Reload this Page >

The Get Down (Netflix) - From EP Baz Luhrmann -- Series Thread -- 8/12/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-11-16, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The first six episodes of Baz Luhrmann's all-new music-driven drama, from Sony Pictures Television, will focus on 1970s New York City - broken down and beaten up, violent, cash strapped -- dying. Consigned to rubble, a rag-tag crew of South Bronx teenagers are nothings and nobodies with no one to shelter them - except each other, armed only with verbal games, improvised dance steps, some magic markers and spray cans. From Bronx tenements, to the SoHo art scene; from CBGBs to Studio 54 and even the glass towers of the just-built World Trade Center, The Get Down is a mythic saga of how New York at the brink of bankruptcy gave birth to hip-hop, punk and disco -- told through the lives and music of the South Bronx kids who changed the city, and the world...forever. Luhrmann, director of Moulin Rouge!, Romeo + Juliet, and The Great Gatsby, will direct the first episode and serve as executive producer, overseeing all creative aspects of the show. Joining him on the creative team are four-time Academy-Award winner Catherine Martin (The Great Gatsby, Moulin Rouge!), along with Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Stephen Adly Guirgis (The Motherf***er With The Hat) and hip-hop historian and writer Nelson George, and a trio of the pioneers of hip-hop: Grandmaster Flash, DJ Kool Herc, and Afrika Bambaataa, each of whom will also be portrayed on the series. The cast includes Shameik Moore, Justice Smith, Herizen Guardiola, Skylan Brooks, Tremaine Brown Jr., Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, JImmy Smits, Giancarlo Esposito and Jaden Smith.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
Giancarlo Esposito as Ramon Cruz
Herizen Guardiola as Mylene Cruz
Jaden Smith as Marcus "Dizzee" Kipling
Jimmy Smits as Francisco "Papa Fuerte" Cruz
Justice Smith as Ezekiel
Mamoudou Athie as Grandmaster Flash
Shameik Moore as Shaolin Fantastic
Skylan Brooks as Ra Ra
Tremaine Brown, Jr. as Boo Boo
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Cadillac
Yolonda Ross as Ms. Green
Zabryna Guevara as TBA

CREW INFORMATION:
Baz Luhrmann as EP/DIR (Pilot)
Catherine Martin as EP
Marney Hochman as EP
Paul Watters as EP
Shawn Ryan as EP
Stephen Adley Guirgis as EP
Thomas Kelly as EP

Headsup. This premieres tomorrow on Netflix. 12 episode season, but only 6 episodes will be posted tomorrow. The remaining 6 will be posted next year.

This is reportedly the most expensive show in TV history. Cost over $10M per episode.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...wn-isnt-914955

Saw the trailer the other day and it looks good and well made. Not sure if I will be able to tackle it right away.
Old 08-11-16, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: The Get Down (Netflix) - From EP Baz Luhrmann -- Series Thread -- 8/12/16

Meh.
Old 08-12-16, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've read, the fact that it's so expensive is unintentional. I'm almost surprised it made it to completion, but I guess they figured better to go over budget and end up with something than have the money already spent result in nothing.

When they say most expensive show in TV history, I don't know what they're including in the comparison. I tend to remember season 1 of HBO's Rome was pretty expensive (100+MM) and so was From The Earth To The Moon.

I'm really curious to see this given Grandmaster Flash was involved. I'm hoping they do the music well. Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch it for awhile.

Of course basic cable has split seasons, but has Netflix ever split a show up like this?
Old 08-12-16, 07:44 AM

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC View Post
Of course basic cable has split seasons, but has Netflix ever split a show up like this?
The Ranch on Netflix has a first season episode count of 20. 10 were released, 10 are being released later.

I'm going to guess the reason for doing it with this show is because of the cost and behind the scenes issues with this they really needed account for everything before renewing. They can use the analytics of airing 6... and then seeing how many come back for 6 more before deciding on a new order of episodes.
Old 08-12-16, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Gonna give this a try...
Old 08-12-16, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From EP Baz Luhrmann
This is reportedly the most expensive show in TV history. Cost over $10M per episode.
From what I've read, the fact that it's so expensive is unintentional.

I'll give it a shot. Looks like something that'll make me feel good.
Old 08-13-16, 09:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Just watched Episode I. It's filled with Luhrmann set-pieces, but this is very much its own thing. Looking forward to the next five episodes, the first episode was a whole lot of fun.
Old 08-13-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched the first two episodes without my wife. I know she'd watch it with me, but it's not really her thing. The first episode is double length.

What do I think of it? Well, while there's no chance I won't finish it, I haven't yet recommended anyone else look at it. I like the music. It's a bit nostalgic because I can still remember partying to
(Chic) in discos, hearing
(Sugarhill Gang) for the first time. I wasn't in NY at the time, so it was really something different. (As an aside,
was the first time I'd really seen inner city life talked about unedited. I remember thinking, "You know, we have people living in zoos and marvel when some start to act like animals.")

I knew of Grandmaster Flash and to a lesser degree Afrika Bambaataa, but I knew nothing about Kool Herc. So I'm already learning some history by watching this. It's just like when watching Macklemore's
and seeing Kool Moe Dee and Melle Mel, two MC's I knew. But who was that third OG? I'd never heard of Grandmaster Caz. Google fixed that. Macklemore including those three on that song (and in the videos and live performances) is the first thing that made me listen to him (despite the silly subject matter). I still have a saved video of him performing that song on
. (low quality link)

Depth is part of what The Get Down does right. Since it has the right people involved, you get a more in-depth story. For every talented person who broke through and went commercial, there are many who stayed on the streets (for varying reasons) that we don't know. For some reason, I initially thought this was going to be a documentary-type movie about the origins of hip-hop. It was almost shocking to find out it's a whole series. That's a lot of hip-hop history.

So far, I find myself in this twilight zone of liking it but not finding it compelling. I'll be surprised if this is a money maker for Netflix. It doesn't really have suspense, so it's missing an element of, "What happens next?" Instead, there's a general curiosity about what happened. There's young love and rejection. There's street violence. And, of course, wordplay. Plenty of wordplay. There's a point where our young star finally (privately) recites a poem he'd written (one he'd previously falsely confessed to plagiarizing rather than reading it in front of his classroom) that tugs at the heartstrings. It serves as yet another reminder that people are more than their circumstances.

So while I wouldn't e-mail friends and family and say, "You need to watch this show," (Like I did for Making a Murderer, or even Stranger Things), at this point, it looks like I'm in for the full run. Given what they've covered already, knowing there are 4 more episodes available, and hearing from Dex14 there are 6 more in the can for release later, I don't really see that there will need to be a S2 of this. We'll see.

Last edited by MikahC; 08-13-16 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old 08-17-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Baz Luhrmann's "The Get Down" (Netflix)

Anyone else watching this?

I watched the first episode last night. I'm not a fan of Luhrmann in general but I liked the first episode of this show. It's over the top, theatrical and scattershot but it looks great and the show has a lot of charm. Imagine Luhrmann doing a remake of "Beat Street" and you're close.

BTW, the soundtrack for the first episode was AMAZING. When they dropped Can's "Vitamin C" I just about lost it. Such an obscure but perfect selection for the scene.
Old 08-17-16, 10:36 AM

Netflix: 'The Get Down' Season 1

Tried searching but was not able to find anything on this series so posting it here.

Have you guys seen this series yet? "The Get Down" on Netflix?

I started watching it and it is very nice so far.. Currently midway thru season 1. Plus, the girls on the show are great.
Old 08-17-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first ep. was weak and sort of confusing with all the character introductions. It actually gets better after that when they focus mainly on the 5 kids. I dig the Bruce Lee references.
Old 08-17-16, 02:27 PM

I am enjoying the series so far. Half way thru first season. The music is good and seeing the news reports, etc. mixed into the show is good as well.
Old 08-19-16, 06:12 PM

I enjoyed the Hell out of this. The last episode is worth the journey.
Old 08-21-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
The first ep. was weak and sort of confusing with all the character introductions. It actually gets better after that when they focus mainly on the 5 kids. I dig the Bruce Lee references.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_(TV_series)

First ep was definitely the weakest, but the wife and I have been enjoying it.
Old 08-21-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed it and looking forward to the next episodes. I grow up in the era so its like Deja vu for me.

Kung fu movies played every Saturday on channel 5. Bruce Lee was a god to us... lol
Old 08-26-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Slate - How The Get Down Botches Hip-Hop History

Excerpt:
Netflix’s The Get Down, which dropped Part 1 of its oddly bifurcated first season on Friday, is many things: garish, cacophonous, tonally bonkers, frequently ridiculous, and occasionally thrilling.
I don't know why the author wants more history on disco in a series about the rise of hip-hop. Maybe I'm easy and there's a story in there I'm not aware of, but having lived through the era, Saturday Night Fever has pretty much said all that needs saying on the subject IMO. Whatever else needs saying should be said in a different TV show or movie.

As for the R&B affection, it's fine by me as I cut my teeth on that (and earlier) era of R&B. Still, although I enjoy the old-style R&B music, while watching I found myself wanting to see more hip-hop. I never lived hip-hop culture and I hoped for a more informative and interesting exposure.

I'm still only as far as episode 3, so my prediction is holding up. I'm going to finish it, but it's not what I'd call compelling.
Old 08-26-16, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw the first two episodes. Days later I have no desire whatsoever to watch more.
Old 08-26-16, 02:54 PM

I am enjoying the first ep, but its long....
Old 08-27-16, 06:15 PM

Just saw the first ep. It's interesting. I'm going to probably run through the next 5 this weekend.

If I get a chance when I see him, I'm going to ask KRS-ONE if he's had a chance to see the series, and what he thought about it as he literally grew up in that time period in the South Bronx.
Old 10-19-16, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

http://deadline.com/2016/10/the-get-...nn-1201837874/

Looks like this show actually cost $16M per episode to produce according to Deadline

However, Deadline has learned that given the way the deal is constructed, Netflix is paying more like $16M per episode — inclusive in the total is worldwide rights to the IP, and factored into that are the premiums that Netflix paid to acquire those rights exclusively.

Other costs include start-up, visual effects, music rights and production design. Of the $16 million, around $11 million was the final production expenses per episode, $3 million-$4 million over the initial budget following a string of filming shutdowns, staffing changes and script rewrites. When a TV drama is produced for $6M or higher an episode, it is considered expensive.

So adding in all the costs on The Get Down, including the worldwide rights and premiums, that brings the total for the 12-episode season closer to the $190M-plus range.

I guess this show doesn't really fit the demographic of this forum and was quickly forgotten.
Old 10-19-16, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I just don't think it's very well made. Love it on a concept level, dislike it on an execution basis.

$190m? NFLX should be happy their stock just jumped 20%+ ($100 on Monday -> $121.91 right now)
Old 10-19-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I watched one episode. Gave me such a fucking headache. Hope you like your dialog and characterizations served up thin.
Old 10-20-16, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first episode wasn't particularly good but the subsequent episodes were quite enjoyable.
Old 04-09-17, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FYI....The rest of the season is up on Netflix.
Old 05-24-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Get Down (Netflix) - From EP Baz Luhrmann -- Series Thread -- 8/12/16

Cancelled

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.