DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Tyrant (FX) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/6/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/635139-tyrant-fx-season-3-thread-premieres-7-6-16-a.html)

dex14 07-06-16 06:47 AM

Tyrant (FX) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/6/16

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...4f&oe=580063C0

Tyrant, the drama from Emmy(R) and Golden Globe(R) Award-winning Executive Producer Howard Gordon, will return to FX for its third season on Wednesday, July 6 at 10 pm ET/PT. Tyrant is the story of an unassuming American family drawn into the inner workings of a turbulent Middle Eastern nation. Bassam "Barry" Al-Fayeed (Adam Rayner), the youngest son of a war-torn country's controversial dictator, returns to his homeland after a self-imposed 20-year exile in America, only to be forced back into the treacherous familial and national politics of his youth. When his brother, Jamal (Ashraf Barhom), assumes the presidency, Barry hopes to introduce humanitarian freedoms to his homeland. Before long, it becomes clear that Jamal lacks any sense of morality or justice, so Barry colludes with the U.S. government to overthrow him. The plan fails and Barry narrowly escapes execution. Determined to end the corrupt Al-Fayeed rule, Barry, under the alias "Khaled," joins the insurgency, and quickly becomes a leader, and a symbol of freedom and hope. When the Caliphate targets Abuddin, Barry and Jamal become unlikely allies. They defeat the invaders but just as Jamal prepares to make a triumphant address to his people, he is shot. Jamal's fate is unclear and the future of Abuddin is once again in Barry's hands. Tyrant is executive produced by Howard Gordon, Chris Keyser, Gideon Raff and Avi Nir. The series stars Adam Rayner, Jennifer Finnigan, Moran Atias, Ashraf Barhom, Noah Silver, Alexander Karim, Cameron Gharaee, Melia Kreiling and Chris Noth. Tyrant is produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Adam Rayner as Barry
· Anne Winters as Emma
· Ashraf Barhom as Jamal
· Fares Fares as Fauzi Nadal
· Jennifer Finnigan as Molly
· Jordana Spiro as Dana
· Justin Kirk as John Tucker
· Mehdi Dehbi as Abdul
· Moran Atias as Leila
· Noah Silver as Sammy
· Salim Daw as Yussef
· Sibylla Deen as Nusrat

CREW INFORMATION:
· Craig Wright as CRTR/EP
· David Yates as DIR (Pilot)
· Gideon Raff as EP
· Howard Gordon as EP

Episode 1 / Production #301 - "Spring" (Airs July 6, 10:00 pm e/p) - With Jamal's life in danger and Abuddin on the verge of plunging into chaos, Barry steps forward as interim president and sets the stage for democratic elections. Daliyah takes a leading role in the nation, bringing her close to Barry. Swept up in the tides of revenge, army leaders overstep their bounds in securing peace. An American General who shares history with Leila arrives in Abuddin. Written by Christopher Keyser; directed by Gwyneth Horder-Payton.
10 episode third season.

Osiris3657 07-06-16 07:22 AM

Re: Tyrant (FX) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/6/16

Jamal's life in danger? So dumb, he was killed last year in the finale. Keeping him alive (more like bringing him back to life) is bad writing.

I'll be watching anyways, I have to believe this is the final season...

starseed1981 07-06-16 08:48 AM

Yeah, there were some exceedingly stupid storylines last year. I'm in for this season initially.

DJariya 07-14-16 04:02 PM

Just saw the 1st episode. It was kind of long at around 75 minutes.

Jamal was barely in it. He had 1 scene with Barry, while lying unconscious in the hospital. Yeah, those gunshot wounds that he got should have been fatal, but this is TV, not real life.

A little surprised that they executed Nusrat so fast. But, what was she expecting? She tried to assassinate the President of the country. She was going crazy like she was expecting some kind of reprieve.

BTW, I hate it when shows like this make up fictional Middle Eastern countries because they don't want to offend a real life Middle Eastern country.

I'm frankly quite surprised that Tyrant has made it to a 3rd season. Not talking about this board specifically (since it barely draws any attention here), but it's never been a very popular show overall. Only gets average ratings on FX and the cast is mostly no-names. The entertainment press hardly even talks about it except maybe a blurb here and there from what I can tell. Tyrant is a watchable Middle Eastern political drama, but I can see why no one is really screaming to talk about it.

Jackskeleton 07-15-16 05:37 AM

I still wonder why I watch this. Wow. They sure dispatched of the half son in such a stupid fashion.

Osiris3657 07-25-16 07:31 PM

And the killing off of the cast continues...this last episode was a dark one.

Ahmed suffocates his dad after he learns he raped his wife, then Emma is killed after a failed rescue mission.

I have to believe the show's producers were just as surprised as the rest of us when FX renewed it, so now they are just killing everyone off.

Jackskeleton 07-25-16 08:38 PM

yeah, this is a very strange way to go about with the show. What was the point of NOT killing him with the gunshots if you're just going to do that?

cultshock 07-25-16 09:52 PM

Yeah, a lot of dumb things happen on this show but I still enjoy watching it on a summer "popcorn" TV show level. :lol:

DJariya 07-26-16 06:29 PM

-eek- Jesus!! Last week's episode was dark as shit.

Wow, 1st Jamal and then Emma.

Yeah I'm guessing the Producers and Writers of this show are just mailing it in and killing off characters.

Barry's daughter getting murdered before his eyes might drive him to madness and actually becoming a Tyrant.

That rescue operation was a fucking disaster.

:thumbsup: Jennifer Finnigan really sold that sold seeing her character's daughter murdered. really gut wrenching.

starseed1981 07-27-16 08:53 AM

I'm off this train. The writers have no clue what they are doing.

Red Dog 07-28-16 05:34 PM

I actually think this season works much better than the first 2. But cultshock is right - it's nothing special, and could be so much better, but I find it entertaining.

Jamal was a terrible character (not terrible as in evil but so poorly written and acted) from the very start, so getting rid of him helps.

DJariya 07-28-16 09:40 PM

Usually stars rarely reply back to Tweets, but I sent Jennifer Finnigan (Molly) a tweet complementing her work in last week's episode. She actually replied back within a day with a nice reply and retweeted my comment.

Jamal felt like a poorly written and acted Middle Eastern caricature.

Axeramm 07-29-16 01:51 AM

was she taking pills before her husband found her laying on the bed? Is he going to be there in the chair watching her while she dies from an OD?

Toonview 07-29-16 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12860045)

Barry's daughter getting murdered before his eyes might drive him to madness and actually becoming a Tyrant

This.

My feeling is that this is where things are headed, but it will take a bit more than the daughter's death. But that was the first step. I just hope it all moves along more quickly because her death was a tough thing to ask the audience to go with.

Osiris3657 07-29-16 06:22 PM

Yea, Barry and Sammy seem to have recovered really fast from Emma's death. Molly is the only one reacting believably.

Also this whole introduction of Ahmed actually being Barry's son is just too much (I can't blame Barry for banging Leila back in the day though, she's so hot).

This has to be the last season, I'll see it through to the end.

Toonview 07-29-16 11:48 PM

The thing is, Jamal was by far the most interesting character to me. There's pretty much nothing else going on here that I find interesting. I'm not planning to bail yet, but I sincerely hope this is all leading somewhere worth going to.

Doc Moonlight 07-31-16 08:46 AM

There have been reports on tvline that TYRANT has been "unofficially" cancelled.

dex14 09-07-16 11:45 AM

Tyrant’s reign on FX will come to an end this Wednesday night at 10/9c, with its Season 3 finale doubling as a likely series finale.

In announcing the drama’s end on the cabler, FX Networks CEO John Landgraf said in a statement, “The creators of Tyrant have done their utmost over three seasons to tell American audiences a tiny fraction of the many gripping, human stories coursing through the Middle East today. We want to thank Howard Gordon, Chris Keyser and their talented team of collaborators, including all the writers, directors, cast and crew, as well as our studio partners at Fox 21 Television Studios, for taking on Tyrant’s tremendously ambitious story with such profound dedication and respect.”

Fox 21 Television Studios President Bert Salke, meanwhile, left the door slightly open for a Season 4, somewhere.

“We feel the show is a gem and we’d love to find a way to keep it in production. That said, we want to be realistic about its prospects,” Salke said in a statement. “So for its loyal audience, tonight’s episode will be a satisfying end should the series not find another home, but also provides interesting possibilities should we be able to continue on some other platform.”
http://tvline.com/2016/09/07/tyrant-...d-season-4-fx/

Geofferson 09-07-16 01:04 PM

I have seasons 2 & 3 queued on the DVR. Worth watching? Not terribly concerned as to whether it continues with a season 4; just interested in quality programming.

starseed1981 09-07-16 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson (Post 12892906)
I have seasons 2 & 3 queued on the DVR. Worth watching? Not terribly concerned as to whether it continues with a season 4; just interested in quality programming.

Season 2 was ok until it's third act. But 3 went into sheer absurdity fairly quickly.

birdseye 09-07-16 01:37 PM

I'm in the same boat, I haven't started this season yet but have them sitting on the DVR. I thought season 2 was just ok, but the ending went off the rails some. Doesn't sound like this season was much better, if not worse.

mike7162 09-09-16 12:19 AM

This has a cast of really beautiful women, (even the ones they've killed off) and I enjoy the show on that level alone. If the show does get canceled, I have at least come away with the discovery that I have a thing for middle-eastern, or middle-eastern looking women!

phantom_azazel 09-15-16 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12892814)

watched the first ep of s3, guess ill just delete the rest off the dvr