DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Marvel’s Runaways (Hulu) -- premieres 11/21/17 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/635566-marvel%92s-runaways-hulu-premieres-11-21-17-a.html)

dex14 08-17-16 01:09 PM

Marvel’s Runaways (Hulu) -- premieres 11/21/17

EXCLUSIVE: Hulu is getting into the Marvel business with a series order to Runaways, a drama series based on the fan-favorite Marvel Comics books. It comes from Gossip Girl creators Josh Schwartz & Stephanie Savage, Marvel Television and ABC Signature.

Created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona, the Runaways comics feature a group of teenagers who discover that their parents are part of an evil crime organization.

Written by Schwartz and Savage, Marvel’s Runaways will tell the story of six diverse teenagers who can barely stand each other but who must unite against a common foe – their parents.

“I’m a long-time fan of Runaways and couldn’t be more excited to bring Brian and Adrian’s characters to life,” said Schwartz.

Added Savage, “Josh and I can’t wait to get to work for Marvel and Hulu.”

The book series debuted in 2003 and is still in print with a short break in later 2004 when it was canceled but brought back by popular demand.

The TV adaptation stems from a series of conversations Schwartz and Savage had with executives from Marvel TV over the past year. The project was developed under the overall deal Schwartz and Savage’s Fake Empire had at ABC Studios where Marvel TV also is based.

Coming of age is familiar territory for Schwartz and Savage who created together the successful TV series adaptation of another book series, Gossip Girl. Schwartz also created the coming-of-age Fox drama The O.C.

“We’ve known the Runaways‘ story would make great television,” said Jeph Loeb, EP and Head of Marvel Television, “and being lucky enough to have Josh and Stephanie — who have time and again created shows that speak so genuinely to this exact audience — write and produce the series is nothing short of remarkable.”

Schwartz and Savage will serve as showrunners of Marvel’s Runaways, which they executive produce with Loeb (Marvel’s Jessica Jones) and Jim Chory (Marvel’s Daredevil) Fake Empire’s Lis Rowinski will produce as well.

Schwartz and Savage also have a TV series based on the Calendar Girl book series in development at Freeform through ABC Signature, Fake Empire is repped by WME.

Marvel TV has Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on ABC and several series on Netflix, including Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Punisher as well as The Defenders.
http://deadline.com/2016/08/hulu-mar...cs-1201799746/

RichC2 08-17-16 01:24 PM

re: Marvel’s Runaways (Hulu) -- premieres 11/21/17

Sounds kind of terrible, but since it's a Hulu original that means I'll be seeing a couple episodes when they randomly show up after whatever I'm watching.

PhantomStranger 08-17-16 02:24 PM

For those that don't read comic books, Runaways is on the fringes of the Marvel Universe. So don't expect Captain America or Iron Man on showing up, or really any familiar superhero.

fujishig 08-17-16 03:16 PM

Wait they still have a Runaways ongoing? I thought they basically just shuffled pieces of the team to that Battle Royale knock off book where the heroes fight to the death.

rocket1312 08-17-16 03:35 PM

Runaways was a great book while Vaughan was writing it. I haven't read any of the material after he left, but if they were able to capture the spirit of the original, it might make for some good tv.

Why So Blu? 08-17-16 04:07 PM

Wasn't Deadpool's sidekick from the movie one of those killed in that Battle Royale book?

bluetoast 08-17-16 04:35 PM

I read Runaways a whole back. Dropped out shortly after Vaughan left the second time around. Not his greatest series, but it was cool to see a smaller side of the Marvel universe.

ultimaton 08-17-16 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12876700)
Wasn't Deadpool's sidekick from the movie one of those killed in that Battle Royale book?

No

Eric F 08-17-16 05:28 PM

Yay! Low-bandwidth 720p/2.0.:(

It's comicbook oriented so I'll check it out. Never know, it could be good.

fujishig 08-17-16 10:56 PM

Huh, Comixology has all the volumes on sale to coincide with this announcement.

Considering the OC and Gossip Girl had pretty good to great first seasons before petering out, this is probably the perfect property for these producers. The original Runaways mini was pretty good, lots of teen angst and relationship drama and twists, then after that first one it just was never the same despite getting people like Whedon and Terry Moore involved. So if they're even semi faithful, the first season should be good.

dex14 02-02-17 04:28 PM

Hulu's take on Marvel's beloved Runaways has firmed up its cast.

Faking It grad Gregg Sulkin will lead the cast of rising stars in the streaming service's pilot, Marvel announced Thursday.

From Gossip Girl creators Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, the pilot is based on Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man) and Adrian Alphona's comic series. It centers on a group of teens who discover that their parents are part of an evil crime organization. Written by Schwartz and Savage, Runaways will focus on six diverse teens who can barely stand each other but who unite to fight a common foe: their parents.

Gregg Sulkinis set as Chase Stein, a lacrosse-playing, high school heartthrob. While many write him off as a dumb jock, Chase exhibits flashes of untapped brilliance in engineering, not unlike his wildly successful father’s.

Rhenzy Feliz(Teen Wolf, Casual) is set as Alex Wilder,a loud-and-proud nerd. Admittedly a bit of a loner, Alex spends much of his free-time playing video games, but deep down, what he wants most is to reunite his childhood group of friends.

Lyrica Okano(The Affair) will portray Nico Minoru, a tough, intelligent and independent kid who embodies teenage angst. A budding Wiccan, Nico’s carefully crafted goth appearance isolates her from her peers and family, but maybe what she really needs is someone to talk to.

Virginia Gardner (Goat) takes on the role of Karolina Dean, model-perfect exterior with a lot going on behind her professionally whitened smile, is burdened by the lofty expectations and responsibilities put upon her by her parents. Underneath her veneer of privilege and perfection, Karolina is experiencing a newfound eagerness to explore her identity and pursue her own desires.

Ariela Barer(One Day at a Time) will portray Gert Yorkes, a purple-haired, bespectacled, contemporary riot grrrl. Never passing up a moment to stand on a soapbox, Gert sometimes wields her persona as a brash social justice warrior to mask her true feelings.

Allegra Acosta(100 Things to do Before High School) rounds out the cast as Molly Hernandez, the youngest and most innocent member of her friend group, is known for her peppy positivity and a deep yearning to belong.

"I’m so excited for fans of the comic to watch this perfect cast of amazing actors, all of whom embody the spirit of their characters more than I ever could have imagined," Runaways comic co-creator and series executive consultant Vaughn said.

Additional casting will be announced at a later date.

Schwartz and Savage are on board as showrunners and exec produce alongside Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory. Fake Empire's Lis Rowinski will also produce. The drama is a co-production between Marvel and ABC Signature.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ebook_20170202

DJariya 02-09-17 09:46 PM

More actors cast. Some very familiar names:

"MARVEL'S RUNAWAYS" SETS REMAINING CAST FOR TELEVISION PROJECT WITH HULU

Roles for 'The Pride' locked, in adaptation of popular Marvel comic

Marvel Television announced today the group of actors set to portray The Pride (a.k.a the parental characters) in "Marvel's Runaways," the highly anticipated project with popular streaming service, Hulu.

Every teenager thinks their parents are evil. What if you found out they actually were? "Marvel's Runaways" is the story of six diverse teenagers who can barely stand each other but who must unite against a common foe - their parents.

Meet the Pride:

Ryan Sands as Geoffrey Wilder

Ryan Sands ("Hat Hair," "The Wire") as Geoffrey Wilder - is a man defined by the grueling path he's taken to achieve his self-made success. A hulking presence, Geoffrey can effortlessly shift from approachable father to intimidating strategist with his son Alex.

Angel Parker as Catherine Wilder

Angel Parker ("The People v. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story," "The Strain") as Catherine Wilder - a successful lawyer, is deliberate and calculating in both her words and actions. But when it comes to her family, she's fiercely loyal and a loving mother to her son Alex.

Brittany Ishibashi as Tina Minoru

Brittany Ishibashi ("This Is Us," "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows") as Tina Minoru - a perfectionist "tiger mom." In her professional life, she is a brilliant innovator and ruthless CEO. Emotionally, she is less confident, often shying away from difficult conversations with her daughter Nico and careful to avoid explicit displays of her feelings.

James Yaegashi as Robert Minoru

James Yaegashi ("Breakfast at Tiffany's" on Broadway, "Madame Secretary") as Robert Minoru - a gentle and brilliant beta, the Woz to his wife's Jobs. Warm and feeling, Robert sometimes struggles with being married to a woman who so forcefully barricades her emotions while caring about Nico.

Kevin Weisman as Dale Yorkes

Kevin Weisman ("Hello Ladies," "Alias") as Dale Yorkes - a beardy, dad-core bioengineer. Incredibly science-minded, he has a deep love for his family but oftentimes falls short at knowing the right things to say to Gert.

Brigid Brannagh as Stacey Yorkes

Brigid Brannagh ("Army Wives," "True Colors") as Stacey Yorkes - an absent-minded and professorial bioengineer. Perpetually dawning Birkenstocks and a messy bun, Stacey utilizes a progressive approach to her parenting style to Gert.

Annie Wersching as Leslie Dean

Annie Wersching ("Timeless," "The Vampire Diaries") as Leslie Dean - a complicated beauty, is a poised and skilled leader. Clear-minded, focused, and charismatic, Leslie draws in devoted allies and followers who are taken by her success and charm, particularly with her daughter Karolina.

Kip Pardue as Frank Dean

Kip Pardue ("Remember the Titans," "Ray Donovan") as Frank Dean - a former teen star who rode a short-lived movie career and is now teeming with insecurity. Floundering in his professional career as an actor, Frank is seeking to renew purpose in his life while being a father to Karolina.

James Marsters as Victor Stein

James Marsters ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Angel") as Victor Stein - an engineering genius who may just save the word from itself. Electric cars, space travel; the military and NASA both look to him for answers. As a father to Chase, Victor has lofty expectations for his son, and when they aren't met, his retribution can be fierce.

Ever Carradine as Janet Stein

Ever Carradine ("The Handmaids Tale," "Goliath") as Janet Stein - a perfect PTA mom. Harboring a brilliant mind of her own, she has made deep sacrifices for her husband's world-changing career. Though she hides it for the wellbeing of her son Chase, Janet longs for more from her life.

Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...cZUtx4GYo0E.99

fumanstan 05-04-17 10:17 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6i0roQvnTI0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wonder if this will get pulled or we'll see a real online release soon.

devilshalo 10-06-17 06:37 PM

The Questyen 10-06-17 07:47 PM

The original Runaways run is one of my favorite comics ever and that teaser looks pretty much perfect.

fujishig 10-06-17 08:12 PM

No Old Lace?

nevermind, I must be blind, she's in there. Also Molly seems too old, but otherwise they're really faithful to the look of the comic.

lwhy? 10-06-17 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13175037)
No Old Lace?

nevermind, I must be blind, she's in there. Also Molly seems too old, but otherwise they're really faithful to the look of the comic.

I thought Molly looked too old too. The actress who's playing her is 14 according to the interwebs. I thought maybe they were casting 18 and up to avoid child labor work hours.

spainlinx0 10-07-17 09:23 AM

Saw the first episode at NYCC last night. I have zero familiarity with the comic. It was entertaining, and I would definitely check out other episodes. The people in the crowd who seemed to know the property already had quite a few applause and geek out moments so I guess it is staying true to the property.

Inhumans99 10-07-17 11:10 AM

This may get me to temporarily join Hulu...was a huge Runaways fan before people realized the first batch of Runaways comics were something different and a bit off the well tread path in the Marvel universe, but a good different. Even a mediocre Runaways comic or series that they crossed into was a bit better than the average comic at the time. I also really want to check out The Handmaid’s Tale, so I have two enticing reasons to break my rule of just sticking with Netflix as my streaming service.

lwhy? 11-01-17 01:36 PM

TVLine gives the series an A- http://tvline.com/2017/11/01/marvels...s-review-hulu/ I'm a lot more interested in checking this out now. I liked the comics, but I wasn't sold on the casting.

Inhumans99 11-01-17 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13195863)
TVLine gives the series an A- http://tvline.com/2017/11/01/marvels...s-review-hulu/ I'm a lot more interested in checking this out now. I liked the comics, but I wasn't sold on the casting.

Wow...nice review! I was also curious if this was already on the air or yet to air, so I am glad to hear I have time to sign up for Hulu as we get closer to the premier date. It has been years since I signed up for Hulu, but I adore the Runaways characters both in their own series and when they crossed into other titles, so this will be a fun watch over the holidays.

dex14 11-21-17 06:59 AM

Re: Marvel’s Runaways (Hulu) -- premieres 11/21/17

The first 3 episodes are up on Hulu.

Reviews have been pretty mixed.

Original Desmond 11-21-17 09:19 AM

I have never read the comic

So far i am struggling to get through the first episode. Nothing has grabbed me at all

Marshall, Spike and Renee Walker are just about keeping me watching

There was a time when anything Marvel on TV would be orgasmic, now there's just too much, it has to be good

Give me Alpha Flight v the Wrecking Crew and the Sinister Six on a TV show, full of action and demonstrations of powers anyday of the week (and twice on Sundays)

Original Desmond 11-23-17 08:28 AM

made myself watch the first 3 episodes to give this show a chance

It is not good. way too slow moving, annoying in many ways

I might watch the next few episodes on fast forward just to see if anything cool finally happens

looks like heaps of people are watching lol

Gizmo 11-23-17 02:58 PM

Interested to see James Masters...but this looks very generic. Maybe one day.