DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Scream Queens- yay or nay? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/635560-scream-queens-yay-nay.html)

Tom Banjo 08-17-16 12:48 AM

Scream Queens- yay or nay?

I noticed this is on Hulu now. I'm looking for something to binge before fall tv starts. Is this worth my time? For reference, I like AHS (excluding Coven) and Scream is decent (although the season 2 finale was subpar).
I guess I could just give it an episode or two and see for myself, but thought it wouldn't hurt to check here, too.
Poll included (expires in 7 days).

MLBFan24 08-17-16 01:21 AM

Re: Scream Queens- yay or nay?

80% Mean Girls + 20% Scream (movie) = Scream Queens

I really enjoyed the show and will tune into season 2.

I will admit the show won't appeal to everyone. At least give the pilot a try. Hard to recommend a binge since I don't know your style of humor.

JTH182 08-17-16 07:10 AM

Did you at least like Emma Roberts in Coven? Otherwise this might not be for you :lol:

Noonan 08-17-16 07:13 AM

I enjoyed it but felt it went on for too long. Decent throwback to the slasher films of the 80's. It did nothing but make fun of itself.

hdnmickey 08-17-16 07:58 AM

I vote pass. It's funny at times, but not enough to overcome how bad it is overall. To make matters worse, as characters start getting killed off, they lose some of the better ones in favor of others that are the worst part of the show.

I'll be recording the second season on the DVR and only give it a shot if time allows. Don't have much hope given that I saw much of the lame cast is back.

RichC2 08-17-16 08:11 AM

Pass for me as well, it has a great premise for a show (quirky slasher) but quickly runs it into the ground, very one note.

Why So Blu? 08-17-16 08:33 AM

Yay all the way.

bunkaroo 08-17-16 09:17 AM

Definitely. The wife and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not sure where they go for the second season and it may very well suck, but the first season is still worth seeing.

Tom Banjo 08-17-16 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by JTH182 (Post 12876178)
Did you at least like Emma Roberts in Coven? Otherwise this might not be for you :lol:

Yeah, I like her just fine, I just found Coven to be the weakest of all the AHS seasons (I'm an Asylum fan).

Tom Banjo 08-17-16 09:59 AM

Looks like the yays have it, so I'll give it at least 2 episodes. Thanks, guys!

dex14 08-17-16 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 12876287)
Looks like the yays have it, so I'll give it at least 2 episodes. Thanks, guys!

https://lovelace-media.imgix.net/upl...00699013d.gif?

Double_Oh_7 08-17-16 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 12876129)
80% Mean Girls + 20% Scream (movie) = Scream Queens

I get more of a Heathers vibe than Mean Girls.

Quatermass 08-17-16 12:36 PM

I agree with hdnmickey's post. It had some good moments, but on the whole it's not worth investing 12 hours in. It felt as if they were stretching 6 hours of material to fill the allotted time. You could fast-forward through a lot of it. In fact, you can probably skip 5 or 6 episodes in the middle entirely without missing much.

Spiderbite 08-17-16 12:52 PM

For the character of Chad alone it is worth a binge.

hdnmickey 08-17-16 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass (Post 12876486)
I agree with hdnmickey's post. It had some good moments, but on the whole it's not worth investing 12 hours in. It felt as if they were stretching 6 hours of material to fill the allotted time. You could fast-forward through a lot of it. In fact, you can probably skip 5 or 6 episodes in the middle entirely without missing much.

Thanks, but you are far too generous. I think there was 2 hours of good material in there, tops. Some great character bits, but not enough to fill any more than a longer slasher movie.

MLBFan24 08-17-16 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 12876400)

I've heard that comparison too, but I haven't seen Heathers so I'll take your word for it.

JTH182 08-17-16 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 12876285)
Yeah, I like her just fine, I just found Coven to be the weakest of all the AHS seasons (I'm an Asylum fan).

Well I just meant her characters in each are quite similar. Some people don't like her stuck up bitch character, and she's even more front and center in Scream Queens. I personally thought the dialogue was pretty hilarious in Scream Queens, especially for being on FOX.

hdnmickey 08-17-16 09:26 PM

The dialogue was the best part of every episode. Far more sexually explicit language than any R rated movie I can remember. The lack of the word fuck doesn't make it any less sexual, but apparently the family values police were either too stupid to know what the chracters were talking about or asleep at the wheel.

TheBigDave 08-17-16 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 12876400)

I thought it was more like Glee. But with killing instead of singing.

writer106 08-18-16 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 12876243)
Definitely. The wife and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not sure where they go for the second season and it may very well suck, but the first season is still worth seeing.

It was the same with me. I liked the first season for the most part. But I'm unsure of whether I want to watch season 2 and I kind of wish this would have been anthology type show.

Josh-da-man 08-18-16 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 12876121)
I noticed this is on Hulu now. I'm looking for something to binge before fall tv starts. Is this worth my time? For reference, I like AHS (excluding Coven) and Scream is decent (although the season 2 finale was subpar).
I guess I could just give it an episode or two and see for myself, but thought it wouldn't hurt to check here, too.
Poll included (expires in 7 days).

The others are right... It is very much a mash-up of Scream, Mean Girls, and Heathers.

It's like the "Mean Girls" were in a "Scream"-style slasher movie with a heavy dose of Heathers-style black humor. It's also really raunchy for a network show; a lot of the stuff seems to have gone over the network censors' heads.

I would suggest watching the first couple of episodes. If you like them, then continue. If you hate them, then don't bother.

hdnmickey 08-18-16 06:21 PM

Don't know about the rest of you, but I loved the first few episodes, but liked it less and less as each week went on. Basically as they finally got to completing the story, it got lame as the story didn't really have a good ending.

Much like many American Horror Story seasons. So I cringe when people recommend to others that they should keep going with tit just because the like the first few episodes. I'm serious when I say the completest in me needing to see the ending is the only reason I didn't bail.

LiquidSky 08-18-16 09:26 PM

I voted yes. Campy fun. I love one of the lines Roberts has about dildos and cocaine. :)

Tom Banjo 08-19-16 06:19 AM

Cool, thanks for the input. I'll give it a shot.

clckworang 08-19-16 11:56 AM

I enjoyed it, but it did take me a couple of episodes to get into it. I wasn't much of a fan of the first episode.