have at this point announced 113 scripted original series. Add other online services like Crackle, Seeso and Vimeo to the equation and [they] should reach the combined output of more than 130 scripted series, approaching English language broadcast television’s recent full year total of around 150 original scripted series.”

Just to let that sink in: Landgraf said the major streaming services will have nearly as many original scripted series by this year or next as the major broadcast networks — ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and The CW — combined.

By the end of this year, there will be in total around 450 scripted original shows across all networks and services, he predicted. But he said, “We’ll approach or slightly exceed 500 scripted series for all of 2017.”

How much TV is too much TV? Does “500 original scripted series” sound like a good answer?

This research was done by FX, but some of these numbers are unbelievable.

I get the sense in this forum especially that TV is becoming too much of a chore for many of you to keep up with and isn't fun. Hence, lots of dead threads for many new shows in recent years. I'm sure many of you just can't keep up and end up missing/ignoring/dropping so many shows.

There's a crap load of paid streaming services, network TV, cable TV, premium TV out there that I'm sure many of you feel it's getting next to impossible to keep up with everything. And now scripted content is expected to grow to over 500 shows? That's crazy.

Seems like it's getting more expensive to acquire the content you want even for those who don't have cable.
Old 08-18-16, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 417 scripted shows aired in 2015 -- expected to grow to over 500 by 2017

I used to give anything that looked interesting a try. Nowadays I can't even make if through the shows I love, much less try new ones.
Old 08-18-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I love it. Although I'm going to be a bit more selective when it comes to new fall/mid-season network shows
Old 08-18-16, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a fan of the ever growing expansion. Especially as a fair number of shows in the past needed some time to find their footing. The more options then the less likely they'll be to have that chance.

As for the threads here, it's seemed like I'm often behind on a lot of stuff and/or don't have much to say. So that I'll be watching every episode of something like Killjoys or Dark Matter, but I don't think I've posted in either of those threads yet this Season.
Old 08-18-16, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

It's great that there's a lot of scripted shows to choose from, but I'll only give a select few a chance. And out of those select few, if I don't like it, I'll be quick to drop it. No hesitation.

So if I end up with only one new scripted show added to my schedule from the 2016/2017 season, I'm fine with that.

I've been watching more documentary reality shows lately. Mostly crime and law enforcement related ones like: Behind Bars Rookie Year (A&E), 60 Days In (A&E), and Underworld, Inc (Nat Geo)
Old 08-18-16, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Quality over Quantity. I couldn't give a shit if they did 500 series... If only 3 are good for example, then those 3 are all that matter. Increasing the amount of shit shows doesn't somehow mean there is any more worth watching than there was before.
Old 08-19-16, 09:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
I used to give anything that looked interesting a try. Nowadays I can't even make if through the shows I love, much less try new ones.
Originally Posted by Koby
Quality over Quantity. I couldn't give a shit if they did 500 series... If only 3 are good for example, then those 3 are all that matter. Increasing the amount of shit shows doesn't somehow mean there is any more worth watching than there was before.
I can appreciate these perspectives - I share both of them. I do get frustrated because it is difficult to keep up with the amount of quality shows. I am completely in favor of Quality over Quantity, and find it nearly impossible to keep up with the selective viewing that I do have.

I think the Golden Age of TV is now behind us, but the current Silver Age does have some good content and as this increases, there is also a likely incremental increase in Quality content that comes with it.
Old 08-19-16, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like only by having this many options do we get the boundaries pushed with stuff like Mr Robot, Rick and Morty, The People vs OJ Simpson. The need for content, we get easier access to highly regarded BBC and anime shows without having to buy the blu rays/DVDs like even 5-7 years. And iron sharpens iron, like HBO, FX, and Netflix keep upping the ante with quality, and stars like Glenn Close and Tom Hiddleston can do a drama or miniseries without any stigma. But I have no time to game or rewatch movies because I can't bring myself to quit The Last Ship or the Avengers cartoon. Overall I think it's a good thing but it's so easy to get addicted.
Old 08-19-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I'd rather have more good content than less, although I agree it can be frustrating to miss stuff that interests me (12 Monkeys, Continuum, just to name a couple that I sampled and enjoyed).

The only time I'll stick with a show that I don't enjoy is if I've been watching it a long time and just trying to see it through (Desperate Housewives, Good Wife).

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
As for the threads here, it's seemed like I'm often behind on a lot of stuff and/or don't have much to say. So that I'll be watching every episode of something like Killjoys or Dark Matter, but I don't think I've posted in either of those threads yet this Season.
The move to season-specific threads has limited my activity. I totally understand that the episode-specific threads aren't worth the work, but I can't read them unless I'm caught up. And sometimes I comment after the season is over, but by then the horse is gone and no one else cares anymore.
Old 08-19-16, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I can appreciate these perspectives - I share both of them. I do get frustrated because it is difficult to keep up with the amount of quality shows. I am completely in favor of Quality over Quantity, and find it nearly impossible to keep up with the selective viewing that I do have.
This is better than getting a glut of reality shows. Keep the quality up and do short 10-12 episode seasons or a self-contained single season.
Old 08-19-16, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I think higher quantity is a good thing. It means these networks are taking more of a chance on shows and you never know when you'll find a diamond in the rough that way. There are a lot of ways all these networks and streaming services can fill up their schedules, I'd rather it be with scripted shows than anything else.

I do believe that the negative to all this is that I do find myself passing on quality shows because I don't have the time to watch everything I want but I'd rather have the option to choose between multiple good shows than be constrained to a few.
Old 08-19-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I watch like 10 shows annually. So as long as they leave those alone, I'm good.
Old 08-19-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I think the main problem with today's TV landscape is so many of these shows are written as a one season arc, and then they don't know where to go with the show for a 2nd season.

I don't know if this is a cause/effect of too many scripted shows?
Old 08-19-16, 02:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
This is better than getting a glut of reality shows. Keep the quality up and do short 10-12 episode seasons or a self-contained single season.
I agree. It could be worse (I'm no fan of reality TV). I do get frustrated because I'm unable to keep current with the scripted shows I routinely watch. Resulting in a backlog which then makes it challenging to watch any new quality shows that may air (or dare I say, a movie).

I've dialed back significantly on Network shows and limit most of my content to premium cable, Netflix and Amazon.
Old 08-19-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I think the main problem with today's TV landscape is so many of these shows are written as a one season arc, and then they don't know where to go with the show for a 2nd season.

I think a lot of that happens sometimes is someone will pitch a show they really don't think will last beyond a year. The perfect example to me of that is Revenge which started off as a great Mystery Thriller in season 1 but had nowhere to go with the premise and the show in season 2 just became a Nighttime Soap with stuff thrown against the wall.

Showtime is the worst offender of this as all their series seem to start off on fire then just go on and on forever,I feel pretty bad seeing so many talented people getting stuck in that purgatory.
Old 08-19-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Among my friends, I've always been known as the movie guy, but a number of years ago, I started to realize that I actually didn't watch very many movies anymore because I was always trying to keep up with my TV shows.

Over the last couple of years, I've been slowly whittling down my TV viewing because it had just gotten to be too much.

I'm now watching more movies, and while I probably still watch more shows than the average viewer, it has become far more manageable.

I guess that makes me one who isn't as big of a fan of the glut we now have.
Old 08-19-16, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb

This is becoming a real problem now that networks demand instant ratings for new shows. Showrunners feel pressured to lay all their cards on the table in season one, often chewing through enough plot in year one that used to cover 2-3 seasons.

The glut of television content has definitely affected my viewing habits. I have become far more ruthless at cutting the cord on flailing programs. Even momentary dips in quality as short as 2-4 episodes have led me to drop a show. I had enjoyed Zoo enough since its first episode and dropped it without a second thought when a certain character was shockingly killed off in season two.

I don't think the market can support this paradigm for very long, this is a bubble. Each streaming venue is creating one or two marquee programs to build their brands around, but we'll see if that lasts.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 08-20-16 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-20-16, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think another negative of so many scripted shows is that so many people miss alot of great shows simply because they only have so much time.

20-30 years ago, most shows I watched were pretty much watched by the masses. Now I can't find a single person in my work who watches The Americans, Mr. Robot, Outlander, etc. I try to recommend them to people at work, but they don't even want to consider them because they have so many shows on their plate. Or if they are married and have kids, only have time to watch 1 or 2 shows.
Old 08-20-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

People had a lot more leisure time for television before the Internet existed. I think audiences could have handled this glut of programming much better in the 70s or 80s.
Old 08-20-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
People had a lot more leisure time for television before the Internet existed. I think audiences could have handled this glut of programming much better in the 70s or 80s.
Pretty sure in the 70s and 80s people were too busy going outside to want to take time out to sit in front of the TV as much. Shoot even in the 90's most of my time was spent outside. Now it's like "what's this 'outside' you speak of"? haha.
Old 08-20-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Koby
Pretty sure in the 70s and 80s people were too busy going outside to want to take time out to sit in front of the TV as much. Shoot even in the 90's most of my time was spent outside. Now it's like "what's this 'outside' you speak of"? haha.
No, that is just you getting older.
Old 08-20-16, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also think what changed is there are more quality hour dramas compared to 20-30 years ago where the 1/2 hour sitcom dominated.

I think back to the late 80's when I was in high school and I would watch mostly sitcoms: Cheers, The Wonder Years, Alf, Family Ties, Who's The Boss, Night Court, Growing Pains, Coach. Where I would watch 1 or 2 hour dramas like St. Elsewhere. I know my parents would watch Dallas and Dynasty, as they were the cream of the crop at that time.

1/2 hour sitcoms are easy to watch compared to an hour drama where you have to get invested in the show week to week.
Old 08-20-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Are people really complaining that there are too many shows?

A friend of mine told me that back in the 1980s, he would read the entire internet in an afternoon. No one would say today that it's a bad thing that there are more websites than anyone can read.

I'm skeptical about the quality of those 400 shows. Back in the 1960s, Harlan Ellison was complaining that there weren't enough good writers to fill the three-network television schedule.
Old 08-20-16, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's unfortunate is even with this much TV... there was 0 shows that aired over this Summer that I watched. That was fine though as it allowed me to watch some shows I had on my backlog, even though I still never got around to a lot of them lol. Anyhow, none of the new Summer shows this season interested me and all my old Summer shows either ended, got canceled, or got delayed till later this year.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
No, that is just you getting older.
Probably still younger than most here though.

Last edited by Koby; 08-20-16 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-20-16, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Quantity of course doesn't equal quality. I'm not finding many more shows that are high quality now than I was say 5 years ago. Just a lot more shit.

For me it still matters who is putting a show out. There's a much better chance a show on HBO will be worth watching than one on USA.

I don't watch anything from ABC, NBC or CBS. X-Files was the only recent watch on FOX. The "major networks" shows are absolutely forgettable. There are a handful of shows worth watching on AMC and FX but that's dwindling too.

I've actually watched a lot more movies this summer as a result which is fine with me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.