Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 7/1/16

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 7/1/16

I liked the pairing of Three and Five in the first episode. Good trust-building going on there.

The second episode was all about Four, and it was very good. Some nice twists and an 'oh shit' ending. Kind of 'Red Wedding'-ish.
Old 09-12-16, 11:57 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I did not expect Ryo to kill his brother.
Old 09-14-16, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Dark Matter is definitely SyFy's best new show (well, 2nd season new show). I remember how we had very low expectations when it was announced...
Yeah, I wasn't 100% on this - I actually ended up entirely giving up on the pilot/show when it aired, until a couple of months ago. The pilot... it just didn't do "it" for me for some reason or another.

Bored and absent anything to watch whilst perusing Netflix in August, I went straight to the second episode (rather than resuming where I'd stopped with the pilot some time ago.) And... sure enough, it actually turned out to be a pretty darn excellent series.

Wil Wheaton simply owns here. I mean, the guy almost deserves an Emmy nomination, so great is his performance all around - evil, smarmy asshole you want to see vented into space, played down to perfection. Great look for the character, great acting - I just wish he featured in many more episodes than he has so far.

But yeah, it turned into a truly great sci-fi romp. I too was rather surprised when "you know who" was killed in cold blood in the last episode - they're really trying to emphasize that having your old memories back = bad, period.

The question I have? Why hasn't Five been turned into total darkness (Whee, she can reprise her character+performance in Silent Hill, one of my all time favorite movies... ever!), if she does indeed possess 99% of their old memories, each and every last one of the Raza's crew? Admittedly, said memories are apparently unveiled to her progressively, slowly over time in her various dreams. But if their full blown return to one character made him such a heartless and evil sociopath anew, I fail to conceive of how Five has thus far evaded their darkened stain from impacting her persona/character.

Still, an excellent show all around - something well worth the time investment for fans of kitschy sci-fi goodness. David Hewlett owns as always, as does Torri Higginson - I love the notion of these corporations owning and controlling the all of everything, pretty much.

It represents a very solid reflection of the future awaiting us, too - meaning one where government is replaced by private industry, at least vis-a-vis space and human space colonization: You best believe that, as things stand today, private industry shall indeed very much reign supreme out in space - and all their R&D/technological innovation&invention + resources accrued via mining asteroids and the like? It shall only fuel their rise to absolute power, seeing as how most all government has abandoned pushing the boundaries of mankind.

Oh, plus...? Transfer Transit is one of the coolest, more original (yet grounded in feasible future technological capability - you just need a 3D organic printer, and the means of understanding and transferring human memories/our minds and... voila! Completely possible, if only faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar into the future. But I've never seen anything like it in sci-fi so far, and it marks a totally awesome plot device/innovative idea brought to screen. Thusly, as a result, you can tell the writing staff is utterly dedicated to this show and immensely talented to writing in this genre.
Old 09-14-16, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm enjoying the second season so far. But I'm not digging the androids expanded role. The girl playing her is a horrible actress.
Old 09-15-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
I'm enjoying the second season so far. But I'm not digging the androids expanded role. The girl playing her is a horrible actress.
Same here. I wouldn't mind her too much if the android had a minor role, maybe 2 minutes per episode, but seeing more of her really dampens my enjoyment of the show. Episode 10 was especially disappointing due to how much it focused on her.
Old 09-15-16, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I did not expect Ryo to kill his brother.
The appearance of the seers was neat (and made sense) and then Ryo killing them and his brother was a surprise, but I guess made sense to him. Interesting to see where they go from here ...

Btw promo pix online of 5 in a blonde wig ... or new hair color.
Old 09-17-16, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
The appearance of the seers was neat (and made sense) and then Ryo killing them and his brother was a surprise, but I guess made sense to him. Interesting to see where they go from here ...

Btw promo pix online of 5 in a blonde wig ... or new hair color.
I have problems with that - all I can see is Jodelle as a kid in Silent Hill... the fact she is now an (extremely) attractive 22 year old is messing with me.

But back to the topic - argh what an ending. I have to wait 10+ months for resolution...? Again, argh. But this has really turned into an amazing show. I can't believe SyFy (God what a name) has developed such incredible programming.

I've already gone on over the years how ZNation is, despite being an Asylum production, is downright competitive with TWD. The Magicians? Holy crap, one of my fave shows ever. The Expanse? Equally incredible. Van Helsing looks like a must watch, for sure. Channel Zero? If they keep it with a strongly.Mature rated theme, presenting truly creepy horror? It could become a show all its own - a uniquely scary little cult fave that is unlike any other show aired in decades - the trailers sure look fantastic, just so long as it stays mature and genuinely scary goodness. The lineup SyFy is presenting is truly exceptional. And I must give them serious credit for renewing Dark Matter for a third season - unexpected, but thank god... because what a show its turned out to be.

Honestly, after SyFy ****ed over Ascension (Seriously, if I ever win the Lottery, screw Firefly - Ascension would be my "save with millions" show. Why, oh why, SyFy screwed Ascension over... ugh.) and all the Stargate failings they brought about, then becoming the reality stupid channel for a while, this is an incredible turnaround they have achieved this past year - and it all started with ZNation, which everyone expected to be just another Asylum joke.

For Dark Matter? Remember, we even still have the escapee from the other universe - is it 1? (The real Corso, that is). The other (rapey-ish) bounty hunter guy who got spaced in their verse? Someone else?

You have the entirely separate Wil Wheaton plot, too. And then the corporate war/4 and the Ishida group.

This show has multiple, separate riveting plotlines most shows would kill to have one of. If only they worked so hard and well on Stargate, we would likely still have an active Gate franchise going.

Last edited by Coladar1; 09-17-16 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-17-16, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just watched it, how in the world are they coming back from THAT!?!?!?

Great show...
Old 09-17-16, 03:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Just watched it, how in the world are they coming back from THAT!?!?!?
Through a series of short flashbacks that show how they were already off the station when we see it explode.
Old 09-17-16, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Coladar1
I have problems with that - all I can see is Jodelle as a kid in Silent Hill... the fact she is now an (extremely) attractive 22 year old is messing with me.
Yeah, I'm having the same kind of cognitive dissonance with her. And until recently, the show has refrained from sexualizing her character--what with the frumpy sweaters and flannel shirts and whatnot. Understandable since the character is supposed to be like 16 or 17.

She looked pretty hot with the blonde hair, but to add another level of weirdness, she reminded me of:

Old 09-18-16, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
Through a series of short flashbacks that show how they were already off the station when we see it explode.
That can't be true for 5 - she was with all the locked down delegates. Yes, Higginson's character told her to come with her. But if all those Corporate leaders died, at the hands of 4 and the Ishidas? We are looking at all out war... and I don't see how 5 survived. The station was going when we saw her with those delegates. They die, she died.

Which would seriously impact the show being able to go to any alternative plotlines - especially involving Wil Wheaton

But okay, seriously - why the f*** are ANY of these people risking their lives? Why the f*** aren't they all using Transfer Transit clones? And staying secure in their own fortified corporate headquarters?

We know the Raza installed such tech on the ship - so why did they go as themselves, knowing a *BOMB* was onboard? Yet we know they did, apparently, as the ship was empty when 4 took the Blink Drive. Stupidity at its maximum, no?

Everybody should be like that general six tried to kill - never themselves in public with such tech at their hands.

Last edited by Coladar1; 09-18-16 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-13-16, 09:56 AM

Since the space station was under such tight security, they probably wouldn't let their transfers (or any, for that matter) on board.

I am also glad it is coming back. I found out about this show and have watched it all within a couple weeks. The only real "flaw" is that being able to traverse multiple universes, the death of your favorite actors doesn't really have an impact, because they can always come back with slightly or hugely different personalities.
Old 11-22-16, 10:13 PM

finally caught up and yeah love this show. I also dont understand why not all meetings are held by clone. Why risk travel at all?
Old 11-23-16, 02:54 AM

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by squidget
finally caught up and yeah love this show. I also dont understand why not all meetings are held by clone. Why risk travel at all?
One reason is if the clones dies then all the memories are lost.
Old 06-19-21, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Wow. What a great season. Such a shame that the show got cancelled not for ratings reasons, but ownership reasons afte the 3rd season.

Mallozzi and Mullie make a great creative team. They knocked it out of the park on Stargate (especially with Atlantis), and they hit another home run here.

I love the characters, the actors, the writing, the direction - I wouldn't change a thing.

I even like Zoie Palmer as the android. Her style fits the part well. And the rest of the cast is outstanding. Looking forward to seeing how season 3 plays out...