DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Re: 2016 Emmy Nominations

Nothing for The Leftovers
Old 07-14-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy for The Americans. But yeah, they could easily nominate the full cast. I didn't check the whole list, but the teenage daughter deserved a nomination.

And yeah, WTF with Homeland, and Claire Danes receiving nominations. Are you kidding me?
Old 07-14-16, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

SO happy David Schwimmer got nominated. I was worried with all those showy (and, granted, good) performances around him that he'd be passed over. His was my favorite performance in 'The People vs. OJ Simpson' and I think it's the best performance of his career.
Old 07-14-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
That said TJ or Zach Woods should have gotten in over Andre Braugher or Tony Hale who are basically on autopilot with their roles now.
I love both TJ Miller and Zach Woods but think that Gary's moments in 'Mother' ("Praying for a miracle!") and his end of season meltdown totally justify the Tony Hale nomination.

Hope The Americans wins everything it possibly can.
Old 07-14-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Nice to see The Americans finally getting the recognition they deserve.

Wish The Grinder/Rob Lowe got nominated. Modern Family shouldn't be getting nominations anymore.
Old 07-14-16, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

People vs OJ deserves everything!
Old 07-15-16, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3

And yeah, WTF with Homeland, and Claire Danes receiving nominations. Are you kidding me?
I am big Homeland fan, but the show is a shell of itself anymore. The creators really gave Carrie some good character development and good dramatic scenes in the first few seasons that led to her Emmy nomination. But the show is basically '24' these days and she doesn't do anything dramatic to warrant a nomination other then run around be Superman?
Old 07-15-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

It is a crime Kelly Ripa did not get nominated for best actress for the series finale of Kelly & Michael.
Old 07-15-16, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I am big Homeland fan, but the show is a shell of itself anymore. The creators really gave Carrie some good character development and good dramatic scenes in the first few seasons that led to her Emmy nomination. But the show is basically '24' these days and she doesn't do anything dramatic to warrant a nomination other then run around be Superman?
Oh yeah, I'm actually a show watcher. Not hate watching, I'm just used to watching the show. Every year I make an excuse why I keep watching.
Old 07-15-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

OUTSTANDING DRAMA
The Americans
Better Call Saul
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
Homeland
House of Cards
Mr Robot

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Kyle Chandler, Bloodlines
Rami Malek, Mr Robot
Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
Matthew Rhys, The Americans
Liev Schreiber, Ray Donovan
Kevin Spacey, House of Cards

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Claire Danes, Homeland
Viola Davis, How To Get Away With Murder
Taraji P Henson, Empire
Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black
Keri Russell, The Americans,
Robin Wright, House of Cards

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Lena Headey, Game of Thrones
Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones
Maisie Williams, Game of Thrones
Maura Tierney, The Affair

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Jonathan Banks, Better Call Saul
Ben Mendelsohn, Bloodline
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Kit Harington, Game of Thrones
Michael Kelly, House of Cards
Jon Voight, Ray Donovan

LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Anthony Anderson, black-ish
Aziz Ansari, Masters of None
Will Forte, The Last Man on Earth
William H Macy, Shameless
Thomas Middleditch, Silicon Valley
Jeffrey Tambor, Transparent

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Niecy Nash, Getting On
Allison Janney, Mom
Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live
Judith Light, Transparent
Gaby Hoffmann, Transparent
Anna Chlumsky, Veep

GUEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Bob Newhart, The Big Bang Theory
Tracy Morgan, Saturday Night Live
Larry David, Saturday Night Live
Bradley Whitford, Transparent
Martin Mull, Veep
Peter MacNicol, Veep

LIMITED SERIES
American Crime
Fargo
The Night Manager
The People v. OJ Simpson
Roots

LEAD ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE
Kristen Dunst, Fargo
Felicity Huffman, American Crime
Audra McDonald, Billie Holiday: Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar & Grill
Sarah Paulson, The People V OJ Simpson
Lili Taylor, American Crime
Kerry Washington, Confirmation

LEAD ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE
Bryan Cranston, All The Way
Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock: The Abominable Bride
Ibris Alba, Luther
Cuba Gooding Jr, The People V OJ Simpson
Tom Hiddleston, The Night Manager
Courtney B. Vance, The People V OJ Simpson

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE
Jesse Plemons, Fargo
Bokeem Woodbine, Fargo
Hugh Laurie, The Night Manager
Sterling K. Brown, People v. O.J. Simpson
David Schwimmer, People v. O.J. Simpson
John Travolta, People v. O.J. Simpson
Old 07-17-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

No nomination for Penny Dreadful and especially Eva Green? For me her performance in a coupe of the episodes this season were award winning. I look at the lists and it's truly sad. If shit like Big Bang Theory can be considered award winning then it shows what little worth these awards have. And seriously....resort tv host and game show host? Who cares. Johnathan Banks should win, but he has competition. Also, can someone explain to me how Emilia Clarke can be nominated? Her acting skills leave a lot to be desired, and she is one of the weakest performers in GoT.
Old 07-17-16, 07:05 PM

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
People vs OJ deserves everything!
Yea, Kristen Dunst and the Fargo cast would have gotten my vote but The People vs OJ made that all go away.
Old 07-17-16, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I still found Fargo better than People vs OJ. It's a toss up in terms of acting (Paulson and Vance especially), but the writing was much, much better on Fargo.
Old 07-17-16, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I really hope Courtney B. Vance wins for the People vs. OJ Simpson. He was fantastic. Same goes for Sterling K. Brown.

I think OJ is practically a lock for limited series win. Fargo's second season was well reviewed, but it really didn't have the same kind of buzz as OJ did.
Agree, but FARGO was significantly better.
Old 07-18-16, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Also, can someone explain to me how Emilia Clarke can be nominated? Her acting skills leave a lot to be desired, and she is one of the weakest performers in GoT.
I am a big fan of her character on the show, but they honestly don't give her much to do in terms of acting on this show. I don't know if she is a great actress cause they have never given her anything that would show her range.
Old 09-12-16, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Amy Poehler finally wins and 'Game of Thrones' wins big at the Creative Arts Emmys

"Game of Thrones," "Veep," Amy Poehler and "The People vs. O.J. Simpson" all took home awards at the Creative Arts Emmys. (HBO / Mark Boster/Los Angeles Times / Ray Mickshaw/FX)
Libby Hill

Amy Poehler has lost out on winning an Emmy a frustrating 16 times. But nomination No. 17 proved to be her lucky number Saturday, making her win one of the highlights of the first night of the Creative Arts Emmys,

Poehler finally took home a statue for best comedy series guest actress alongside Tina Fey for their stint hosting the Christmas episode of “Saturday Night Live.” The duo’s win marked the first time in Emmy history that joint winners have been awarded for an acting category.

Another twist came during the evening when Peter Scolari won for guest actor in a comedy series for “Girls.” When Emmy nominations were announced July 14, Scolari was not among the names called.

Peter MacNicol of “Veep” had his nomination in the category revoked because he appeared in too many episodes during Season 5 to retain guest actor status.

Meanwhile, HBO’s fantasy powerhouse “Game of Thrones” was the big winner in the technical categories, nabbing nine awards including drama series casting, makeup and costuming.

The wins come a week before the main ceremony for the Primetime Emmy Awards.

The nine awards for “Game of Thrones” is one more than the series earned at the Creative Arts Emmys last year, even as its overall nominations for this year’s Emmy Awards are down from 2015 — 23 to last year’s 24.

Other big winners from the night include FX’s “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story” which nabbed four awards for limited series, including casting and hair styling.

HBO took home the most Emmys of any network during Saturday night’s ceremony with 11, but FX also had plenty to celebrate with 10 awards, with “American Horror Story: Hotel” and “Fargo” both garnering multiple statues.

Included in FX’s haul was the award for guest actress in a drama series, won by Margo Martindale of “The Americans” for the second consecutive year.

Hank Azaria of Showtime’s “Ray Donovan” took home the award for guest actor in a drama series.

Though not televised live, the Creative Arts Emmys, which is largely dedicated to those who work behind the scenes, will be aired in edited fashion at 8 p.m. Saturday on FXX.

The Primetime Emmy Awards will air live on ABC at 4 p.m. Sept. 18.

A complete list of winners from the first night of the Creative Arts Emmys can be found below. The second night of festivities is scheduled to take place later Sunday.

Outstanding Casting for a Limited Series, Movie or Special “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”

Outstanding Casting for a Comedy “Veep”

Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series “Game of Thrones”

Outstanding Hairstyling for a Limited Series or Movie “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”

Outstanding Hairstyling for a Single-Camera Series “Downton Abbey”

Outstanding Creative Achievement in Interactive Media Multiplatform Storytelling Archer Scavenger Hunt

Original Interactive Program Henry

Social TV Experience “@Midnight with Chris Hardwick”

User Experience and Visual Design Cartoon Network App Experience

Outstanding Makeup for a Limited Series or Movie (Non-Prosthetic) “American Horror Story: Hotel”

Outstanding Makeup for a Single-Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic) “Game of Thrones”

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series Tina Fey & Amy Poehler

Outstanding Costumes for a Contemporary Series, Limited Series or Movie “American Horror Story: Hotel”

Outstanding Costumes for a Period/Fantasy Series, Limited Series or Movie “Game of Thrones”

Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Program (Half-Hour or Less) “Transparent”

Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Contemporary or Fantasy Program (One Hour or More) “Game of Thrones”

Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Period Program (One Hour or More) “Downton Abbey”

Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music “Marvel's Jessica Jones”

Outstanding Original Main Title Design “The Man in the High Castle”

Outstanding Cinematography for a Multi-Camera Series “Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn”

Outstanding Cinematography for a Limited Series or Movie “Fargo”

Outstanding Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series “The Man in the High Castle”

Governors Award “American Idol”

Outstanding Music Direction “Danny Elfman's Music from the Films of Tim Burton”

Outstanding Music Composition for a Limited Series, Movie or Special (Original Dramatic Score) “The Night Manager”

Outstanding Music Composition for a Series (Original Dramatic Score) “Mr. Robot”

Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics “The Hunting Ground”

Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Comedy Series or a Variety Program “Shameless”

Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Limited Series or Movie “Game of Thrones”

Outstanding Special Visual Effects “Game of Thrones”

Outstanding Special Visual Effects in a Supporting Role “Sherlock: The Abominable Bride (Masterpiece)”

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series Peter Scolari

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Limited Series or Movie “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”

Outstanding Multi-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series “The Big Bang Theory”

Outstanding Sound Editing for a Series “Black Sails”

Outstanding Sound Editing for a Limited Series, Movie or Special“Fargo”

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series Hank Azaria

Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One-Hour) “Game of Thrones”

Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (Half-Hour) and Animation “Mozart in the Jungle”

Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Limited Series or Movie “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”

Outstanding Commercial Love Has No Labels

Outstanding Interactive Program “The Late Late Show with James Corden”

Outstanding Narrator Keith David

Outstanding Children's Program “It's Your 50th Christmas, Charlie Brown!”

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series Margo Martindale
Old 09-12-16, 09:22 AM

I told you guys, the Emmys are only aware that Margot Martindale is on The Americans. She wins again for another tiny performance. The year she was actually given a meaty storyline, she wasn't nominated.

The L.A. Times story above somehow missed the biggest story coming out of last night's Emmys, so I'll post it from another site :

Last year, Game of Thrones capped off its most controversial season by making history, setting a record for the most Emmys won by a single show in a single year with 12. (The previous record-holder was The West Wing with nine.) Now, adding to its impressive reign, Game of Thrones has officially won more Emmy awards than any other drama in television history.

When it comes to drama, Game Of Thrones is The Mountain, out to crush the competition.

The HBO fantasy epic nabbed nine awards at the 2016 Creative Arts Emmys on Saturday (September 10), which means now it has a whopping 35 Emmys to its name. And Melisandre didn't even need to make a blood sacrifice!

The seminal Season 6 episode "Battle of the Bastards" claimed the most awards, winning four Emmys for visual effects, editing, sound mixing, and makeup. Michele Clapton also took home an Emmy for her costume designs for the season finale, "The Winds of Winter." (We can undoubtedly thank Queen Cersei's badass, yet elegant AF armor for that one.)

Game of Thrones earned a total of 23 Emmy nominations this year, and with another eight nominations still in play at this Sunday's Primetime Emmy Awards — including Supporting Actor nominations for Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Emmy winner Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), and Emilia Clark (Daenerys Targaryen) — the series could potentially widen the gap even further. Not to mention, it has a title to defend; Game of Thrones took home the night's top prize, the Emmy for Outstanding Drama, last year. (And that was for one of the show's weaker seasons.)
Old 09-12-16, 09:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The Oscars need to follow Emmy's example and push more awards off to another night.
Old 09-12-16, 09:30 AM

And hey, checking the internet some more, apparently there were actually TWO nights of Creative Arts Emmys. Here's a story on night #2 :

Making a Murderer and Grease: Live Win at Second Night of Creative Arts Emmys
By Matthew Dessem

Netflix’s Making a Murderer won four Creative Arts Emmys Sunday night.

After an opening night dominated by Game of Thrones, the Television Academy turned its attention to documentaries, unscripted television, and musical and variety shows for the second night of the Creative Arts Emmys. While no show came close to Game of Thrones’ table-running nine awards Saturday night, both Netflix’s true crime documentary Making a Murderer and Fox’s Grease: Live took home four Emmys. Making a Murderer won Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series, as well as the nonfiction series awards for outstanding writing, directing, and picture editing. Grease: Live, a live production of the 1971 musical, won Outstanding Special Class Program, as well as awards for technical direction, camerawork, and video control, lighting design/lighting direction, and production design.

On the network level, HBO pulled farther ahead of the other networks, with awards for Jim: The James Foley Story, Project Greenlight, Vice, and two awards for Last Week Tonight With John Oliver bringing the network’s total to 16. FX picked up Best Animated Series for Archer and Outstanding Short Form Nonfiction or Animated Series for Inside Look: The People v O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, bringing them to second place with 12 Emmys so far. Even with Making a Murderer’s wins Sunday night and another trophy for What Happened, Miss Simone?, Netflix was in a distant third, with six Emmys. A complete list of Sunday night’s winners is here. The Creative Arts Emmy Awards will be broadcast on FXX on Saturday, Sept. 17; the main Emmy Awards will be on ABC on Sept. 18.
Old 09-12-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
The Oscars need to follow Emmy's example and push more awards off to another night.
The oscars needs to have less terrible "bits"
Old 09-12-16, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
No nomination for Penny Dreadful and especially Eva Green? For me her performance in a coupe of the episodes this season were award winning. I look at the lists and it's truly sad. If shit like Big Bang Theory can be considered award winning then it shows what little worth these awards have. And seriously....resort tv host and game show host? Who cares. Johnathan Banks should win, but he has competition. Also, can someone explain to me how Emilia Clarke can be nominated? Her acting skills leave a lot to be desired, and she is one of the weakest performers in GoT.
If you're talking about Penny Dreadful Season 3, most of those episodes aired after the cutoff, so I'm guessing the entire season got pushed to next years nominations? Season 2 should still have been viable
Old 09-18-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Bump

Emmy Awards are tonight. 8pm ET/5pm PT on ABC

Jimmy Kimmel is hosting
Old 09-18-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Just read this article on The Ringer and damn if it isn't a fantastic idea. Each actor/actress can only win an award once for playing a character and a show can only win best show once. With so much good television on this would eliminate so much of the emmy nonsense where the same shows/actors get the awards year after year.

https://theringer.com/one-win-emmys-...bbc#.z3kyeq5kr
Old 09-18-16, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Louie Anderson just won Best Supporting Actor for Baskets

Last edited by RichC2; 09-18-16 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-18-16, 09:21 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Maura Tierney was robbed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.