DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   SyFy Presents: Live from Comic Con -- 3 Night Event Premieres 7/21/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/635277-syfy-presents-live-comic-con-3-night-event-premieres-7-21-16-a.html)

DJariya 07-21-16 12:19 PM

SyFy Presents: Live from Comic Con -- 3 Night Event Premieres 7/21/16

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7f&oe=5826950D

THURSDAY, JULY 21- SATURDAY, JULY 23

SYFY PRESENTS LIVE FROM COMIC-CON - @ 8/7c *NIGHTLY LIVE TELECAST*

Each night, host Will Arnett will invite hundreds of fans at SYFY PRESENTS LIVE FROM COMIC-CON's outdoor stage to discuss and engage in the Con's breaking news, insider party coverage, exclusive content and sneak peeks of the most anticipated films and TV series. Arnett will also conduct interviews with the biggest stars from the hottest franchises during this unprecedented three-night broadcast, bringing non-stop action and fan surprises directly to viewers across the country. The live broadcast will also feature the show's "Social Lounge" where talent appearing on the show and from the Convention can come through and participate in social activations.

This airs Thursday through Saturday Live at 8pm ET.

I already plan to watch this as I hope they cover some interesting things, news and show some trailers etc. If you don't live in California and aren't going to Comic Con, this might be an interesting watch.

MLBFan24 07-21-16 02:43 PM

Re: SyFy Presents: Live from Comic Con -- 3 Night Event Premieres 7/21/16

I'll definitely check it out. Getting tired of viewing the YouTube videos year after year as a way to catch up on the panels. Finally get a dedicated show for comic con.

Orbi-Wan Techno 07-21-16 02:47 PM

How late does this run? I'm seeing Star Trek tonight, and won't be home until 10 or so...

DJariya 07-21-16 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by N2DVD (Post 12856241)
How late does this run? I'm seeing Star Trek tonight, and won't be home until 10 or so...

Only 1 hour each night and no re-airs.

windom 07-21-16 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12856077)
This is the 1st time any network has broadcast live from Comic Con.

Didn't G4 used to broadcast live from Comic Con?

DJariya 07-21-16 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 12856264)
Didn't G4 used to broadcast live from Comic Con?

I just looked it up and you're right. Directv had G4 and then dropped it in 2010 so I never saw any of their coverage.

DJariya 07-21-16 05:59 PM

Expected guests over the next 3 nights

Thursday, July 21

The cast of Star Trek Beyond (Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, Idris Elba, John Cho, Sofia Boutella and Director Justin Lin)
Alan Tudyk (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Firefly, Powerless)
Eric Christian Olsen (NCIS: Los Angeles)
Rose McIver (iZombie)
Tony Hale (Veep)
Zachary Levi (Heroes Reborn)

Friday, July 22

Derek Waters (Drunk History)
Jaimie Alexander (Blindspot)
Norman Reedus & Steven Yeun (The Walking Dead)
The cast of Mr. Robot (Rami Malek, Christian Slater, Carly Chaikin, Portia Doubleday, Grace Gummer)
Will Forte (Last Man on Earth)
Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple)

Saturday, July 23

Andre Meadows (“Black Nerd Comedy”)
David Giuntoli (Grimm)
Mercedes Mason (Fear the Walking Dead)
Tara Reid (Sharknado: The 4th Awakens)
The cast of Dirk Gently (Elijah Wood, Samuel Barnett and creator Max Landis)
The Magicians party recap with the cast (Jason Ralph, Olivia Taylor Dudley, Stella Maeve, Arjun Gupta, Hale Appleman, Summer Bishil)
The cast of Timeless (Matt Lanter, Abigail Spencer, Goran Visnjic and Malcom Barrett)
Also, probably more people will show up but you'll have to tune in for that.

Who's pumped for the Con? We're pumped for the Con! Enhance your own pumpitude by watching Will Arnett get into go mode

OldBoy 07-21-16 06:28 PM

So glad I saw this. Thanks DJ. In for the 3 hours...

MLBFan24 07-22-16 12:05 AM

For me, Night 1 was a boring episode. Though, I expect Night 2 and 3 to bring the good stuff, so I'll continue to watch.

Had no interest in any of the Night 1 guests. Zzzzzzzz

DJariya 07-22-16 12:58 AM

First show was terrible. Such a missed opportunity. Lame guests and hardly any talk or footage from the Con. The only thing that was sort of interesting was the premiere party footage of Star Trek Beyond.

Way too much time wasted on Tony Hale. That second segment with him was unwatchable.

The Con action doesn't really pick up until Friday and Saturday, so hopefully Night 2 will be better.

1 hour simply wasn't enough time to show any good stuff. SyFy screwed themselves only scheduling 1 hour per night.

Josh-da-man 07-22-16 01:20 AM

Awful.

I was hoping they'd go around the convention showing some of the displays and cosplayers with some celebrity interviews.

Instead we got a weak-assed talk show with Fez and Tony Hale (who the fuck is he?), and too much Sharknado promotion.

DWilson 07-22-16 08:10 AM

I didn't mind the first segment, -Tudyk, McIver and Levi have Comicon-related credentials, -but Tony Hale and Valderama really didn't belong here and the rest of the hour (particularly Hale's segment) was a total waste of time.

windom 07-22-16 12:33 PM

You guys do know that Conan is doing his shows from Comic Con this week, right? He already had on (some of) the cast of Silicon Valley and the leads of the CW superhero shows (Supergirl, Arrow, The Flash). Also Bruce Campbell made an appearance and Will Arnett too. I think there are two shows left, Saturday & Sunday night which are supposed to have the casts of Suicide Squad and Game of Thrones.

Josh-da-man 07-22-16 02:26 PM

Shit, I forgot about Conan. He did Comicon that last year, too.

Thanks for the reminder!

windom 07-23-16 12:22 PM

Also, the first episode of Kevin Smith's and Greg Grunberg's "Geeking Out" will be on AMC tomorrow night. I think it's supposed to be Comic Con focused.

MLBFan24 07-23-16 04:34 PM

This shit is still terrible.

Josh-da-man 07-23-16 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 12857645)
This shit is still terrible.

Yeah, isn't it?

Looks like they weren't even allowed access inside Comic Con, so they're just set up outside of the building. :lol:

What's the deal with giving long, boring interviews to Fez and Will Forte and the guy from Veep?

MLBFan24 07-23-16 06:03 PM

My friend runs a tv and movie fansite (low budget, podcasting, free giveaways, etc). Anyways, my point is that I've received more legitimate comic con news from his live Facebook feeds than I have from this terrible SyFy show.

He did live fb feeds of a NCIS and Last Ship press junket, so you get some interesting video clips at a roundtable setting with some of the stars.

On this SyFy show, all you get is Will Arnett reliving his Arrested Development glory days like a middle aged man still talking about being the captain of his shitty high school football team.

DJariya 07-23-16 08:44 PM

Night 2 was actually not as bad as the 1st show.

Will actually talked a little more about Comic Con, showed some more clips and trailers. And the guests/interviews were a little more interesting except that extended gab fest with Will Forte. That went on too long.

Getting Reedus and Yeun from The Walking Dead was not too bad.

But, as Josh said, they still didn't show any footage from inside the floors. I fast forwarded through that lame Sharknado contest.

But, I still feel like this was a missed opportunity. This feels more like a Pilot for a Will Arnett talk show than an actual Comic Con show.

DJariya 07-23-16 09:34 PM

Not that this 3 night special was any good, but it went out on a thud.

Hardly anything worthwhile covered. The stuff in the 1st segment showing Justice League and Wonder Woman footage probably 99% of America watched prior to the broadcast.

-eek- Good God. Was that actually Tara Reid? She looked almost unrecognizable. Looked like a skeleton. Was it just me or did her speech sound slurred? Maybe she had 1 too many before going to air? ;) That was kind of uncomfortable to watch.

That costume contest was lame and really? That girl used the name Isis? :lol:

That Sharknado contest was lame. Basically just SyFy using that segment to plug the movie next week.

and why spend 2 segments talking to Elijah Wood and company? I would have rather talked to Tatiana Maslany instead of her just popping up at the end.

If this comes back next year, I won't be watching. What a waste. :lol:

DJariya 07-21-17 12:03 AM

So this came back tonight since this is Comic Con weekend. Aired at 11pm ET. Guessing most here didn't stay up for it or didn't watch.

New host this time....Zach Levi from Chuck. I'll give them credit, he's a better host than Arnett last year. More in line with the Comic Con demographic.

I know my last post from above ^^ 1 year ago said I wasn't going to watch, but I decided to give it a whirl tonight.

Again, they don't cover a damn thing about the Con. 1st segment was a panel with Levi, James Roday, Mercedes Mason and some nerd Sci-fi writers talking about Dr. Who, Stranger Things and Game of Thrones. Nothing Con related.

-eek- and damn Mercedes Mason's dress. Total J-Lo dress from years ago.

Next Segment Craig Robinson and Adam Scott promote their new FOX series. They play some stupid game.

Last segment, Tricia Helfer, Grace Park and a few members of Battlestar Galactica reunite and talk about the show.

Nothing pertaining to the Con at all. Granted Thursday is Preview night, but still man. I guess SDCC doesn't allow them to film inside or something.

DJariya 07-21-17 12:05 AM

I think I'm going to subscribe to the Comic Con HQ channel for another month like last year to actually get the news and panels. It's only $5/month.

This show is so frustrating. They can do so much more, but choose to just make it any other pop culture entertainment show.

MLBFan24 07-21-17 01:28 AM

I refuse to get suckered into this show again!

Conan's Comic Con specials are more entertaining than this.

YouTube is the best bet for comic con "video" news these days, no surprise

PhantomStranger 07-21-17 12:33 PM

This show is basically mediocre shilling for whatever the guest celebrity is pitching. These faux nerd promotional vehicles never work out because they are designed as advertisements, but completely whitewash the fanboy community's vocal criticisms.

This was evident in the Doctor Who panel discussion and the controversy of having a female Doctor.

I really wish San Diego's promoters would change the name from Comic Con to Movie Con or Nerd Con. Mile High Comics finally pulled out this year after showing up for decades.

mrhan 07-21-17 01:25 PM

The 1st. ep. is On Demand. Scanned through it. Pretty boring.