Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Match Game: Alec Baldwin is a ____!

Questions Sarah Palin Didn't Answer on the Match Game
Old 07-17-16, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Man, "Match Game" tried my patience tonight with Leah Remini AND Leslie Jones. Both need to shut the fuck up and stay in their seats. So obnoxious. And Leslie, stop screaming EVERYTHING!!!
Old 07-17-16, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Disagree.
Might have been funniest one yet.
Old 07-17-16, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Man, "Match Game" tried my patience tonight with Leah Remini AND Leslie Jones. Both need to shut the fuck up and stay in their seats. So obnoxious. And Leslie, stop screaming EVERYTHING!!!
Agree 100% (and I love Leah Remini). Overall the Match Game revival has been a home run- absolutely great- but we thought this was the weakest panel yet.
Old 07-17-16, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

At one point in our lives, my wife and I would watch old Match Game episodes when I would get home late at night from a really crappy job (the job I have hated the most in my life). It was a trying time in our lives, so MG holds a special place in our hearts.

When we saw this had come back, we were really excited. We tried one episode and were unimpressed. It seemed like a mediocre SNL skit, from Baldwin's hosting to the large number of SNL cast members. With all the love here, maybe we'll give it another shot.
Old 07-17-16, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
At one point in our lives, my wife and I would watch old Match Game episodes when I would get home late at night from a really crappy job (the job I have hated the most in my life). It was a trying time in our lives, so MG holds a special place in our hearts.

When we saw this had come back, we were really excited. We tried one episode and were unimpressed. It seemed like a mediocre SNL skit, from Baldwin's hosting to the large number of SNL cast members. With all the love here, maybe we'll give it another shot.
There is nothing worse than having a job you hate. I've been there a few times myself these past 10 years. So hang in there my brother. But please do give all the Match Games a shot on ABC On Demand. I'll admit the first was the weakest. And tonight's was the worst. But they all capture the magic of the original show. Enjoy!
Old 07-17-16, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Alex Baldwin is a __________.

Hypocrite, because he hasn't moved to Canada yet.
Old 07-17-16, 11:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Disagree.
And the foulest ...wow ...was that a new high or low?
Old 07-18-16, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought last night's was pretty funny.

Maybe I'm naïve, but anyone know what word for "vagina" that Leslie Jones used that would have to be blurred, bleeped and have the panel and Baldwin acting like that?
Old 07-18-16, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Laertes
I thought last night's was pretty funny.

Maybe I'm naïve, but anyone know what word for "vagina" that Leslie Jones used that would have to be blurred, bleeped and have the panel and Baldwin acting like that?
I'm pretty sure she said "pussy".
Old 07-18-16, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure she said "pussy".
Hm. Seems like a huge reaction for "pussy," but I guess if everyone's trying to keep it appropriate for TV, maybe....
Old 07-18-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Nor was the original...which was on in the 1970s!
Funny thing is, the original Match Game was pretty boring. Networks rarely yanked bad shows off the air back then, and after 4 or 5 episodes (of 13 planned), CBS told Match Game's producers that they weren't going to renew the show. So the writers said "fuck it, we might as well have fun with it" and started slipping double entendres into the questions. Which were wildly popular with the audience. Within a couple episodes, the show became a massive success.

Also, believe it or not, Gene Rayburn was really in to... needlepoint. Before TV, he was a DJ on a radio show called Rayburn and Fitch, where he once he knitted a pair of socks as a publicity stunt. He became interested in it, and was often spotted doing needlepoint in airports, flights and restaurants. When Match Game became the #1 rated daytime show, producer Mark Goodson even gave him a fancy needlepoint bag as a gift (as in, a tote bag for transporting needlepoint projects, not a bag made from needlepoint material).

Old 07-18-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Laertes
Hm. Seems like a huge reaction for "pussy," but I guess if everyone's trying to keep it appropriate for TV, maybe....
Well, what else do you think she said......c-u-n-t !?
Old 07-18-16, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is nothing worse than having a job you hate. I've been there a few times myself these past 10 years. So hang in there my brother. But please do give all the Match Games a shot on ABC On Demand. I'll admit the first was the weakest. And tonight's was the worst. But they all capture the magic of the original show. Enjoy!
Oh no, in a much MUCH better place now ... Thank you though! That was about 15 years ago when we had 4 small kids, had just moved to a new town with no friends or family, and I was working 14 hours a day running routes for a sociopath, and not making any money.

I was just relating that the show has some deep, personal meaning for me. It became a ritual for us and was, at that point, really the only thing we could share. I was exhausted and gone all the time and she was stuck at home with 4 kids (all under 6 years old) and virtually no support. Match Game was our escape from it all. Funny what gets us through life sometimes.
Old 07-18-16, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Disagree.
Yep, Leslie Jones is a great fit for this show...

I could watch a three-hour block of these on Sundays. I know it's the lowest rated of the three games shows ABC is airing (I'm guessing much of that has to do with its time slot), but WOW - it's hilarious. Almost as fun as the original.

Baldwin missed his calling as a game show host. He's perfect for Match Game.
Old 07-18-16, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah I'm perplexed by the ratings decline, Celebrity Family Feud is awful and I normally like the show.
Old 07-18-16, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yep, Leslie Jones is a great fit for this show...

I could watch a three-hour block of these on Sundays. I know it's the lowest rated of the three games shows ABC is airing (I'm guessing much of that has to do with its time slot), but WOW - it's hilarious. Almost as fun as the original.

Baldwin missed his calling as a game show host. He's perfect for Match Game.
Oh dear God, no. I couldn't handle Jones the way she was on Sunday's show more than once every now and then. She needs to dial it down several notches. The non-stop screaming has got to stop. Check out her appearance on Graham Norton a few weeks ago. That's the Leslie Jones I can handle. I agree with you about Baldwin. This is the perfect gig for him. I read he's donating his paycheck for this to charity. Good guy! I'm stunned this is the lowest rated of all three shows. "Celebrity Family Feud" is abysmal. And as I mentioned before, I do like the syndicated version with Steve Harvey. I'm still enjoying "Pyramid". But "Match Game" is my favorite.
Old 07-21-16, 07:53 PM
Banned

Holy shit, did Alec Baldwin tell a contestant to massage his balls?
Old 07-22-16, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I adored the old 70's show, spent many many nights watching GSN and catching just about every re-run I could find.

I have to say, this remake with Baldwin is complete gold. Nothing can replace the guests on the original, but this one had me laughing out loud quite a bit. Even if it does come off as a SNL sketch, it's a darn good one and one that I hope lasts a while. Hope they really invest in a couple of regulars...thought that was going to be Tituss and Rosie but then the last episode (streamed) didn't have them at all. Wonder if some of the old Match game celebrity guests are still around, all of them aren't gone right? (I know CNR, Richard Dawson and Brett are gone, but I think a couple of the semi-regulars are still kicking). That could be nice to mix in a couple of them. (maybe Fannie Flagg and Betty White?)
Old 07-22-16, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kedrix
I adored the old 70's show, spent many many nights watching GSN and catching just about every re-run I could find.

I have to say, this remake with Baldwin is complete gold. Nothing can replace the guests on the original, but this one had me laughing out loud quite a bit. Even if it does come off as a SNL sketch, it's a darn good one and one that I hope lasts a while. Hope they really invest in a couple of regulars...thought that was going to be Tituss and Rosie but then the last episode (streamed) didn't have them at all. Wonder if some of the old Match game celebrity guests are still around, all of them aren't gone right? (I know CNR, Richard Dawson and Brett are gone, but I think a couple of the semi-regulars are still kicking). That could be nice to mix in a couple of them. (maybe Fannie Flagg and Betty White?)
Half of the old regulars were embalmed anyways...
Old 07-22-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just a theory -- Match Game does not have the name recognition or recentness the other shows have. Do they promote it during those other shows?
Old 01-22-17, 01:17 AM
Banned

Well, the show is back and it's even funnier and dirtier than last season.

The current episode has a hot-blonde contestant who describes herself as a "MILF". Uh, I think she is correct.
Old 01-22-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I'm really enjoying it's resurgence but still too many blanks can be answered with body parts
or sex acts.

I'm not a prude but there are so many places to go with the blanks and they are relying too much on the easy joke.
Old 01-22-17, 04:13 PM
Banned

First time I can recall a game show contestant on broadcast TV describe herself as a MILF.
Old 01-23-17, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
First time I can recall a game show contestant on broadcast TV describe herself as a MILF.
And she was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.