Reload this Page >

The Son -- new AMC original series -- S: Pierce Brosnan -- 2017

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-24-16, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pierce Brosnan is returning to television as the lead of AMC’s upcoming drama series The Son. The former James Bond is replacing Sam Neill who had been originally cast in the role but left for personal reasons.

This marks only the second major TV series gig for Brosnan three decades after his starring role on the 1982 NBC adventure dramedy Remington Steele.

Based on the book by Philipp Meyer and written by Meyer, Lee Shipman and Brian McGreevy, The Son is a multi-generational epic tale of the story of America’s birth as a superpower through the bloody rise and fall of one Texas family.

Brosnan will play Eli, the charismatic patriarch of the McCullough family. As a child, he was kidnapped and raised among the Comanche Native American tribe and applies the brutal Comanche worldview to his business dealings. He was born on the day Texas became an independent Republic, earning the nickname “First Son of Texas” and is a relic of the Wild West, uneasy with the inexorable taming of Texas and the uncertain future of his legacy.

Kevin Murphy serves as executive producer/showrunner on the series, which has a 10-episode straight-to-series order. Tom Harper (War & Peace) is directing the opening episode of The Son, which begins production this month in Austin for a 2017 premiere.

Sonar Entertainment and AMC Studios are producing the series, which co-stars Henry Garrett, Zahn McClarnon, Paola Nunez and Sydney Lucas. Michael Connolly also executive produces.
Old 11-28-16, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The Son -- new AMC original series -- S: Pierce Brosnan -- 2017

1st teaser for The Son aired tonight on AMC. Here it is:

Premieres Spring 2017

So weird seeing Brosnan in a Western period drama as a Texan.
Old 11-28-16, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Brosnan, but I'm not sure about this casting...

Last edited by mphtrilogy; 11-28-16 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-28-16, 10:00 AM

Yeah, interesting role for Pierce. Can't tell much from that trailer, but am interested to see how this'll play out. Good to see Brosnan back on the small screen.
Old 03-24-17, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This premieres April 8th. AMC has been showing promos nonstop. I'll be tuning in.
Old 03-25-17, 12:14 PM

This looks interesting, definitely will check it out; Brosnan had a role in a western, Seraphim Falls; he was a former Union Soldier and Liam Neeson was a former Confederate Soldier.
Old 04-09-17, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

FYI, this premiered last night.

128 minute premiere (2 episodes) 10 episode season. Don't know how many of you recorded or were aware of it. I'm sure AMC will have plenty of re-airs.

AMC's highly-anticipated original scripted drama series "The Son" debuts Saturday, April 8th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT on both AMC and SundanceTV with a two-hour premiere featuring back-to-back episodes. The series is based on Philipp Meyer's New York Times best-selling and Pulitzer Prize-nominated novel of the same name, and stars Pierce Brosnan. Consisting of ten one-hour episodes, "The Son" traces the transformation of Eli McCullough (Brosnan) from good-natured innocent to calculating killer. He loses everything on the wild frontier, setting him on the path to building a ranching-and-oil dynasty of unsurpassed wealth and privilege. The series deftly explores how Eli's ruthlessness and quest for power triggers consequences that span generations, as the McCullough's rise to become one the most powerful family dynasties in Texas.

In the premiere episode, "First Son of Texas," directed by Tom Harper and written by Philipp Meyer, Brian McGreevy and Lee Shipman, in 1849 young Eli (Jacob Lofland) must survive a brutal frontier Comanche attack in 1849 then lead his family's empire through difficult times in 1915. In the second episode, "The Plum Tree," directed by Kevin Dowling and written by Daniel C. Connolly, in 1849 young Eli must learn how to live among the Comanches. In 1915, Eli and Pete (Henry Garrett) clash over how to respond to an unexpected attack on their home.

"The Son" is executive produced by showrunner Kevin Murphy ("Defiance"), co-creators Philipp Meyer, Brian McGreevy ("Hemlock Grove") and Lee Shipman ("Hemlock Grove"), director Tom Harper ("War & Peace," "Peaky Blinders") and Sonar Entertainment's Jenna Santoianni and Tom Lesinski. In addition to Brosnan, cast members include Jacob Lofland ("Justified," "Texas Rising," Maze Runner), Henry Garrett (Beauty and the Beast, "Poldark"), Paola Nunez ("Amor en Custodia"), Carlos Bardem (Assassin's Creed), Zahn McClarnon ("Fargo"), Jess Weixler ("The Good Wife"), David Wilson Barnes (Capote, The Bourne Legacy), Sydney Lucas (Fun Home), James Parks (The Hateful Eight, "Deadwood") and Elizabeth Frances ("Love").

A little surprised to see that this was from the EP and Showrunner of the SyFy series "Defiance"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4Ft9vsjqy0Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Behind the scenes at the series

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GF6kRlBd89Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-09-17, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Defiance was basically a Western set on a future Earth with aliens in the mix. That makes me far more likely to watch The Son.
Old 04-09-17, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
FYI, this premiered last night.

128 minute premiere (2 episodes) 10 episode season. Don't know how many of you recorded or were aware of it. I'm sure AMC will have plenty of re-airs.
I'm totally confused. I just went to put this into my DVR, but there's only a couple of re-showings this week, and they're all for episode 2, and according to the TV listings, the one next Sunday is episode 4.

I have AMC in Canada, so I don't know if the DVR listings are incorrect or if there's something weird with the airings I'm missing.

OT: I didn't realize Better Call Saul starts tomorrow. If it wasn't for this thread I would have missed that too.
Old 04-09-17, 06:30 PM

I recorded hope to check it out this week
Old 04-09-17, 06:34 PM

Okay I only watched a few minutes of it last night but right off the bat I have to ask: is Brosnan supposed to be in his late 70s/early 80s???
Old 04-09-17, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched the two episodes earlier today and while I liked it, the age thing that skywalker brought up is true...the episode starts out with like a 15 year old Brosnan in 1849, and then jumps to 1915 as Brosnan, making the character around 80...Brosnan doesn't look nearly that old.
Old 04-10-17, 06:55 AM

Doesn't it jump to various times, or is it just set in 1849 and 1915? Would seem weird if Brosnan is just playing the character at 80. Why not get an older actor for the part? Sam Neill was initially cast - same thing.
Old 05-14-17, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...season-1003331

Renewed for a 2nd season yesterday.
Old 05-14-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...season-1003331

Renewed for a 2nd season yesterday.
Shit. The only reason I'm still watching is 'cause I thought this was going to be a one-and-done miniseries. Everything about this show, from the acting, to the story-telling, to the look is very remedial. When there are so many high quality cable and streaming shows out there, its hard to justify the time spent watching something that might as well be on one of the regular networks.
Old 04-27-18, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it only took me an entire year to catch up on it. I just finished the series off and found it quite good myself. The first couple of episodes were a little rough but The Son actually gets better with each episode.

I hadn't realized it got renewed, the season finale left some things hanging but it felt like a logical ending point. I also am not sure how the show's storytelling structure, with duelling narratives set in the present and the past, will keep working in a second season.
Old 07-30-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I was the only one that stuck around for The Son's two satisfying seasons. It just finished up last month on AMC and was the best show on TV that no one watched. AMC canceled it but these were both very good seasons. You could tell season two had gaps in Eli's life story that were likely to be filled in by future seasons if The Son had been renewed.

Pierce Brosnan looked like he was having an immense amount of fun playing Eli, a grizzled Texas oil man that ended up living with a Native American tribe for several years as a young man. Definitely worth a watch if you enjoy Westerns and compelling drama.
Old 01-17-20, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Having just watched Bad Boys For Life last night and discovering Paola Nuñez, I will definitely be fast tracking these two seasons. They're both on HULU now.